Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Fausk wrote: »
    A food related question for you: Do you think you could cook something that wouldn't be called "bland, tasteless, and[/or] overseasoned" by Chef Ramsey?

And do you think we'll ever see you on like a "Celebrity Hell's Kitchen" if they ever come up with one?

Dominic, continuing on the theme, if you failed in your quest to avoid Ramsey's tirade, who d'you think would win in a fight?

Mine's $10 Ramsey cries by the end. He's a tough talker but deep down he's a sissy-boy... bit like Liam Gallagher!

On a more serious level, I heard you (in an interview or something) say that you were really determined to get the part of Guybrush. Did you try many very different approaches to the part initially, or did you always know how you'd like to approach his voice? (Sorry if it's already been asked!)
  • edited June 2009
    “I have a couple extra million bucks I need to get rid of. Would you mind spending it for me?”

What would you do with said extra million bucks?
  • edited June 2009
    Dom! This is important!

Legos, transformers, or fried chicken?
  • edited June 2009
    Ooh! Here's a question, I've forgot to ask earlier.

If (and only if) there was a Monkey Island film, would you take on the role of Guybrush Threepwood if it was live action? What about if it was animated?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but it's your fault for having too many fans, who want to ask you questions :P
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Dom, you previously mentioned the infamous "Monkey Island 5" April Fool's Joke at Mixnmojo.com. What's the story behind that? Were the lines from the outtakes written out beforehand, or did you ad-lib any? My favorite line being "I'm Guybrush Threepwood: lovable pirate and financial gold for Lucasarts!" Also, any chance some of those outtakes being used in TMI?
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    No, it was the fellas at Mojo who drove the whole thing, two of whom – Jake and Andrew – are now with Telltale. They put the whole thing together, got LucasArts’ blessing, and asked me if I’d be willing to help. They could tell you more about who specifically did what, but I just read what they gave me. And the outtakes were all fake outtakes – written specifically for that purpose.

Here's something I wrote up about it back on the day seven years ago (eep!).

Hopefully I dont get shifty eyes for outing everyone here, but old Mixnmojo-goers might recognize Telltale employees Andrew, David E, myself, and (recently departed for OpenDNS but formerly of Telltale) Doug Tabacco as a sizable chunk of the former writing and web programming team of that site (circa 7-10 years ago). We've since been sucked into the Telltale vortex, and only occasionally awkwardly squawk something out which sounds the alarms, like successfully naming every time Guybrush names a real world location in Monkey Island 2 at the drop of the hat (someone else please post your own version of that list to make me feel better).
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Here's something I wrote up about it back on the day seven years ago (eep!).

Hopefully I dont get shifty eyes for outing everyone here, but old Mixnmojo-goers might recognize Telltale employees Andrew, David E, myself, and (recently departed for OpenDNS but formerly of Telltale) Doug Tabacco as a sizable chunk of the former writing and web programming team of that site (circa 7-10 years ago). We've since been sucked into the Telltale vortex, and only occasionally awkwardly squawk something out which sounds the alarms, like successfully naming every time Guybrush names a real world location in Monkey Island 2 at the drop of the hat (someone else please post your own version of that list to make me feel better).

Bird noise?
  • edited June 2009
    Is the character animated based/adjusted on your movement when reading the lines, or is the animation already in final form when the lines are read? If there is any sort of interaction, could you give an example how it goes typically?

Secondly, does the cast read their lines with everyone involved in the scene present or is it solely the job sound director that character interactions matches in tone?
  • edited June 2009
    What's the best prank done to either you or someone else on the cast?
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic, what is your favourite non-adventure game? By that I mean conventional, mainstream stuff.

Also, what consoles do you own?

THIRDLY! Have you ever broken a controller in frustration?

FOUR! - What is your favourite movie?

five - Do you like nachos?
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Earl Boen spends too much time playing Monkey Island and decides to kidnap you and throw you into the city of real life Monkey Island, Florida. He keeps you in a little cage and decides to keep you from going insane - so he can torment you daily. Earl will give you one book, one video game and one food you will be able to read, play and eat for the rest of your life. But you will never be allowed to read a different book, play a different game or eat a different food or to leave the confines of the second smallest cage you've ever seen.

What do you pick?
    Video game, easy. Rock Band. It’s how I relax, it’s about the only game I can play every single day without getting sick of it, and beaucoup DLC. Food, assuming we’re ignoring nutritional concerns, Rigatoni all’Amatriciana. And book? Bill McLaury’s ”Encyclopedia of Escapes II”.
    Frostbite wrote: »
    Hey Dom!

You're a legend man! I'm still thinking of a question that worthy of an answer....Hmmmm... I can't get anything yet. If you just said 'Hi' I'd be happy.
    Hi!
    TheJoe wrote: »
    That's awesome! So what do you think of the Speech Project's Guybrush? (ooooh tough one!)
    See: Waiting to see the final product before making judgments... above :-)
    hplikelike wrote: »
    Do you have a Bacon number, or is that only for people in movies?
    Two. If you count television shows that run for years and years and people don’t have to be in the same episode, there are, like, thirty links. Otherwise, I have three that I know of:

I voiced Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring with Robbie Rist
    Robbie Rist was in Balto with Kevin Bacon

I voiced Star Wars: Force Commander with Tony Plana
    Tony Plana was in JFK with Kevin Bacon

I voiced Escape from Monkey Island with Edie McClurg
    Edie McClurg was in Planes, Trains & Automobiles with Kevin Bacon
    A food related question for you: Do you think you could cook something that wouldn't be called "bland, tasteless, and[/or] overseasoned" by Chef Ramsey?
    Absolutely! I haven’t watched Hell’s Kitchen much, but I’ve watched a ton of Kitchen Nightmares, and I really don’t think he’s that hard to please. I mean, I doubt I’d get him especially excited about anything, but I think you can at least escape his ire by simply getting some fresh ingredients and not butchering them. It’s people who either A) use crappy ingredients, B) just don’t give a s**t, or C) try to get cute and do way too much that annoy him. It’s easy enough to avoid those pitfalls.
    And do you think we'll ever see you on like a "Celebrity Hell's Kitchen" if they ever come up with one?
    Good god, no. It’s one thing to make a great dish. It’s another entirely to do it under those kind of constraints. Noooooooononnonononononono.
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Dominic, continuing on the theme, if you failed in your quest to avoid Ramsey's tirade, who d'you think would win in a fight?

Mine's $10 Ramsey cries by the end. He's a tough talker but deep down he's a sissy-boy... bit like Liam Gallagher!
    I dunno. I’m big, but I’m pretty squishy. In the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares, they make a point of filming him topless in every episode for a reason.
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    On a more serious level, I heard you (in an interview or something) say that you were really determined to get the part of Guybrush. Did you try many very different approaches to the part initially, or did you always know how you'd like to approach his voice? (Sorry if it's already been asked!)
    You don’t really get to take multiple shots at it. Maybe you could try a couple of different things, but it isn’t like you sit there for a while and play and play and play. Not while recording, anyway. I was trying to decide how to approach it, and of course I’d played the games and always heard myself reading Guybrush’s lines. And it always sounded pretty good to me. So I figured I might be able to kind of play up my more naïve and eager side, kick up the energy and sell myself as Guybrush. Worked.
    What would you do with said extra million bucks?
    Probably something boring like socking it away for retirement. But if we’re talking Brewster’s Millions style? Trips to Thailand, Vietnam, Morocco, Australia, New Zealand and Italy, a freaking incredible kitchen, and... oh... I suppose a house to go around it.
    Melancton wrote: »
    Dom! This is important!

Legos, transformers, or fried chicken?
    Wow. That is a hard one.

Um... fried chicken, legos and transformers. In that order.
    If (and only if) there was a Monkey Island film, would you take on the role of Guybrush Threepwood if it was live action? What about if it was animated?
    If live action, I doubt they’d want me. But absolutely in either case!
    Kraken wrote: »
    Is the character animated based/adjusted on your movement when reading the lines, or is the animation already in final form when the lines are read? If there is any sort of interaction, could you give an example how it goes typically?
    No, the animation is always done to the VO. That’s why, with traditional animation, the cutscenes are recorded so long before the rest of the game. I just lay my lines down, and they work around me.
    Azubah wrote: »
    What's the best prank done to either you or someone else on the cast?
    Well, as mentioned above, I only meet a small portion of the cast (if I’m lucky), and I barely spend any time at all with those I do, so it isn’t like we’re spending lots of time together, getting to know each other and screwing around.
    Fury wrote: »
    Also, what consoles do you own?
    Working backwards – Wii, 360, Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, Japanese PS2 (for Guitar Freaks), N64, PS, Sega Saturn (used, purchased exclusively for Death Tank), Sega CD, Sega Genesis, NES, Atari.
    THIRDLY! Have you ever broken a controller in frustration?
    Nope. Burned through a few fake guitars due to overuse, though.
    FOUR! - What is your favourite movie?
    Not fair. You have to give me a handful, at least.

Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, Blade Runner (Director’s Cut), Goodfellas, Lawrence of Arabia, Magnolia, Kieslowski’s Three Colors Trilogy, and just about everything from Terry Gilliam, The Coen Brothers and Jean-Pierre Jeunet .
    five - Do you like nachos?
    If they’re good nachos.
  • edited June 2009
    oof you missed out on the SNES? that was the best console ever!
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    oof you missed out on the SNES? that was the best console ever!
    Far worse is missing out on the Dreamcast.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    Terry Gilliam is a genius. Seen any Monty Python? The faces he pulls in the Holy Grail are enough.

But damn - Twelve Monkeys is one of the best films I've ever seen.
  • edited June 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Terry Gilliam is a genius. Seen any Monty Python?

You should never have to ask that to any adult ever.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    This is true. But I've seen many Americans who have never heard of Monteeeee Pithone. And one French guy.
  • edited June 2009
    Far worse is missing out on the Dreamcast.
    The Dreamcast was good, but the SNES just had a sheer number of amazing games and is considered by most to be THE greatest console so far, with the PS2 coming in at #2. Dreamcast would be like #5 on that list, sorry.
  • edited June 2009
    Short Question: Any chance of going to visit Romania?
  • edited June 2009
    How did you record the line "dmnkly" in the special edition? (sorry if I'm meant to be keeping this TellTale, love you guys too!)
  • edited June 2009
    I am currently searching for a game. Knowing that you play old games, maybe you've heard of it. It involves time travelling, one sequence takes place in ancient Venice (where you have to work with pots, or do pottery and break seals, or collect seals), and the gameplay is similar to the one in the Myst series, first person adventure game.
    I can't remember the name. Any ideea?
    Have you ever played Call of Cthulhu or Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)?
    What do you think about the Silent Hill Series?
  • edited June 2009
    I am currently searching for a game. Knowing that you play old games, maybe you've heard of it. It involves time travelling, one sequence takes place in ancient Venice (where you have to work with pots, or do pottery and break seals, or collect seals), and the gameplay is similar to the one in the Myst series, first person adventure game.

Not sure about the Venice bit but the rest seems familiar - could be one of The Journeyman Project games I think.
  • edited June 2009
    This may have been asked already.. are doing the voice for any other (minor?) chatacters in Tales?
  • edited June 2009
    How do you think Guybrush would take on our current Somolian pirate trouble? How would you if you were a modern day pirate?
  • edited June 2009
    How do you think Guybrush would take on our current Somolian pirate trouble? How would you if you were a modern day pirate?

In addition to that question: What weapon would he use?
  • edited June 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    Actually, that's one of the old LA titles that I never played. Can't imagine how, since everybody else loves it. Upside is that for me, it'll be like having a completely new classic LucasArts adventure years after the fact when I finally do get around to playing it.
    Do you happen to have a copy of Day of the Tentacle? Because if you do - Maniac Mansion is part of it; you can play it on the computer in one of the bedrooms... :D
    Jake wrote: »
    (recently departed for OpenDNS but formerly of Telltale) Doug Tabacco
    Actually, I kind of started wondering where he had disappeared to...

But - OpenDNS, your friendly neighbourhood DNS provider and NXDOMAIN redirectory?

You're not making this up, are you? :D

np: Tosca - La Vendeuse Des Chaussures Des Femmes (Part 1) (Dehli9 (Disc 1))
  • edited June 2009
    If you could make your own MI game, what would be the plot? If you could make your own non-MI game, what would it be? In other words, what, to you, would be the ideal video game?
  • edited June 2009
    That sounds like the demo of Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time. I've played it, and that's a pretty accurate description. I haven't played the full game, though.

Okay, here's a question. Is there any food you can't stand?
  • edited June 2009
    I know you've mentioned that to do any voicework, Dom, it'd need to be cleared through the union. What about interviews? A friend of mine is in college radio and would be interested in generating some buzz for TMI and SoMI:SE up in Ottawa. What would she need to do to clear the legal stuff?
  • edited June 2009
    What books did you read growing up? I take it you weren't a mild-mannered Beverly Cleary reader, eh?
  • edited June 2009
    What is the meaning of life?
  • edited June 2009
    Have you ever watched Olympic Curling?

Gah I've clearly run out of questions. Just ignore me now.
  • edited June 2009
    I've read all the replies, so here's hoping I didn't forget a question. I've come up with a few!

1. You were a fan of Guybrush before you got the role. When was it that it kind of settled in that you were the official voice of Guybrush? Right away? A few minutes after you got the role? As you were acting, while you played the finished game for the first time, or some other time that I'm not even thinking of?

2. What are the differences between working on a Monkey Island game for the first time, working on the Special Edition, and working with Telltale? Does Telltale's schedule, as an episodic game company, differ for you as opposed to LucasArts for Curse or Special Edition?

3. I love the way you say "LeChuck" in the "dog-whispering" part of the making-of video for the Special Edition. What was voicing that scene like? With what has to be intelligible amongst animal sounds.

4. How's your day been?
  • edited June 2009
    I have some questions:
    1. I’m guessing the Monkey Island games are the greatest thing you have ever voiced for, what would be the second greatest?
    2. Does your family still ask you to get a “real” job?
    3. If you could have one of Guybrush’s traits \ qualities, what would it be?
    4. How many Monkey Island games do you think you will get to do before you <insert euphemism for “die” here> ?
    5. Do you do much "physical acting"?... you know, the type where you have to *shudders* move...
    6. Do you think that having to wait way too long for MI5 could actually be a good thing?
    7. What’s your favourite internet meme?
    8. REALY?

And lastly… I’ve seen to many great people take what they do for granted. Just once in a while, look yourself in the mirror, and say to yourself “WOW, I am Dominic Armato, and that is amazing!”

-The Batfrog
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • edited June 2009
    I have another question... (sorry if already been asked)

Do the animators on Tales (and other productions) video you as you record the VO and use your facial expressions / mannerisms / body language to help animating the characters?
  • edited June 2009
    You have a one-way use of a time machine. Would you rather go to 1990 or 1997?

It’s 2039. What made you prouder –
    1. You VOed every MI title to date – and there were at least 30
    2. You're the first man on Mars
  • edited June 2009
    Off-Topic: For Shwoo and Corruptbiggins, thank you, I will look into it. As far as I have seen (screenshots), looks a lot like my vague memories of it. Cheers! uh, I mean...Free Grog!
  • edited June 2009
    Do you think that having to wait way too long for MI5 could actually be a good thing?

We're still waiting for MI5, don't forget. AFAIR Dave Grossman said that ToMI is not really an official-sequel, it's a story within the MI-scenery and the characters.
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    We're still waiting for MI5, don't forget. AFAIR Dave Grossman said that ToMI is not really an official-sequel, it's a story within the MI-scenery and the characters.
    It was also said that ToMI not being MI5 was a gag that people took far too seriously.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    It was also said that ToMI not being MI5 was a gag that people took far too seriously.
    But I woudln't mind if it's not MI5. We're still missing an official MI3... so confusing.^^
  • edited June 2009
    Ok, so, in your opinion, who would win in a fight: a pirate or a ninja? Wait... DOH!
  • edited June 2009
    A pirate! Of course! He has the invisibility cloak of...no, wait. Zorro would win! Totally.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.