Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I can't remember if they destroy the ring in CMI or something, though...

Awesome little reference if it is, in any case!
  • edited June 2009
    Doesn't the ring implode or something when Guybrush finally gets it off Elaines finger?

Edit: It explodes. See 3.33:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk7DGC0Ptso&
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Hey, I finally have a question for the dev people:

In the second "Behind the Bad" video Strong Bad has a bunch of 5" floppies onto which he tries to copy some TTG data. The bottom two are Monkey Island disks.

Was this a subtle hint, or just the throw away gag it appeared to be at the time?

If it was a hint, are there other hints still floating around?

I wish that was a hint, but I don't think we knew at the time. If we did, then we hoped people wouldn't take it as a hint, because then we'd be blowing our cover. :)
    I was browsing the concept art on the site, and i love the pirate version of The Vitruvian Man in the lab!

Also, is that the previously-cursed ring from CMI in Elaines ear?? It was a wedding ring after all so it makes sense she'd keep it...

It's surely the replacement ring.
    Bagge wrote: »
    IIRC, EMI said he washed up on the shore of Melée, without remembering where he came from, but with a strong urge to become a pirate. Other than that, his origins are never explained.

Unless you agree with the theory that Guybrush is just a kid in an amusement park, in which case, the point where he shows up at melée is when he's just entered the park, and he starts imagining he is in a pirate world.

Surreal amusement park or no, I've always sort of nebulously imagined that the entire world of Monkey Island only started to exist once Guybrush showed up. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how it's always felt to me.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi there,
    will there german language audioline and subtitles available in the episodes just as back in the days from MI3 and MI4? Would be absolutely great....
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    It's a near certainty that the game will be localized into other languages eventually, but the release on July 7th will be English language only (though anyone in the world can buy it of course!).
  • edited June 2009
    Well do you need german translators for subtitles at launch?.... :)
  • edited June 2009
    Could you provide more details concerning the score? Did Michael Land have access to a considerable number of live musicians or high quality samples? Are you planning a cd release? Can we expect the major themes to return (as well as a plethora of new ones, of course)
  • edited June 2009
    taoa wrote: »
    Are you guys using LUA as a scripting language? If that's so, are we going to see the Lua Bar again? Otherwise, are we going to see a different bar? :)

*shudders*

Give me the Scumm Bar any day.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Hi guys,

I just got back from an insanely busy day at E3, and boy are my monkeys tired!

Today, among a gazillion other things going on here at Team Monkey, Mark's off recording dialog for episode 2, as well as some quasi-panicky last-second pickups for episode 1 (i.e. making sure we HAVE a line for using the monkey coffin with the monkey). We're also integrating some very cool Michael Land music, and (to answer an earlier question), kicking the overhead island map into shape! So, um, "woot" (you whippersnappers still say "woot," right? I do so strive to be jiggy with the current slang...)

Here's a little something to chew on: The title of the first episode is NOT "It's the End of LeChuck as We Know It (And I Feel Sick)", but mostly because R.E.M. really isn't all that pirate-y.

Oooh, that does give me a really horrible idea though :)
    Stemmle
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah overheadmap! You rock my world.
    How much progress has been made on the rest of the episodes and on which parts of them (vo, story, whatever)?
  • edited June 2009
    In kasakhstan Woot is word for old prostitute!

I will look upon your treasures, gyspy. This is understood?
  • edited June 2009
    Will each episode cover one island alone?

Will we get huge scenarios to explore and solve puzzles ? (like PLunder and Blood Island in CMI, or Rubacava in Grim Fandango). I just adore those huge scenarios, so imersive.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok guys hope you answer my questions. Firts of all i preordered the game to show the MI support. 2nd... im from ARGENTINA :D so i deserve to get the question answered (cool uh?)...

so... here we go!!!

1) Did you planned to add "Chuck the plant" into Tales? (that would be cool).

2) Are you planning to make Day of the tentacle 2 (dunno what should be... Maniac Mansion 3?)?

3) Once the game is released, can u tell us what was the ideas and info that Ron shared with all of you? (lucky bastards :P).

4) Since this is a Monkey island 6... will Lucasarts release a real Monkey Island 5?

5) What chapter and game should i download from my free episode option, since i preordered?

6) Can anyone tell us what happened with Lechuck original voice? (since is in the special edition).

Regards and thank you for bringing back the Monkey Magic!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Hey devs, here's one that probably doesn't get asked often...:
    Will there be any nighttime scenes?

I think my favorite island in the whole 'saga' so far has been Melee Island, because it did the nightlife admosphere so well. It was mysterious and brooding, yet it felt alive (thanks to all the pirates walking about). Made you feel like something was really going on. I also liked the island you start on in MI 2, for its peaceful-yet-creepy nighttime atmosphere.

If you haven't considered it yet, please do... you can't have a pirate game without some good starry-skied moonlit atmosphere!
  • edited June 2009
    I agree 100%, Shanksworthy, great post!
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't think of that Shanksworthy, but not that I think about it I also think it would be a great idea. Night-time scenes would be very nice and atmospheric.
  • edited June 2009
    Merkel wrote: »
    I agree 100%, Shanksworthy, great post!

Amen to that. MI1 and MI2 were by far the best games (in my opinion) because of their "peaceful-yet-creepy nighttime atmosphere". Especially loved this in MI2.

The current game looks a bit too joyfull, some darker scenes would really be good!
  • edited June 2009
    I am about to update my Italian website with informations regarding TOMI, but I need to know two things.

1) As far as we know, the game that will be published on July the 7th doesn't feature the Spanish-
    German-Italian-French subtitling. That's a shame, because our Italian market is constantly struggling and we couldn't see an Italian version of TOMI for months (I'm optimistic here). I don't understand
    why you chose the right route with W&G but avoided this strategy with TOMI. My question is: if you've chosen to postpone the translations, will these translations be OWNED by you? I mean, will foreign gamers be able to update the games for free? Because right now many Italian players are dying to order the Special Edition featuring Steve's artwork, but are worried about this.

2) After all the commotion about direct control, I got used to the joypad control in W&G. Watching the Gamespot videos, I've noticed that the inventory system in TOMI is different, with a drag 'n' drop functionality. Does this mean that the "rotating-hotspots" system is discarded? It worked great with a joypad! Drag 'n' Dropping with a stick would be a nightmare.

BTW, I am eager to play Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.
    Thanks for this dream come true. :-D
  • edited June 2009
    Will the soundtrack be available? I love the MI background music, and have had it looping on both the sound systems in our house since we pre-ordered this game! 33 days of that should get us in the mood! Except that even surround-sound speakers with bass can't make the old Atari music sound good. But it's nostalgia!

Anyway, my question is when might we see a CD for ordering Michael Land's TMI soundtrack?

p.s.
    Your customer support rocks! I got an e-mail response the same day I asked a question, but I asked it at 5:40 PM, and figured I wouldn't get an answer for a day or two, but one came in at 7:52! Not only that, but I sent a follow up e-mail (Couldn't get into this forum) at 10:29 PM, and told them that it wan't a big hurry, and they had my account fixed and sent a reply e-mail by 10:44 PM! Now that's the most awesome turnaround time I've ever had on a support call. You guys must keep your support folks in cages 24/7.
    (:
  • edited June 2009
    http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211381/

I just watched that video. Why have the card in a sock? Why not put something with pockets up there?
  • edited June 2009
    CaliMonk wrote: »
    Amen to that. MI1 and MI2 were by far the best games (in my opinion) because of their "peaceful-yet-creepy nighttime atmosphere". Especially loved this in MI2.

The current game looks a bit too joyfull, some darker scenes would really be good!

Actually, too many "joyful"-looking daytime scenes was one of the many reasons I didn't like EMI. In fact if I look back, I have a lingering impression of the entire setting being barren, bland, and dry daylit scenes with zero atmosphere. (As I've said before, jokes are important, but atmosphere needs to be there as well otherwise the entire thing feels disposable).

Of course I'm not judging TMI by the few screenshots that have been released -- way to early for that. I'm just hoping those screenshots don't represent the tone of the entire game though. ***Edit*** Not that the current tone is bad (I just watched some gameplay footage from E3 and it's looking very Monkey Island-y) -- just saying I hope we get some nightlife is all.
  • edited June 2009
    This is not a question: Stan needs to be in the game. You can keep it a surprise if you want, but he'd better appear in at least one episode, because really, he and the Voodoo Lady are the only non-main characters to appear in each game so far, and he deserves to maintain that status as much as she does.

I'd say Stan is the funnier of the two, really.
  • edited June 2009
    bizarro wrote: »
    Ok guys hope you answer my questions. Firts of all i preordered the game to show the MI support. 2nd... im from ARGENTINA :D so i deserve to get the question answered (cool uh?)...

:)

There are a couple of argentinians around, there was another guy asking about shipment, and well, there is me also. :D
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    This is not a question: Stan needs to be in the game. You can keep it a surprise if you want, but he'd better appear in at least one episode, because really, he and the Voodoo Lady are the only non-main characters to appear in each game so far, and he deserves to maintain that status as much as she does.

I'd say Stan is the funnier of the two, really.

Bingo. :D
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211381/

I just watched that video. Why have the card in a sock? Why not put something with pockets up there?

Because all the "cool" pirates keep business cards in their socks.
  • edited June 2009
    About the background music in that video... I love the main Monkey Island theme as much as everyone, but we won't be hearing it constantly in the background of that scenary, won't we? It will end up on my nerves.
  • edited June 2009
    Needs dark humor -
    This is kind of an extension of what a few people were talking about regarding the pseudo-creepy night-time settings in MI1 and MI2. Starting with CMI, they started to move away from anything dark and moody, and with EMI they went full out Disneyland on us. SMI and MI2 had some dark settings, and also dark humor -- things like the scene where GT digs up one of Largo's relatives bones and his pants fall down, or the governor Phatt character -- a grossly overweight guy who couldn't get out of bed so he had tubes of food and drink piped into the room. Gross and weird and creepy and funny and memorable. I'd like to see the developers of TMI remember that it's a pirate story with a ghost/zombie/demon pirate, so there definitely should be some dark themes, dark settings and dark humor.
  • edited June 2009
    johanbcn wrote: »
    About the background music in that video... I love the main Monkey Island theme as much as everyone, but we won't be hearing it constantly in the background of that scenary, won't we? It will end up on my nerves.

Yeah I agree. That theme is the title/credits music, not background music. Hopefully it's just a placeholder or something in that video, they have said that they're still working on music.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The music in that video was indeed placeholder.
  • edited June 2009
    What was it like working side by side with a legend like Ron Gilbert, did he give you a lot of insight into the Guybrush character and how scenario should be approached in the true Monkey Island fashion.
  • edited June 2009
    Arodin wrote: »
    Needs dark humor -
    This is kind of an extension of what a few people were talking about regarding the pseudo-creepy night-time settings in MI1 and MI2. Starting with CMI, they started to move away from anything dark and moody, and with EMI they went full out Disneyland on us. SMI and MI2 had some dark settings, and also dark humor -- things like the scene where GT digs up one of Largo's relatives bones and his pants fall down, or the governor Phatt character -- a grossly overweight guy who couldn't get out of bed so he had tubes of food and drink piped into the room. Gross and weird and creepy and funny and memorable. I'd like to see the developers of TMI remember that it's a pirate story with a ghost/zombie/demon pirate, so there definitely should be some dark themes, dark settings and dark humor.

You nailed it.

My thoughts and feelings exactly! :)
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, too many "joyful"-looking daytime scenes was one of the many reasons I didn't like EMI. In fact if I look back, I have a lingering impression of the entire setting being barren, bland, and dry daylit scenes with zero atmosphere. (As I've said before, jokes are important, but atmosphere needs to be there as well otherwise the entire thing feels disposable).

I've actually never considered EMI to be a Monkey Island game, sure it has the same character names but there was no Monkey Island 'feeling' in the entire game (for me).

CMI did have some great scenes and at times still 'creepy' as you would expect for a Pirate game, walking around on an island by yourself in the dark with a slight uncomfortable feeling. It also did have a few scenes that were far too 'joyfull'.
  • edited June 2009
    Arodin wrote: »
    Needs dark humor -

Agreed. Aside from moody nighttime scenes, I hope to see some dark humor as well. I loved MI and MI2 immediately because the humor really appealed to my dark and absurd sense of humor. CMI took a little longer for me to warm up to, because it was more light and Disney-esque (in general tone I mean -- it had its dark moments as well).
  • edited June 2009
    how many pre-orders for this game have TellTales sold so far? Did you guys sell enough to cover all the cost's of making the game?
  • edited June 2009
    1.) I want to know if you guys wrote your own engine for this game, or does Telltale have a generic adventure game engine?

2.) How did this whole project get started? Was it initiated by Telltale, Lucas, fans, etc.?

Also, THANK YOU for bringing back Monkey Island! As little as 3 months ago I was browsing the net to see if there were any rumors about MI5, and I was beginning to think it would never happen. I have never been so glad to support a game with my money.

Cheers,
    Stephen
  • edited June 2009
    I'm really interested to see what form of 'insult battle' will appear in this game. Any hints? I really just want to tell someone they fight like a cow at an inappropriate time.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    scm007 wrote: »
    I want to know if you guys wrote your own engine for this game, or does Telltale have a generic adventure game engine?

We use the all-powerful "Telltale Tool" -- our own engine and toolset. It's geared specifically towards episodic development. All of the goodness we had to put into the engine to get Wallace and Gromit looking as great as it does is now at our disposal, which will benefit all of games, including TMI, from here on out.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi everyone! Great to be here, TOMI really is a dream come true. Couple o' impressions (English is not my mother tongue, I tend to overcomplicate it; but this forum is too big a chance to let it slip for such trivialities).
    Jake wrote:
    crushing your very soul in the process
    I can't wait!
    we imagine MI5 would be a grand 40 hour epic (if you're here, you probably know 40 hour epics aren't our thang) and TMI takes place after the presupposed events of that story

I really like that, both for marketing/fans reaction issues and from a storytelling point of view. LeChuck's Revenge has a bit of that feeling, right at the beginning: Guybrush looks different, he's carrying a lot of money with him, he's no longer Elaine's lover. That gives the story more depth, and suggests that great adventures and piratey quests have occurred: but Monkey Island always has to be about this Threepwood loser who gets involved in business way bigger than him (and, at the end, gets to kick some butt). An imaginary, immense fifth episode on the background of these humbler Tales: it feels right.
    Jake wrote:
    Surreal amusement park or no, I've always sort of nebulously imagined that the entire world of Monkey Island only started to exist once Guybrush showed up. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how it's always felt to me.

Never thought about that, but it does make a lot of sense. Guybrush's world as issued by his desires, by his dreams... Mulholland Drive, anyone? (I remember with pleasure that article in The Scumm Bar where MI2 was described as having a slight David Lynch touch.)
    It's always a delicate balance when you return to a beloved series: we want to make something that sits alongside what you know and love, but is also new and interesting. We want to be canonical, but also tell a new story.

That is exactly what I think was the point with EMI (or EFMI, as its creator prefers ;)): you could clearly feel the responsibility and the significance of this big legacy (of adventure gaming itself?) weighing as an immense burden on the developers' back, carried with gratitude and respect, and yet - at the same time - perceive every attempt the creators were making to transform it, to escape (yep!) from its unbearable influence. I think this is what made it special: its almost hysterical oscillation between the canonical and the iconoclastic (Herman Toothrot's contradictory past was significantly explained by many as a form of schizophrenia). I personally found it immensely entertaining, and I think it still lacks its due recognition as a classic.

On a side note, I think that the "rope sack" could become a great recurring gag (a bit like the fisherman with two pipes in LeChuck's Revenge).
  • edited June 2009
    We use the all-powerful "Telltale Tool" -- our own engine and toolset. It's geared specifically towards episodic development. All of the goodness we had to put into the engine to get Wallace and Gromit looking as great as it does is now at our disposal, which will benefit all of games, including TMI, from here on out.

Cool. Did you guys write the whole thing from the ground up? What language are you guys using mostly?
  • edited June 2009

The Scumm/Lua-bar is now called the toolbar?
This discussion has been closed.