Questions for Dominic Armato!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    What TV shows are you into these days?
    Any thoughts on LOST? (My favourite..)

Rock on! =)
  • edited June 2009
    Does Lucasarts (or Telltale) have a "Three Trials" system for voice actors?
  • edited June 2009
    When you flub a line or cannot seem to envision a specific scene during recording sessions, are you ever afraid that Grossman might subject you to keelhauling behind his private yacht? The thought of him 'flogging the inner children' out of his interns and co-workers frightens the hell out of me, and I don't even work there!
  • edited June 2009
    hey iam sure you own a Mic^^
    can you record the folowing lines from MI2 for me? i realy would like to hear that spoken bye Guybrush himself^^

Guybrush: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
    Woodsmith: "A woodchuck could chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can't chuck wood."
    Guybrush: "But if a woodchuck could chuck and would chuck some amount of wood, what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?"
    Woodsmith: "Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood, and even if a woodchuck would chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood?"
    Guybrush: "A woodchuck should chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as long as a woodchuck would chuck wood."

i know silly question^^
  • edited June 2009
    Rebirth wrote: »
    hey iam sure you own a Mic^^
    can you record the folowing lines from MI2 for me? i realy would like to hear that spoken bye Guybrush himself

Think you might be pushing your luck there...
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    Is it July yet?
  • edited June 2009
    Think you might be pushing your luck there...

Hey, if you never ask, you never get an answer. 99.7% of people who under put miss the hole.

*cricket noises*

You guys need to play more golf. Hey, that's a good question. Mr. Armato, how good are you at golf? Any stories?
  • edited June 2009
    What do you personally think of the voice-acting lines you have been given throughout the recording sessions of ToMI?
    Is it on par with the previous games? :)
  • edited June 2009
    If I ever meet you in public, what should I go for: handshake or high five?
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    If I ever meet you in public, what should I go for: handshake or high five?

This is how we gauge how famous he is. If he goes for "leave me alone" we know he's made it big :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom! Wow, I've spent ages reading all the replies to your questions and I can't imagine how much time it's taken you to write answers to them! Just wanted to say what an awesome job you're doing and shoot off a few questions of my own. ;)
    1. Who is the closest television or film character you've seen in resembling the personality of Guybrush Threepwood?
    2. If you could be highly skilled in any field, what profession would you choose apart from voice-acting/cooking and why?
    3. In Tales of Monkey Island can you tell us or even hint towards something that is new for the series and totally awesome at the same time? If not game related, maybe something voice related?
  • edited June 2009
    What's the second biggest cake you've ever seen?
  • edited June 2009
    What's the second biggest cake you've ever eaten?
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    What's the second biggest cake you thought was a lie?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Guyb- uh, Domenic!
    I've got a few more questions - sorry if these have already been answered:

1. Have you ever had to edit any lines that didn't sound Guybrush-y enough to you?

2. Did you get any say into Guybrush's design for ToMI?

3. If you could voice any other videogame/cartoon character, who would it be and why?

4. *holds up five fingers* If this is three, what's this? *holds up three fingers*

5. Will you ever forgive me for that last horribly-lame question?
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, another question;
    While you're recording, do you read the entire script for the whole game (if you do, do you like the story?), or do you do bits and scattered parts of dialogue trees here and there that ultimately makes no sense for you? =)

Thanks man!

P.S. I just witnessed a 1 hour play-through of SoMI:SE, and I must say, what I liked most was the voice-acting. I think you hit it spot-on! And thats incredible because the lines that was written for the classic version, weren't written for voice acting.
    Were you as surprised as me that it worked so well?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey!
    great work on the new tales.

I have got one question for you Dominic,

Did you ever want to be an actor, instead of just doing voice acting.
    Because your imdb file says you once played a Gang kid on Chicago hope:rolleyes:

Good luck with the finishing of the project!(if there's still some recording to do)
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dominic, love your work on the SE (just seen the 1 hour playthrough), especially the scene with spiffy!

Here's my question: do you know why the ™'s aren't vocalised? In my head I've alway heard them out loud and chuckled inwardly at them.
  • edited June 2009
    I've got a question for you Dom (do you mind Dom? or prefer Dominic?):

How does it feel to have your own wikipedia page? I think someone can know that they've truly made it in this world once they have a wikipedia page to their name.

Like, you made it into an encyclopedia. That's as good as having a painting of yourself done and displayed in some huge museum. You are basically going to live forever through the online encyclopedia. Woahhhhh!
  • edited June 2009
    Samas wrote: »
    I've got a question for you Dom (do you mind Dom? or prefer Dominic?):

How does it feel to have your own wikipedia page? I think someone can know that they've truly made it in this world once they have a wikipedia page to their name.

Either that or it just means they can use Wikipedia... :p
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, Dominic! Thanks for taking the time to answer all our annoying fan questions! Been a fan since I was a wee little lass playing CMI. You're the only Guybrush I'll ever accept. :)

Q. Any MI-inspired purchases? ex: I loved the tiki lights in CMI so much, I went out and bought some to string around my window.

Hope you've been getting enough sleep lately!
  • edited June 2009
    tomo_cjt wrote: »
    Hey Dominic, love your work on the SE (just seen the 1 hour playthrough), especially the scene with spiffy!

Here's my question: do you know why the ™'s aren't vocalised? In my head I've alway heard them out loud and chuckled inwardly at them.

That's a good question. I always herd them aloud in my head too.
  • edited June 2009
    tomo_cjt wrote:
    Well, I'd imagine it might elicit a chuckle the first couple of times, but after a while they'd just become distracting. It's only been a week or so since I played through SMI, but I'm already hazy: There's quite a lot of them, no? Every time someone says Monkey Island?
  • edited June 2009
    Hello

Checking some of your answers it looks like you travelled quite a bit or atleast would like to. So my question is have you ever heard of Finland or know where it is :) If not you should check Finland or Sweden or Norway out, great nature and if you dont like cold and snow you can come around in summer and enjoy Laplands night where sun doesent go down.
  • edited June 2009
    Winther wrote: »
    Well, I'd imagine it might elicit a chuckle the first couple of times, but after a while they'd just become distracting. It's only been a week or so since I played through SMI, but I'm already hazy: There's quite a lot of them, no? Every time someone says Monkey Island?

Yeah, every time anyone say's an islands name you get the trademark sign.

I agree it would get tiring quickly and that they didn't appear in CMI or EMI (but the lawyers in EMI commended guybrush for using it in the text even though it isn't spoken aloud) but I was just wondering if it was ever brought up either when doing CMI/EMI or when doing the Special Edition and what Dominic's thoughts on the matter are.
  • edited June 2009
    hey dominic,
    do you like how the characters in Monkey Island have evolved over the past few games?
  • edited June 2009
    Yay! More Questions!
    • If voice acting did not work out for you, and you had to pursue a different job, what job would you do? (and don’t even mention “flooring inspector”!)
    • Do you have any other form of employment? Or is voice acting your only form of income?
    • I know this is hard, but what is your favourite monkey island game?
    • What is your favourite “non-point-and-click” game?
    • Who is your hero?
    • What’s your favourite “non-video-game-related” item?
    • Hey, would you like to buy any of these fine leather jackets?
    :D

-The Batfrog
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah I have a question - can you record a sound clip for me that says "SCUMM games dot net. The only website devoted to the continued development of new adventure games"? Your only reward will be that you'll be able to hear yourself talk on a website other than mixnmojo!

And - have you seen http://speechproject.mixnmojo.com/ (well of course you've seen it) - have you run the game using that? Although MI1 was buggy and... didn't exactly work like it was supposed to, the voice clips in Monkey2 I think sound good - what do you think?
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks, Dom, for all this extra (unpaid!) effort you're putting into keeping us entertained and giddy with anticipation till the game is released! Especially when you could be sleeping instead.
    Two questions:
    Have you ever considered doing something like writing a screenplay, or a novel, or making an animated short, or an indie film, or a radio play, or even a video game? Your food blog is a success, so what might your next project be?

Have you ever cooked something you were really proud of that your kid wouldn't touch? and if no, do you have some other food/kid anecdote to share?
  • edited June 2009
    Are you going to visit Sweden someday? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Do you ever pretend to be guybrush doing day to day things? Like muttering to yourself?
  • edited June 2009
    Would you find it awkward if I saw you on the street, and I proceeded to fall foward at your feet and yell at the top of my voice "YOU ARE GOD!" and then asked you to say "I'm selling these fine leather jackets"?
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Dominic, allow me to profess my undying love for you. I emailed you once via your website but you're a busy guy and I doubt that you've seen it...

Ok, now that that's out of the way...will you be playing along with the rest of us when the series is released, or have you been able to play some sort of demo already (notwithstanding the fact that you recorded the lines so you know what's going to happen; well, you know what's happening from Guybrush's end of it)? Finally, would you come back for an MI5 (a prequel to TMI, I guess) and what would you want to be included in it, i.e. plot directions and such?

Oh, and I second snotsnit's comment. I've been a fan of the series for eight years (since I was a mere ten years old) and they really could not have chosen someone better to play Guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    fwed1 wrote: »
    Do you ever pretend to be guybrush doing day to day things? Like muttering to yourself?

He allready answered that. :) Check out his last three rounds of answers.
  • edited June 2009

I'm not the only one who has a ripped mp3 of the pirate song from CMI on their ipod, right?

Not to mention Dominic Armato's demo tape and the Barbery Coast audition songs :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    cettefemme wrote: »
    Not to mention the Barbery Coast audition songs :cool:

Wow, what's that?? Where did you get it from?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dom,
    Great to have you back as our pantalooned pal! Just wondering, if you got the part of any other character (like largo) in the series, would you take it?
  • edited June 2009
    Does having worked on the MI games ruin the playing experience for you in any way? Do you think it would be more fun to play them completely blind like us landlubbers?
  • edited June 2009
    What is the best insult you've ever heard? What is the best reply to an insult you've ever heard?
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, all!

Just wanted to say that I'm not ignoring you, I'm just embroiled in the move. As soon as I can catch my breath, I'll jump back in and get caught up!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.