Riddles of Monkey Island: time to recruit for this fan game!

Yes, that's right, I'm making a monkey island fan game after the fan game post on the tales blog (thanks SWP) inspired me to do so. Only
thing is, it's just the highway and me working on it, so I want you guys, the MI fan community to pitch in and help
make a successful game, whether that's giving story ideas or volunteering for a specific position. I'm also going to be holding auditions for voice actors aswel ( although guybrush is taken, well, at least one of them, hehe), but for now any contributions to content would be great.

Cheers,
Matt.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Well, have you got a basic storyline idea at the moment?
  • edited November 2010
    I'll ask again here...Can I voice Stan, please? Also, do you need a composer?
  • edited November 2010
    Can he voice Stan, please? :D

By the way, speaking of characters. Which already-existing Monkey Island characters are you planning to feature in the game? Because, it really would be best to have some sort of list of available positions in the initial post, both for voice acting positions as well as other (like what we saw in the 'I wonder what happened' thread and the 'IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG' thread). It's just that seeing the list of positions may act as a bit of an incentive for some people to step forward.
  • edited November 2010
    Let him voice Stan please, he finishes what he starts.
  • edited November 2010
    You know who's really good at plot-writing/editing/scripting? Me.
  • edited November 2010
    Hmm, this project intrigues me. I shall favorite this thread and wait for further advancements.

BTW, I can be animator.
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, let's see. I'm an EXPERT in doing... you know... plenty of... stuff. Believe me, you can not do this project without me! Hire me now! NOW!

For instance, I can... choose font styles! Also, i can take a look at other people's drawings and tell if is it any good! How about that?!

Also, i do plenty of voice-overs - trees, cannibals-without-a-script, quite-improper-yelling-monkeys, pirates who say Ni...
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, here's a list of voices I need so far:
    Elaine
    The Voodoo Lady Lechuck
    Chuckie
    Guybrush as a child
    Elaine as a child
    old man Guybrush
    John Decringe (a reference to Joseph Decreaux and Desinge)
    Winslow
    SilverWolfPet is now cast as Stan (yay :guybrush:)
    I'm also wanting to try and work Largo in, but we'll see.

Anyways, what I have so far is that it will be set between Monkey Island 2 and Curse, not making my own "Monkey Island 3" or anything but just a "what if?" that you do not under any circumstances have to follow as canon (duh, it's a fan game!) but if you want to that's also fine:D

The main focus will be going through the carnival trying to escape but you will also be able to go to secret locations on Monkey Island that haven't been seen ever before, just so I don't have to rely on using old backgrounds.

This brings me to my next point. I need background artists.
  • edited November 2010
    I need background artists.

backgroundqc.jpg

No?

FINE!

*leaves

(can i do something else?)
  • edited November 2010
    backgroundqc.jpg

No?

FINE!

*leaves

(can i do something else?)

I have no idea why, but I feel compelled to use that in a puzzle.

Oh, yeah, that's right, 2 more things; I need a puzzle designer and a composer.
  • edited November 2010
    I have no idea why, but I feel compelled to use that in a puzzle.

Oh, yeah, that's right, 2 more things; I need a puzzle designer and a composer.

Hey, that was a deleted puzzle from CMI.
    brushdo.png
  • edited November 2010
    Good luck to everyone who participates in this project! I'm looking forward to seeing the result. I wish I could join in, but I suck at everything you need.
  • edited November 2010
    waitwaitwait; How will Stan be in it if it's between MI2 and Curse? Isn't he a few feet underground in a tomb?
  • edited November 2010
    Stan can't be in this.
  • edited November 2010
    Perhaps someone discovered he was still alive in there, took him out, discovered that all Stan wanted to do was sell him something, got annoyed, put him back in the coffin, and then we're none the wiser in Curse.
  • edited November 2010
    Guybrush as a child
    old man Guybrush

Can I do these please? I currently can't give you a sample as I have a ton of things to do, but if you wait until maybe next sunday I can provide voice work.

If I mix old man with my normal voice and use the high voice I can barely still do I can do this perfectly.
    (I also do a pretty average Normal Guybrush)
  • edited November 2010
    Stan can be used in a brilliant way! I always loved the macabre-humor in MI games. Guybrush could actually use Stan's coffin to pull off a "Jack-Sparrow-boat" (PoTC2 reference). You can actually have this as a puzzle, talking to Stan, to shift inside the coffin so that the boat steers precisely where Guybrush wants it to go.

Oooor, Stan said that the coffin is incredibly durable (well, something along the lines of perfection)...Guybrush could use the coffin to smash something.

Both puzzles could implicate hilarious dialogue sequences.

Stan: "..and if I help you, do you promise to let me out??"
    Guybrush: "Erm...sure!"

Well, Guybrush actually keeps his promise in MI3 :p

EDIT: I could try and voice Largo too. But not like in MI2: SE...more like Dom did it in the april fool's joke.
  • edited November 2010
    I will play the game..... I suppose I could contribute in other ways... we will see.
  • edited November 2010
    I need a puzzle designer

Ok - so Guybrush is hanging from banana tree with an empty pockets. His legs are stuck in branches along with his right arm, and there's a LOT OF BANANAS just to the left of him.

But since he is hanging and can't actually reach his pockets, you can only hold 1 banana at a time because you can reach it using your left hand only.

So, if player picks up banana, and then uses banana on Guybrush, Guybrush will eat it. Nothing happens, you can only pick another banana. Actually, after 1000 times and when Guybrush eats 1000 bananas he becomes so fat and heavy that he breaks loose.

There's easier way too - you pick up banana, and then - TALK BANANA! Guybrush puts banana in his mouth. Then - OPEN BANANA! Guybrush peels it off with the help of his left hand, whilst holding banana in his mouth! TALK PEELED BANANA! and Guybrush takes a half of banana with his left hand and eats it. Now, you PICK LOT OF BANANAS! with your now-free left hand, and we have BANANA in your left hand, and HALF-EATEN AND PEELED BANANA in your mouth. USE BANANA ON HALF-EATEN AND PEELED BANANA and Guybrush loads banana into the peeled banana and we get - BANANA SHOOTER. Now, USE BANANA SHOOTER ON BRANCHES and Guybrush squeezes and shoots banana breaking branches and setting him free.
  • edited November 2010
    Stan can be used in a brilliant way! I always loved the macabre-humor in MI games. Guybrush could actually use Stan's coffin to pull off a "Jack-Sparrow-boat" (PoTC2 reference). You can actually have this as a puzzle, talking to Stan, to shift inside the coffin so that the boat steers precisely where Guybrush wants it to go.

Oooor, Stan said that the coffin is incredibly durable (well, something along the lines of perfection)...Guybrush could use the coffin to smash something.

Both puzzles could implicate hilarious dialogue sequences.

Stan: "..and if I help you, do you promise to let me out??"
    Guybrush: "Erm...sure!"

Well, Guybrush actually keeps his promise in MI3 :p

EDIT: I could try and voice Largo too. But not like in MI2: SE...more like Dom did it in the april fool's joke.

Someone hire this man to design puzzles.
  • edited November 2010
    Before you go trying to get stan into the game, here's a reminder:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNMeYkSLNCw
  • edited November 2010
    I'm still up for voicing the Narrator if you should find yourself needing to use him.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ACKULLYX
  • edited November 2010
    I'm still up for writing/puzzle designing/dialogue writing.

TITLE IDEA: The Barren Locker of Monkey Island (or BLOMI)

No wait. that's a terrible idea.
  • edited November 2010
    I have no problem with Stan being in the game (and out of the coffin), just so long as he's locked back in there at the end. It probably won't disrupt the continuity all that much this way.

But, if you plan on going with something like Silverwolfpet's idea, then might I suggest having Guybrush give Stan some food or something while he's in the coffin. Then we'll understand how he survives living in a coffin for so long.
  • edited November 2010
    Stan is going to be in the coffin the entire time, I have that part figured out, but the coffin will be a proper location; think the bottomless mug in Curse, but in a much broader sense.

Now, to update (EDIT: again)

Puzzle Design: SilverWolfPet
    Assistant Puzzle Design/Composer: TomPravetz
    Composer: SilverWolfPet
    Scripting/Programming: TomPravetz and Wusel
    I will PM Laserschwert about background design.

Animation: MonkeyMania,
    Character Design: Monkey Mania

Voice-overs:
    Stan: SilverWolfPet
    Present Guybrush: The Highway
    Guybrush's Dad: GuruGuru214 ( I don't want to have the narrator in this, but I think the deep voice fits how I have always imagined Guybrush's Dad to sound like, even after MI2:SE

Remolay, that's cool, you can send me samples whenever you can.

Now, I just need to have a suitable program to do all this. I would like it to be MI2 style graphics, so pixels basically, so I guess AGS?
  • edited November 2010
    Guybrush's Dad: GuruGuru214 ( I don't want to have the narrator in this, but I think the deep voice fits how I have always imagined Guybrush's Dad to sound like, even after MI2:SE

Sounds awesome. I'll try not to disappoint.
  • edited November 2010
    Stan's Obtained Items between MI2 and CMI

business cards
    a purple jacket
    2 file cabinets
    a plant
    a calendar
    a water cooler
    a table lamp
    a pen
    a whole bunch of other junk.

24340sj.gif
  • edited November 2010
    Okay here's the plot moreover.

The game opens with Elaine at the end of Monkey Island 2, standing on top of the remains of the "X marks the spot". She says her line from the last game, and it cuts to little Guybrush and
    "Chuckie" walking out of the tunnels and into the Big Whoop Amusement Park. the rest of MI2's ending plays out and then on the next screen Guybrush's parents turn back into skeletons and fall to pieces on the ground right next to the Madly Rotating Buccaneer (yes, I want to finally make a visual representation of that thing), while Lechuck turns into his true form which I'll have to think of later. Lechuck beats Guybrush with a porcelain vase and knocks him out. He awakes in a room of right now no description, let's say it's Stan's coffin for now, and we are faced with a Phatt Island jail stype scenario.

That's all I have so far, and I know it's a bit rough, but with your help and some fine-tuning I'm sure I can make it a bit better.
  • edited November 2010
    MonkeyMania is also a pretty great artist (link).
  • edited November 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    MonkeyMania is also a pretty great artist (link).

Ok, MonkeyMania is hired as character modeler and animator.

Oh, and where is that laserschwert, I need him for backgrounds!
  • edited November 2010
    Perhaps you might consider to chose the Point and click development kit as game engine? If you do, I am totally your programmer/will do the scripting.

You can see a game made with the PacDK here!

Think about it! It's a powerful engine, and at least as good as AGS :).
  • edited November 2010
    Puzzle Design: SilverWolfPet
    Scripting/Programming: Majus
    Composer: SilverWolfPet

Y'know, dumping all the puzzle design, scripting (in the non-technical sense), and composing on one person for each category can be kinda tough/stressing. So... "Assistant Puzzle Design/Scripting/Composer: TomPravetz" ?
  • edited November 2010
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    Y'know, dumping all the puzzle design, scripting (in the non-technical sense), and composing on one person for each category can be kinda tough/stressing. So... "Assistant Puzzle Design/Scripting/Composer: TomPravetz" ?

Oh shit, I just realised I thought you were Majus because of your avatar and didn't read your name Arghhhhhh!!!!!

Ok, now you can be assistant Puzzle Design/Composer and Scripter. Editing my last post.

EDIT: Also, Wusel, you can be the assistant Programmer/Scripter with TomPravetz. I'm so going to use this program you showed me, the graphics you can pull off look way better than what I was going to use.
  • edited November 2010
    Oh shit, I just realised I thought you were Majus because of your avatar and didn't read your name Arghhhhhh!!!!!

Ok, now you can be assistant Puzzle Design/Composer and Scripter. Editing my last post.

EDIT: Also, Wusel, you can be the assistant Programmer/Scripter with TomPravetz. I'm so going to use this program you showed me, the graphics you can pull off look way better than what I was going to use.

Well His Majus-ty and I do have a lot in common. We... uh... are both glasses-wearing awesomeness?

And... Yay! :D
  • edited November 2010
    Just a word from the wolf: Don't spoil the good parts of the game to the people who are not on the team :p

Maybe a private forum?
  • edited November 2010
    Also, Wusel, you can be the assistant Programmer/Scripter with TomPravetz. I'm so going to use this program you showed me, the graphics you can pull off look way better than what I was going to use.

That's great!
    I will be a reliable worker, putting together your awesome art and ideas to a playable whole :)

I'm really excited now, can't wait to start.
  • edited November 2010
    Just a word from the wolf: Don't spoil the good parts of the game to the people who are not on the team :p

Maybe a private forum?

Brilliant. Wave also works great. (I need to make up for the failure of IWWH'd... DX)
  • edited November 2010
    Yes, a forum would be nice.
  • edited November 2010
    Hey, I'll be the guy who gets you coffee, if there's an opening for that.
  • edited November 2010
    Also, just a thought, are you planning on making this one, long[-ish], continuous game, or are you planning on releasing it episodically, chapter-by-chapter?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.