Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    This is awesome, had a great time reading the Q/As so far! And a lot of laughs :)

Don't have any questions myself, just want to say good luck with the rest of the work, both to Dominic and the many others who are making this happen -- can't wait to play :)
  • edited June 2009
    First, if your going to New Haven for pizza you are literally blocks away from Louis' Lunch and while the Hamburger might not be the best thing in the world (it's served on toasted white bread... weird) its definately worth adding to your list of places you've eaten...

Also since questions regarding time travel have made their way into the thread I'm going to ask you the question I asked my high school principal my senior year.

"If you were to travel to a parallel dimension where everybody existed as they do in our world, except their genders were reversed, and met the female version of yourself would you attempt to have relations with them? Follow up question if you did have relations with yourself what would it be classified as?"

He answered honestly that he would if she was hot and that it would definately be classifed as sex... its hard to believe he lost his job for usage of illegal substances on the job.
  • edited June 2009
    How many takes did you need to get the line "Ipecac (Cephaelis Ipecacuanha)" right, also what is the hardest line you have had to say?
  • edited June 2009
    I was just going to ask if you had a hard time while recording as El Pollo Diablo: "Si, he dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti"
    Do you speak other languages?
  • edited June 2009
    What do you think of the voice acting in THIS MI video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoO9JslgBk
  • edited June 2009
    Vongrove wrote: »
    ... Also since questions regarding time travel have made their way into the thread I'm going to ask you the question I asked my high school principal my senior year.

"If you were to travel to a parallel dimension where everybody existed as they do in our world, except their genders were reversed, and met the female version of yourself would you attempt to have relations with them? Follow up question if you did have relations with yourself what would it be classified as?" ...

A Robert Heinlein short story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%94All_You_Zombies%E2%80%94
  • edited June 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    Ar as in “Arrrrrrrrr, matey.” Ma as in, “Hey, Ma, I’m running off to become a pirate!” And To as in “I can’t feel my left big toe because of the scurvy.” If scurvy caused circulatory problems, that is. I don’t think it does. But you take my point. (Emphasis on the second syllable.)

You say Armato, and I say Armato...

let call the whole thing off.
  • edited June 2009
    Have you ever had a Monkey Island insult sword fight using lightsabers?

And if not - WHY NOT?
  • edited June 2009

And if not - WHY NOT?

I for one have done that FAR too many times.
  • edited June 2009
    You know that you can activate lightsaber sounds in "Curse of Monkey Island" by pressing Shift-J during the fights, right?
  • edited June 2009
    Do you find yourself randomly quoting MI (or other video games) in public?
    Do you get strange looks when you do this?

Also, probably been asked, but aside from MI, what are your all time favourite video games? Not just adventure games ever, are there any other genres you enjoy?

Also, do the rabid telltale fans scare you yet?
  • edited June 2009
    Sad thing, playing through SOMI again today... I was quoting the replies to the insults before Guybrush had learned them... oh man... even after all these years, it's like it's embedded into my brain!
  • edited June 2009
    Where have you been the last few days?
  • edited June 2009
    hplikelike wrote: »

Oez Noez! He has escaped the TTG dungeons! :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    Sad thing, playing through SOMI again today... I was quoting the replies to the insults before Guybrush had learned them... oh man... even after all these years, it's like it's embedded into my brain!

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
  • edited June 2009
    Demonic , who has the voice behind Murray? I have always wondered about that. I hope you can answer me, because my friend is a big fan of you, and I want to show him your answer to my question. Or else I will be dissaptointed. I love you, Dominic. Please, answer me. I'm a big fan. I just want to say hello, so I can show my friend. Please. I'm a big fan.

I hope you enjoy the voice cast as Guybrush.

PS: Who is the voice of Stan?
  • edited June 2009
    Quick random and maybe slightly silly questions

1) Do you like any other Piratey things other than the adformentioned Pirate Trilogy?

2) You mentioned Disney earlier on: Do you have a fave Disney film and ride?

3) Coffee or Tea and do you take sugar with that?
  • edited June 2009
    Zeph wrote: »
    Demonic , who has the voice behind Murray? I have always wondered about that. I hope you can answer me, because my friend is a big fan of you, and I want to show him your answer to my question. Or else I will be dissaptointed. I love you, Dominic. Please, answer me. I'm a big fan. I just want to say hello, so I can show my friend. Please. I'm a big fan.

I hope you enjoy the voice cast as Guybrush.

The Voice of Murry is Denny Delk and Stan's is Patrick Pinney.
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for answering my question - I appreciate it.
  • edited June 2009
    Your welcome.
  • edited June 2009
    Your welcome.
    Actually I was talking to Dom. >_>
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Actually I was talking to Dom. >_>

Didn't I answer YOUR question. I mean, your name IS Zeph righ... wait... DOH! *triple facepalm*
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, all!
    Answers, ultra-brief edition. We’re T-minus eight days and counting to moving day, and three of those eight days will be spent in Cleveland. And with that, I think I’ve already answered one of my questions. Also, past four nights = less than three hours of sleep each. Consider coherence a bonus for this round.
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Terry Gilliam is a genius. Seen any Monty Python?
    Yes, and of course.
    Short Question: Any chance of going to visit Romania?
    Everybody I know who has spent time in Eastern Europe loves it. It’s on the list. But realistically? I used to travel outside the country monthly. Since kids? My last trip was almost exactly two years ago. And Thailand/Vietnam, Australia/New Zealand and Morocco are still tippy-top of my wish list. I doubt I’ll even manage those three. So it’s unlikely. Too many countries. Too little time.
    Scapetti wrote: »
    How did you record the line "dmnkly" in the special edition? (sorry if I'm meant to be keeping this TellTale, love you guys too!)
    I’ll simply point out the humor in you asking me to relay – in print – how I pronounced something that’s supposed to be unpronounceable and leave it at that :-)
    I am currently searching for a game. Knowing that you play old games, maybe you've heard of it. It involves time travelling, one sequence takes place in ancient Venice (where you have to work with pots, or do pottery and break seals, or collect seals), and the gameplay is similar to the one in the Myst series, first person adventure game.
    I can't remember the name. Any ideea?
    No idea. But is sounds like some other folks have some good ideas.
    Have you ever played Call of Cthulhu or Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)?
    Neither. Indigo Prophecy was on my list, but I never got there.
    What do you think about the Silent Hill Series?
    Never played any of them. Though I heard Silent Hill 2 was supremely disturbing.
    This may have been asked already.. are doing the voice for any other (minor?) chatacters in Tales?
    This may have been answered already... a parrot.
    How do you think Guybrush would take on our current Somolian pirate trouble? How would you if you were a modern day pirate?
    I think he’d be thrilled about it until he tried to join them and found himself taken hostage instead. Me? I just love Googling the word “pirate” and getting current events. Awesome.
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    In addition to that question: What weapon would he use?
    Something menacing but still laughable, I suppose. What do Somalian pirates use? Machetes? A pink machete.
    Leak wrote: »
    Do you happen to have a copy of Day of the Tentacle? Because if you do - Maniac Mansion is part of it; you can play it on the computer in one of the bedrooms... :Dp
    I have it, actually! Just haven’t gotten around to it.
    If you could make your own MI game, what would be the plot? If you could make your own non-MI game, what would it be? In other words, what, to you, would be the ideal video game?
    I apologize, this question requires waaaaaaay more brain power than I have at my disposal tonight. Ask it again and I’ll give it a shot on the next go-through.
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Okay, here's a question. Is there any food you can't stand?
    I kind of already answered (the mysterious evil Chinese tofu dish, mentioned upthread), but what the hell, I’ll answer again. I just can’t stand food that isn’t good. I don’t care what it’s made of. I don’t care whether it’s expensive or cheap. All foods have their charms when they're done well, as far as I’m concerned. So while (with the exception of the aforementioned tofu) I’ve yet to meet a foodstuff I don’t like under the right circumstances, the flipside of that is that every single food has the potential to disappoint. Make it good, I don’t care what it is, I’ll love it. Screw it up, it could be my favorite ingredient in the world, I’ll still hate you for it.
    I know you've mentioned that to do any voicework, Dom, it'd need to be cleared through the union. What about interviews? A friend of mine is in college radio and would be interested in generating some buzz for TMI and SoMI:SE up in Ottawa. What would she need to do to clear the legal stuff?
    I don’t think there is any for that kind of thing. Drop me a line! Just please be understanding when it takes me forever to respond. I’m beyond crushed at the moment.
    What books did you read growing up? I take it you weren't a mild-mannered Beverly Cleary reader, eh?
    Ha! Not likely. Early grammar school was mostly the Hardy Boys. Which is even more milquetoast than Beverly Cleary. But in my defense, I was six. ‘Round fourth or fifth grade, much as it pains me to admit it, a friend got me hooked on Piers Anthony. Which, when I think back on it, must’ve been shockingly trashy based on what I remember of the plot. Painful anecdote (that I can’t believe I’m revealing online). I recall, sometime while in fifth grade, my mother picking me up at school and me diving into the back of the minivan, face buried in On A Pale Horse. I was reading while we waited for my sister, when I came across a word previously unknown to me. “Hey Mom... what does fornicated mean?” I doubt I’ll ever forget the look on her face as she turned to look at me. She kept her cool, but I immediately realized I’d somehow blundered – I just didn’t comprehend the true scope of how epic this little scenario was rapidly becoming. “Read me the sentence.” With more than a little trepidation, I did as instructed. “I have fornicated with a demon of hell.” And after a long painful pause, “What are you reading?” So I told her. And she told me what fornicated meant. And it is, quite possibly, the most embarrassed I have ever been in the presence of my mother in my entire life.

That and the Neverending Story. Hooray for the Neverending Story.
    Teppic wrote: »
    What is the meaning of life?
    Some number, apparently. I forget which. You’d think I’d write something so important down.
    Fury wrote: »
    Have you ever watched Olympic Curling?
    Who didn’t?
    1. You were a fan of Guybrush before you got the role. When was it that it kind of settled in that you were the official voice of Guybrush? Right away? A few minutes after you got the role? As you were acting, while you played the finished game for the first time, or some other time that I'm not even thinking of?
    I think when I first saw the whole thing put together with my voice, which would have been the CMI demo that was distributed with PC Gamer magazine. That kind of brings it home.
    2. What are the differences between working on a Monkey Island game for the first time, working on the Special Edition, and working with Telltale? Does Telltale's schedule, as an episodic game company, differ for you as opposed to LucasArts for Curse or Special Edition?
    CMI and EMI were marathons. It’d be 20-something 4 hour sessions. It was like disappearing into a studio for a month. The Special Edition was a crazy amount of fun because we did it on the Presidio and I got to hang out with the crew and tour the Lucas empire and all of the accompanying fun stuff. Telltale’s another vibe. We’re working out of a tiny little studio in a laid-back town (Fairfax), and I’m flying in for just a couple of days at a time, every five weeks or so. So, yeah, in terms of schedule and pacing, they’re all very different.
    3. I love the way you say "LeChuck" in the "dog-whispering" part of the making-of video for the Special Edition. What was voicing that scene like? With what has to be intelligible amongst animal sounds.
    That’s the fun stuff, when you find yourself – in all seriousness – asking questions like, “So, do you think I should actually try to kind of imitate dog sounds as implied by the text, or read them straight-up as though they’re normal English text? If I recall, I think we settled on leaning towards the former for everything except for “LeChuck”, which was the latter. For maximum funny, of course. (With the caveat that my memory may fail me).
    4. How's your day been?
    Sleepless. I’m not exaggerating about the amount of sleep I’m operating on. I think my heart might stop before we get to Boston.
    [*]I’m guessing the Monkey Island games are the greatest thing you have ever voiced for, what would be the second greatest?
    Sputz in Rocket Power is the second biggest, but not in terms of personal pride. Probably Star Wars Racer. I had an awful lot of fun with Ben Quadrinaros and Clegg Holdfast.
    [*]Does your family still ask you to get a “real” job?
    Oh, gosh, no. Never did. They were always totally behind it. I did a lot of work as a kid and they saw very early on how big it could be. But they would have been equally supportive nonetheless.
    [*]If you could have one of Guybrush’s traits \ qualities, what would it be?
    His unabashed zeal. I hope I’m always that jazzed about everything I do.
    [*]How many Monkey Island games do you think you will get to do before you <insert euphemism for “die” here> ?
    I’m still trying not to take it for granted that the two current projects suddenly sprang up. No idea, nor do I care to speculate. I just consider myself that much more fortunate with each passing incarnation.
    [*]Do you do much "physical acting"?... you know, the type where you have to *shudders* move...
    If by that you mean theater/on-camera, no, not any more. Did a lot of theater as a kid, and had a few on-camera credits, but early on in my L.A. stint, I decided that VO was really my thing and I kind of stopped pursuing the on-camera.

BUT, don’t think for a second that VO isn’t physical. Particularly with character work, if you aren’t moving, you’re doing it wrong. If you stand absolutely still, it’ll show in your performance. We all move. To varying degrees, of course. Some people have subtle little motions they do as they’re acting on mic, and others have to fight their instinct to throw themselves around the studio. But at whatever level, that physical involvement in the work comes through. If you stand still, you sound flat.
    [*]Do you think that having to wait way too long for MI5 could actually be a good thing?
    Probably, actually. I think a little time off has only sharpened people’s appetite, and will heighten their appreciation.
    [*]What’s your favourite internet meme?
    Gosh, no clue... I delete those routinely.
    [*]REALY?
    REALY.
    Do the animators on Tales (and other productions) video you as you record the VO and use your facial expressions / mannerisms / body language to help animating the characters?
    Nope. Not at Telltale. I’ve only done that kind of thing once, for Crysis, where they painted little dots on my face, stuck a camera in front of me as I read, and mocapped my facial expressions as I died by alien hands in scores of different ways.
    You have a one-way use of a time machine. Would you rather go to 1990 or 1997?
    1990. Then I get 1997, too (not to mention 1991-1996).
    It’s 2039. What made you prouder –
    1. You VOed every MI title to date – and there were at least 30
    2. You're the first man on Mars
    Much as I love Monkey Island, I have to go with Mars. Guybrush would understand.
    Ok, so, in your opinion, who would win in a fight: a pirate or a ninja? Wait... DOH!
    Ninja. But the pirate could die with the knowledge that he’s still cooler.
    Vongrove wrote: »
    "If you were to travel to a parallel dimension where everybody existed as they do in our world, except their genders were reversed, and met the female version of yourself would you attempt to have relations with them? Follow up question if you did have relations with yourself what would it be classified as?"
    Probably not. There would be plenty of other parallel guy/girls out there that wouldn’t involve creepy baggage.
    WarlordX40 wrote: »
    How many takes did you need to get the line "Ipecac (Cephaelis Ipecacuanha)" right, also what is the hardest line you have had to say?
    Just once or twice. That’s not tricky. And the hardest line is always something you’d never expect. Some normal turn of phrase that you just get hung up on and blow ten consecutive takes. Those weird mental stutters are always harder than any actual tongue-twister.
    Ignatius wrote: »
    I was just going to ask if you had a hard time while recording as El Pollo Diablo: "Si, he dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti"
    Not so much. It’s one line, so I just had to practice it a few times.
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Do you speak other languages?
    Ho studiato Italiano nell’universitá multi anni fa, ma ho dimenticato tutto.
    What do you think of the voice acting in THIS MI video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoO9JslgBk
    Awesome. And I mean that in all sincerity.

And if not - WHY NOT?
    Sorry, just fell asleep at the keyboard (nothing to do with your question). To answer your question, with whom, precisely? “Excuse me, sir? Would you mind taking this lightsabre so we might engage in insult swordfighting? It’s from a video game from twenty years ago, you see, and I just thought it would be cooler if—sir? SIR? Where are you going?”
    Do you find yourself randomly quoting MI (or other video games) in public?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

(If you guys keep setting it up, I’m going to keep knocking it down.)
    Do you get strange looks when you do this?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no. (Stop me now before I hurt myself!)
    Also, do the rabid telltale fans scare you yet?
    Oh, gosh, no. It’s the ones with scabies that give me the jibblies.
    Not sleeping. See above.
    Answered by others, I believe, but it’s Denny Delk, and he’s awesome.
    No idea!
    1) Do you like any other Piratey things other than the adformentioned Pirate Trilogy?
    Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride). Not so much actual piracy (see Lawful Neutral, above).
    2) You mentioned Disney earlier on: Do you have a fave Disney film and ride?
    Ride, PotC, no question. Film? Hmmmmm... the Pixar stuff is really all pretty fricking brilliant, but I did catch about half of Lilo & Stitch the other day and was surprised by how good it was.
    3) Coffee or Tea and do you take sugar with that?
    Diet Pepsi. If they ever determine that aspartame is a problem (really, actually scientifically determine it, not “I read it on the internet so it must be true” determine it), I’m screwed. I never drink tea, and the only coffee I have is the occasional espresso. With sugar. Which I used to feel embarrassed about, until I started noticing that all of the older men in Italy dump sugar in their espresso. Far more than I do, actually. So I guess I was inadvertently on the right track.

To bed!
  • edited June 2009

Some number, apparently. I forget which. You’d think I’d write something so important down.

• edited June 2009
    Answers, ultra-brief edition.

You have a rather odd definition of "ultra-brief" don't you? :D That was one of the longest posts ever! And although some of the replies were in themselves brief...some were full, detailed explanations! Haha!

P.S. Goodnight!
  • edited June 2009
    Dom, if it's work getting in your way, say you've caught swine flu!

No, wait, they'll test you.

Say you've caught the bubonic plague. Then when you've had a good night's sleep say you prayed to be healed and it was a miracle, then the religious groups wouldn't let you get fired :p
  • edited June 2009
    wow, a fan of Xanth? I recently went and won an auction for most of the early books off the ebay...took me right back to when i was a kid reading them.

now the question must be asked, which is your favorite in the series? Ogre, Ogre and Night Mare are tied as my faves.
  • edited June 2009
    Aw, man. I must have been drunk when I wrote that post. Thanks for the answers though. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you for being honest with your inability to answer my video game question at this time. Most people would have made up some halfbaked answer, but you knew your limits. I respect that. If you get enough sleep this time...
    If you could make your own MI game, what would be the plot? If you could make your own non-MI game, what would it be? In other words, what, to you, would be the ideal video game?
  • edited June 2009
    Excluding game and TV shows and movies that you -did- VO, which game/movie/show would you have wanted to VO? And which character in particular?
  • edited June 2009
    Cleveland?
  • edited June 2009

I was never aware of it, also after briefly scanning the wiki page you linked to its not exactly the same thing, because mine has the two parties existing as two separate entities from two separate world's rather than the same entity existing as different genders within the timeline of the same world... Still I will be reading it when I get the chance.

However, Dom's answer was beautifully put and outside the box as most people focus more on themselve in the scenario rather than the other's who would also be around.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok then, D&D question time! Because I totally noticed D&D mentioned.

What's your class of choice?
    Do you own D20's? How many?
    Have you ever played any of the computer games? If so, what'd you think? if not, WHY NOT?

Have you ever actually role played?

Also, do you celebrate international talk like a pirate day?
  • edited June 2009
    I am currently searching for a game. Knowing that you play old games, maybe you've heard of it. It involves time travelling, one sequence takes place in ancient Venice (where you have to work with pots, or do pottery and break seals, or collect seals), and the gameplay is similar to the one in the Myst series, first person adventure game.
    I can't remember the name. Any ideea?
    Have you ever played Call of Cthulhu or Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)?
    What do you think about the Silent Hill Series?

That sounds an awful lot like the Second Journey Man Project game.
  • edited June 2009
    By the way, the fact that you answer EVERY SINGLE QUESTION we think up makes you so much cooler then every other Q&A I've ever encountered.

Now for my question: How do you type with boxing gloves on?

Wait... wrong forum.

Do you ever quote MI in real life?
  • edited June 2009
    Do you ever quote MI in real life?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm no.
  • edited June 2009
    Dom, sei sicuro di non ricordare proprio niente dell'italiano?

P.S. Si dice molti, non multi ;)
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm no.

Yeah... that was the joke... it was a reference to This

Oh well Mr. Armato, guess you don't need to answer it. Spend your tyme on more worthy questions.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom, love your blog (I love to cook, always looking for new flavours :)), I've tried 2 of your recipes so far (crispy chicken thighs and cauliflower pasta), yum yum!

All the best to you and your family, I hope all of you arrive at your new home safe and sound.

So I was wondering - the voice acting job doesn't seem to be a '5 days per week 9to5' thing, and you mentioned that your wife has a steady income, so what are you doing with your "spare" time ? Except cooking, that is - are there other jobs or is taming the kids more than enough ? :)

Best regards,
    Phil
  • edited June 2009
    lolz about the piers anthony situation xD i had a very similar situation when i read his xanth novel titled "the color of her panties" i had to somehow come up with an explanation about why i was read a book with the word panties in the title hehehe
Sign in to comment in this discussion.