The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• I know. I have it in DS. It's one of my favourite games.

I'm just sad that one day it may be lost to time.

dojo32161 posted: »

Ghost Trick is so good.

• Really enjoying Mass Effect so far, though I really wish Shepard could run more than 10 feet before running out of stamina lmao.

• Some good news, this is probably my last update about this for a while: The appeal worked and I'm officially registered back into Semester 4!

Yay! I think!
    To be brutally honest, I'm pretty sure getting kicked out in the first place drove a knife into my self-esteem and confidence. That, and the fact that in my withdrawal and appeal meetings, it seemed like the chair was really confident in pushing me towards trying out for the Acting for Media program instead. Lots of doubts and little regrets have been going through my head the past 2 weeks (especially after filing the appeal) about whether I'm really into continuing in the program that I've already thought about leaving, had lots of trouble with, etc.

Well, I'm in it now. I'll do my best to buckle down, get the help I need and use whatever accommodations I can, however I can to help in this hectic (and non-accommodation-friendly-curriculum)
    Also going through this with friends should help. We had a QnA seminar zoom with a prominent actor/producer/musician from New York today and it kinda helped me work through why this stuff is fun, what about it is fun to me and why it's also really painful.

AChicken posted: »

So, bit of an update to school stuff: I'm taking a chance and appealing the school's decision of withdrawal. To be honest, after this wee

• I'm glad to hear your appeal was successful.

To be brutally honest, I'm pretty sure getting kicked out in the first place drove a knife into my self-esteem and confidence.

That's normal, but think of it this way, you had enough self-esteem and confidence to make an appeal and fight for your place, so it's there, I can't diagnose it because, what do I know, but you may still be in shock over that ordeal, because it is very unforgiving to just be like "Yeah, no, you're done here", it would shock anyone, so you're feelings there are normal.

the fact that in my withdrawal and appeal meetings, it seemed like the chair was really confident in pushing me towards trying out for the Acting for Media program instead.

That there is fuel for success my friend, you fought for your place, you earned it, use the opportunity to show why you belong in your program.

Lots of doubts and little regrets have been going through my head the past 2 weeks (especially after filing the appeal) about whether I'm really into continuing in the program that I've already thought about leaving, had lots of trouble with, etc.

Again a normal reaction, like an evolutionary trait we have when dealing with what we perceive as threats are fight, flight or freeze. You considered removing yourself from the course because of the stress, but fought to remain in the course, you didn't freeze at all. That in itself shows you are interested and wish to continue with the course. You had trouble with it, but who hasn't had trouble with college? Some struggle more than others, that's a fact, but you have the passion for it, and you just need to let it out, blind them with your brilliance and don't second guess yourself.

Well, I'm in it now. I'll do my best to buckle down, get the help I need and use whatever accommodations I can, however I can to help in this hectic (and non-accommodation-friendly-curriculum)

It'll be a mess, and look, you'll have days where you think it's not worth the hassle but you have grit to get through it. You can do it.

Also going through this with friends should help. We had a QnA seminar zoom with a prominent actor/producer/musician from New York today and it kinda helped me work through why this stuff is fun, what about it is fun to me and why it's also really painful.

We tend to be at our best when with others, we're social creatures. Most careers I can think of are a double edged sword, there's always going to be a struggle, I don't want to come across as downplaying or dismissing your challenges, but through your struggles you'll strengthen yourself. Here's a quote to hopefully drive that point home:

"The strongest steel is forged by the fires of hell. It is pounded and struck repeatedly before it's plunged back into the molten fire. The fire gives it power and flexibility, and the blows give it STRENGTH. Those two thing make the metal pliable and able to withstand every battle it's called upon to fight." - Sherrilyn Kenyon

Some good news, this is probably my last update about this for a while: The appeal worked and I'm officially registered back into Semester 4

• Congratulations!

Some good news, this is probably my last update about this for a while: The appeal worked and I'm officially registered back into Semester 4

• Wow. Dylan, thanks for all that advice.

I don't know what to say.. other than I'll try to get through this as best I can.

Thanks @lupinb0y as well

I'm glad to hear your appeal was successful. To be brutally honest, I'm pretty sure getting kicked out in the first place drove a knif

• Sorry if I rambled, I really wanted to get across how I feel you can succeed.

Wow. Dylan, thanks for all that advice. I don't know what to say.. other than I'll try to get through this as best I can. Thanks @lupinb0y as well

• I'm happy for you Chicken, glad to hear.

• Teaser trailer for the next Dark Pictures game, House of Ashes, is out.

Man of Medan was pretty terrible and I'd argue that Little Hope was actually worse despite being slightly better written, but this has Ashley Tisdale in it so maybe this one will be good.

• I feel like The Dark Pictures anthology is a wasted potential. None of them managed to live up to Until Dawn's success. The hope for Supermassive's future kinda went down to zero.

lupinb0y posted: »

Teaser trailer for the next Dark Pictures game, House of Ashes, is out. Man of Medan was pretty terrible and I'd argue that Little Ho

• I'm asking this because I've been seeing a lot of people talk about this show a lot, especially lately because I think Season 2 is coming out soon. Is The Owl House any good? Like, is there a reason why some people are head over heels in love with this show? Is there an overarching plot, or just episodes that don't really tie into anything? I'm not bad mouthing it, please don't take it that way, but I have seen some clips or parts of it, enough to at least get a basic understanding of the show from what I've seen, and it looks...okay. Not bad, not good, just okay. Some jokes hit, some jokes miss, characters have personality but nothing groundbreaking, etc. Now obviously these are clips of random episodes, not whole episodes, but it is a basis.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Girl named Luz somehow gets teleported to Hogwarts for witches, gets taken in by a witch named Eda, some demon dog named King (who I think is voiced by the creator of Gravity Falls), and this really annoying sentient owl. Luz decides that she wants to become a witch, hijinks ensues. How's that, am I in the ballpark?

I'll be honest, almost 80% of the praise I've heard about this show comes from shipping, and that's sort of a red flag for me. Don't get me wrong, shipping can be fine and an enjoyable part of a fandom experience, but not when it's the main talk of the show or it ruins the entire experience because some people get carried away with it (cough Avatar cough). So much of the talk about this show involves Luz and another girl named Amity, who I guess is like this stuck up, elitist bitch in the beginning, but becomes more likable later (or at least I hope so, I really wouldn't want lesbian Katara to be an unlikable character). To be clear, it being a f/f ship is not the issue, it's the fanbase's obsession with it that is. In a show like The Dragon Prince, yes, a ship like Rayllum is a part of both the show and fandom, but it's not everything and there's other stuff going on. I guess what I'm asking is, does The Owl House have other stuff going on, or is the actual show just as obsessed on shipping as the fanbase is?

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

It's a good show. I'll say the first episode is the worst, mostly because the pacing is way too fast, feels like they wrote a two parter but had to smash it together (the episode also feels slightly odd looking back with the context of the rest of the series). After that it improves with each episode, there is an overarching plot that gradually reveals itself though there are still one off episodes dedicated to characterizing other characters. And as for Amity, sort of, she is kind of stuck up in the beginning, but not as much as you would expect from going in. In regards to the ship, there's a reason it's a big discussion point, because, the show is not subtle that they are heading in that direction instead of saving it for a last minute finale reveal ala Korra. Part of the reason why it's a big deal is because this is Disney, who, back when Gravity Falls was airing, asked the creator to remove two background female characters from kissing, so making a prominent wlw relationship is a good sign of the times (and helps that the two characters would be very good together).

Correct me if I'm wrong. Girl named Luz somehow gets teleported to Hogwarts for witches, gets taken in by a witch named Eda, some demon dog named King (who I think is voiced by the creator of Gravity Falls), and this really annoying sentient owl. Luz decides that she wants to become a witch, hijinks ensues. How's that, am I in the ballpark?

Yeah, you're about in the ballpark for the basic premise.

I'm asking this because I've been seeing a lot of people talk about this show a lot, especially lately because I think Season 2 is coming ou

• In regards to the ship, there's a reason it's a big discussion point, because, the show is not subtle that they are heading in that direction instead of saving it for a last minute finale reveal ala Korra.

I’ll fucking say. Every scene that I have seen where Amity and Luz share, Amity’s face decides to become a tomato, she blushes that hard. I fucking hate this phrase because it’s so fucking stupid, but...she is pretty much the definition of gay panic (and I just felt myself die a little on the inside, which is surprising because I didn’t think there was anything left to kill). Seriously, she has the closest thing to a lady boner I’ve ever seen. Contrary, Luz is either too imperceptive or naive to see it, because, again, based on clips I’ve seen, it’s entirely one sided.

It's a good show. I'll say the first episode is the worst, mostly because the pacing is way too fast, feels like they wrote a two parter but

Amity's definitely the one with the hardcore crush, though their relationship does gradually develop, a specific episode probably being the highlight of the season for it, but by the end of the first season it has not yet become romantic in nature.

In regards to the ship, there's a reason it's a big discussion point, because, the show is not subtle that they are heading in that directio

• I am not into Souls-like games which aren't made by FromSoftware but this looks very interesting.

Lies of P, a Souls-like game inspired the classic story of Pinocchio

Never knew I wanted something like this.

• Corey Kluber of the New York Yankees has thrown a no-hitter, that’s my fucking boy!

The legendary manga artist, Kentaro Miura, author of Berserk, has died at age 54

I'm happy for you Chicken, glad to hear.

• edited May 2021

I really enjoy the show, but like Dojo said the first episode is probably the weakest simply because it's all set up for the rest of the series. The humour is definitely hit or miss at times, though I'd say that goes for many kids shows, but there are definitely some bangers that had me laughing pretty hard. The first season itself is very episodic, with each episode either being a monster, magic or mess of the week but as it goes along it does sow in seeds of plot that come into play later in the season, particularly the final two episodes. Though that's not to say the episodic stuff isn't good as well, they're just not super high stakes in comparison to the later episodes.

From first appearance it certainly seems like a lampoon of Harry Potter with certain tropes like the Draco-like character, a magic school for witches and all that, but they do a good job of twisting them around or making fun of them. The show doesn't spend too much time dragging these elements out.

As for the romance stuff, it's just cute lol, like you said with the gay panic stuff with Amity's tomato lookin' face. The reason the romance has people in an uproar is mostly because not only is it Disney of all companies that gave the okay for it, but the fact that it's so incredibly unsubtle about the big gay and they're not trying to censor it or minimise it like they've done in the past with other shows.

I'm asking this because I've been seeing a lot of people talk about this show a lot, especially lately because I think Season 2 is coming ou

• edited May 2021

Accenture has published a report on the growth of the video games industry, from the approximate amount of players, to how much they believe the industry as a whole is valued at, and what people look for in games. They surveyed around 4,000 gamers from across China, US, UK, Japan, Canada, Italy, Spain etc. and some stuff they discovered was interesting.

One such thing is that the sex imbalance between male and female gamers isn't as massive as one may think, with around 46% of gamers being female, 52% being male, and 2% referred to as other.

84% say video games help them connect with people who share their interests. And they’re gaming to meet new people, too. That’s become even more important during COVID-19.

One of several statistics that caught my eye though, is the topic of whether or not gamers would play games if they were socially responsible, and 66% agreed/completely agreed that games should be socially responsible. 26% of people were on the fence, and neither agreed or disagreed. Whilst the remaining 8% opposed a game touching on social issues.

What's the takeaway here? The industry is booming, and has provided comfort for those who have needed it during the pandemic, and most people would like to see game developers tackle sensitive topics that relate to ongoing events in society. This isn't the full picture though, I encourage you to read it so to find out more

If anyone wants to read the report, by all means, I'll share the link below, I'll just say that with what I've read, I'm pretty pleased with the direction of the industry, and hope to see it develop a less cut-throat nature and provide employees w/ acceptable working conditions and safety nets:

https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insights/software-platforms/gaming-the-next-super-platform

• Well, looks like the bots are now sending ominous messages.

30 Days later.
    "Doomsday is near... Say goodbye to your loved ones before it is too late."

• Oh my. We getting doomsday bots now?

Well, looks like the bots are now sending ominous messages. 30 Days later. "Doomsday is near... Say goodbye to your loved ones before it is too late."

• edited May 2021

Insomniac Games have implemented a ton of accessibility features to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, they've shared a large Twitter thread going over each accessibility feature:

This'll definitely be a contender, and hopefully a winner of an award at this year's Game Awards, because there's so much depth in the measures they've taken.

The question I have though is, why isn't this an industry norm? Why not give games known for their difficulty, like Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Dark Souls etc. different difficulty options, so to be more inclusive? Games should be for everyone, it just sucks that there are so many players out there that are at a disadvantage because of a physical or mental disability, and there's little accomodation for them. Strides have been made, such as the Xbox Adaptable Controller, and high profile games like The Last of Us Part II having a wide array of accessibility features, but this is something I believe the industry should've had a grip on around the time of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 launch.

• edited May 2021

UPDATE: Right, if you're from the USA, scratch that, it appears the service I shared only works with Europe, I didn't know, so I'm sorry if I disappointed anyone.

Sorry for the amount of comments, but this is important to share I think, there is a website that allows you to queue so to obtain a PlayStation 5, if anyone here was looking for a PlayStation 5, this could be the golden ticket:

https://direct-queue.playstation.com/?c=sonyied&e=iqqd500i09&ver=v3-javascript-3.6.3&cver=280&man=PS Direct Prod KU Action&t=https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/hardware/ps5&kupver=akamai-1.0.2

• Oh, so that did come out.
    Dang, it looks like they really did put money into to it

...I may need to watch this show. https://twitter.com/fruitycaramelos/status/1393361194279395328

• This service is not available in your region

UPDATE: Right, if you're from the USA, scratch that, it appears the service I shared only works with Europe, I didn't know, so I'm sorry if

• dont delete this comment, mod

• Don't listen to Poogers, mod

Poogers555 posted: »

dont delete this comment, mod

Hmmm...

AronDracula posted: »

Don't listen to Poogers, mod

• Oops, my apologies man, I wasn't aware it was dependent on region, I actually thought it was a globally available service

This service is not available in your region

• Thank you, mod

Hmmm...

• Don't hmmm me

Hmmm...

• edited May 2021

I was just roaming around youtube as usual, then a youtuber which I haven't visited in a long time came into my mind and that is Cryaotic. Not the biggest fan of his content but he was entertaining to watch. I did use to watch his Telltale games playthroughs. I think most of us did. I was expecting him to just mind his own business, probably just playing Among Us or Fall Guys.

Then I realized, he hasn't posted for one year and his latest video is the most shocking thing I've ever seen on youtube. Check this out if you haven't seen it.

• I used to love this dudes Telltale videos. His Tales from the Borderlands LP was one of my favourite playthrough's of the game and one that I'd kept going back to. Sad that he turned out to be a piece of shit.

I was just roaming around youtube as usual, then a youtuber which I haven't visited in a long time came into my mind and that is Cryaotic. N

• I guess this is why he refuses to make a face reveal on social media. After this bullshit, I'll never watch his videos ever again. But I'll never forget his priceless reaction to Claptrap in TFTBL finale. I just can't believe someone like Cry made some things even way worse than Pewdiepie dropping the N-bomb.

lupinb0y posted: »

I used to love this dudes Telltale videos. His Tales from the Borderlands LP was one of my favourite playthrough's of the game and one that I'd kept going back to. Sad that he turned out to be a piece of shit.

• Finished Attack on Titan today. My thought on the finale?

"...This is the ending? ...Hm."

• Can't say I'm familiar with him or any issues surrounding him. What happened?

I guess this is why he refuses to make a face reveal on social media. After this bullshit, I'll never watch his videos ever again. But I'll

• Ok, I'll do the best to explain. Apparently, he had dated one of his best friends' girlfriend. Not as friends but as couple. Then he cheated on her for some of his fan girls who were UNDERAGE and Cry was in his late 20's. Someone said that he actually did it with one of those girls. He was a groomer Then he tried to make an excuse by saying he didn't even know they were underage.

Can't say I'm familiar with him or any issues surrounding him. What happened?

• Isn't that usually how that goes? You know, minus the cheating part.

Ok, I'll do the best to explain. Apparently, he had dated one of his best friends' girlfriend. Not as friends but as couple. Then he cheated

Sign in to comment in this discussion.