Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    You see Dom, that's why its amazing your here. You think of stuff we don't.

Anyway, here's the question: Like almost every franchise which goes through multiple sequels with different writers (like Superman comic books), there tends to be a few plot holes and inconsistency. From what I've read about MI, there seems to be quite a few. My question is: how do you deal with/explain the plot holes when you (as a fan) play the games?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    hplikelike wrote: »

Anyway, here's the question: Like almost every franchise which goes through multiple sequels with different writers (like Superman comic books), there tends to be a few plot holes and inconsistency. From what I've read about MI, there seems to be quite a few. My question is: how do you deal with/explain the plot holes when you (as a fan) play the games?

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax"
  • edited June 2009
    Okay, just got my pre-order in, just got into the forum, and I fully intend to read through EVERYTHING, because all looks great! But first thing's first, I had to hop in here and say, Dominic Armato is the only Guybrush for me! I was happy when I heard there'd be new Monkey Island (I almost gave up hope!), thrilled when I heard we'd have you back for the new game, and ecstatic when I heard there'd be a revamp of SMI with the CMI voice cast! You guys are amazing!

As an aside, I got into an argument with a friend from Quebec once who claimed that the French voice actor was better. He sent me a clip and I had to break it to him that this was no Guybrush Threepwood. Sorry, buddy, but this time I've gotta disagree!

All right, ridiculous fan-stuff is over. Return to you thread, I've got reading to do!
  • edited June 2009
    bman69 wrote: »
    hey dom, first off, the voice of guybrush wouldnt be authentic if it wasnt for you, my question is, i am from the uk and my birthday is on july 4th, would i be classed as a god if i visited the usa on my birthday? lol

I know I'm not Dom but i'm just gonna say I think you'll be fine I'll be visiting the UK on the 4th from the US so I think that the balance of nationalities will be preserved and everything will be fine.
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »

haha, I couldn't care less. I've never played a game. I'm just wondering how others cope. I expect that you get that complaint so much it must hurt by now, though, so I understand.:)
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »

I dunno! I reckon if you're a fan of a story (in whatever form) and there are inconsistencies, to not get a little twitch at things that don't make sense would mean you're so laid back your probably dead.

Bearing in mind it was written at different times to facilitate different story-arcs, I don't get much of a twitch about it though :p
  • edited June 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    In terms of non-MI, I’d be less interested in doing a specific story as I would be in doing something – anything – that had some serious emotional depth. We talk about how video games haven’t yet seen their Citizen Kane, and that’s what I’d love to see – something that is playable and enjoyable as a game, but has the kind of artistic and emotional depth that is typically reserved for more traditional media. I feel like there have been some games that have touched on that, but they’re not quite there and I can’t wait for that breakthrough. I just hope it happens before Roger Ebert shuffles off this mortal coil so we can all say “We told you so!”
    My vote goes to Planescape: Torment, though it is almost book-like with all that text. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape_torment
    Anyone tried it? Dominic?

Also thanks for answering all these questions, Dom! It's a great read
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    I dunno! I reckon if you're a fan of a story (in whatever form) and there are inconsistencies, to not get a little twitch at things that don't make sense would mean you're so laid back your probably dead.

Been there Done that :cool:

PS this things 25 pages long!
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom,
    I have another question: There have been a lot of bad vibes about the last Monkey Island game, so what did you think of EMI?
    Also, what do you picture the secret of Monkey Island to be?
  • edited June 2009
    Hola again Dom, could you pretty please upload a video of yourself speaking in your normal voice and then as Guybrush? I'm sure a lot of us would find it really interesting! :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dom,

A few famous faces are fans of MI such as Elijah Wood, Dustin Diamond, Steven Spielberg, I even heard Dolph Lundgren is a fan. I was wondering if you met any of them or if they have met you and recognised your voice???
  • edited June 2009
    Sitting in a public place and hearing somebody answer an electronic device that's speaking in my voice? Now that would be surreal.

I remember hearing a VO-performer telling how she'd entered an elevator, only to have it talk to her in her own voice...

As for questions:

You've talked a bit about your other work - but what has been your favorite assignment, apart from Mr. Threepwood?

You're a fan of the series. Now, fans are a particularly difficult breed, often going on about continuity and adherence to the creator's ideals, and how these young whippersnapping games are getting everything all wrong. Game designers can be that way as well, complaining how they never wanted the secret of Big Whoop to be revealed or Guybrush and Elaine to marry. In that vein: what have you been most dissapointed/ angry/ befuddled about in the continuing MI saga?

You're saying you wanted to take a break from VO. What do you do apart from VO? Are you a house dad, or do you have a Real Job?

And thank you for putting up with questions - contrary to what I would have believed, I'm actually enjoying reading them.
  • edited June 2009
    Saile wrote: »
    I remember hearing a VO-performer telling how she'd entered an elevator, only to have it talk to her in her own voice...
    Well, John Cleese did voice work for some company's car navigation system - I wonder how creepy he'd find using it himself all day long... :)

np: Whitetree - Tangerine (Cloudland)
  • edited June 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Well, John Cleese did voice work for some company's car navigation system - I wonder how creepy he'd find using it himself all day long... :)

np: Whitetree - Tangerine (Cloudland)

I already thank the lift if there's nobody about (yeah I know, i'm mental :p)
  • edited June 2009
    I already thank the lift if there's nobody about
    When the machines overthrow their human overlords, you will be blessed with a quick and painless death.
  • edited June 2009
    When the machines overthrow their human overlords, you will be blessed with a quick and painless death.

Only the talking ones, obviously. Thanking a non-talking lift would just be silly.
  • Sean ASean A Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Dom:

1. You mentioned liking Jeunet. Even Alien: Resurrection? (Otherwise I agree. :)

2. Any chance (and sorry if I missed this in questions above, I'm trying to keep up with the whole thread but it's hard and you're doing a hell of a job) we can get Guybrush saying "Avast, ye Text Message!" for download? (Or something like it.)
  • edited June 2009
    Shoemonkey wrote: »
    Dom:

1. You mentioned liking Jeunet. Even Alien: Resurrection? (Otherwise I agree. :)

2. Any chance (and sorry if I missed this in questions above, I'm trying to keep up with the whole thread but it's hard and you're doing a hell of a job) we can get Guybrush saying "Avast, ye Text Message!" for download? (Or something like it.)
    Hola again Dom, could you pretty please upload a video of yourself speaking in your normal voice and then as Guybrush? I'm sure a lot of us would find it really interesting!

Dom, can you draw Trogdor again?

Guys, I understand that if you never ask for something, you'll never get it, but, let's try to remember that he's not here to fulfill our every single wish. Plus, as he's said numerous times before, his union limits what he can do with his acting. Think about it, if you were the head of a union, how would you feel if an actor started giving away a whole bunch of stuff for free without contacting you first?

Tell you what, let's put an end to this once and for all.

Dom, my question is, what can you do and what can't you do? What should people give up trying to get from you, and what do they have a slim chance of getting?
  • edited June 2009
    Guys, I understand that if you never ask for something, you'll never get it, but, let's try to remember that he's not here to fulfill our every single wish. Plus, as he's said numerous times before, his union limits what he can do with his acting. Think about it, if you were the head of a union, how would you feel if an actor started giving away a whole bunch of stuff for free without contacting you first?

Unions are bolshy left-wing rubbish :) [/flipancy)

But I agree.
  • edited June 2009
    Dom, my question is, what can you do and what can't you do? What should people give up trying to get from you, and what do they have a slim chance of getting?

Ummm, my apologies if I intervene, but I don't think that it is a proper choice of words. "what should people give up trying to get from you" - How about we all just stick to the questions. A simple answer should be more than enough, and way more than we should ever ask. Getting doesn't sound right to me. Dom is a great guy and very friendly. Let's not push the boundaries of politeness-ness-ness-itivity...okay? :)
    Once again, sorry, but I needed to say this. Let's calm down...
  • edited June 2009
    The MI fanbase are very cheeky aren't they... maybe it's the bad example Guybrush gave us?
  • Sean ASean A Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009

Tell you what, let's put an end to this once and for all.

Sorry, should've clarified. I was thinking more along the lines of an official Telltale download. Not something posted in the forums.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi all

I liked the Mists of Time part a lot from the previous game.

Keep up the good work !

Janus.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom, you mentioned that you barely know the rest of the cast of other monkey island games. Why don't you organize a little dinner or something for Tales? Maybe not everyone could fit it into their schedule, but surely a few could.
  • edited June 2009
    what about adding a figure like Garry Mckinnon as a character to future episodes ...
  • edited June 2009
    ... seven more sleeps ...
  • edited June 2009
    Well, Dom, this is a present for you, from a musician. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXsfSySaIE
    Sweet zombie Jesus.

Best. Fan. Video. Ever.
    TheJoe wrote: »
    If you make a huge scene at reception, screaming things like "I AM A CHEF AND A FAMOUS ACTOR - I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS CRAP" (referring to the internet connection) you will most likely get a refund or free room service.

Just go and make a huge scene. Start threatening legal action etc. You might just get somewhere.
    I'm thinking a detention cell is where it'll most likely get me, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time.
    shref wrote: »
    hey dom, sorry if this was already asked but is stan going to be in just one or all of the episodes? (if the monkey island gods have let you know this bit of information)
    I can neither confirm nor deny where Stan does or doesn't appear. In general, I'm not the one to ask about plot points or character participation for upcoming games. It's not that I don't know (I do -- a bit, anyway), but it's really up to the guys at Telltale to decide what is and isn't revealed before the release.
    plrichard wrote: »
    Ok then, tell me...what does it take to be Dominic Armato's friend on Facebook?
    Be my non-internet friend in real life? :-)

In all seriousness, it's not that I don't love, I'm just not a social networking friend-hoarder (not that there's anything wrong with that). I left all of my best pals back in Chicago and we're so consumed with kid wrangling that it's hard to keep in touch with them, and I find that Facebook is a great passive way of doing so. But as my updates page gets more crowded, it's starting to lose its utility to me, so I'm trying to keep it close these days.

See, this is what happens when you make a commitment to answer every question. You end up awkwardly explaining why you're not friending everybody on Facebook :-)
    Tau/Tigz wrote: »
    Dom, you mentioned you drink Diet Pepsi. But what do you think of Pepsi Max? Being a Diet drinker myself, people keep nagging me to drink Max, but I can't stand the stuff...
    For me, tasting more like the regular stuff is not a selling point. I find regular sodas way too sweet for anything other than occasional consumption. It's as much a matter of habit as it is actual preference at this point, but equalize the calories of every soft drink out there and I still drink Diet Pepsi most of the time.

For the record, I'm not proud of this.
    bman69 wrote: »
    hey dom, first off, the voice of guybrush wouldnt be authentic if it wasnt for you, my question is, i am from the uk and my birthday is on july 4th, would i be classed as a god if i visited the usa on my birthday? lol
    No, but if you went to Fiji on Arbor Day I'm pretty sure you'd be classified as a tourist.

(Assuming you're not from Fiji, of course.)

I don't. That kind of thing rarely bugs me. I'm less interested in whether a story is true to previously established plot points and more interested in whether a story is true to its characters. That doesn't mean I like it when there's willful and blatant disregard for the norms of the universe within which a writer is working, but there comes a point where canon can be stifling. I'd rather they just tell a good story and not give them grief for taking a few liberties.
    Mriceguy wrote: »
    Hola again Dom, could you pretty please upload a video of yourself speaking in your normal voice and then as Guybrush? I'm sure a lot of us would find it really interesting! :)
    Actually, there's already some recent video of me up. On the SMI:SE page, there's a making of video with some interview clips from a bunch of people who worked on the game, myself included. I was so excited that I doubt anybody can understand what the hell I was saying, but it should give you some idea, anyway.
    A few famous faces are fans of MI such as Elijah Wood, Dustin Diamond, Steven Spielberg, I even heard Dolph Lundgren is a fan. I was wondering if you met any of them or if they have met you and recognised your voice???
    That's awesome! I had no idea :-)

Let's see... no, no, no and no. But I'd enjoy meeting any of the above :-)
    You've talked a bit about your other work - but what has been your favorite assignment, apart from Mr. Threepwood?
    I do a mean protocol droid :-)
    You're a fan of the series. Now, fans are a particularly difficult breed, often going on about continuity and adherence to the creator's ideals, and how these young whippersnapping games are getting everything all wrong. Game designers can be that way as well, complaining how they never wanted the secret of Big Whoop to be revealed or Guybrush and Elaine to marry. In that vein: what have you been most dissapointed/ angry/ befuddled about in the continuing MI saga?
    You know, much as above, I find that I tend not to get bent out of shape like that. Probably the thing that frustrated me the most was CMI's hasty, abbreviated ending. And it's an issue that Jonathan and Larry are well aware of. For me, it was just so close to being the perfect game, I hated to see it kind of just suddenly end like that.
    You're saying you wanted to take a break from VO. What do you do apart from VO? Are you a house dad, or do you have a Real Job?
    Well, I don't want to take a break :-) I'm just kind of being realistic about it. It's really hard for me to devote the kind of energy to it that I should, so I'm just going to shove it to the back burner for a while.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Jeunet didn't make Alien: Resurrection.

I said I have no idea what you're talking about.
    C'mon, guys, my whole house is in boxes!
    Wish I could've drawn him in the first place (the visual arts are not a strength).
    The truth is that I'm not even sure most of the time. There are rules governing this stuff, and when you get into the grey area, I tend to just say no because the thought of trying to actually research this stuff gives me the hives.

But just as important is that -- speaking strictly from a free time standpoint -- I have to draw the line somewhere. Lots of people ask for recordings, and I'm so grossly overcommitted to so many things that four hours of sleep is a good night these days. It's not that I wouldn't be happy to do it -- I really would. It's just that if I have 20 minutes to do something further down on the list, I'm going to come here and answer more questions or something lke that. Failing that, I'll sleep.
    Hey Dom, you mentioned that you barely know the rest of the cast of other monkey island games. Why don't you organize a little dinner or something for Tales? Maybe not everyone could fit it into their schedule, but surely a few could.
    Would be fun! But I'm on the East Coast and just about everybody else is in California. Besides which, for most everybody else, it isn't the huge deal and the big time commitment that it is for me. And inviting them to dinner would be kind of like inviting my dry cleaners to dinner. Not that it wouldn't be appreciated, but it would seem an unusually chummy thing to do given the typical amount of interaction involved.
  • edited June 2009
    The MI fanbase are very cheeky aren't they... maybe it's the bad example Guybrush gave us?

I think we're all getting a little cranky because of the wait. It's so close to the release time...but for some reason it feels longer than it did three weeks ago.
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    I think we're all getting a little cranky because of the wait. It's so close to the release time...but for some reason it feels longer than it did three weeks ago.

It's the law of hype! The closer it gets to the release date of a highly anticipated game, the amount of anxiety increases exponentially.

I think the formula is something like a + a^d
  • edited June 2009
    Just wanted to throw another hells yes out there because hells yes. I think I hesitated a whole 10 seconds after seeing the link to preorder the whole game, god damn I feel like I'm 10 years old again.

I'm not the only one who has a ripped mp3 of the pirate song from CMI on their ipod, right?
    No, sir, you are not.
  • edited June 2009
    My question is simple, what the heck was with the "use Jojo on fire hydrant" puzzle in Lechuck's Revenge?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom,
    How many screaming fanboys/girls do you have to shake off every time you walk out of your front door?
  • edited June 2009
    Here's a story for you: A young man destined to be a pirate has eyes for the governor's daughter, but said daughter is kidnapped by a renowned evil pirate whose name is only spoken in shudders. Thus, this young man must obtain a ship, round up a crew, and set off using somewhat supernatural means to reach a specific island where they (the skeletal crew bathed in blue light) have taken her.

Is this the Secret of Monkey Island or Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl?
  • edited June 2009
    Puccinelli wrote: »
    My question is simple, what the heck was with the "use Jojo on fire hydrant" puzzle in Lechuck's Revenge?

Yeah, I admit it, I needed help on that one - and I don't regret it because I'm STILL sure I never would have made the "monkey wrench" connection on my own. My brain works a certain way, and for some puzzles, it just doesn't think right.

Though because of that, I've found that MI games are the most fun when I play them with my sister, who thinks very differently from me. She can usually get the puzzles I can't and vice versa, and we discuss what might work. haha!
  • edited June 2009

Be my non-internet friend in real life? :-)

In all seriousness, it's not that I don't love, I'm just not a social networking friend-hoarder (not that there's anything wrong with that). I left all of my best pals back in Chicago and we're so consumed with kid wrangling that it's hard to keep in touch with them, and I find that Facebook is a great passive way of doing so. But as my updates page gets more crowded, it's starting to lose its utility to me, so I'm trying to keep it close these days.

See, this is what happens when you make a commitment to answer every question. You end up awkwardly explaining why you're not friending everybody on Facebook :-)

Haha good answer. I guess sometimes the desire to be friends with Guybrush causes some of us to go to extreme lengths:p. Anyway thanks for coming back!
  • edited June 2009
    Puccinelli wrote: »

"Monkey Wrench."

I think I may have been one of the few that got that one without a walkthrough, but I'm honestly not sure because I used a walkthrough for other puzzles and may have gotten that one spoiled without thinking about it.

I think if LucasArts makes a Monkey Island 2 special edition, one small tweak they should make is to have Jojo's inventory icon show him in a more noticeably wrench-shaped pose.
  • edited June 2009
    Good idea. I didn't make the connection 'till just now. It's a little relieving to know it's not a completely random solution.
  • edited June 2009
    What, no Michiba, Ishinabe, Nakamura or Kobe? :-)

Kenichi by a nose. Juuuuuuust barely. And probably because a Chinese chef fighting a French master to a draw with fricking foie gras just made him my hero.

I only picked my top three favourites, my apologies!
    You are a hero.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    "Monkey Wrench."

I think I may have been one of the few that got that one without a walkthrough, but I'm honestly not sure because I used a walkthrough for other puzzles and may have gotten that one spoiled without thinking about it.

I think if LucasArts makes a Monkey Island 2 special edition, one small tweak they should make is to have Jojo's inventory icon show him in a more noticeably wrench-shaped pose.

My problem with those puzzles is that I never think to pick up a creature. I mean in Monkey Island 2 you have to pick up both a monkey and a dog, that's just the type of thinking that gets me lost most of the time.
  • edited June 2009
    Fausk wrote: »
    My problem with those puzzles is that I never think to pick up a creature. I mean in Monkey Island 2 you have to pick up both a monkey and a dog, that's just the type of thinking that gets me lost most of the time.

I hear you. Guess which puzzles I got thoroughly stuck on in Sam & Max Hit the Road?

Also, I have the pirate song, all of Guybrush's 'audition' songs, and the Mixnmojo April Fools bits on my mp3 player.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.