Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Hi Dominic

- Thank you for sharing your voice with us through the games.

- Janus.
    -- Mists of time
    :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom This is a question that I'm sure every Monkey Island Fan has wondered throughout the games. What is the back story to the "Porcelain" Phobia? Have you recorded any lines yet in regards to Guybrushes fear of porcelain?
  • edited June 2009
    MacVillain wrote: »
    Hey Dom This is a question that I'm sure every Monkey Island Fan has wondered throughout the games. What is the back story to the "Porcelain" Phobia? Have you recorded any lines yet in regards to Guybrushes fear of porcelain?

I thought it had something to do in the first game where Guybrush gets a porcelain vase stuck on his head during the scene at the governor's mansion?

Dominic, it's so glad to hear your voice again! Hearing you in MI3 was perfect!
    /end kissass
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Fausk wrote: »
    My problem with those puzzles is that I never think to pick up a creature. I mean in Monkey Island 2 you have to pick up both a monkey and a dog, that's just the type of thinking that gets me lost most of the time.

And a rat. You also pick up a rat.

Three animals picked up, and one lizard set free. Lots of animal interactions in that game.
  • edited June 2009
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    I'm thinking a detention cell is where it'll most likely get me, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time.

It's okay. We've got a keg of Grog and 30 mugs. We'd have you out of there in no time.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    And a rat. You also pick up a rat.

Three animals picked up, and one lizard set free. Lots of animal interactions in that game.

Of course! I totally forgot the rat. At least the rat makes a little more sense since that's something you could theoretically stuff in your pocket.

Beginning to think the only reason Guybrush had the huge coat in Monkey Island 2 was for all the animals he had to stuff inside it.
  • edited June 2009
    Seeing all the stuff he puts into his pants in CMI, I don't think he needs the coat ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dom,

Only a week to go and as your a gamer yourself, how excited are you to be able to play the final product I bet its like 1997 all over again when your voice was first heard for the first time.
  • edited June 2009
    Didero wrote: »
    Seeing all the stuff he puts into his pants in CMI, I don't think he needs the coat ;)

Would you put a rat, a monkey or a dog in your pants? :p
  • edited June 2009
    Would you put a rat, a monkey or a dog in your pants? :p

I wouldn't even put them in my jacket ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Dom, do you think you could do this QandA thing again sometime?

Please?

With a Three-headed-monkey-made-out-of-cherries on top?
  • edited July 2009
    would i be able to send you or telltale the collector's dvd once it comes out and get it autographed??
  • edited July 2009
    Dangit! I thought of a "real" question last night and told myself "as soon as I get up, I'm gonna ask it!...now I can't remember!

So, how much wood would LeChuck chuck if Lechuck could chuck wood?
  • edited July 2009
    Batman or Superman?
  • edited July 2009
    Kirk or Picard?
  • edited July 2009
    Indiana Jones or Jack Sparrow?
  • edited July 2009
    'Choose one' or 'choose your own adventure'?
  • edited July 2009
    LeChuck or LeChimp?
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Dominic,

If I'll invite all my MI loving friends to my house and make a fancy banner that says "MonkeyCon '09", would you consider being the celebrity guest?
  • edited July 2009
    When do you expect to be done with the move, I'm feeling stressful for you after all the allusions you've made to it... I was living out of boxes for about a month and trying to work was hell
  • edited July 2009
    Dominic Armato! Just wanted to say that I think you're perfect for Guybrush Threepwood. I don't think any other voice actor could do better.
  • edited July 2009
    What commercials have you been in? They don't exactly list credits...
  • edited July 2009
    Girricane wrote: »
    I thought it had something to do in the first game where Guybrush gets a porcelain vase stuck on his head during the scene at the governor's mansion?

Dominic, it's so glad to hear your voice again! Hearing you in MI3 was perfect!
    /end kissass

No, I just replayed that part in the game and it was Guybrush who used the vase on Fester. I guess we will always wonder.
  • edited July 2009
    I remember the first time I played Curse of Monkey Island: I was like "What? Voices?!" And then I heard Guybrush's voice.

Dominic: you are simply fantastic. There aren't enough words in the English dictionary to describe how perfect your voice is for Guybrush. Thank you so very much for bringing Guybrush to life!!!
  • edited July 2009
    Excerpts from Murray conversation in CMI:

"Can I call you BOB?"

"No! You may call me Murray!"

"Well, you'd look good with a wax candle in your head."

"That's true."

"STRIDE?"

"Oh, all right then! ROLL! Must you take the fun out of everything?
  • edited July 2009
    Question to Dominic: Provided pirates in the days MI is based on were mostly British, did you ever considered forcing/imitating a British accent? (if Hugh Laurie can pull off such a realistic American accent, why not?) I always imagined Gorbush being a Brit but then again, when I heard your voice, it captured the role so very nicely that I embraced it.

PS/ Glad to have you back! I wish someday you can discover and tell us the Secret of Monkey Island!
  • edited July 2009
    Heh... "Gorbush"...
  • edited July 2009
    Heh... "Gorbush"...

Sorry, I meant Guybrush Thriftweed, or was it Peepwood?
  • edited July 2009
    Guybrush Nosehair I believe it was lol
  • edited July 2009
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    (if Hugh Laurie can pull off such a realistic American accent, why not?)

no. no. no.

there are some Brits that can pull off realistic American accents, and vice versa, but Hugh Laurie is NOT one of them. Christian Bale would be a good example of someone who can do it.

maybe my standards are higher having lived in both countries, but I cannot understand how anyone falls for Hugh's accent (though millions obviously do).
  • edited July 2009
    Ah, House.

I remember a story about a producer or director or something demanding an American actor. So they had Hugh audition in-character and this VIP's comments were along the lines of "See? You got me a good American actor finally! See? I was right."

Now I don't know about you but if you manage to fool millions of people and your high powered boss then perhaps you have a good fake American accent? It's certainly passable. I don't even notice a "giveaway" after I've seen him speak normally and continued to watch the show.
  • edited July 2009
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    Provided pirates in the days MI is based on were mostly British, did you ever considered forcing/imitating a British accent? (if Hugh Laurie can pull off such a realistic American accent, why not?)
    This is an AMERICAN production. As such, the British can only be villains. Their accent is inherently evil!
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Ah, House.

I remember a story about a producer or director or something demanding an American actor. So they had Hugh audition in-character and this VIP's comments were along the lines of "See? You got me a good American actor finally! See? I was right."

Now I don't know about you but if you manage to fool millions of people and your high powered boss then perhaps you have a good fake American accent? It's certainly passable. I don't even notice a "giveaway" after I've seen him speak normally and continued to watch the show.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7421208.stm

i don't mean to be coy, but i think the English are just better at detecting accents. usually i can tell where someone is from from their accent. people over here in America will say 'i detect an accent, where are you from?' to me quite often.

or they think i'm Australian or Canadian or something random. America has regional accents, but nothing like as strong as the regional accents in the much smaller England (which i've never understood). plus we have a lot of people coming to the country from all the different European countries.

i think that the English are more sensitive to the differences between an American accent and an English one, and as such, we pick up on the mistakes more than the people that speak with the accent.

most American's don't even think they have an accent.

so, Dominic, what accents can you do? which would you like to be able to do? have you got any embarrassing voice acting accent stories where you tried an accent and it went horribly wrong?
  • edited July 2009
    This is an AMERICAN production. As such, the British can only be villains. Their accent is inherently evil!
    Then why only Elaine's got a sexy Brit accent?

PS/ English is not my mother tongue so I certainly can't tell accents apart as easily as a native speaker would. Still, thanks to my translation studies background and the fact that I've lived with people from many English-speaking countries, I'd say I don't miss that often.
  • edited July 2009
    plagiarize wrote: »

i don't mean to be coy, but i think the English are just better at detecting accents. usually i can tell where someone is from from their accent. people over here in America will say 'i detect an accent, where are you from?' to me quite often.
    Eh. I'm not offended or anything, but I politely disagree considering it has managed to fool my entire nation. Then again we're not British so I suppose sometimes a standard high enough to fool us isn't high enough to fool your friends and countrymen, perhaps.
  • edited July 2009
    Just jumping in to say I'm a huge fan Dominic! :) It's so great to have you back! And to have another Monkey Island game when I thought all hope was lost. Can't wait for the game to come out!
  • edited July 2009
    plagiarize wrote: »

America has regional accents, but nothing like as strong as the regional accents in the much smaller England (which i've never understood).

Too be honest, how "strong" the differences are has to do with where you live. You grow up around different accents, you notice the subtle differences. There are areas of America (the deep south, parts of New England) with strong accents. There are also subtle differences between different regions (Texas and the south). Americans who believe that they don't have an accent tend to have the Middle American one because it is generally found in all parts of the country. By "not having an accent" they mean you can't tell where in America they are from.
  • edited July 2009

Unless you're Patrick Stewart. Then you can do anything - mainly because he's a Yorkshire man!
  • edited July 2009

That's funny, from my experience, if you give a person of either gender a British accent, most viewers will be fawning all over them (even if they ARE the villain). Many - not all, but many - Americans love the sound of a British accent. (Hell, I adored Brit!Elaine, and I'm female!)
  • edited July 2009
    That's funny, from my experience, if you give a person of either gender a British accent, most viewers will be fawning all over them (even if they ARE the villain). Many - not all, but many - Americans love the sound of a British accent. (Hell, I adored Brit!Elaine, and I'm female!)

i wouldn't be living in America, married to my American wife, were that not true!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.