The Vent/Help Thread

Comments

• edited April 2015

But these rioters are looting and burning down innocent businesses, they're ruining people's livelihoods when they do this.

Yeah, I would hate that people burn down my business, but he important concept is "Why?" and "What will be the result?".

You have reports of gangs coming together to take out white police officers. And I wouldn't call Freddie Gray innocent, he had a history with the police before, but at this moment, his death, what these people are rioting over, is under investigation I believe.

I don't have any other information about what you said besides what you said. I don't know, so I won't answer.

And these riots won't do anything to make the U.S. better, it only hurts their cause

Some riots have to be done. Maybe they will do better to the country (like the French Revolution or, at least a little, the Russian Revolution), but maybe they will do worse (like the Spanish Civil War or the March on Rome). That's why "Why?" and "What will be the result?" is important to know.

Also, what do you think that the American War of Independence was? A peaceful agreement? No, the Americans rioted and revolted.

If they protest peacefully, their voices will be heard, but not when they decide to attack others and steal from businesses in their own community.

A violent attach is more shocking on the short run then some voices. If some people are calm enough to protest non-violently, let them do it... but it will take a longer time then a riot.

But these rioters are looting and burning down innocent businesses, they're ruining people's livelihoods when they do this. You have reports

• Are you comparing the Revolutionary War to the riots in Baltimore? Actions that the colonists took actually had a meaning behind them, unlike the riots in Baltimore. The Boston Tea Party, one of the most significant events in American history, they did that because of the British taxes and the passage of the Tea Act by Britain. It was a protest that carried weight, that they were infuriated of being the subject of constant British taxation. People in Baltimore, meanwhile, are looting stores and businesses for no reason. The colonists chose tea as their target because that's what they were protesting, the taxation of tea, the rioters in Baltimore are looting stores just for the sake of looting, many of which have been pharmacies and liquor stores. The colonists sent a clear message, this taxation has gone too far and we wil not stand for it, the only message these riots are sending is that we will steal and destroy whatever stands in our way, even if it aaccomplishes nothing. Violence is a last resort, the colonists knew that, but these rioters don't. Martin Luther King Jr. always talked about peceful protests.

Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals.

If he saw what these people were doing today, he would hang his head in disappointment.

FauDeef posted: »

But these rioters are looting and burning down innocent businesses, they're ruining people's livelihoods when they do this. Yeah, I

• I still think the mods here are doing a good enough job that telltale will have no great desire to pay pro mods here the forum is already doing good

Flog61 posted: »

The issue isn't mods doing a bad job, its that volunteers are automatically less consistent and have a harder time of things than people on

• Only social standards made up by human beings for human beings

Only God can judge.

AWESOMEO posted: »

Let's make an hypothesis where I say: "I hate black people." Is my opinion wrong? No. Is it not acceptable by social/moral norms of

• Then there is no other reason, just do it.

Nooo... Other reasons.

• You have to give them credit man, they put up with a lot of bullshit, for zero incentive. <3 The Mods.

Some people suck up to them. Lots of people suck up to them. Recently a thread was made saying we should praise the new mods. For doing literally nothing except being mods.

• They should still pay our current mods, our mods are doing a super job.

Markd4547 posted: »

I still think the mods here are doing a good enough job that telltale will have no great desire to pay pro mods here the forum is already doing good

• It's not about doing a good job, it's about whether there are negative side consequences of the way they currently moderate.

I still think the mods here are doing a good enough job that telltale will have no great desire to pay pro mods here the forum is already doing good

• You treat people like human waste for long enough and they'll start to act like it. It's not all about Freddie Gay, it's about a large majority of people being marginalized and mistreated.

Then blame the right people, blame the one percent, instead of the cops, just doing their jobs.

BigBlindMax posted: »

You treat people like human waste for long enough and they'll start to act like it. It's not all about Freddie Gay, it's about a large majo

• CrazyGeorgeCrazyGeorge Banned
    edited April 2015

'm in favor of the riots. It's about time the US pays attention to its people i

They're only destroying their neighbor's belongings, that will show the faceless US Government. Come on.

Rioting doesn't solve anything, it just steps up the game, Imagine if the US just took the stance China takes on Rioting.

FauDeef posted: »

I'm in favor of the riots. It's about time the US pays attention to its people instead of paying attention on authority and bureaucracy.

• It's not about doing a good job,

Yes it is we expect the mods to do a good job and they do

They will always be negative consequences of whatever you do the fact you have to pay them and I'd expect a paid mod force who are being paid by telltale will be a lot stricter and a lot less accepting of opinions against the franchise.

The mods here are already a great part of this community :)

The forum is great now already the old saying comes to mind if it's not broken don't fix it

It's not about doing a good job, it's about whether there are negative side consequences of the way they currently moderate.

• definitely Or at least some benefits like free telltale games episodes etc or a percentage of their products

CrazyGeorge posted: »

They should still pay our current mods, our mods are doing a super job.

• I'm saying my complaint isnt that they arent doing a good job, so no, it isnt about that.

a paid mod force who are being paid by telltale will be a lot stricter and a lot less accepting of opinions against the franchise.

Less accepting of opinions which hurt people such as racism and homophobia? Yes. Less accepting of opinions against the company?

People haven't been banned for having opinions against the company on any site I visit with paid moderation. That sounds like baseless speculation to me.

The mods here are already a great part of this community :)

Mods being a part of a community is a problem in itself, as it leads to biases when dealign with people theyre friends with.

The forum is great now already the old saying comes to mind if it's not broken don't fix it

People complain about it all the time.

It's not about doing a good job, Yes it is we expect the mods to do a good job and they do They will always be negative consequen

• They have incentive - being in a position of power.

Some of them also like to show it off a bit, perhaps due to overexcitement in the moment. For example Kiwi_Walking_Dead (not sure about punctuation...) changed his profile picture to a badge that said 'moderator' on it for no reason other than self indulgence - t cant have been utility as moderators are already clearly marked.

You have to give them credit man, they put up with a lot of bullshit, for zero incentive. The Mods.

• CrazyGeorgeCrazyGeorge Banned
    edited April 2015

New VENT TIME,

Yesterday i went over my sister's house. Every time i go over there, my nephew is always staring at his ipad or some other piece of technology. I try to talk to him, and he ignores me. The anger starts to build, the house keeper tells me not to be so critical of him. At this point i am a little steamed, and i think to myself, who are you to tell me how to treat my nephew. Eventually my sister comes back downstairs, with the paperwork, i came over to sign, and i sign the paperwork, and as i am about to leave he shows me a game i let him borrow, now he declares i gave it to him.

I never said he could keep it, and i told him that. My sister took his side, which i knew she would. At this point i knew it was done, i knew i wouldn't get that game back so i left. God these children are so entitled. I declared at that moment he would never get another gift he wants from me, no games, no toys, nothing. I plan on getting him the most boring gifts from now on.

• SOCKS AND UNDERWEAR
    • A donation made in his name
    • Pencils
    • Notebooks
    • maybe a new flashy Trapper Keeper

His birthday is coming up in June. I can't wait to see his face.

• edited April 2015

People always will complain, the mods here already do the best with them issues so your opinion is baseless to see anything flag it the mods will sort it

Mods being a part of a community is a problem in itself, as it leads to biases when dealign with people theyre friends with.

I don't think that's true they earned the right to be mods by being great users and unbiased that's a very cynical perceptive

Look if you want pro mods here so much and our mods aren't good enough you pay the wages of these new pro mods for this forum or email telltale

Till then we have the mods here and they are doing a great job so I don't see this ever being an issue

I'm saying my complaint isnt that they arent doing a good job, so no, it isnt about that. a paid mod force who are being paid by tellt

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited April 2015

Because some cops obviously aren't doing their job correctly.

EDIT: To elaborate: people are lashing out against the villains they can see. The 1% aren't the ones shooting their kids and beating up their friends.

Of course, you gotta ask how much of the rioting is an excuse to raid the liquor store and cause mayhem. And based on news coverage I've been seeing, I'll admit that an awful lot of it is.

You treat people like human waste for long enough and they'll start to act like it. It's not all about Freddie Gay, it's about a large major

• And I completely agree, did you not see my use of the word "if"?

Only social standards made up by human beings for human beings Only God can judge.

• GAHAHA, that's great.

If I treated a family member like that, my mom would've set my ass on fire!

New VENT TIME, Yesterday i went over my sister's house. Every time i go over there, my nephew is always staring at his ipad or some other

• do the best with them issues so your opinion is baseless to see anything flag it the mods will sort it

My opinion is not baseless, I've just stated its base.

They do the best they can in their position. I'm saying the nature of the position should be changed, so that's irrelevant.

I don't think that's true they earned the right to be mods by being great users and unbiased that's a very cynical perceptive

Everyone in a community is biased towards some members, subconciously or not.

you pay the wages of these new pro mods for this forum or email telltale

What a ridiculous argument. That's like a company saying 'If you think our customer service should be better than you should give us 60,000 pounds to hire more workers!'. Complete nonsense. I shoudln't have to pay for a company to do a better job at protecting users from harassment and discrimination on its own website.

People always will complain, the mods here already do the best with them issues so your opinion is baseless to see anything flag it the mods

• Actually, China has been very cautious about handling riots since Tianamen Square Massacre. It was an absolute PR disaster for them.

'm in favor of the riots. It's about time the US pays attention to its people i They're only destroying their neighbor's belongings,

• They have incentive - being in a position of power.

I just don't see it like you do bro. I don't see it as much of a incentive.

They have incentive - being in a position of power. Some of them also like to show it off a bit, perhaps due to overexcitement in the mom

• Because some cops obviously aren't doing their job correctly.

LOL? What, one guy dies in police custody, and its suddenly the police's fault. Makes sense.

If i was in charge, i would of ended that riot by any means necessary. This shit needs to stop, i would make a example.

Because some cops obviously aren't doing their job correctly. EDIT: To elaborate: people are lashing out against the villains they can se

• They don't care. They just killed a bunch of people rioting in Hong Kong.

Actually, China has been very cautious about handling riots since Tianamen Square Massacre. It was an absolute PR disaster for them.

• Some people might think its mean, but he is spoiled. Trust me. At four years old he got a PS4.

GAHAHA, that's great. If I treated a family member like that, my mom would've set my ass on fire!

• edited April 2015

He sounds like a right dick.

Make sure to buy him the kind of underwear he doesnt like to wear, and pink pencils etc.

New VENT TIME, Yesterday i went over my sister's house. Every time i go over there, my nephew is always staring at his ipad or some other

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited April 2015

If someone made a donation as a birthday gift to me, I'd be more than happy.

By the way, your story is an exact replica of an episode from a local sitcom I used to watch.

• People complain about it all the time.

Which people complain about it all the time? To be honest your the only one I've ever seen mention it, other people may have wanted more mods a while ago but not replacing the ones they have

I'm saying my complaint isnt that they arent doing a good job, so no, it isnt about that. a paid mod force who are being paid by tellt

• edited April 2015

It has base because I said it has base ok whatever XD

What a ridiculous argument. That's like a company saying 'If you think our customer service should be better than you should give us 60,000 pounds to hire more workers!'. Complete nonsense. I shoudln't have to pay for a company to do a better job at protecting users from harassment and discrimination on its own website.

No a company who has free workers and works to a high standard with not just be ridiculous but also stupid to pay out money for paid workers when they already have a great company for free people will always complain no matter your workforce

The mods are not perfect but they do a great job your the only one complaining and telltale always had it this way so it shows it works they have a quality forum for free they'd be stupid to pay so they didn't simple :)

do the best with them issues so your opinion is baseless to see anything flag it the mods will sort it My opinion is not baseless, I

• I've gotten banned on here twice.

Once during a mental breakdown where I decided to take it out on the Minecraft game.

A second one during...I wouldn't call it another mental breakdown but I wasn't thinking clearly that night. I got in an argument, it just kept going and one thing led to another and three people were banned.

I get banned for an extremely short time but with this place being a very big safe haven for me it can become extremely hard to deal with it. Although when I'm in my right mind, I'm not usually a dick. :P

I wonder how often users who are temporarily banned repent and actually think they were wrong and deserved their ban. I find it most disc

• I think the riots bother me as this shows nothing but violence towards innocent people. Every time someone dies by police or someone non-black then people riot and take advantage of a bad situation. Cops killing people isn't right, most of the time they're innocent even though some of the more famous people killed on which riots have started had a well known connection with gangs and violence.

However, I doubt that killing and hurting innocent people despite the race is the best way to overcome these bad situations. Rioters randomly attacking innocent white bystanders and lighting ablaze and looting stores isn't getting "Justice" or "Overcoming the white oppression on them" but doing nothing but being violent during a time when they can.

You treat people like human waste for long enough and they'll start to act like it. It's not all about Freddie Gay, it's about a large majo

• edited April 2015

People constantly get frustrated about the lack of interaction from Telltale staff on the forum, for example, and leap upon any kind of update because theyre so rare.

Having an ever present...well, presence of Telltale on the forum by means of hired mods means that people would feel a closer relationship with the company, and experience less frustration.

People complain about it all the time. Which people complain about it all the time? To be honest your the only one I've ever seen mention it, other people may have wanted more mods a while ago but not replacing the ones they have

• Yes, if I give you a base, my opinion isn't baseless. That's how opinions work, especially as you havent disproved said bases remotely.

I's worked so far because Telltale aren't an AAA company yet. But they're becoming one.

It has base because I said it has base ok whatever XD What a ridiculous argument. That's like a company saying 'If you think our custo

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2015

Recently a thread was made saying we should praise the new mods. For doing literally nothing except being mods.

Some of them also like to show it off a bit, perhaps due to overexcitement in the moment. For example Kiwi_Walking_Dead (not sure about punctuation...) changed his profile picture to a badge that said 'moderator' on it for no reason other than self indulgence - t cant have been utility as moderators are already clearly marked.

I'm pretty sure both of those instances were just sarcastic humor and not literal glorification of mods...

They have incentive - being in a position of power. Some of them also like to show it off a bit, perhaps due to overexcitement in the mom

• edited April 2015

Seriously?

No you're right Flog, 100% self indulgence. He needed to feel like God from changing his profile picture, just like Blind totally feels powerful having a profile picture of the Crowd Control bat from TWAU.

Passive Aggressive Sarcasm is fun. Alright, I'm done...just wanted to get that out of my system.

EDIT:

Recently a thread was made saying we should praise the new mods. For doing literally nothing except being mods.

I didn't notice this till Blind pointed it out. I made that thread first of all and I did it as 1. A joke 2. A nice way to appreciate the work the Mods do for us 3. To be respectful, I know if I or you or anyone got chosen as a new mod we would want to feel welcomed into the new position and respected.

• edited April 2015

No you're right Flog, 100% self indulgence. He needed to feel like God from changing his profile picture, just like Blind totally feels powerful having a profile picture of the Crowd Control bat from TWAU.

Agreed, since I changed my avatar to a girl, I no longer feel male anymore, I thought it was just me who felt profile picture changes were life changing experiences.

Some of them also like to show it off a bit, perhaps due to overexcitement in the moment. For example Kiwi_Walking_Dead (not sure about punc

• I just don't see it like you do bro. I don't see it as much of a incentive.

I dunno, I do find myself at times getting high on power from deleting spambot posts and politely asking people to stay on topic. :P

They have incentive - being in a position of power. I just don't see it like you do bro. I don't see it as much of a incentive.

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni

Personally I think it's super beneficial to have moderators who are actually an integral part of the community, who hang out here just because they genuinely care. I really appreciate our volunteer mods and the time and consideration they dedicate to keeping the peace and trying to make this a welcoming place for everyone, especially as the community grows and changes with each new release. It's definitely not always an easy role to play, and there will inevitably be situations where at least a couple of people don't agree with a particular decision, but that's the nature of having a diverse community of people gathering in one place.

Telltale needs to hire professional moderators anyway. And they will.

• There are upsides and downsides of volunteer moderation.

But as companies grow bigger, official representation becomes more important. I can see how having fan-cum-moderators would be appealing for a quasi-indie developer.

puzzlebox posted: »

Personally I think it's super beneficial to have moderators who are actually an integral part of the community, who hang out here just becau

• Fan-WHAT-moderators?

There are upsides and downsides of volunteer moderation. But as companies grow bigger, official representation becomes more important. I can see how having fan-cum-moderators would be appealing for a quasi-indie developer.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.