Concepts and Such

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Not that I would know a lot about this but I'd assume that's the animators job. Ryan's the concept artist. They only animate the 3D models based on Ryan's concept art.

True... I asked the question in a wrong manner. I meant: How exactly do you collaborate with the animators? How do you help them?
    :) sry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for pointing that out.
  • edited June 2009
    True... I asked the question in a wrong manner. I meant: How exactly do you collaborate with the animators? How do you help them?
    :) sry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for pointing that out.

Now I get you. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hi there,
    At any stage did you consider a more "realistic" style for monkey island,

Back in the day when graphics were more pixelated, i found in my own experience that i would mentally project how i though the characters should look onto their pixelated forms when i played the game, and the magnificent cover art done by steve purcell facilitated this.

I would have loved if the same style as monkey island 2 was used again at some stage, dark dingy and mature.
    Was this style ever considered, or was it taken that the CMI and EFMI set the precedent to how the series should continue.

Thanks for your time
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    ...Was this style ever considered, or was it taken that the CMI and EFMI set the precedent to how the series should continue.

When we started doing some initial research in the early stages of design, we found that fans gravitated to MI2 and MI 3 as their favorite art style. Some people thought that the first two game set the mood and style perfectly while others thought that CMI took the artistic vision to new heights! We decided early on that we would try to get the best of both worlds! We took our design cues from those 2 games and let them heavily influence our style while allowing Ryan and the other artists to put their own creative touches on the art!
  • edited June 2009
    ^ Neat. From what I've seen, it looks great!
  • edited June 2009
    You've done it almost perfectly, I reckon :)
  • edited June 2009
    This thread died 2 days ago O_o', i want more concepts ^^
  • edited June 2009
    Or at least rejected ones that have no chance of being in a future game...

Please?
  • edited June 2009
    Found this on Facebook. Looks brilliant! =)

4927_89153803363_78883723363_2056229_8214008_n.jpg

Also, Steve Purcell added these old CMI concept drawings of Lechuck, Elaine and the Voodo Lady on his blog a couple of days ago.

CoMIChars1.jpg

Looking forward for his ToMI coverart! Hope it's as epic as MI1&2.
  • edited June 2009
    Nice finds! I like the new Elaine's hair.
  • edited June 2009
    She looks sweet :)
  • edited June 2009
    I like how her engagement ring was turned into an earring. Impressive though it may be, I'd imagine it's just too awkward to do any serious pirating (or anything at all) with a rock that size weighing down your hand.
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I'm not dead! Just tired.. i'll post a picture of LeChuck tomorrow. Long live undead pirates!
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah! Or maybe long unlive undead pirates, or long die undead pirates or...something!

Just yay for undead pirates!
    edited June 2009
    I colored a version of Lechuck that is close to whats in the game. I like LeChuck.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuckFUN.jpg
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Whoa, awesome. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Wow! Brilliant! I really like the beard effect! Swirly... ooooooh...
  • edited June 2009
    Yikes!

That is just made of awesome. I especially love the Glowing Beard of Voodoo. :D
  • edited June 2009
    He's got hypno-powers in this one, admit it!
  • edited June 2009
    i love how it reminds me of his look in MI2, great work man!!.
  • edited June 2009
    Ry Guy wrote: »
    I like LeChuck.

Who doesn't? ;)

Great picture, thanks for sharing!
  • edited June 2009
    Beautiful artwork, Ryan! Is he going to have that foul stinky aura and glowing eyes in the game as well? :eek:

Either way, he looks awesome.
    edited June 2009
    So many things i wanted to do with LeChuck i got to do in here.. like the misty pox aura, glowing leaking eyes, swirling poxy beard. I also played through Psychonauts recently and was inspired by Edgar's the Velvet Painter's level where everything was in a blacklight. It would be great if when any part of LeChuck's skin went into shadow, the pox rings still glow, and when it's in light it just becomes dark green.
  • edited June 2009
    Ha!
    I thought those glowing spots on his beard were the remainings of his formerly fire one. You know, like if deep inside his beard something was still burning.

Although, voodo-vortex-juju was my plan b.
  • edited June 2009
    So many things i wanted to do with LeChuck i got to do in here.. like the misty pox aura, glowing leaking eyes, swirling poxy beard. I also played through Psychonauts recently and was inspired by Edgar's the Velvet Painter's level where everything was in a blacklight. It would be great if when any part of LeChuck's skin went into shadow, the pox rings still glow, and when it's in light it just becomes dark green.

Beyond excellent. That level had some of the best art direction ever.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow.

Hands down the best LeChuck ever.
  • edited June 2009
    I like the design images, but feel that it hasn't been translated too well into 3d.
    4927_89153813363_78883723363_2056231_4352377_n.jpg

Comparing the two, I am noticing the lips are a lot wider at the edges and the eyes are wider and more rounded at least with his current expression. The nose is different? The pants are larger and the shape is simplified. The colours are also quite bright and looks a bit too clean. Perhaps it would help if the texture was a bit dirtier.
  • edited June 2009
    David E wrote: »
    Whoa, awesome. :D

Wait, you WORK there and you haven't seen it? Wow...
  • edited June 2009
    I colored a version of Lechuck that is close to whats in the game. I like LeChuck.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/lechuckFUN.jpg

it looks amazing. I want a wallpaper with this piece of artwork :D
    nadir wrote: »
    I like the design images, but feel that it hasn't been translated too well into 3d.

unfortunately, i must agree. LeChuck looks way better on the artwork than ingame.
  • edited June 2009
    Marzhin wrote: »
    it looks amazing. I want a wallpaper with this piece of artwork :D

unfortunately, i must agree. LeChuck looks way better on the artwork than ingame.

Isn't that the case with everthing? The artwork for videogames always tends to surpass what it ends up like in-game.
  • edited June 2009
    Isn't that the case with everthing? The artwork for videogames always tends to surpass what it ends up like in-game.

Yes, but usually less as much...unfortunately IMHO the 3D barely resembles the concept in this case...
    No offense to the team though, the game looks great regardless.
  • edited June 2009
    I admit my original reaction to evil ol' Zombie Pirate LeChuck was a bit 'Um.. What's with the lips?', but then, why should it bother me? Each Monkey Island game does something new with the style, and they all go beyond something merely technological. That's half of what keeps the games interesting for me!

I actually sort of like the tusks for LeChuck, but then, LeChuck's already got Ghost Zombie Demon Politician Statue Evil Dread Pirate behind his name... I believe the point to draw the line is at 'Wooly Mammoth'.

I love seeing this stuff, you've made the pre-order worth it! :D
  • edited June 2009
    ^Welcome to the club! I assume that LeChuck will be much more evil and much more scary than we've seen him in the previous games! Just imagine his bear and eyes glowing in the dark... Surely we'll have something simmilar in the game, later on. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Just imagine his bear and eyes glowing in the dark...

He has an army of nuclear animals?
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    He has an army of nuclear animals?

Oops... I meant BEARD. : ) ) :p
    But a glow-in-the-dark bear would be cool too!
  • edited June 2009
    Oops... I meant BEARD. : ) ) :p
    But a glow-in-the-dark bear would be cool too!

Don't tell South Korea that, they have already done Ferrets and Cats :<
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    nadir wrote: »

I think in the final, shipped product, Ryan's concept is pretty much spot-on.
  • edited June 2009
    I think in the final, shipped product, Ryan's concept is pretty much spot-on.
    I am both thrilled and disappointed that
    he turns human! Seems too cool of a concept to go away that quick. I hope we see more of the updated LeChuck later in the series.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I am both thrilled and disappointed that
    he turns human! Seems too cool of a concept to go away that quick. I hope we see more of the updated LeChuck later in the series.
    There have been some posts about that which seem to imply that we'll have to play through the game to "find out what that means". I'm taking it as the pox eventually taking over Guybrush to the point that he "becomes" LeChuck.
  • edited June 2009
    There have been some posts about that which seem to imply that we'll have to play through the game to "find out what that means". I'm taking it as the pox eventually taking over Guybrush to the point that he "becomes" LeChuck.
    Something like a body swap? And then the execution being of Guybrush Threepwood's body which is inhabited by LeChuck? Or Guybrush becomes like LeChuck at the beginning of the game but not a totally replicated look?

The human idea is cool and I like it. It was a sweet idea - I just really like where they went with the LeChuck design and it's sad it's in so briefly. Your idea is cool although I kind of thought something along the same lines - undead Guybrush. I can see either way really - playing as LeChuck with evil Dominic voices sounds great.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.