Concepts and Such

Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
edited July 2009 in Private Pirates Club
Stuff that has lead up to current designs and stuff that has just been left to die.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Ry Guy wrote: »
    Did that work?

I get an Oh Crumbs
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Geh, i'm not very good at this. Lets see if i can get the hang of it.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuck_demon_sm.jpg

Yay! It worked. This was the ultimate version of a stonesque version of lechuck with tusks.. don't know what we were thinking. Just nuts.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuck_demonThumbs_sm.jpg

Leading up the the tusks.
  • edited June 2009
    Is that an alternate LeChuck? It looks awesome. It has a very menacing vibe.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, though, the tusks are a weird fit for LeChuck. By the way, I noticed that there are a few other newly uploaded concepts.

Anatomy of a Pirate: http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/slide_anatomyofapirate_sm.jpg
    Guybrush Thumbs: http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/Guybrush_thumbs_sm.jpg
    LeChuck Beards: http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuck_beards_sm.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, I'm really interested in this, concept art and the material-that-never-made-it are usually very interesting (and so far it delivers, what a weird but cool design :D). Looking forward to future updates.
    edited June 2009
    Yea, Lechuck just kind of lacks personality in this way. Lipsync would have been pretty simple though..
  • edited June 2009
    The tusks are an interesting idea, as is the stone motif, but if you squint a bit the horns make him look like a bunny.
  • edited June 2009
    Jesus Christ, this is awesome. He looks totally insane. I agree that the new version looks better, but man, I just fell out of my chair laughing at the ridiculously high level of evil LeChuck has achieved there. He looks like he's really enjoying being the scourge of the seven seas.

I can't wait for the early Guybrush-designs!
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Shale wrote: »
    The tusks are an interesting idea, as is the stone motif, but if you squint a bit the horns make him look like a bunny.

Yeah, we noticed that too... which is part of the reason he doesn't look like that anymore! Bunny LeChuck is not very menacing!
  • edited June 2009
    This is awesome, my favorite part of video games is the concept art. Alot of the time you dont see stuff like this until years later, or never.
    edited June 2009
    thats why you preorder! XD
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
  • edited June 2009

Maybe this means LeChuck is originally from Skull Island. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Yeah, we noticed that too... which is part of the reason he doesn't look like that anymore! Bunny LeChuck is not very menacing!

I think Max would say otherwise!
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe some concept art from Episode 1? :)
  • edited June 2009
    I think LeChuck should stay away from the whole re-incarnated as a walrus idea. He definitely works better as a zombie pirate.

btw, as one animator to another - at least you're not drawing LeChuck's animation! you've got the computer software to help you with that!

kool stuff tho!
  • edited June 2009
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuck_beards_sm.jpg

Actually, this Lechuck is quite close to MI2's Lechuck. Much closer than CMI or EMI were for sure. And the 3D version of this concept isn't any different, it's just that the version of him you see in the header isn't the best screencap of him you could take.

As well, even though it's an unfinished product, I think Lechucks beard actually glows less in the 3D version. I'm guessing that's just from the unfinished lighting and shading though.

Really really great artwork on Guybrush BTW. I'm curious, what made you change to the current version though? I really like some of these. The two rightmost ones are the best. Though the current version is great as well.
    I'm guessing it had to do with how they looked in the scenes themselves. Heightwise, it probably made Guybrush look a bit like a kid with a fake beard.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/Guybrush_thumbs_sm.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Really really great artwork on Guybrush BTW. I'm curious, what made you change to the current version though? I really like some of these. The two rightmost ones are the best. Though the current version is great as well.
    I'm guessing it had to do with how they looked in the scenes themselves. Heightwise, it probably made Guybrush look a bit like a kid with a fake beard.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/Guybrush_thumbs_sm.jpg

I really like the 7th one in the bottom row... proportion-wise it looks like Guybrush from MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    A wallpaper based on this http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/slide_anatomyofapirate_sm.jpg would be the coolest thing ever
  • edited June 2009
    Ack! He looked like a big LeChuck jackalope. Or a giant LeChuck cootie. No, thanks.
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »

This just in - Monkey Island staff devalues the opinions and feelings of carrots :eek:

Seriously though...this thread rules. I think LeTusk looks pretty menacing (especially the demon, glowing eyes picture) and would look like a total insane mess after eating ribs :D (He doesn't use napkins either)
    edited June 2009
    haha, i'm glad you guys liked the different iterations of guybrush. We had LEC's input with the overall guybrush and common consensus was a more mature guybrush with a smaller jacket. Animation comes into play when designing also. I think the current design and shape works the best, but its always a lot of fun to redesign such a well known character.. maybe later on for fun i'll make a super buff bad ass Guybrush. There are more versions of Guybrush, but those come later. Just wait.. bahaha!
  • edited June 2009
    Holy. Good times. Isn't the rightmost Guybrush what you guys settled on? nothing really jumps out to me as different
    edited June 2009
    Jayel wrote: »
    Holy. Good times. Isn't the rightmost Guybrush what you guys settled on? nothing really jumps out to me as different

Yessa, more or less.
  • edited June 2009
    Geh, i'm not very good at this. Lets see if i can get the hang of it.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuck_demon_sm.jpg

Awesome!!
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    ryan, yo such a good drawer.

(AND he's a street fighter prodigy ladies and gents)
  • edited June 2009
    I really like the 7th one in the bottom row... proportion-wise it looks like Guybrush from MI2.

Yeah that does look like him from MI2, too bad thats one of the ones with the least amount of detail :( I must say though, I am very pleased with their choice of Guybrush clothes. MI2 was always my favorite costume for him... he looks like he's grown up and trying to be a pirate captain.
    edited June 2009
    ryan, yo such a good drawer.

(AND he's a street fighter prodigy ladies and gents)

Gawsh, you're too sweet.
    Yeah that does look like him from MI2, too bad thats one of the ones with the least amount of detail :( I must say though, I am very pleased with their choice of Guybrush clothes. MI2 was always my favorite costume for him... he looks like he's grown up and trying to be a pirate captain.

Hells yes, the outfit from 2 was the most bad ast and the fans most liked the jacket. Guybrush really sprouted up.. but the jacket stayed the same. Ha!
  • edited June 2009
    Looks great. I kind of wish that you'd gone with a larger, bulkier jacket, but I'm not complaining your aesthetic choices.
    edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    Looks great. I kind of wish that you'd gone with a larger, bulkier jacket, but I'm not complaining your aesthetic choices.

I would have loved to give a long flowing jacket or something that really shows movement, but alas, there are technical things to deal with. Man, a physics engine would be great! But, adventure games really don't deal much with it.
  • edited June 2009

Wake up, Donnie...

@RyGuy, did you initially design LeChuck as "stonesque" to provide a more direct continuity with EMI, before the decision to distance it a bit?
  • edited June 2009
    I would have loved to give a long flowing jacket or something that really shows movement, but alas, there are technical things to deal with. Man, a physics engine would be great! But, adventure games really don't deal much with it.

Perhaps the next big feature of the Telltale Tool to work on? :D J/K
  • edited June 2009

Oh, absolutely, I agree and understand. It's easy for me to say that Guybrush should have a long, swishy coat since I'm not the one who would have to either animate it by hand or implement a physics engine to handle cloth-deformations in real time.

Conceptually, though, since Guybrush is a wannabe Pirate, I've always liked the idea that he "borrowed" the coat from another pirate, hence it being a little too big for him. After all, he does have a history of collecting items that don't belong to him.

Actually, now I think about it, a slightly ill-fitting smaller jacket works just as well for the same reasons. So, err, good job. Carry on. :)
  • edited June 2009
    By the way, any chance you might have time to give Guybrush a nice big, pirate belt buckle? That'd be the icing on the cake!
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    Oh, absolutely, I agree and understand. It's easy for me to say that Guybrush should have a long, swishy coat since I'm not the one who would have to either animate it by hand or implement a physics engine to handle cloth-deformations in real time.

Conceptually, though, since Guybrush is a wannabe Pirate, I've always liked the idea that he "borrowed" the coat from another pirate, hence it being a little too big for him. After all, he does have a history of collecting items that don't belong to him.

Actually, now I think about it, a slightly ill-fitting smaller jacket works just as well for the same reasons. So, err, good job. Carry on. :)

Strangely enough, it just occurred to me how big a klepto Guybrush is. Holy cripes on toast, he stole a lot of stuff.
  • edited June 2009
    wezzy wrote: »

I'm thinking T-shirt. That on a T-shirt would be awesome.
  • edited June 2009
    What about Elaine? Do you have any concept art with her? How did she progress from 2D to 3D in ToMI?
  • edited June 2009
    EDIT: Duplicate post. Darned internet Gremlins!
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    Strangely enough, it just occurred to me how big a klepto Guybrush is. Holy cripes on toast, he stole a lot of stuff.

Ha. That's the thing about adventure games, isn't it? Even the most noble, moral, law-abiding protagonists turn into thieving scum-bags as soon as they embark on their adventures.

It's like:

"I will depose the King of Thieves and bring law and order back to this land! That wrench might come in handy. And what's this? A sleeping drunk with a loose gold tooth? Someone will mug him if he's not careful. I'd better take the tooth with me for safe keeping. Wait a minute. Is there a ball of string in that old lady's knitting basket? And is that underwear hanging on that washing line?"
  • edited June 2009
    wezzy wrote: »
    Haven't seen much Pictures of him, but he looks a bit like Dominic (Armato) to me. No?
    Just with more beard
  • edited June 2009
    Speaking of cleptomania... I think you all know this, but maybe you don't. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoO9JslgBk

"I take it all with me!!!"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.