Concepts and Such

Comments

• edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Something like a body swap? And then the execution being of Guybrush Threepwood's body which is inhabited by LeChuck? Or Guybrush becomes like LeChuck at the beginning of the game but not a totally replicated look?

The human idea is cool and I like it. It was a sweet idea - I just really like where they went with the LeChuck design and it's sad it's in so briefly. Your idea is cool although I kind of thought something along the same lines - undead Guybrush. I can see either way really - playing as LeChuck with evil Dominic voices sounds great.
    Oh God, TTG have been reading too much Harry Potter :|
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Oh God, TTG have been reading too much Harry Potter :|
    How is this remotely like Harry Potter?
  • edited June 2009
    I'd have to ask the very same question.
  • edited June 2009

I'd have to ask the very same question.

I think he's talking about
    the Horcruxes, and how Harry was more or less one of Voldemort's. The parallel seems to be (respectively): LeChuck and Voldemort accidentally transferring some of their "essence" to Guybrush and Harry. Said transference changes the protagonist in a way that makes him more akin to his sworn enemy -- the danger being that if the hero isn't careful, he'll become just like what he's fighting against. The transference in "Harry Potter" leads to Harry becoming a Horcrux; in ToMI, it's the Pox infecting Guybrush.

This is just assuming Telltale takes the
    "Guybrush eventually becomes undead!"
    route with the main plot, of course. It's still a stretch, but I think I can see where Gryffalio is coming from. For the record, though, I think an
    undead Guybrush
    would be awesome with the way Telltale seems to be setting it up.

... Er, anyway! On topic! I love good concept art, so this thread has been a real treat to follow. Thanks for showing us your awesome work, Ryan. Your LeChuck is especially wonderful.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah I don't see much of a parallel there.
  • edited June 2009
    I see more of a parallel to Evil Dead 2.

"GIVE ME BACK MY HAAAAANNNNDDD!!!!" DX
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    "GIVE ME BACK MY HAAAAANNNNDDD!!!!" DX
    Guybrush with a stump-mounted chainsaw would definitely take the series in a different direction, wouldn't it?

Although, I wouldn't mind the whole "evil hand beating the hell out of him" sequence...
  • edited June 2009
    I think in the final, shipped product, Ryan's concept is pretty much spot-on.

This is good news :D
  • edited June 2009
    I dont think they will keep Lechuck human, or keep Guybrush as a zombie pirate (if they chose to go that way), i think that if Guybrush does turn fully zombie at some point. Towards the end his zombie curse will somehow be transfered back to Lechuck.
  • edited June 2009
    Harry Potter and Voldemort are supposed to be intimately connected because of the magic or whatever that went into his scar. Harry can be possessed by Voldemort at times (as the reader finds out in the last couple of books iirc) and Harry possesses many of Voldemorts traits and skills (such as talking to snakes as found in the second book). The whole LeChuck's pox turning Guybrush slowly into him sounds quite similar when you read it in the way you posted.

Hmm, hadn't noticed night rises had already summed it up a little better.

I like the way it's being set up by the TTG guys, but
    the way Guybrush would be killed but it's actually LeChuck just sounds like a J.K.Rowling kind of thing
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Harry Potter and Voldemort are supposed to be intimately connected because of the magic or whatever that went into his scar. Harry can be possessed by Voldemort at times (as the reader finds out in the last couple of books iirc) and Harry possesses many of Voldemorts traits and skills (such as talking to snakes as found in the second book). The whole LeChuck's pox turning Guybrush slowly into him sounds quite similar when you read it in the way you posted.

Hmm, hadn't noticed night rises had already summed it up a little better.

I like the way it's being set up by the TTG guys, but
    the way Guybrush would be killed but it's actually LeChuck just sounds like a J.K.Rowling kind of thing
    You have kind of a point if they go that route but you can hardly
    call it something J.K. Rowling made up.
    It's not exactly a unique plot device. Although I do see better where you're coming, yet I still see
    little obvious connection to Harry Potter in the sense that a casual viewer would catch.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    spoiler alert: you will attend chimpwarts scurvy school of buckaneering. it's our freshest, most original story yet.
  • edited June 2009
    spoiler alert: you will attend chimpwarts scurvy school of buckaneering. it's our freshest, most original story yet.

rofl :)
  • edited June 2009
    That's not original. That's just inverting a concept from Escape from Monkey Island!
  • edited June 2009
    love the new pic
  • edited June 2009
    That's not original. That's just inverting a concept from Escape from Monkey Island!

... and as we all know it wasn't that good. If you wanna take ideas, pick'em from the first two parts. I liked the Bloody Lip and the orange-brown octopus swimming from bull's eye to bull's eye to bull's eye to... wait there were only three bull's eyes, right?
  • edited June 2009
    Sometimes I get the feeling that people wouldn't notice a joke if it hit them squarely in the face.
  • edited June 2009
    inso wrote: »
    Sometimes I get the feeling that people wouldn't notice a joke if it hit them squarely in the face.
    And then I wonder why they're Monkey Island fans. Then I realize that SO MANY jokes are coming at them with such speed and ferocity that even the most oblivious person couldn't bungle their way around every pun.
  • edited June 2009
    And then I wonder why they're Monkey Island fans. Then I realize that SO MANY jokes are coming at them with such speed and ferocity that even the most oblivious person couldn't bungle their way around every pun.

You don't know that! That pun could have come from the grassy knoll!
  • edited June 2009
    inso wrote: »
    Sometimes I get the feeling people don't realize people realize a joke is a joke but realize this is a run-on sentence.
  • edited June 2009
    That's what she said..
  • edited June 2009
    I just watched the TOMI into and am very impressed.
    http://au.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/talesofmonkeyisland/video/6212797/tales-of-monkey-island-gameplay-movie-1?hd=1

The LeChuck model looks a lot better in motion with the dramatic lighting, it's all looking excelent. You guys have done a great job, and I can't wait to be playing this :D
  • edited June 2009
    I love the Depth-of-Field usage... especially that little stuff, like LeChuck holding his arm out towards the camera. This is going to be wooooonderful!
  • edited June 2009
    I love the Depth-of-Field usage... especially that little stuff, like LeChuck holding his arm out towards the camera. This is going to be wooooonderful!

yeh I noticed that too, very cinematic :D love it
  • edited June 2009
    I will not watch the intro before the release, I will not watch the intro before the release...
    HELP PLEASE, I NEED HELP!
  • edited June 2009
    Abel wrote: »
    I will not watch the intro before the release, I will not watch the intro before the release...
    HELP PLEASE, I NEED HELP!

Too late ;)

I'm now even more impatient to grab it.
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe it's intention but from the videos so far the new LeChuck doesn't look scary or mighty to me at all. I somehow would have hoped more for a MI2 LeChuck, or one who looks more like the one from Purcell's blog or at least with some different colours. Looking at his face, the skin and the lips i always feel reminded of pickles.

Gotta eat some now...
  • edited July 2009
    nadir wrote: »
    I just watched the TOMI into and am very impressed.
    http://au.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/talesofmonkeyisland/video/6212797/tales-of-monkey-island-gameplay-movie-1?hd=1

The LeChuck model looks a lot better in motion with the dramatic lighting, it's all looking excelent. You guys have done a great job, and I can't wait to be playing this :D

Wow guys (i.e. the Telltale team)... the game looks really, really good.

Well done, indeed. Bravo. Looks like it'll be a pleasure--nay, a joy--to play. :)
  • EricPEricP Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009

Nice! Glad to hear it's being appreciated! :)
  • edited July 2009

Yeah. That was great. I really wish my computer was good enough to run Telltale's games on their highest graphics settings.
  • edited July 2009
    Wow guys (i.e. the Telltale team)... the game looks really, really good.

Well done, indeed. Bravo. Looks like it'll be a pleasure--nay, a joy--to play. :)
    • Love the incorporated 2D elements (i.e. the inventory map)
    • Love the music
    • Brilliant voice acting (although Earl Boen is irreplaceable)
    • Great character animation (especially facial)
  • edited July 2009
    EricP wrote: »
    Nice! Glad to hear it's being appreciated! :)

When I saw how subtly depth of field was used in W&G I did wonder if it was going to be used in TOMI, it's looking great.

I remember when I first got MI2 (in the before time, long long ago) I noticed the artists had blurred out certain foreground objects to give the depth of field effect, I loved it then and I love it now :cool:
  • edited July 2009
    So, anybody want to explain to a graphics layman what this fancy depth of field stuff is? :D
  • edited July 2009
    So, anybody want to explain to a graphics layman what this fancy depth of field stuff is? :D

You know how when you look at something the stuff closer and further away goes out of focus? Thats depth of field.
  • edited July 2009

Basically a real world camera lens has to be focused at specific distance so that it creates a clear picture of the thing you are filming or taking a photo of. Objects at other distances appear blurred because the light isn't converging at the focal point. This is true of our eyes as well.

Games have only recently started to emulate this effect, It is most noticable in the newer FPS games when you use iron sights to aim. While it's nothing overly important, it's a nice touch that adds to the cinematic feel :D
  • edited July 2009
    xzodia wrote: »
    You know how when you look at something the stuff closer and further away goes out of focus? Thats depth of field.

Visual example to help your point:

blurbackground2.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Oh god that hurts my eyes! x_x

But the point has been illustrated. Cool stuff!
  • edited July 2009
    I am not certain whether or not it has already been mentioned anywhere else on the forum yet, but there are new concepts and screenshots in the VIP section.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/concepts070109/
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/screenshots070109/

Also, a zipped version of the recent gameplay video.

http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/transfer/talesofmi_gameplay.zip
  • edited July 2009
    I love the new screenshots!

That concept art with the pirates: a single pirate wearing a number of different disguises, or just Telltale planning to save time and resources by building eight different characters off of the same model?
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    wow, i didn't even know about those concepts that I drew.. welp, its there.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.