The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Looks like it was cut out of a screencap then cleaned up in PS..

Its wonderfully done, could be used as an ad.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Laserschwert has dark and mysterious ways of extracting character models straight from the game. Looks like he took the model, posed it, then lit it in Maya.
  • edited July 2009
    ok, this is kind of not fanart, but maybe it is either way.
    by the mill, the house is inspired by COMI

this could allso be how they made ships back in the days ;)

htmbitol.gif
    http://shikaruoc.deviantart.com/art/how-to-create-a-ship-129037625
  • edited July 2009
    I feel a bit sheepish posting this when there are so many amazing and beautifully done pieces here (I really love some of the more out there stuff, too. It's really interesting to see people's interpretations and feelings about MI.) At the same time, out of the 12 pages I've seen so far I haven't seen that many new characters portrayed (I'll read the rest of the pages later, I promise!) so here's my idea what Morgan La Flay could look like, if Morgan is a woman ... and has red hair.:D

morganlaflayfemalefinis.png
  • edited July 2009

mi-countdown-6.png

max: Sam, your hilt is obscuring my vision.

Sam: Only partially, little pal. Besides, i'm counting on you to help me swash some buckles, or whatever other damn-silly pirate terminology i can thoroughly mangle in an attempt to sound more relevant to our present situation.

Max: Yeah, yeah, i'm behind you -- but only if you promise to never wear that ridiculous ensemble again. Ever.

Sam: Sure! You give me that hat and we've got a deal.

Max: Not a chance, fancy pants.

Sam: [frowns] ... I'm more of a spade than a lechuck, anyway.

Max: Funny, i thought you were more of a "winter."

sam: [laughs] you bust me up, little pal!

--

... With all due apologies to steve purcell. Eheh. ^^;

inspired by the piece found in this spudvision post, of course.

i want this.
  • edited July 2009
    This is my Little Monkey Island fan-sheet.
    unfortunately, I haven't a scanner!

immagine0222.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Is it wrong that I want those skull pins to be real?
  • BasBas
    edited July 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I want those skull pins to be real?

pkneedleclose.jpg

Not exactly it, 'cause they're bamboo knitting needles, but they're still pretty awesome.
  • edited July 2009
    i'm working on some ToMI fanart right now so I should be uploading that this weekend but here's one I did earlier of Guybrush EMI style (sorry about the bad editing to get rid of the background).

Guybrush_by_LennieMelvin.png

And also check out my DeviantArt, the majority of my stuff is Monkey Island themed or inspired by the games: http://lenniemelvin.deviantart.com/

The art on this thread is incredible! seriously!
    I want to see more :)
    And it's so awesome how the Monkey Island community has come back like it never left. Thanks Telltale!
  • edited July 2009
    At the same time, out of the 12 pages I've seen so far I haven't seen that many new characters portrayed

Oh, now I just have to start working on a version of the Marquis. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • edited July 2009
    To Scapetti's old style Doctor's room, two pages back: That. Is. Awesome...
  • edited July 2009
    OK, here I am. Posted them already in the other thread.
    Casamonkey
    Dead Monkey's chest and others
    It's nothing special, I know, but didn't somebody say that EVERYONE should try? ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    inthelab.gif

I know this has nothing to do with tales of monkey island but after seeing your awesome transformation of a 3d background to a traditional pixelated background i felt inspired to post my own attempts at capturing the feel of 2d point and click games.

AlOtTa_QuEsTiOnS_part_3_by_sanjithe.jpg

It's one of the pages of a comic series i work on (no this is not me trying to promote my comic, i just felt compelled to show my attempt at copying the feel of pixelated games like monkey island and day of the tentacle. :D )

I found it pretty tricky to draw like this but i was really inspired by the old games, they have a charm that's hard to match.
  • edited July 2009
    Bas wrote: »
    Not exactly it, 'cause they're bamboo knitting needles, but they're still pretty awesome.

I want those:( If only I knew how to knit and thus justify the purchase.
    Megaloman wrote: »
    Oh, now I just have to start working on a version of the Marquis. Thanks for the inspiration!

YESYESYESYES!!! Make sure to include a poodle! :D
  • edited July 2009
    I know this has nothing to do with tales of monkey island but after seeing your awesome transformation of a 3d background to a traditional pixelated background i felt inspired to post my own attempts at capturing the feel of 2d point and click games.

Why didn't you make his skull pixelated?
  • edited July 2009
    Why didn't you make his skull pixelated?

With each page of the comic i try to go for a different style. I wanted the grim reaper to be the centre of attention so i kept his head normal while everything else would be pixelated to make him hopefully stand-out.
  • edited July 2009
    With each page of the comic i try to go for a different style. I wanted the grim reaper to be the centre of attention so i kept his head normal while everything else would be pixelated to make him hopefully stand-out.

Oh, okay. Not seeing the other pages I didn't really get that. I have to say, doing the pixels by hand must have been tough. I don't even know how you did that with colored pencils.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, okay. Not seeing the other pages I didn't really get that. I have to say, doing the pixels by hand must have been tough. I don't even know how you did that with colored pencils.

Thanks, it was pretty tricky. I had to resharpen the pencils loads otherwise i wouldn't get the sharp pixel patterns. I made alot of mistakes and i think they are pretty noticable.

Thanks so much for taking an interest in it :D
  • edited July 2009
    thanks to Laserschwert for the help
    guy1e.jpg
    guy2z.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Laserschwert has dark and mysterious ways of extracting character models straight from the game. Looks like he took the model, posed it, then lit it in Maya.

Actually it was 3dsmax, not Maya... but the rest is true. In fact, it's an offspring to Voodoo.
  • edited July 2009
    I was looking around for the April Fools "Return to Monkey Island" box art but I can't find it anywhere. According to my memory, the Guybrush design looks a ton to how he does in ToMI and I wanted to compare. Anyone know where it could be?
  • edited July 2009
    MrFerder wrote: »
    I was looking around for the April Fools "Return to Monkey Island" box art but I can't find it anywhere. According to my memory, the Guybrush design looks a ton to how he does in ToMI and I wanted to compare. Anyone know where it could be?
    Here it is:
    MI5-fake.jpg

And no, there's no bigger version of it, since Paco made it at that size.
  • edited July 2009
    A work in progress..

proguys2.jpg
    click for the hi-res
  • TimTim
    edited July 2009
    xand3rD wrote: »
    A work in progress..

* Snip of insanely awesome image *

Holy. Moly. That's awesome :eek: Keep us updated on the progress!

I love how LeChuck is actually more fearsome in your setting than he is in the actual game. Not really sure if that's caused by his size or perhaps his firm shoulders-vs-body composition. And that grin on his face, priceless. Great job!
  • edited July 2009
    Man, all these people making epic things using 3D models, when what they should be making are hilarious things.

Shape up, guys
  • edited July 2009
    A work in progress..

proguys2.jpg
    click for the hi-res

Lechuck might be a bit more menacing if you add in the Voodoo mist from his beard, eyes, mouth, and juju. I can't wait to see what the finished product will look like.
  • edited July 2009
    I gotta learn how to do that.... If only to look at the models.
  • edited July 2009
    Teach us, teach us! How do you do that?
  • edited July 2009
    rip 3d model and texture from any Directx9 application (no emulators other than Dolphin) with 3d ripper DX, import and edit in 3ds max9 (or anithing else if you "capure" in obj format), render with vray. That's all!
  • edited July 2009
    Its like you're not speaking English... LOL
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, I'm sorry. Is my english so bad? I'm not english.
  • edited July 2009
    I think it's because you're using a lot of technical terms.
    Mind if I try?

First, you'll need a program called "3D Ripper DX". That will allow you to rip models from most games in Windows. Then, using a 3D model editor, for instance 3DS Max, you can edit and pose the model.
    I don't know how legal that is though.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, I'm sorry. Is my english so bad? I'm not english.

LOL no your English was perfectly fine. You just lost me with all the technical talk.
  • edited July 2009
    and again. no point in quoting a photo with the tagg.  allso great work people!
  • edited July 2009
    We need a new fake cover.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm now looking into all that... I hope I can figure it out.
  • edited July 2009
    I tried getting into the whole modelling thing and it was a nightmare for me. I just gave up.
  • edited July 2009
    30rxxdi.png
  • edited July 2009
    Hell yeah!
  • edited July 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    But is that really 'to begin with', what with it being the 5th game in the series. And she didn't strike me as particularly skinny in SMI... but I guess I wasn't paying attention to the way she looked. Especially with all the pixilation...

But you're right; she does look thin to the point of bad health in this pic.

I'm willing to go along that, as cartoons, the character's are basically caricature, but should they be perpetuating negative stereotypes?

hey, if you think she's skinny, take a look at Guybrush!:P He's like a stick himself.

By the way; am i the only one who misses the graphic from MI3?? I thought it was a joy to play that game, compared to all this 3D-junk.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.