Concepts and Such

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Friends, friends... let's not forget. There are some people, such as myself, who are having problems drawing...anything! :D I'm mostly good on piano, but if you put a pencil in my hand... I think I'll just stick it in my ear and go like "Hey, look at me, I'm the second biggest monkey head you've ever seen!"

lol.
    Who needs to draw when we have the art of words :cool:

... Yeah i'm not convinced, either. :p
  • edited June 2009
    Ry Guy wrote: »
    I kind of like her without bangs, but she's kind of like a kid.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/elain2.jpg

Elaine looks lovely. I've seen a render of her through another thread, and I can say that this is probably her best incarnation so far.
  • edited June 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    My great-uncle, grandmother, mother all said drawing the opposite sex was harder than drawing their own. Scientists, you should totally start studying this.
    I think is mostly about practicing than anything else.
    I personally have trouble drawing backgrounds, but that is because I dont like to use references :P and never studied backgrounds anyway, i focused mostly on figures, unfortunately none of my teachers took the time to teach me about them either.
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Or they could edit them into the first post of the thread :)
    Yeah that can work too ^^
    Zomantic wrote: »
    Elaine looks lovely. I've seen a render of her through another thread, and I can say that this is probably her best incarnation so far.

I totally agree.
  • vizviz
    edited June 2009
    I spotted this over at zbrush central: :eek:

attachment.php?attachmentid=91823

I think a round of applause is due!
  • edited June 2009
    viz wrote: »

Holy crap on tap! That's one of the most amazing sculptures I've ever seen! Or is that 3D! I can't tell the difference. :eek:
  • vizviz
    edited June 2009
    It is indeed 3d. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I think which gender is easier to draw depends on which gender you draw the most. I suck at drawing and I still draw men better than women, because I draw men more. I'm female, by the way.
  • edited June 2009
    (*makes grabby hand motions at statue*)

WANT.
  • edited June 2009
    viz wrote: »

OMFG!

The guys at zbrush central are downright incredible. I don't get why those kinds of graphics aren't used for games more. It always seems like their creations are better than anything that's out there.

What if a MI were made to look as incredibly detailed and grim as that? It would simply be the ultimate.
  • edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    OMFG!

The guys at zbrush central are downright incredible. I don't get why those kinds of graphics aren't used for games more. It always seems like their creations are better than anything that's out there.

What if a MI were made to look as incredibly detailed and grim as that? It would simply be the ultimate.

would probably kill my computer, as well ;)
  • edited June 2009

As amazing as it looks, I don't think its cartoony enough for MI. Looks a bit too serious and realistic for me.
  • edited June 2009
    As amazing as it looks, I don't think its cartoony enough for MI. Looks a bit too serious and realistic for me.

I think it would be an awesome growth. kinda like zelda going into twilight princess, only much more detailed. to be honest, this is more like what i pictured games in 2009 looking like back in the 90s.
  • edited June 2009
    I think it would be an awesome growth. kinda like zelda going into twilight princess, only much more detailed. to be honest, this is more like what i pictured games in 2009 looking like back in the 90s.

It just doesn't fit with the humour in the MI series, IMO.
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe one day they will make a darker Monkey Island game...yeah, for that, it fits. MI Series have "Humor Included", but it would be interesting to see the story from a more morbid point of view... After all, with these type of GREAT characters, you can explore any area of creativity.
    There are some characters (like Sam and Max for instance) who just cannot be taken seriously, as in give a dramatic effect. While MI always had that "under-layer" of darkness. Remember the Swamp in MI2? Or the Goodsoup Crypt in MI3. Those were great and spooky! I actually admit that I was too scared to play those sequences at night.
    Question for everybody: How do you picture LeChuck as a human again?
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe one day they will make a darker Monkey Island game...yeah, for that, it fits. MI Series have "Humor Included", but it would be interesting to see the story from a more morbid point of view... After all, with these type of GREAT characters, you can explore any area of creativity.
    There are some characters (like Sam and Max for instance) who just cannot be taken seriously, as in give a dramatic effect. While MI always had that "under-layer" of darkness. Remember the Swamp in MI2? Or the Goodsoup Crypt in MI3. Those were great and spooky! I actually admit that I was too scared to play those sequences at night.
    Question for everybody: How do you picture LeChuck as a human again?

I just picture him as his MI2 form, except not green and gruesome.

blackbeard_uy1q.jpg

I've always thought LeChuck was effectively Blackbeard, but obviously with his own character written on top of it. It'll be interesting to see how TTG have him looking, but I just hope he has that distinct beard
  • edited June 2009
    Wow! Niiiiice! Really nice! Got more? :D
  • edited June 2009
    For me, human LeChuck will always look like this :

chrctrslechuckcrew.jpg

(I'm talking about the big guy in the center, obviously ^^)

It's a concept art from the cancelled Monkey Island animated movie project. More to be seen on Tony Stacchi portfolio : http://www.stacchi.com/folio/
  • edited June 2009
    Wow! Niiiiice! Really nice! Got more? :D

Afraid not. That's just an image of Blackbeard I found when I googled him. Probably more by the same author, if you google her name :)
    Marzhin wrote: »
    For me, human LeChuck will always look like this :

chrctrslechuckcrew.jpg

(I'm talking about the big guy in the center, obviously ^^)

It's a concept art from the cancelled Monkey Island animated movie project. More to be seen on Tony Stacchi portfolio : http://www.stacchi.com/folio/

I'm not a fan of the art from the axed movie. On the one hand the story sounds brilliant, but on the other hand the art looks a bit too much like a cheap mid-90's Japanese cartoon. Then again, I don't know about cheap but it was certainly mid-90's :p

I like that image of LeChuck, though I think he needs more size in his chest, or rather, less in his lower half. He doesn't seem that threatening in the concept art, just obese. Apart from the girly bows I think they got the head spot-on what I would imagine him as.

I'll be interested in the ToMI art of him as human, because at the moment they have carried on the traditional of absolutely huge lips and eyes, which I think works quite well with the overall style they're going with in ToMI.

P.S. As a side not, don't you just love the funky green beard in ToMI's released art? :D
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Afraid not. That's just an image of Blackbeard I found when I googled him. Probably more by the same author, if you google her name :)

I think it comes from the 3D remake of Sid Meier's Pirates.
  • edited June 2009
    Also check Steve Purcell's blog including the following image. It's an older one from 2008. There are also other pics there, some really beautiful ones.
    Captain200.jpg
    It really makes me think of Blackbeard, but LeChuck got no fire or smoke around his beard when he's human. Only the CMI-Lechuck had fire... a lot of fire.
  • edited June 2009

I wonder, how her full body may have looked like. Cos this look of her is pretty... umm... sexy? And it is Elaine Marley. Check the filename.^^
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    I wonder, how her full body may have looked like. Cos this look of her is pretty... umm... sexy? And it is Elaine Marley. Check the filename.^^

Anybody? Everybody?

One... Two... Three....

KEIRA KNIGHTLEY!

except with red hair... or is it just me?
  • edited June 2009
    Anybody? Everybody?

One... Two... Three....

KEIRA KNIGHTLEY!

Actually she looks like someone out of a Leisure Suit Larry game, what with that facial expression. O_o
  • edited June 2009
    It just doesn't fit with the humour in the MI series, IMO.

the face could be made a bit funnier, and there's no reason why it couldn't say really funny things.

most of the characters and scenes from MI2, for example, weren't overly silly looking. like in Rapp Scallion's crypt, you can see bodies hanging from coffins, it's pretty grim. And there's lots of detail everywhere. Those were cutting edge graphics back then, it was only limited by the technology. If Ron Gilbert's team were afforded high resolution, I bet MI2 LeChuck would've been pretty disgusting looking, and not like a big funny oaf.
  • edited June 2009
    Anybody? Everybody?

One... Two... Three....

KEIRA KNIGHTLEY!

no it's not only you. I think this was a thought in the postings of that pic, too.
  • edited June 2009
    You start to sound like Doodo, or what's his name :p
  • edited June 2009
    I just wonder if there's any possiblility to see wireframes of your(the team's) models?
    They look so clean and low-poly, and I want to learn! :)
  • edited June 2009

Hard to deny the "EM" - but it looks more like* Kate Capsize to me

* how I imagined
  • edited June 2009
    glenfx wrote: »
    I think is mostly about practicing than anything else.
    I personally have trouble drawing backgrounds, but that is because I dont like to use references :P and never studied backgrounds anyway, i focused mostly on figures, unfortunately none of my teachers took the time to teach me about them either.
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I think which gender is easier to draw depends on which gender you draw the most. I suck at drawing and I still draw men better than women, because I draw men more. I'm female, by the way.

The thing is my uncle was professional, so when he was younger and did more ad work he drew mostly women. Maybe it's just a thing with my family and friends?

As regards the concept work, how did you guys decide to handle the MI tradition of merging the modern world with a 1600-1700's Caribbean? It seems like a bit of a tightrope, including night clubs with tall ships. Did you ever come up with a design and think, "No, that's too much like Trader Vic's, modern themey intstead of anachronistically charming."
  • edited June 2009
    Book Ideas? Like in Wallace and Gromit?

I thought that was really clever, though I would have liked to not have any books repeat. There were 2 Humlets I think.

I'll leave Voodoo ideas to the pros.
  • edited June 2009
    You start to sound like Doodo, or what's his name :p
    Hey I'm a man. Even if it's just a painting, isn't there a chance to have some fantasies? Do you have a fantasy? Where is your Final Fantasy? Gone fishing, ehh?
    playclever wrote: »
    Hard to deny the "EM" - but it looks more like* Kate Capsize to me

* how I imagined

I don't think that Steve was offering a Kape Catsize... ehh Kate Capsize to his fans. You surely are right about that similarity especially the red hair, since Elaine got black / brunette hair. Maybe after some bloody insult fights, she gets red hair.^^
  • edited June 2009
    Hey I'm a man. Even if it's just a painting, isn't there a chance to have some fantasies? Do you have a fantasy? Where is your Final Fantasy? Gone fishing, ehh?

No, it's at the San Francisco Symphony! Woot! Sorry, sorry, I'm just a tad excited.
  • edited June 2009
    Well I don´t know whether there is a big game (not episodic) after TOMI but how about the islands Spittle and Pinnepeynne (how you actually write that?). They appeared on the map in MI 4, but until now there were still nowhere before. Would be nice to see them anytime. But I think the episodes are nearly ready for this idea? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Sven_Q45 wrote: »
    Well I don´t know whether there is a big game (not episodic) after TOMI but how about the islands Spittle and Pinnepeynne (how you actually write that?). They appeared on the map in MI 4, but until now there were still nowhere before. Would be nice to see them anytime. But I think the episodes are nearly ready for this idea? :)

It's Pinchpenny.

If you look at the actual islands, they look like resorts. Not a good idea imo :)
  • edited June 2009
    In EMI they looked like "big" islands.
  • edited June 2009
    Woo, you made Le'Chuck look like he was something out of Warcraft! :)
    Really loving these threads, great stuff.
  • edited June 2009
    love the concept art. thanks for sharing
  • edited June 2009
    How do you make the characters move? Do you sketch out each and every major frame? How do you decide how a character should move, from it's feet to the hair moving in the wind?
  • edited June 2009
    How do you make the characters move? Do you sketch out each and every major frame? How do you decide how a character should move, from it's feet to the hair moving in the wind?

Not that I would know a lot about this but I'd assume that's the animators job. Ryan's the concept artist. They only animate the 3D models based on Ryan's concept art.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.