Behind The Scenes Look at TWAU2 and More, Hosted by Geoff Keighley February 9th at 10 AM PT

Comments

• edited February 2022

There was an Unwritten crossover called Unwritten Fables. From my understanding it was more so an Unwritten series first than a Fables series and it does go a bit further in that it has alternate universe stuff. However it is deemed uncanon to Fables. And dont quote me on this next part, but if I remember correctly it ends with restoring the original timeline or something so it isn't like they help only the alternate dimension.

(also you're right I said it backwards, Bigby goes to Gotham and crosses with Batman. Which is actually honestly weirder than Batman going to New York considering Fables ends (Spoilers) with Bigby and Snow needing to literally leave Earth for another realm, so I guess he takes a pitstop. But I guess that is being changed anyway because Fables 151 seemingly still takes place on Earth.)

What I am really trying to say here is that later Fables lore is such a mess lol

captainivy1 posted: »

Yeah I understand it's all a bit weird. Also, which spin-off is it thats non-canon? Just wanna make sure I havent missed something, currentl

• It appears I am also really bad at filling out bingo

Licensed music can technically be check off too, right?

• fellas explaining why its actually bad Telltale went to Epic Game Store so they stay more financially viable instead of just dying again

• edited February 2022

Things I liked:

• Bigby character's model
    • Adam Harrington and Erin Yvette reprising their role
    • 5 episodes coming separately
    • New engine.
    • Artistic Light direction
    • Lipsynch

Things I don't liked:

• Licensed music feels grotesque
    • Some textures are not cel-shaded
  • I just realized that I haven't played The Wolf Among Us since I believe...2017.

Jesus, I feel like replaying it right now.

• edited February 2022

The trailer looks awesome. The graphics, cinematography, music, fight scene... They nailed it and so far I'm really excited. Also it's great too see Adam and Erin, talking about Wolf 2 and giving us some interesting insight into what's going on between Bigby and Snow post the events of season one.

Looks like we're getting a really solid sequel and I'm very happy.

• I greet you.
    I have a question, specifically about the CGI trailers:
    I wanted to ask if anyone knows how long did the The Wolf Among Us 2 - Official Reveal Trailer & The Expanse: A Telltale Series Announcement Trailer take in terms of development?

In this context, how long do the famous AAA games trailers in terms of development time, such as the Call of Duty series or Assassin's Creed and World of Warcraft, take?
    Does anyone have an approximate estimate.

• considering the blog post says

The new trailer gives you a small taste of things to come – including stretching your legs outside of Fabletown to see more of The Big Apple, in the winter of 1980. That’s right, this new season takes place six months after the events in season one.

I... I had no idea the original game took place in 1980. I think the year was revealed in the text blurb in the first 20 seconds of Episode 1, but... wow, that detail either passed me by, or I'd totally forgotten it.
    I just thought it was going for a modern-ish 80s-styled noir detective game.

• If that’s true, all of us out here who thought the first game took place in 1983 or 1986 were dead fucking wrong.

AChicken posted: »

considering the blog post says The new trailer gives you a small taste of things to come – including stretching your legs outside of F

• I think it might just mean 1980 as in 1980s in general. Bit weird wording if that is the case but the actual year I dont feel matters that much anyway. I mean once again I feel like Wolf 2 wont have an actual set year date ever said.

If we are being overly selective, in the game files calendar textures say 1983, but in game the year is always covered by a sticky note as it seems they chose to keep it vague.

considering the blog post says The new trailer gives you a small taste of things to come – including stretching your legs outside of F

• Jesus, I feel like replaying it right now.

Do it! I am replaying it too. Love the first season and now season 2 next year? Yes

AronDracula posted: »

I just realized that I haven't played The Wolf Among Us since I believe...2017. Jesus, I feel like replaying it right now.

• edited February 2022

Wolf 2 is not CG. Its all in engine. I imagine episode 1 of wolf is in full production right now. Potentially the opening of the game, so probably was all of or maybe half of last year planning this out in engine.

LordSwabia posted: »

I greet you. I have a question, specifically about the CGI trailers: I wanted to ask if anyone knows how long did the The Wolf Among Us 2

• edited February 2022

If episode 1 of Wolf 2 were to release on its own I have a strong feeling it would have been out this summer. This is going by 2013-2015 telltale rules, so probably 2-3 months per an episode.
    Episode 1 - August
    Episode 2 - October
    Episode 3 - December
    Episode 4 - February
    Episode 5 - April

See you in April gang.

• I think Telltale 1.0 only took so long with episode releases because of rewrites and disorganized corporate structure. I don't see those issues occurring with new Telltale, so I bet episode releases with be a lot shorter between. Like, as in monthly, or maybe even weekly/bi-weekly.

Disclaimer: Mods are community volunteers, this is just speculation.

If episode 1 of Wolf 2 were to release on its own I have a strong feeling it would have been out this summer. This is going by 2013-2015 tel

• edited February 2022

Oh I know lol. This was me just speculating a "what if" it wasn't planned to release weekly-bi weekly as a full season.

If we are going by bi-weekly my estimate going by 2023.

Episode 1 - April 18th
    Episode 2 - May 2nd
    Episode 3 - May 16th
    Episode 4 - May 30th
    Episode 5 - June 6th

I think Telltale 1.0 only took so long with episode releases because of rewrites and disorganized corporate structure. I don't see those iss

• I always thought the game took place in 1986? I can't find any official information confirming that tho.

Interestingly when I was doing my timeline investigation few years back I was only able to pin down the day and month but not the year. Perhaps this will be the main mystery in Wolf 2, Bigby will have to figure out what year is it

Poogers555 posted: »

I think it might just mean 1980 as in 1980s in general. Bit weird wording if that is the case but the actual year I dont feel matters that m

• The Wolf subforum has moved up, nice

• I had checked like 30 minutes ago, curious to see if they would make any changes, and didn't see anything. Looks like I was a bit too early.

dojo32161 posted: »

The Wolf subforum has moved up, nice

• Yeah it's not like Steam was going to pay them lol. Grrr Tim Sweeney strikes again, fuck his bullshit

fellas explaining why its actually bad Telltale went to Epic Game Store so they stay more financially viable instead of just dying again

• The cinematography is nice especially when it showed Bigby in the anger management session and the girl but I'm not a big fan of the art direction in the motel. Looks way too cluttered? And some textures look a little off. Kinda hard to explain. Though the group therapy environment looks really nice with its lighting so it was probably intentional. Bigby looks nice (especially in the Key Art) but I'm not used to the new front of face and eyes just yet. Awesome to see a Telltale game with great animation though. See the tweet the first doesn't look great but the second and third look great.

As for the gameplay I don't think we'll be seeing a brawler game but that's probably a good thing. Hopefully we get some interesting and fun gameplay mechanics.

• Some old Telltale people and other writers liked this tweet but I don't really get the complaints tbh. Maybe I'm just being really ignorant here but it's absolutely not problematic to celebrate Wolf 2. Sucks that everyone lost their jobs in 2018 but that wasn't Jamie's fault. And I'm sure they're hiring for new positions right?

I'm excited, but I will forever ask myself how could have been the REAL wolf2 made by Nicole Martines and Jess Krause. I don't get why the n

• edited February 2022

Yeah I don't know if she's grossly misinformed or If she actually believes the guys who ran telltale before the closure still rund the ship now. I saw it before and it made me roll my eyes a good 360 degrees.

Edit: Meant to be a reply to @Ghetsis damn it.

Edit 2: Apparently I did reply. Thanks for lying to me, website

Ghetsis posted: »

https://twitter.com/elliejoypanic/status/1491484144643100673 Some old Telltale people and other writers liked this tweet but I don't re

• Yeah, I don't get why they are being so negative towards the company that was revived by people who weren't Telltale employees before (If I remember correctly) and intend to do better than what the old CEOs did. If they want to blame someone for the loss of their jobs, they should blame Pete Hawley and Kevin Bruner, ESPECIALLY Kevin Bruner.

Speaking of which, Bruner, if you see this comment, fuck you forever. I'm never gonna play your stupid Star Trek game after what you did.

https://twitter.com/elliejoypanic/status/1491484144643100673 Some old Telltale people and other writers liked this tweet but I don't re

• edited February 2022

• I think this is probably the best Telltale trailer we've ever seen. Seriously very impressive how well done it was by making the trailer itself tell a bit of a story. Plus the music and cinematography and direction. And I really mean direction for this, crazy how personal a lot of it feels on Bigby and I can very easily see what they meant when they said Season 2 will focus a lot on who Bigby is. I could gush about it forever with all the other technical improvements from past games, but seriously the trailer was awesome. If this is the same kind of direction we can expect in the released game, I think we are in for a massive treat.

• Full presentation is up

• Ghetsis posted: »

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited February 2022

I can understand why some people-- especially ex-staff-- would feel upset over this. The company imploding the way it did, and the way that everybody got scattered to the wind afterwards is terrible, and not all of them were lucky enough to land on their feet. I get that. But the situation with Telltale is not a straightforward matter. I think a lot of responses like this just come from a lack of understanding regarding the fall of Telltale. It isn't as straight forward as "Company fucks up, company goes bankrupt, company comes back good as new a year later," that's just stripping out all the nuance and factors behind it. There's also still quite a bit of misinformation on this front as well, which doesn't help either.

Case in point, the OP's response to a reply mentioning that the situation's more complicated than that:

I mean it’s not complicated, they chose not to rehire all the staff they laid off and just keep making games after being bailed out to finish TWD. I know so many people who were fucked over by that, so I won’t be buying any of their games again

This comes across like somebody that read the big headlines about Telltale, but never really looked deeper than that, and settled for assumptions. Heck, the fact that they're claiming that Telltale was "bailed out" and finished TWD is a pretty clear indicator that they're not fully read up on what happened. TWD was not finished by Telltale; it was finished by a group of people who previously worked at Telltale, and were brought back on a contract issued by the original owner of TWD IP, to whom the rights went back to. Nobody was bailed out of anything; this was an act of good will. It was another company deciding to save a game from certain death after the original company effectively bailed on it. And Skybound did all that at their own expense.

The new Telltale is a similar story; it's a new company, lead by a group of individuals that believe in what Telltale originally stood for; the driving ethos that defined their earlier titles. This is a group of people trying to salvage as much good as they can from a pile of bad... and once again, largely at their own expense. Nobody that was looking solely to turn a profit would've bought the Telltale name after what happened. No, that's the act of somebody that still has faith in what the company could've been, and what it can possibly still be.

The point is, going after the current Telltale doesn't help anything. The real people to blame for the company's failings are still out there, and guess what? They're suffering very little (if any) consequences for the roles they played in Telltale's fall, because everybody's too busy blaming the wrong people. You know who you should be going after with tweets like this? The former Telltale CEO that helped cause a lot of these problems, who is now heading up his own studio, and helping to develop a spiritual successor in the form of a Star Trek game.

• Everything looks really cool! Can’t wait to play another Telltale game.

• Gosh, I am feeling hyped. And I am feeling old. Can't believe it was almost ten years ago when the first episode was released.

• I was expecting more "Don't trust Telltale" takes on the internet today. Sad to see I was right.

The whole way the company went down is just sad. You've got Bruner, big CEO guy who refused to let the teams deviate from TWD's formula of "success", overworked, overstaffed, and over-collaborated on major IPs to get that next big hit... but getting lightning to strike twice is foolish. Especially on the scale that TWD changed the games industry -- so many games after it seemed to push for more point-and-click, moral-story-based-choices, episodic rollouts of content, etc. Doing it again doesn't make it better, it just makes it feel lazy, which Bruner's vision was.

Then you've got the near-redemption of Telltale, sorta, kinda depends on who you ask, with Pete Hawley. The guy was given a sinking ship essentially, after Bruner left and there was an interim CEO period. It was hemorrhaging money from so many projects, (didn't he also have to lay off some staff after he became CEO, or was that just before?), and had to restructure and push Telltale forward by treating the staff way better and tightening up projects. But... the way he did handle the exodus of the company was pretty terrible. He had so much of hte company's future staked on investors -- that pulled out when they needed them most -- and combined (allegedly) with the Stranger Things leak that cost them legal money? He definitely needed to be more open about the company's precarious position, instead of the 24-hour scramble the final day seemed to be.

I feel for the developers and writers, and everyone at Telltale who got so suddenly laid off. It's just not a situation that can be easily cleaned up, and some people not understanding or seeing the nuance in that is unfortunate.
    Obviously I don't know all the details, and I know this situation is probably a lot worse if you went through it yourself. But New Telltale with these New CEOs doesn't exactly owe itself to the previous staff, and certainly can't re-employ all 300 of them again, it just isn't feasible. Half their team are former staff anyway, so... hopefully more job openings can help others still struggling with it?

You know who you should be going after with tweets like this? The former Telltale CEO that helped cause a lot of these problems, who is now heading up his own studio, and helping to develop a spiritual successor in the form of a Star Trek game.

agreed on this. If only I could scream it from the digital rooftops.

Deltino posted: »

I can understand why some people-- especially ex-staff-- would feel upset over this. The company imploding the way it did, and the way that

• edited February 2022

What this should really open the door to is more conversations about Gaming Unions.

this is just... No.

(same person) I mean it’s not complicated, they chose not to rehire all the staff they laid off and just keep making games after being bailed out to finish TWD. I know so many people who were fucked over by that, so I won’t be buying any of their games again

Anyway let's stop going through this person's bad takes. A general search of "Telltale" on twitter is showing me more positive takes than bad so far. So that's nice.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited February 2022

And this person is likewise missing the point others are bringing up; that new Telltale isn't to blame for the sins of the previous ownership. Yes, the old Telltale caused a lot of pain, and many people haven't recovered from it. And they're right; companies shouldn't be able to just pack up and dip (or in Telltale's case, die) overnight, leaving their workers with nothing. But none of that lies with the new Telltale. Where's the ethical/moral problem with showing optimism with the game? TWAU2 is pretty much entirely divorced from the old Telltale as a product.

Besides, couldn't you argue that slandering the game like this is just as disrespectful as the optimism people are showing for it? People from the original Telltale, who worked on the original game are working on it, after all. As well as new people that didn't have anything to do with the previous company, who are not only helping develop the game, but trying to lift the Telltale legacy out of the mud as well. Do they deserve to get derided and denied a chance because the previous company fucked them over? Like I said, it's not solving any of the problems at play. It's just grandstanding for what might be the right reasons, but against the wrong people.

https://twitter.com/elliejoypanic/status/1491553805585903617 What this should really open the door to is more conversations about Gamin

• edited February 2022

Later issues are honestly no other way to put it- kinda bad. Writing really takes a nose dive with some really, really weird character beats and awkward storylines.

Yeah the comic definitely isn't nearly as good in the latter half especially after Bill Willingham started getting more... uh... "nationalistic", but there was still some stuff that I actually did enjoy, like them trying to be superheroes only for it to go horrifically wrong pretty much instantly.

I think the majority have this opinion to be honest, at least for those who started reading fables after playing Wolf. First few issues are

• It’s depressing that people are going after New Telltale and not Bruner. The man pretty much ran Telltale into the ground, mistreated his staff and destroyed any chances of the old company recovering out of pure pettiness, but nobody’s talking about that. If Jaime and co need to held accountable for the old management’s decisions, then the actual old management should be too.

To be completely honest, I get frustrated when this subject is brought up because nothing ever seems to change. I try to do my due diligence as a fan by trying to inform people instead of trying to change their minds or tell them what to think by showing them stuff like the GameInformer article that explains that the new Telltale is a new company run by new people; that AdHoc is made up of the original staff who worked on the first TWAU and not some group of randos Telltale is exploiting; that all of their current practices indicate that they really are trying to avoid making the same mistakes that the previous version of the company made. But it never seems to go anywhere, and for every hype tweet, there’s always one person who pops up with the same discourse about TELLTALE BAD and at least two other people who believe them and don’t want to hear anything else. It’s easy to feel hopeless when you’re constantly seeing that but have no real way to change it.

I was expecting more "Don't trust Telltale" takes on the internet today. Sad to see I was right. The whole way the company went down is j

• edited February 2022

I would say something about this person's idiocy, but Deltino (welcome back by the way, haven't seen you in a long time) pretty much summed it up. She has no idea what she's talking about, if she's assuming that this is the same iteration of Telltale that failed. Plus, they did try to get some of the original Telltale staff back, some accepted, and some didn't, but the fact is that the offer was there.

• (didn't he also have to lay off some staff after he became CEO, or was that just before?)

No, it was after Pete came on. He let go of about 25% of the company in a sizable reduction in an attempt to steer the ship back on track, restructure Telltale's management and development structure, and make the company a bit more profitable. You can see in his efforts he was trying to slow the company down a bit, making less games and pushing for more innovation. With the way Telltale was hemorrhaging money, there was no way it was going to be sustainable with as many people as it had, hell it wasn't even after the reduction. He came on to be a "fixer," basically someone who accepts a position to make necessary changes and turn a failing business hopefully back into a profitable one. And a good chunk of the people he let go were part of the old management structure that causes the problems at Telltale to begin with.

I was expecting more "Don't trust Telltale" takes on the internet today. Sad to see I was right. The whole way the company went down is j

• You know what these tweets read like? It reads like someone that got proven wrong, but is refusing to admit and own up to it, and decides to buckle down even more. When someone says they "aren't interested in arguing" in the face of counter arguments that prove them wrong, then that just means they are refusing to accept defeat and prefer to stay in their ignorant bubble to feel not only right, but morally superior to you and me. Hell, you can see that in her follow up tweets that try to paint it as black and white and ignores the nuance of the situation.

https://twitter.com/elliejoypanic/status/1491553805585903617 What this should really open the door to is more conversations about Gamin

Sign in to comment in this discussion.