Monkey Island Treasure Hunting!

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Well I just got chapter 2 wiiware, and there was no treasure hunt page, but the little sign that says treasure hunting was there, just without the word treasure hunt. I havent beaten it yet, but I am guessing you MAY unlock it after you beat the game, but probably not.

I don't have the quote, but I'm pretty sure that it has been said officially that there will not be any more WiiWare maps. This is because the treasure hunting is in the first episode and they can't link the episode to their servers to unlock maps at a later date, so all the WiiWare maps were released with the first episode.
  • edited September 2009
    Hello all,
    I've read several topics on unlocking codes but they unlock the treasure instead of the map to get it. I don't care as much for the prizes, but more for the ingame "adventure" of finding them.

When unlocking the prizes, the maps will be added to the inventory when playing in "treasure hunting mode" but when you examine them, the game tells you you've found the treasure and requests if you want to go to the website to claim it. Not much fun.

My question is: how do the maps to the treasure get added to your treasure hunting page?

Is it something TellTale controlls? (Which players of TMI have no control over) Or is it an in-game thing? Like while playing, you unlock a map by performing a certain action...

I'm wondering because if it's some in-game action, I'm curious about how I could have missed it :p
  • edited September 2009
    The reason the tiki codes just give you the prizes is because the tiki is mainly for Wii players. The Wii can't automatically update their account once the maps have been solved like the PC can, so they have to have a way to claim the prizes, which are the tiki codes.

As for where you get the maps . . .

Map 1: is given automatically
    Map 2: you get from completing map 1
    Map 3: Wii only
    Map 4: Wii only
    Map 5: Wii only
    Map 6: Wii only
    Map 7: Is in last month's Interloper newsletter. The URL for the page to unlock the map has been linked a few times in this thread.
    Map 8: Is hidden somewhere here, here, here, and here.
  • edited September 2009
    Thespis wrote: »
    Map 8: Is hidden somewhere here, here, here, and here.

I found map 8 on http://www.worldofmi.com and http://www.miwiki.net but still have to find it on http://talesofmi.net and http://www.mixnmojo.com/

I like how they make you search outside the game ;)
  • edited September 2009
    Wow, I found them all.

MI wiki location: World of MI location: Mix n Mojo location: Tales of MI location:
    PS not a good spoiler tag, if you select the text, you can read it without clicking the tag first...
  • edited September 2009
    Am I crazy or is the design of the price for the 8th map a great mock-up of the journals from the Myst universe? :D
  • edited September 2009
    LordAndy wrote: »
    Am I crazy or is the design of the price for the 8th map a great mock-up of the journals from the Myst universe? :D

not nearly enough text in it.
  • edited September 2009
    I think all prizes ended up being the same.
  • edited September 2009
    I need a little help here.

Back when this started, I played around with the Tiki and received the first prize (for the "SHUTTLEMOC" map), but never bothered to do anything else, until now. I've decided to look into this "treasure huntery" business, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Right now, in the Launch of the Screaming Narwhal game, my inventory shows one completed map (the "SHUTTLEMOC" map with a Tiki in front of it), and one "Fudgebeard's Beginner's Map." I tried following this map, but it only leads to D'Oro, and since there are no "X's" around to dig up, I checked the "Treasure Hunt" website, which says the second map should be called "ESK'RGOH." The website also says I have collected the "ESK'RGOH" map, and completed the "SHUTTLEMOC" map. Where did Fudgebeard's map come from and how do I get the second map?
  • edited September 2009
    You get the second map after collecting the prize for completing the first map.
  • edited September 2009
    I've
    downloaded the wallpaper
    already. Is there some other way to "claim" this prize?
  • edited September 2009
    I've
    downloaded the wallpaper
    already. Is there some other way to "claim" this prize?

Following the link again to the prize page should do it
  • edited September 2009
    I have the steam versions of TOMI. how do i get those to work with the treasure hunting?
  • edited September 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Following the link again to the prize page should do it

Still nothing. I'm running the game on Windows 7 RC, if that makes a difference. I've just tried adding Launch of the Screaming Narwhal to the list of programs allowed to communicate through the firewall, but this didn't work either. (I think the game was already able to communicate through the firewall, since I have the completed map icon for SHUTTLEMOC in my inventory.) Can't seem to figure this one out.
  • edited September 2009
    Still nothing. I'm running the game on Windows 7 RC, if that makes a difference. I've just tried adding Launch of the Screaming Narwhal to the list of programs allowed to communicate through the firewall, but this didn't work either. (I think the game was already able to communicate through the firewall, since I have the completed map icon for SHUTTLEMOC in my inventory.) Can't seem to figure this one out.

I think checking your cookies settings would be a good next move. Maps 7&8 aren't activated by claiming prize 2, so you need to follow the links elsewhere in this thread for those (I think you can see and complete them before claiming the prize for map 2 but am unsure here).
  • edited September 2009
    Cookie?

Just kidding. I've figured out what the problem was - thanks for the help.
  • edited September 2009
    Cookie?

No.
  • edited September 2009
    Shmeh wrote: »
    I don't have the quote, but I'm pretty sure that it has been said officially that there will not be any more WiiWare maps. This is because the treasure hunting is in the first episode and they can't link the episode to their servers to unlock maps at a later date, so all the WiiWare maps were released with the first episode.

Ok, but then how will wiiware owners get the journal then. It is the only prize episode 1 wiiware didnt have.
  • edited September 2009
    Dan2593 wrote: »
    I can't use the Steam version? well that sucks.

Well thats a real big shame. I was going to buy it from telltale originally but decided on Steam because I have had a good download history with them in the past, if it had been made more clear about the additional content available I probably would have changed my mind. Must say as a long time Monkey Island fan I feel a little cheated.:(
  • edited September 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Ok, but then how will wiiware owners get the journal then. It is the only prize episode 1 wiiware didnt have.

demo
  • edited September 2009
    The only version of Steam I know is any good is the one Peter Gabriel wrote :p
  • edited September 2009
    The only version of Steam I know is any good is the one Peter Gabriel wrote :p

Zing! But for all the flack it gets its pretty good :P

Can I just add I still love what telltale is doing with Tales, just am rather gutted that I can't be part of the treasure hunt on a technicality.
  • edited September 2009
    Boff wrote: »
    Well thats a real big shame. I was going to buy it from telltale originally but decided on Steam because I have had a good download history with them in the past, if it had been made more clear about the additional content available I probably would have changed my mind. Must say as a long time Monkey Island fan I feel a little cheated.:(
    Just download the demo from Telltale to do the treasure hunt. I think that's been mentioned a few times before.
  • edited September 2009
    wallpaper downloaded ok, but every time I try the avatars the file is corrupted ?
  • edited September 2009
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    Just download the demo from Telltale to do the treasure hunt. I think that's been mentioned a few times before.

My apologies then, I just assumed that'd be a limited portion of the treasure hunt. Downloading now.
  • edited September 2009
    Steam? isn't that what a pile of sh.. ahem dung does? Your own fault if you got the game there instead of telltale itself. As for the download: I've downloaded both episodes out til now from telltale and both took less than a minute (note: not the bigger, better sound version). Has telltale done something that ppl trust steam more than them?
  • edited September 2009
    wallpaper downloaded ok, but every time I try the avatars the file is corrupted ?

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10986&highlight=avatars it has solution(which doesnt work at least for me) and the avatars right there for you to download.
  • edited September 2009
    I found a wallpaper and avatars...
  • edited September 2009
    TT said they'd be releasing more maps as the season progressed but we haven't seen any new ones since the journal was released for PC prior to the launch of Spinner Cay. I'm guessing they aren't going to release any more maps for the Wii (because that would mean putting a standalone treasurehunting thing on Wii shop thing or squashing it into a future episode, thus further hampering length and quality). So when will they (if at all) publish the last three, presumably for the PC? I want a free episode without cheating so I can pick up Bone ep2...
  • edited September 2009
    TT said they'd be releasing more maps as the season progressed but we haven't seen any new ones since the journal was released for PC prior to the launch of Spinner Cay. I'm guessing they aren't going to release any more maps for the Wii (because that would mean putting a standalone treasurehunting thing on Wii shop thing or squashing it into a future episode, thus further hampering length and quality). So when will they (if at all) publish the last three, presumably for the PC? I want a free episode without cheating so I can pick up Bone ep2...

I bet they do another journal like thing. I don't think that was for the wii.
  • edited September 2009
    So when will they (if at all) publish the last three, presumably for the PC? I want a free episode without cheating so I can pick up Bone ep2...

To get map 7 and 8, click on these links:
    Map 7: http://www.telltalegames.com/treasurehunt?addmap=7
    Map 8: http://www.telltalegames.com/treasurehunt?addmap=8
  • edited September 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »

I already have those (I've been pushing those links further up the thread). There're 3 more empty slots to the right of map 8.
  • edited September 2009
    Map 7 then. There are only 8 maps
  • edited September 2009
    There's three more, but you can't see them if you have 7 and 8.
  • edited September 2009
    Bobbin wrote: »
    There's three more, but you can't see them if you have 7 and 8.

You mean the Wii ones? I'm not bothered about those. I don't have the Wii and I'm no cheat.
  • edited September 2009
    What I meant by my previous post was if you have the Wii maps, then you can't see the ones past 8, sorry for any confusion.
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the posts on how to get more maps, so now I've completed all four PC maps that are available. I'm really hoping that some new maps come out as well over the series.

However, I feel that now I've worked out how to do the maps there isn't as much challenge as I'd like anymore. Assuming that there are still more maps coming, I was hoping that TT would be able to put some twists into finishing the maps. I've come up with two possible ideas that I think would be a fun addition:
    1. The world goes black at the start of the hunt (ie just after you've used the map next to the wishing well, or altar or whatever this map needs). And then all you can see is Guybrush's eyes on the screen. This would add a challenge to navigating around the screen, but still the essential game is there.
    2. You only have a partial map, but the sequence you've been following has been repeating, so you've just got to work out the next few steps in the map. Say for example (and yes, this is an easy example) the map said the sequence was: bird, bee, monkey, bird, bee, monkey... and then you didn't have the other part of the map. Then you have to work out to follow to bird, bee, monkey to make it to the X.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to put a new challenge to the treasure hunting? I've really enjoyed this extra aspect of the game, but just wish it wasn't quite so repetitive.
  • edited September 2009
    Have mixed up sounds that you have to work out.

e.g. Picture of bee = sound of monkey
    Picture of monkey = sound of pig
    Picture of pig = sound of birds
    Picture of birds = sound of bees

But you'd have to work out the matching up on a trial and error basis as you go... which may just make it more frustrating than challenging.
  • edited September 2009
    I've thought of a really frustrating one: a 20-hop map, with the last junction featuring the same animal 4 times! Trial and error will frustrate the players to the nth degree.
  • edited September 2009
    Molokov wrote: »
    Have mixed up sounds that you have to work out.

e.g. Picture of bee = sound of monkey
    Picture of monkey = sound of pig
    Picture of pig = sound of birds
    Picture of birds = sound of bees

But you'd have to work out the matching up on a trial and error basis as you go... which may just make it more frustrating than challenging.

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you would need to find a key somewhere around. I did always feel like the calendar thing could have been something more. Maybe it could show how to make the links?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.