Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• How dare you have the audacity to besmirch the good name of Gabe? LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK!

I was hoping for a gutted and dressed Gabe on a hook...is that too much to ask for?

• There's also animations for Clementine getting in and busting out of that ambulance in the Junkyard.

Cheddarhead posted: »

Pretty sure we know it was where Clem and Javi were originally going to meet, after both being imprisoned there by the NF, and where they'd

• Graysonn for top forum member of the month pls

Graysonn posted: »

AKA, hyping up something you don't know that much about, then getting pissed when ends up not being as good as you convinced yourself it wou

• why this location was part of the story?

This is where AJ was originally located. He was stolen by the Marauders, who were also javiers enemy, and Clem goes to find AJ, Javier stayed along to help because marianna was also stolen, who was his sister at the time.

know what the purpose of ending up in this location was?

To get AJ.

know what happened in this location to make it worth visiting?

That's like asking what made the cannibals in s1 worth visiting. They're sinister, they're dark, they're insane, and this is the walking dead. Everyone loves those kinds of things, not a retarded story about pudding and a family none of us know or care about.

know how this location ties into the rest of the story in any meaningful way?

Yeah, AJ is the main focus, and we need to go into a dangerous place (a slaughterhouse) to get him, because we have never seen a slaughter house in a walking dead game before (excluding the st johns place which was a lot smaller)

Which in layman's terms means: you don't know jack-shit about this place. You don't know what happened there, why it happened, how it happened, or how it relates to anything else in the game.

Max was supposed to die in the slaughter house. He was supposed to get his throat ripped out and eaten alive. This was scrapped, so instead his character completely vanished off the face of the earth. But I shouldn't be upset because I shouldn't have expected his character to get an actual sendoff, I suppose?

Slavery was taking place in the slaughter house, as seen in the concept art telltale themselves released. The goal for these marauders was to enslave as many as they could get so they could take over more land and expand.

The slaughter house originally was the capricorn farms. But, of course, like everything else we were excited for, that was scrapped too.

It was located across a river very near the junkyard in the game (which, by the way, was originally Clementines hide out, and there are game files showing her animations for opening the back doors to the ambulance located in the junkyard)

The factory like building was actually massive. Here is a picture of it from the outside: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/269995382048555021/286460185147604992/eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3B1dS5zaC91ZndzcS8wZGU5NTg1YWMzLnBuZyJ9_1.png

(POSSIBLY S4 SPOILER WARNING) ----------------- We were likely going to find AJ in this slaughter house where we would later see him take his first steps. Im posting this cause it was probably scrapped too.

So, yea, I guess I didn't know anything about it, guess you were right!!!!

Deltino posted: »

and changed into something else less interesting. Implying the slaughterhouse was some super interesting idea to begin with, and not

• It was originally going to be about Javier.

@Deltino Was there any scrapped choices, scenes or lines in Michonne Mini-Series?

• Was it? That would've been a lot better than a whole season about him.

It was originally going to be about Javier.

• I sincerely doubt AJ was supposed to be there of all places.

why this location was part of the story? This is where AJ was originally located. He was stolen by the Marauders, who were also jav

• You doubt what the files actually said lol?

DabigRG posted: »

I sincerely doubt AJ was supposed to be there of all places.

• What? You didn't say anything about that being in the files.

You doubt what the files actually said lol?

• How else do you think I know all this? How would I have gotten that picture? It's from the files.

What? You didn't say anything about that being in the files.

• Because Deltino or Graysonn posted it in the past?

How else do you think I know all this? How would I have gotten that picture? It's from the files.

• Them and some more people have found more things.

Because Deltino or Graysonn posted it in the past?

• The unused content thread shouldn't be too far back in the thread pages. Feel free to share there.

Them and some more people have found more things.

• I'll keep this in mind when they release trailer information about the next season... Can I even trust the information they give me?

and changed into something else less interesting. Implying the slaughterhouse was some super interesting idea to begin with, and not

• The Savior's hideout kinda looked like that factory....

:O Is this where the Saviors were supposed to be introduced!?

Jk I know they're different, but maybe that's why telltale decided to scrap it.

why this location was part of the story? This is where AJ was originally located. He was stolen by the Marauders, who were also jav

• And you say this because...?

It was originally going to be about Javier.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Go do the same for No Mans Sky. Of course there were people who hyped themselves up to unbelievable heights but to pretend that this is purely a consumer problem and not a fucking terrible company outright lying in promotional material (NMS Multiplayer anyone?) is NOT in the slightest the fault of the consumer. How can you even defend that?

I'm not defending the practices... or rather, I wasn't trying to. Nor was I trying to pin all the blame on the consumer. Give me some credit here, man. I might be dumb, but I ain't that dumb (or maybe I am, you can be the judge). I probably could have worded my post way better than I did, but the way I see it, both sides were setting each other up for disappointment-- the devs lying and downgrading things behind the scenes, and the general audience's refusal to hedge their bets on the off chance of things going south. Albeit it was inadvertent and unintentional on the consumer side, but still.

Take Ubisoft as a prime example-- people know they do this crap. We've seen it happen. And we've seen all kinds of companies doing this kind of thing for years now, before and after. Yet time after time, people still fall for the same tricks, despite the ever increasing warning signs with each passing title. No Man's Sky was practically an exact copy of the Watch Dogs situation in terms of pre-release promos and hysteria... but that still didn't stop a lot of people from putting an abnormal amount of stock into the game despite some of the emerging red flags. There was definitely a portion that wisened up, no doubt about that, but it seems like the general audience still didn't quite learn the concept of "once bitten, twice shy".

I think it's more that the ideas of the story/theme that the slaughterhouse brings are far more interesting than A New Frontier as a entire game. It's actually more interesting to discuss what didn't make it into the game than actually discuss the mess that makes up ANF.

But that's just the thing, though; the primary reason people tend to find a scrapped/unfinished story so interesting is because they're filling in the blanks. Whether intentional or not, people help to make the story seem better than it is simply by thinking about it, speculating based on the pieces of information available. There seems to be a pattern with most leaks or beta footage of games, where everyone always seems to like it more than the final product... now that can mean multiple things, but I think one of the more probable theories is that the lack of finality to earlier builds allows room for the imagination to take over, to make things seem better. Then you also have the fact that a lot of times, there are elements that are solid concepts... but lack the framework for solid execution. Such as a crudely put together alpha of a game map with all these cool elements to it... but limitations of the engine or overall design philosophy for the rest of the game running counterintuitive to these elements. Or more simply put, it's not necessarily a case of the original plot lines/concepts being inherently more interesting than what was actually shipped. There's many variables at play in a situation like that, and I just don't believe in the idea of you being able to say with absolute certainty if an earlier, unfinished concept is better than the finished, shipped product. However, don't take that as me outright endorsing the direction ANF shipped with, though... there's certainly a degree of overlap that can occur between the two, I'll say that much.

The bottom line being that I don't think it's fair to outright claim "this is more interesting than what we got" strictly off of the limited amount of content we've seen pertaining to it. And the fact that all the stuff we've seen is mostly on paper, and not in practice. The translation of a concept off the drawing board and onto the screen can (and has had) varying results. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much. For all we know, all this stuff sounds cool on paper... but it could just as easily fall apart when actually put in motion.

I'll admit though-- that's just as much speculation on my part as it is the other way around. In fact, the ending of your post summed my feelings up better than my 6 paragraphs of bullshit did:

Would the slaughterhouse have been interesting? I obviously have no idea. It could easily have failed and been just like you said. But the fact remains that we will never know and what we're left with doesn't fill up that gap that the slaughterhouse maybe could have filled.

My whole spiel was mainly trying to get at the fact that nothing about the slaughterhouse is really certain. We have bits and pieces of it assembled. We have some cool sounding shit. We have some cool looking shit. But what we don't have is a full picture-- what any of this stuff would have looked like if it was all put together and seen in true action. People have simply convinced themselves that this would have been 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt better than what we got... and in my god's honest opinion, for very little practical reason. There's just this giant speculative window that we're left with.

AKA, hyping up something you don't know that much about, then getting pissed when ends up not being as good as you convinced yourself it wou

Oh yeah. Yep. Definitely. There was a pretty solid amount of stuff, actually.

I suppose I should dig around and just make a compilation post of stuff, since you mentioned it. Will get on that soon.

@Deltino Was there any scrapped choices, scenes or lines in Michonne Mini-Series?

• I understand where you're coming from when it comes to the slaughterhouse, I don't have a problem with what you're saying at all. What I really took issue with was when you seemed to say that it's not entirely on the fault of a developer for outright lying about certain elements of a game. Should people know better by now not to have such high expectations? Absolutely. But it's almost criminal (at least it should be as far as I'm concerned) to outright lie and market your game as having certain things but not actually include them and I don't agree that the fault lies on people buying into what overambitious devs are saying.

We live in a generation now of 'hype' culture where devs/PR definitely know what they're doing by overexagerrating and making their game sound like the best thing since sliced bread and I really really hate it. It gets to me like nothing else.

Go do the same for No Mans Sky. Of course there were people who hyped themselves up to unbelievable heights but to pretend that this is pure

Yeah, like I said, I wasn't trying to defend shit like that. I was trying to find some example of how hype and building things up can work against a game in the end... and well, those were some of the first names that came to mind. But there were probably much better examples than those, now that I think of it.

The main point I was trying to make is how everyone has convinced themselves that the slaughterhouse was going to be some super unique, interesting location. And sure, maybe there's a chance it would have. But there's also an equal chance it wouldn't. There's no way to know for sure; no certainty. Yet people keep building up and creating what is essentially a legacy out of it, which I can't say I agree with.

And for the record, I don't like all the hype culture shit, either. Honesty is becoming way too much of a commodity these days, ain't it? In all areas of life. I mean, aren't video games meant to be an escape from the crap we put up with in the real world? When I boot up a game, I boot it up to forget about crap, not to be greeted with even more crap. So quit shoving crap in my face, then shoving more crap in my face when I try to leave the room and go somewhere crapless.

I understand where you're coming from when it comes to the slaughterhouse, I don't have a problem with what you're saying at all. What I rea

• Wonderboy209Wonderboy209 Banned
    edited August 2017

The unused content thread shouldn't be too far back in the thread pages. Feel free to share there.

Feel free to share there.

hahahahahahahaha

The unused content thread shouldn't be too far back in the thread pages. Feel free to share there.

• I'm reminded of @BetterToSleep's Capricorn farm

trug

• How do you trigger BTS... hmmm...

Episode 5 Ava.

I'm reminded of @BetterToSleep's Capricorn farm

• truh

Yeah, those two are the fastest ways to get me sour about A New Frontier and Telltale and life.

dojo32161 posted: »

How do you trigger BTS... hmmm... Episode 5 Ava.

• What are you laughing at?

The unused content thread shouldn't be too far back in the thread pages. Feel free to share there. Feel free to share there. hahahahahahahaha

• i just realized
    bettertosleep
    bts
    before the storm
    @BetterToSleep is a LiS fan confirmed!

How do you trigger BTS... hmmm... Episode 5 Ava.

• It's also some k-pop band.

What's going on here? :triumph:

i just realized bettertosleep bts before the storm @BetterToSleep is a LiS fan confirmed!

• I think it was that David was feeling bad about not being there when Marianna was killed when he more or less put Clementine in the same situation.

Fangirl101 posted: »

I still don't understand...

• Nothing

Fangirl101 posted: »

What are you laughing at?

• You say weird stuff sometimes. :grin:

I think it was that David was feeling bad about not being there when Marianna was killed when he more or less put Clementine in the same situation.

• it's the illuminati
    it's even in chloe's outfit in bts
    but i guess you already know that
    you're one of them afer all

It's also some k-pop band. What's going on here?

• No both

What, about them dying?

• Alyssa Finley, Creative Director at Telltale, said the following some days ago:

In my opinion, some of the best stories in the [The Walking Dead] franchise were those where there wasn't a defined antagonist; the problems that the player had to work through were those of morality, relationships, and survival. It gets easier to make moral calls when there's a "bad guy" twirling their moustache, and easy moral calls are generally the less interesting ones.

As we know, bad execution can tear a good idea to shreds—but I feel like Alyssa has the right idea when it comes to moral shades in The Walking Dead. I'm hoping the writing team will be able to portray it satisfactorily in the final season.

• Yeah when I got that answer I found it a little strange since Badger (and Joan too at the end of Episode 4) is essentially that "twirling mustache bad guy". Although I understand it was probably the rewrites that caused him to be simplified into that villain.

I hope Telltale is able to stay true to the ideal Alyssa expressed in the quote for the final season.

Alyssa Finley, Creative Director at Telltale, said the following some days ago: In my opinion, some of the best stories in the [The Wa

• and Joan too at the end of Episode 4

Dang, that bullet hole in her face really made her the most evil person (or her running away).

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Yeah when I got that answer I found it a little strange since Badger (and Joan too at the end of Episode 4) is essentially that "twirling mu

• Once again, @Graysonn does an amazing job at compiling unused content, this time of Season Two!

I totally agree, "Better To Sleep" is quite the disturbing title.

• lol I meant before that when she does the dastardly switcheroo

and Joan too at the end of Episode 4 Dang, that bullet hole in her face really made her the most evil person (or her running away).

• edited September 2017

The slide tracks still give chills to my heart to this day. Especially Better To Sleep's. It truly sparks these eerie feelings. That and the slide combined set up such a "nowhere is safe" atmosphere. Maybe the change was wise since the episode would've been very underwhelming on the atmosphere aspect compared to its slide like Amid The Ruins was.

Also, notice the silhouette over Rebecca and Clem in In Cold Blood's slide. It seems someone holding a wrench? "In Cold Blood" + person holding wrench over soon to give birth woman... sounds like some pretty fucked up shit, possibly involving Carver? Is there anything about the silhouette on the files? It could just be a walker.

Had these be kept, the menu alone would've set up a dark, strong atmosphere. These little tracks and pictures alone are able to literally induce fear. It'd be awesome if something similar was reproduced in S4.

@Alyssa_TTG, plsssssssssssss

Thanks, @Graysonn.

Once again, @Graysonn does an amazing job at compiling unused content, this time of Season Two! I totally agree, "Better To Sleep" is quite the disturbing title.

• Is there anything about the silhouette on the files? It could just be a walker.

I didn't see it at all until someone pointed it out in the comments lol. There is a texture for the prison bars that are applied on top of the slide image in the final game but I'm not sure if the silohuette on that image was an effect or was part of the background. If it was a texture/applied effect then they removed it before release.

Also totally agree that we see the return to this kind of menu in S4!

The slide tracks still give chills to my heart to this day. Especially Better To Sleep's. It truly sparks these eerie feelings. That and the

• Thanks! I was worried people would find this video boring initially but I'm glad that people seemed to enjoy it. My next video is going to be much better though. Found some really interesting things I don't think anybody has ever seen/talked about before.

Once again, @Graysonn does an amazing job at compiling unused content, this time of Season Two! I totally agree, "Better To Sleep" is quite the disturbing title.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.