Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    plagiarize wrote: »
    i wouldn't be living in America, married to my American wife, were that not true!

and yet, (as written) it is important not to forget the (often younger) Americans who detest the British. :)
  • edited July 2009
    That's funny, from my experience, if you give a person of either gender a British accent, most viewers will be fawning all over them (even if they ARE the villain). Many - not all, but many - Americans love the sound of a British accent. (Hell, I adored Brit!Elaine, and I'm female!)

I think I need to visit America more... Any American ladies on here please feel free to give me a call!
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    and yet, (as written) it is important not to forget the (often younger) Americans who detest the British. :)

Or maybe not!
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Ah, House.

I remember a story about a producer or director or something demanding an American actor. So they had Hugh audition in-character and this VIP's comments were along the lines of "See? You got me a good American actor finally! See? I was right."

Now I don't know about you but if you manage to fool millions of people and your high powered boss then perhaps you have a good fake American accent? It's certainly passable. I don't even notice a "giveaway" after I've seen him speak normally and continued to watch the show.

Yeah I heard most Americans think he IS American!

BRILLIANT show.
  • edited July 2009
    I had no idea he wasn't American. Most people are stunned to see a video of him with that accent. It feels bizarre to us to watch - we THINK of him as an American.

@Dominic: What do you think of Hugh?
  • edited July 2009
    Um... so, none of you ever watched BLACKADDER? Hugh Laurie was a regular in the later couple of series.
  • edited July 2009
    We should write into the show and get Dom in as a sick patient, struggling to complete a voice over for a video game due to a problem with his vocal cords.
  • edited July 2009
    house always fooled me... hey mr english accent expert... is anna friels american accent good or bad?? ive always thought she rivaled hugh in that aspect
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2009
    Hey - while you're in the kitchen would you mind grabbing me a sandwich? I'm kinda peckish.
  • edited July 2009
    KB57 wrote: »
    Um... so, none of you ever watched BLACKADDER? Hugh Laurie was a regular in the later couple of series.

Not to mention A Bit of Fry & Laurie...
  • edited July 2009
    Jeez... and I just wanted to post the much more relevant "America" from the same show... :D

np: Tocotronic - Ich Bin Ganz Sicher Schon Einmal Hiergewesen (Wir Kommen Um Uns Zu Beschweren)
  • edited July 2009
    Will you be getting both versions of TMI?
  • edited July 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Jeez... and I just wanted to post the much more relevant "America" from the same show... :D

np: Tocotronic - Ich Bin Ganz Sicher Schon Einmal Hiergewesen (Wir Kommen Um Uns Zu Beschweren)

Same here, but I wanted to find a clip where he sounded distinctly English.:)
  • edited July 2009
    For that matter, what do you think of the acronym TMI? Best acronym for a videogame ever?
  • edited July 2009
    For that matter, what do you think of the acronym TMI? Best acronym for a videogame ever?
    I dunno... I always read "TMI" as "Too Much Information" when in fact the exact opposite is the case... :D

As for "MI5" - I think the UK called; they want their security service back... :p

np: Fink - This Is The Thing (Distance And Time)
  • edited July 2009
    maybe my standards are higher having lived in both countries, but I cannot understand how anyone falls for Hugh's accent (though millions obviously do).

There's no one strict "American Accent," so to me, who's lived in America all my life, there's nothing in his voice that jumps out as "not American." I wouldn't guess it was fake if I didn't know he was British.
  • edited July 2009

I just finished watching this series again a couple weeks ago. I'm on Jeeves and Wooster now!
  • edited July 2009
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    Then why only Elaine's got a sexy Brit accent?

A wizard did it.
  • edited July 2009
    stannum wrote: »
    I just finished watching this series again a couple weeks ago. I'm on Jeeves and Wooster now!

I don't know what's more fun, Fry & Laurie's interpretation, or the actual books :)

... Oh, P.S. We want Hugh Laurie back. We're sick of his sucky American sitcom. (Well all apart from a former flatmate but she was constantly high, so she's not the best judge)
  • edited July 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    ... Oh, P.S. We want Hugh Laurie back. We're sick of his sucky American sitcom. (Well all apart from a former flatmate but she was constantly high, so she's not the best judge)
    Wait - when did House M.D. turn into a sitcom? Did I miss the laugh track all the way through the four seasons that I've seen?

np: Leila - Carplos (Blood, Looms & Blooms)
  • edited July 2009
    Nooooooo America can keep him - House is my number one show!
  • edited July 2009
    Puccinelli wrote: »
    My question is simple, what the heck was with the "use Jojo on fire hydrant" puzzle in Lechuck's Revenge?
    Aw, c’mon! Monkey wrench! I loved that puzzle :-)
    StonkBad wrote: »
    Hey Dom,
    How many screaming fanboys/girls do you have to shake off every time you walk out of your front door?
    When it happens, I’ll let you know. (I’m not holding my breath)
    Puccinelli wrote: »
    Here's a story for you: A young man destined to be a pirate has eyes for the governor's daughter, but said daughter is kidnapped by a renowned evil pirate whose name is only spoken in shudders. Thus, this young man must obtain a ship, round up a crew, and set off using somewhat supernatural means to reach a specific island where they (the skeletal crew bathed in blue light) have taken her.

Is this the Secret of Monkey Island or Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl?
    I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it’ll make me more bitter about the subject than I already am.
    MacVillain wrote: »
    Hey Dom This is a question that I'm sure every Monkey Island Fan has wondered throughout the games. What is the back story to the "Porcelain" Phobia? Have you recorded any lines yet in regards to Guybrushes fear of porcelain?
    On the latter, I defer to my aforementioned embargo on actual details of the new games. On the former, anybody else wonder if the unexplained fear of porcelain and the unexplained secret of Monkey Island are somehow related?
    Hi Dom,

Only a week to go and as your a gamer yourself, how excited are you to be able to play the final product I bet its like 1997 all over again when your voice was first heard for the first time.
    Very. I’m watching status updates from guys on the team and getting incredibly jealous.
    Would you put a rat, a monkey or a dog in your pants? :p
    I think I’ve actually had a rat in my pants. His name was Peanut. He was awesome. The other two, probably not. But never say never.
    hplikelike wrote: »
    Hey Dom, do you think you could do this QandA thing again sometime?

Please?

With a Three-headed-monkey-made-out-of-cherries on top?
    Throw in some grog-infused whipped cream and you have a deal.
    shref wrote: »
    would i be able to send you or telltale the collector's dvd once it comes out and get it autographed??
    Let’s revisit this one when there’s actually a DVD to autograph :-)
    dantheape wrote: »
    Batman or Superman?
    If I have to choose one, Batman. I’m basically totally invincible unless you have some green space rock? Lame.
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Kirk or Picard?
    Man, that one’s brutal. I’m going to go Picard by a stately nose.
    Indiana Jones or Jack Sparrow?
    Please.
    'Choose one' or 'choose your own adventure'?
    For the answer, turn to page 52.
    LeChuck or LeChimp?
    How can I say no to a monkey?
    shesek wrote: »
    Hi Dominic,

If I'll invite all my MI loving friends to my house and make a fancy banner that says "MonkeyCon '09", would you consider being the celebrity guest?
    Didn’t this actually happen? Except for me showing up, I mean.
    hplikelike wrote: »
    What commercials have you been in? They don't exactly list credits...
    Oh, gosh, lots. Scores. Hundreds? I don’t even remember. Tons of Cap’n Crunch when I was younger. Buncha McDonald’s. The first I ever did was Cherry Switzer. Nothing so notable as, say, the Mastercard “priceless” campaign or anything like that.
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    Question to Dominic: Provided pirates in the days MI is based on were mostly British, did you ever considered forcing/imitating a British accent? (if Hugh Laurie can pull off such a realistic American accent, why not?) I always imagined Gorbush being a Brit but then again, when I heard your voice, it captured the role so very nicely that I embraced it.
    Nah, I never really thought of him as British. Not that there would have been anything wrong with that if it had gone that way, I suppose, but his sense of humor never struck me as British.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7421208.stm
    so, Dominic, what accents can you do? which would you like to be able to do? have you got any embarrassing voice acting accent stories where you tried an accent and it went horribly wrong?
    Oh, I’m sure I’ve had some auditions that casting people have laughed at. I can do tons of accents for character/comical purposes, a few that might fool those who don’t have an ear for the accent in question, but none that would fool the natives. There’s very little that I can’t at least stumble through on a cartoony level. But I’ve never studied any in the way a screen actor might for a serious role.
    PariahKing wrote: »
    @Dominic: What do you think of Hugh?
    Never seen the show. Or any of his shows, actually.
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Hey - while you're in the kitchen would you mind grabbing me a sandwich? I'm kinda peckish.
    Sure thing. I think I have some leftover roast chicken. Lettuce? Onion? Horseradish sauce?

Incidentally, best sandwich to ever leave my kitchen: Christmas leftovers. Italian roasted pork loin with homemade mostarda di Cremona and juniper-infused cabbage. That or the BLT with bacon mayonnaise. And I’m not talking about that bottled vegan Baconnaise BS. I’m talking fresh mayonnaise made with bacon fat instead of oil. Incidentally, I’m leading a crusade to raise awareness that BLTs aren’t about the bacon. I mean, sure, bacon’s awesome, we all know that. But a BLT hinges on the tomato. Get some incredible thick-cut artisan bacon made from heritage pigs and make the sandwich with a December supermarket cardboard tomato and it’ll be okay. But nab an incredible late summer heirloom tomato? You can throw Oscar Meyer on there and it’ll knock your socks off.

But I digress.
    jaden551 wrote: »
    Will you be getting both versions of TMI?
    Any platform it shows up on, I’ll have it. As will all my friends and family.

I said, as will all my friends and family
    I’m afraid that goes to the subject of a secret satirical page that was once posted on Mojo, Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Revenge, or DF4:JK3:JO2:JR. Though the one I really want to try, mentioned in the same article, is Starfighter 3: Jedi Starfighter 2: Starfighter Fighter Fighter

(Why do I laugh every fricking time I hear that title?)
  • edited July 2009
    what do you think of Emily's comment on the first page of the "Questions for Mike Stemmle" thread when she says that

"While the Q&A with the team thread is quite possibly the coolest thread in the history of Telltale's forum"

isn't it quite obvious that this topic is about 1,000,000,000,0...(insert random amount of zeros here) times cooler then the Q&A!?
  • edited July 2009
    Don't know if anybody asked before, but did you actually pre-order the game to gain access to this board? To answer the questions directed to you?
  • edited July 2009
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Don't know if anybody asked before, but did you actually pre-order the game to gain access to this board? To answer the questions directed to you?

Haha, surely they would have given him access as he'll be getting hte game for free (As stated in this thread I think)
  • edited July 2009
    Given that both Sam & Max Season DVDs got audio-commentary tracks on the cutscene-reels, would you be interested in doing an "actor's commentary", or even an in-character "Guybrush-commentary" for the DVD? And don't wind out with a "let's wait until there's actually a DVD to do commentaries for"-answer...
  • edited July 2009
    If a MI2:SE was ever released, what would you think would be challenging about it, considering it's occasionally darker yet humorous tone?

Again, thanks for answering all of these questions. Amazingly cool.
  • edited July 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    When it happens, I’ll let you know. (I’m not holding my breath)

Well I certainly know of a few people who'd fan you if they had the chance. You have good taste in games, and a really nice voice to listen to. ...just hope you don't mind a few of said people being guys.
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it’ll make me more bitter about the subject than I already am.

I guess you were mad they didn't get you the role. Don't worry, Orlando Bloom has nothing on you. ...stupid elf pirate...

Nerd Question #1: Who would win in a fight. Guybrush, or Bernard Bernoulli?

Nerd Question #2: Admittingly, to this date I still can't make sense of the ending of MI2. no, not the one with Tom Cruise, the one with monkeys. ...I said the one without Cruise! Anyway, I'm betting they ended it scoobydoo-like cause they didn't expect to continue the series, but have you ever heard of how the whole 'it was a mask, I'm your brother, hey parents!' thing worked?

Nerd Question #3: Given Girlbrush just showed up out of nowhere in MI1, any guesses as to where he's from? Apart from the Lucas Arts actor's guild.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, Dominic! Other than the VO (obviously) what's the most noticeable trait (physical or personality) you and Guybrush have in common?

When recording for a MI game, what's the funniest/weirdest blooper you (or someone else) has made?

Also, have you ever tried to hold your breath for 10 minutes? ... not that I recommend it...
  • edited July 2009
    Did you ever meet/hang out with any of the other voice actors from CMI, EMI and/or TMI?

And on a more personal note, what's your favorite food?
  • edited July 2009
    Dominic, do you have any old videos of your commercials?
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, do you think Guybrush will ever say something like fricking? I'm sure I'm repeating a lot of my fellow fans, but this is really cool, you answering all these questions. And, uh... *whispers* I'm working on getting you out. Don't worry: they can't hold you hostage for long!
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Dominic, I just wanted to say I am a huge fan and think the work you have done on the character of Guybrush is amazing!
    My burning, piratey related questions are:
    1. What is your favourite line you have ever recorded for the monkey island series?
    2. What was the hardest line to record? (perhaps you laughed too much or it was a tongue-twister?)
    3. Were there any times you improvised and it was allowed and incorporated into the script because it worked so well?
    4. Finally, I am a student journalist and adventure game reviewer for several sites, can I possibly contact you sometime for a quick interview? (I thought it was better to ask this way after parting with my cold hard cash, rather than doing a murray style demand and laughing manically...ah what the hell BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Gotta love that demonic skull :)

Thanks, and I cannot wait for the game! (Perfect present just before I graduate! I got home from a holiday in Edinburgh today and immediately pre-ordered!)
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Dominic i have a few question fpr you.

1. Wich is your favorit Monkey Island game.
    2. In Tales Of Monkey Island are there any more voice actors who are returning to their roles they have done in previous Monkey Island games.
    3. What is your favorite Monkey Island joke.
    4. Is this monkey island 5.
    5. How many years dose Tales of Monkey Island take plase after Monkey 4?

I hope you can answer these questions.
  • edited July 2009
    Have you ever had a dream in which you were Guybrush in the game and woke up only to disappointingly realize you're not a swashbuckling pirate in the real word?
  • edited July 2009
    Do you know where the remote is? I looked all over the house.
  • edited July 2009
    @Dominic's last reply mass: Oh, Hugh Laurie is so very, VERY British. Next time you're watching some of our old comedy, take a look at Blackadder (Esp. series 3) or Jeeves & Wooster (w/ Stephen Fry). Not that I've seen House apart from walking past my roommate watching it, but I really don't know how he does the American accent so well.

But anyways.
    What sort of games do you like the most? And if point&click, what other sorts do you enjoy?
    What sort of comedy do you like most? (Dark? Monty Python/Mel Brooks? Etc.?)
    When you've voiced a game, are you then able to actually play through it yourself properly? Knowing what all the main character's dialogue is must spoil the plot somewhat...
    <Insert other standard "semi-interview" question here>?
  • edited July 2009
    Just a tip for the recent question askers, if you search for all posts by Dominic, most questions have already been answered.
  • edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvNSBbjrh0&feature=PlayList&p=0F140A4A5E47D7A7&index=0

I was wondering if you ever heard their version of the monkey island theme before? It was one of my favorites.
  • edited July 2009
    Zethos wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvNSBbjrh0&feature=PlayList&p=0F140A4A5E47D7A7&index=0

I was wondering if you ever heard their version of the monkey island theme before? It was one of my favorites.

You can also check soundtracks.mixnmojo.com, there you get some rock remixes which really sound nice... for those who like rock.^^
  • edited July 2009
    If (never going to happen) for some reason you wasn't happy with monkey island 5's dialogue graphics humour etc ( I mean extremely bad in every detail, like.....just awful you get the idea) would you still agree to voice the character to give the game a redeeming feature or would you turn it down so you wasnt involved with the destructuion of the monkey island franchise?

Its never going to happen im just curious as you are a big fan also
    Love you and the series :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.