Concepts and Such

Comments

• edited June 2009
    We could have at least a gallery with the fan-made stuff. The albums of the forum limit pics on 800x600.
  • edited June 2009
    That sounds cool... Hm, should we talk to the guys at World of Monkey Island? They have a "Fan Creations" section.
  • edited June 2009
    Everyone should have such T-shirt!
    swordmaster.th.png
  • edited June 2009
    Where's the "and all I got was this stupid T-Shirt" text? :p
  • edited June 2009
    That would be on the backside :D
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    See, the reason that I liked Guybrush's appearance in LeChuck's Revenge was because it suggested that the character had developed. In the first game, he wants to be a MIGHTY pirate; in the sequel, he is getting closer to achieving his goal, and this is reflected in his appearance. As much as I love CMI, Guybrush's appearance felt like a step backwards, and the same is true for EMI.

What I like about Guybrush's appearance in Tales of Monkey Island is that Guybrush is clearly older - he's lived the adventurous pirate lifestyle for a while now, he's become part of the pirate community, and his appearance reflects this. It'd be nice if at some point in the upcoming series, he met a young idealistic youth who says to him "I want to be a MIGHTY pirate! Just like you!"

I loved the beard Guybrush sported in MI2! I sorta like his goatee from the new one as well, although nothing beads a good beard. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Ne0n wrote: »
    swordmaster.th.png

Only if its 100% cotton.
  • edited June 2009
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    Only if its 100% cotton.
    Ne0n wrote: »
    swordmaster.th.png

If you click on the image, then when on imageshack click it again, and you will get a higher resolution. Then look at the info-flap on top of the shirt. :)
  • edited June 2009
    I came across this site while looking up some old images for comparison's sake. I nice quick refrence:
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/threepmarl.html

Whenever I play through MI2 I always find it strange seeing the enlarged shot of Guybrush on the pier with the fisherman. I think mainly because he has a fuller beard there.

I really like a lot of the concept art, and I can understand the descision to my him look more world weary. What I'll be interested to see will be if he's retained an element of innocence underneath that. To my mind he's still an enthusiatic kid beneath it all. (voodoo fairground or no voodoo fairground)
  • edited June 2009
    as far as the animation in this vs the previous games goes, a talented animator can bring life to anything no matter how much 'articulation' it has. look at Luxo Jr for a perfect example of that...

however, the more articulation built into the models, and specifically into their faces, the better. Tales has added more right? that gives the already talented animators more to work with. the animation wasn't BAD before and GOOD now, but the improvements to the engine now allow for a wider range of movement and will allow some subtleties to come into play.

which is good really, since this is the first time one of their series hasn't had a lump of plasticene, an anthropomorphic animal or a 2d flash animated something or other as the main characters.

love the concept art by the way.
  • edited June 2009
    plagiarize wrote: »
    a lump of plasticene, an anthropomorphic animal

Just WHAT do you mean by that? What's you're problem with W&G and S&M? :(
  • edited June 2009

I don't think he meant anything negative -- W&G are originally "claymation" characters and plasticine is modeling clay, and anthropomorphic animal just means a character that is an animal with human characteristics.

Monkey Island will be TT's first game in which all of the main characters are basically human.

*edit* -- not counting CSI... or texas hold'em... :D
  • edited June 2009
    one of their series
    Arodin wrote: »
    -- not counting CSI... or texas hold'em... :D
    Those aren't series ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Ry Guy wrote: »
    haha, i'm glad you guys liked the different iterations of guybrush. We had LEC's input with the overall guybrush and common consensus was a more mature guybrush with a smaller jacket. Animation comes into play when designing also. I think the current design and shape works the best, but its always a lot of fun to redesign such a well known character.. maybe later on for fun i'll make a super buff bad ass Guybrush. There are more versions of Guybrush, but those come later. Just wait.. bahaha!

That would be a nice
    easter egg
  • edited June 2009
    About Elaine...
    I have some stuff for her, just need to scan it on monday..

Any luck with that scanner? :D
  • edited June 2009
    Can we have some more pretty pictures please? We are like insatiable, little, baby birds, begging for more ... regurgitated ... character designs ...? Okay, so the simile kind of fell apart on me, but you get the gist. Also, have you done any cross-IP doodles, like a zombie Le Chuck beating up Jurgen, or getting his groove on with the Voo Doo Lady at the Zombie Factory? And if you haven't, gee whiz! Wouldn't that be fun to draw?:D
  • edited June 2009
    I believe Ry said he was looking into seeing if he could get some time to whip up some original wallpapers.. so that could be keeping him busy. :)
  • edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »

that guybrush, bottom row, just to the left of the big guybrush on the right, THAT to me is a nearly perfect original "true" guybrush look.
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    See, the reason that I liked Guybrush's appearance in LeChuck's Revenge was because it suggested that the character had developed. In the first game, he wants to be a MIGHTY pirate; in the sequel, he is getting closer to achieving his goal, and this is reflected in his appearance. As much as I love CMI, Guybrush's appearance felt like a step backwards, and the same is true for EMI.

What I like about Guybrush's appearance in Tales of Monkey Island is that Guybrush is clearly older - he's lived the adventurous pirate lifestyle for a while now, he's become part of the pirate community, and his appearance reflects this. It'd be nice if at some point in the upcoming series, he met a young idealistic youth who says to him "I want to be a MIGHTY pirate! Just like you!"

I agree with growth, but prefer it having little to no real aging (at least in the generational scope), and more importantly Guybrush never actually having any credibility as a pirate. I just think it's way funnier how other pirates still don't take him seriously at all in MI2, lol. He's always trying to prove himself as a real pirate, and it just never works, he'll never fit in, but he manages to clumsily find his way to the finish line. He was never actually cut out for it. Even Elaine wears the pants. To me, that's central to his character.
  • edited June 2009
    hey guys, what about a "locked" thread just to keep the concepts and designs for clean view instead of 95% of non design replyes?
  • edited June 2009

loved them :) just saying that it's easier to animate things the less human they look.
  • edited June 2009
    loved them :) just saying that it's easier to animate things the less human they look.

Well, you do have a point there. I'm just a hopeless S&M and W&G fanboy. :D

Though I am glad Telltale didn't opt to do W&G in actual clay animation.
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Man, sorry for the major delay! I was on Wallace for awhile and got side tracked. I'll get some other conceptions on lickety split!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    glenfx wrote: »
    hey guys, what about a "locked" thread just to keep the concepts and designs for clean view instead of 95% of non design replyes?

Hopefully we'll have time in the near-ish future to put up some summary threads of all the good bits out of all of the private forum stuff that's been happening the last week or so.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow! I'm especially interested in the various test incarnations of LeChuck, before arriving at the one you're using now. The one that ended up in the game definitely looks like LeChuck to me, and is easily my favorite of the character designs. These alternate LeChucks are interesting, but overall I'm pretty glad that you toned it down and went back to the basics.
  • edited June 2009
    He looks great! ...well, for a zombie-voodoo-demon-thing.
    I'm just relieved by the fact that, when LeChuck talks, his beard DOESN'T move along with his chin in a riddiculous manner, like in EMI. And Elaine's hair doesn't seem to be made out of wood, like in EMI.
  • edited June 2009
    birky wrote: »
    I came across this site while looking up some old images for comparison's sake. I nice quick refrence:
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/threepmarl.html

Whenever I play through MI2 I always find it strange seeing the enlarged shot of Guybrush on the pier with the fisherman. I think mainly because he has a fuller beard there.

I really like a lot of the concept art, and I can understand the descision to my him look more world weary. What I'll be interested to see will be if he's retained an element of innocence underneath that. To my mind he's still an enthusiatic kid beneath it all. (voodoo fairground or no voodoo fairground)

swep2k.jpg

I loved Guybrush's look in MI2. In MI1 he looked about 15-16-17, which was a good look for the new hero, but I think he had to grow up a little bit. The idea behind the beard was good but, being one of the eternally blessed (or cursed depending on your view) who can just stop shaving and only have a goatee, I think it would have been nicer to see Guybrush still beardly-challenged (as the ingame text in MI2 suggested) like me. The beard worked well for me before 2002, but with the styles in StarWars II, I can never get the above image out of my head when looking at Guybrush. I always feel like he should be about to pull out a lightsaber. :-)

I think he should age a tad, and TTG have done a great job on him this time in my opinion (MI4's Guybrush was one of the game-breakers for me, more so with the plain blue-white ensemble in Lucre), but be careful not to age him too much. He's been hovering around the late teens for me in all the games (except MI2, where the beard/ID gags overrode the large beard) and I don't think he should age too much.

Have any of the designers been watching formula one by any chance?
    jensonbuttone.jpg

None of the still pictures are a great likeness, but the first time I saw Guybrush, something about him made me shout, "JENSON BUTTON!"
    (Joke obviously :-))
    I like the full goatee instead of just the chin-patch, personally :)
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Heya, I added some of the early versions of the voodoo lady and elaine.

Some different looks and heads.. man some are ugly/weird. Ladies are tough to draw!
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/elain1.jpg

I kind of like her without bangs, but she's kind of like a kid.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/elain2.jpg

A scary voodoo lady would be neat! She has child bearing hips.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/voodoo1.jpg

Playing with the idea of a snake necklace that would hiss every so often. Didn't fly.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/voodoo2.jpg
  • edited June 2009

Some different looks and heads.. man some are ugly/weird. Ladies are tough to draw!

Playing with the idea of a snake necklace that would hiss every so often. Didn't fly.

On the Voodoo Lady, I love the snake scarf, but is it just me or is that necklace on the bottom fourth rightmost one....kind of creepy. :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    Great! Man, I wish I knew how to draw like that!
  • edited June 2009
    Love the threemonkey heads on the Voodoo ladies staff in the last one.
    As for Elaine, the full body one looks awesome.
  • edited June 2009
    Nice! :)
    Keep 'em comin'! :D
  • edited June 2009

I'm surprised, but I also prefer Elane without bangs. She looks more real for reasons I cannot explain.
  • edited June 2009
    Ladies are tough to draw!

My great-uncle, grandmother, mother all said drawing the opposite sex was harder than drawing their own. Scientists, you should totally start studying this.

I love the bald Voodoo lady! She's so hyper-feminine in her shape, to pair that with the bald head just seems so funny/scary at the same time. And my mom loves her tiny feet. It's wonderfully unrealistic. Stylized!

Seriously, you guys should put out an artbook. Please, Telltale, won't you take my money? Pretty please?
  • edited June 2009
    glenfx wrote: »

Or they could edit them into the first post of the thread :)
  • edited June 2009

Thanks for sharing! :)

I love the staff of the Voodoo Lady, and the size is just right,
    I also like Elaine in this one, she looked a bit jagged and nasty in CoMI in my opinion, I think the rounder head in EfMI was much better.
  • edited June 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    My great-uncle, grandmother, mother all said drawing the opposite sex was harder than drawing their own. Scientists, you should totally start studying this.

I'm outside that general realm of artistic weirdness. I have more trouble drawing men right than I do women. And I'm a guy, so I must be from some rare radiation bred race. My point is I don't think that's the case for everybody.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm outside that general realm of artistic weirdness. I have more trouble drawing men right than I do women. And I'm a guy, so I must be from some rare radiation bred race. My point is I don't think that's the case for everybody.

The guy from Sequential Art struggles with drawing men, too. Or so he says.
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe you're both just in touch with your feminine sides. Just kidding. And I figured not everybody would have that problem. After all, I know some people who have an easier time drawing cars than people, and I have a friend who draws in the most inefficient, awkward way possible but creates photo like drawings. At the same time she could not draw a cartoonish/stylized version of anything to save her life. If she can't see it in front of her, she can't draw it.
  • edited June 2009
    Friends, friends... let's not forget. There are some people, such as myself, who are having problems drawing...anything! :D I'm mostly good on piano, but if you put a pencil in my hand... I think I'll just stick it in my ear and go like "Hey, look at me, I'm the second biggest monkey head you've ever seen!"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.