Monkey Island Treasure Hunting!

David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
edited October 2012 in Tales of Monkey Island
It's live!

Discuss your findings in here.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Hooray for more reasons to keep going back to TMI!
  • edited July 2009
    Found two... am I missing anything to get more maps? Will continue to investigate, but great idea guys!!!
  • edited July 2009
    Derwin wrote: »
    Found two... am I missing anything to get more maps? Will continue to investigate, but great idea guys!!!

Only two available at the moment, more will come throughout the whole season.
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, thanks. I was wondering because they have the whole "Code" section where you can unlock maps... and entering in random faces I have gotten several "Wrong Codes" and at least 3 "Map Piece Unlocked"... but none of them actually unlock a new map, so far.
  • edited July 2009
    Awesome idea, David! Congratulations for the Telltale team on this outstanding project! This fits very nice with some of my suggestions that I have for future Telltale games.

Here's the topic:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10731
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Stay tuned and stay on the look out for more maps.

They may show up in the most un-expected of places.

And increasingly cooler treasures too ;)
  • edited July 2009
    The wallpaper is great.
  • edited July 2009
    What is the reason for spinning the idol to enter a code? doesnt it automatically unlock the map/prize for you once you find 1?
  • edited July 2009
    Hey, cool game. I got the two current maps, and managed to find a couple other idol combinations, but they lead nowhere.

For now. ;)

Great prizes too! :D
  • edited July 2009
    I can't download the wallpapers. The links are all to the same web address, and it doesn't go anywhere.
    edited July 2009
    The idol will come into play down the line.

For right now, the treasure maps are the main thing to focus on.

Everyone should get one map to start and then earn their way to the second map.

And then stay on the look out for other maps!
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    figmentPez wrote: »
    I can't download the wallpapers. The links are all to the same web address, and it doesn't go anywhere.

Yep, a couple of other people have reported this! It's been passed along to the devs.
  • edited July 2009
    I have a few questions. The blog entry says that:
    Guybrush will arrive in the jungles of Flotsam Island, where you can have him start searching for the X.

1) Does this mean that for each episode we will search for the treasure on the same island? Or will the other islands have treasures too?

2) Will this treasure hunt thingy work with the DVD version of the game? Since it's not online, how will you make this happen?

3) Why not add some rewards for the treasure hunters directly in the game? Like having some badges or something that would appear permanently on Guybrush. Or a special piratey hat! Think of the possibilities. I hope you will do something like that in future chapters. It would be a nice reward for players who go the extra mile to uncover all secrets in the game, as opposed to only playing the story puzzles.
  • edited July 2009
    Somebody will probably try to hit me for this, but this feels more like something you'll find in Leisure Suit Larry games than MI ones.

It's cheap, it's not at all challenging and it's utterly predictable. And for some reason you still want to do it :)
  • edited July 2009
    This is pretty cool, thanks Telltale!
  • edited July 2009
    Do we all get the same prizes? (i got a Voodoo Lady wallpaper and avatars/icons of ToMI)

It says somewhere "Exclusive collector items, free games and discount coupons" so i guess that these prizes will be random?

figmentPez wrote: »

I had this problem after solving the first map but without solving the second map. After the second map, i was able to download the two prizes.
  • edited July 2009
    Somebody will probably try to hit me for this, but this feels more like something you'll find in Leisure Suit Larry games than MI ones.

It's cheap, it's not at all challenging and it's utterly predictable. And for some reason you still want to do it :)

I'm guessing due to the nature of later prizes that this will start to become more and more difficult in one way or another. The maps will probably get harder to find and follow.

And Ignatius we all got the same prizes so far.
  • edited July 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Do we all get the same prizes? (i got a Voodoo Lady wallpaper and avatars/icons of ToMI)

It says somewhere "Exclusive collector items, free games and discount coupons" so i guess that these prizes will be random?

I had this problem after solving the first map but without solving the second map. After the second map, i was able to download the two prizes.

I got the sam prizes as you?
    edited July 2009
    You should expect the treasure hunting to get more un-predictable as time goes on too ;) prizes may vary from person to person ... and so on.

Just getting started ...
  • edited July 2009
    What is this strange thing my game keeps opening... the "in-ter-net"?

What sort of hell hole is this anyways. :D

Awesome idea guys, although I'm sure some will complain about the overuse of the treasure hunting mini-game... Personally i think its fun cause I've memorized the layout of the jungle by now.

Hmm, maybe I could make a map of how all the different jungle sections relate and connect to one another. (make it easier to navigate and find the landmarks) Should only take about 20 min in illustrator.
  • edited July 2009
    You should update the launcher so that you can "launch game again" after you've quit, without closing the launcher and opening it again... If we're to be expected to keep jumping in and out of the game.
  • edited July 2009
    This is awesome stuff. How the Treasure Hunt appeared in the game menu without an update still baffles me. Everything must have been in-game to begin with, and a switch was simply flipped somewhere to turn it on. Powerful switch, that.

Now, back to the treasure hunt.
  • edited July 2009
    Aw, how can I replay the treasure hunts... when I click the maps now I just get the code screen.
  • edited July 2009
    Can you only do two maps a day?
  • edited July 2009
    Excellent. Love the new avatar

<
  • edited July 2009
    Where can I find the 3rd map???
  • edited July 2009
    A third map piece/prize appeared on my page for a discount code (I don't know how, as I didn't complete a quest in-game for it), but the discount code is blank. I may have broken something... The prize is labeled G.
  • edited July 2009
    Mike Haley wrote: »
    A third map piece/prize appeared on my page for a discount code (I don't know how, as I didn't complete a quest in-game for it), but the discount code is blank. I may have broken something... The prize is labeled G.

Oh no! I was playing around with the code idol and I got the same map you did finished by accident!

I hope I haven't missed out on an in-game puzzle for it. :( Would be nice if that map would reset so the game wasn't messed up.
  • edited July 2009
    my avatar file wont download properly. I get the unexpected end of archive error.
  • edited July 2009
    Marty wrote: »
    my avatar file wont download properly. I get the unexpected end of archive error.

Use a download manager...like Internet Download Manager.
  • xtrmntrxtrmntr Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Mike Haley wrote: »

Whoa! That's weird... :confused: Did you play around with the Tiki code thing at all before it appeared?
  • edited July 2009
    xtrmntr wrote: »
    Whoa! That's weird... :confused: Did you play around with the Tiki code thing at all before it appeared?
    Actually, that was the first thing that I tried when I discovered the page (before I even opened up the game). It said "Unlocked Map Piece," but I figured that it was just the first or second map, as nothing else was available. Then, when I went into the game, there was a completed map in my inventory. I went back to the page, and there it was. It has a mask icon, and is situated on the second page.

xtrmntr... that's some name. Can I just call you Bob?
  • edited July 2009
    For anyone wanting help finding the landmarks, I made a map showing all the nodes and where they lead to... (it does NOT include the treasure hunt solutions)

Just be warned that its an HD image over 3MB in size so it can be used as a wallpaper, or printed at high reolution.

Da Map
  • edited July 2009
    I confess, I also played around with the code wheel and now have a third map as well as unlocking the first and second in an unsportsmanlike way... I can't play TMI on this old laptop and I get so tempted!

Does this mean I can't do it the proper way and pretend this never happened D:
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah I mis-entered the one code on the site and now its in my game inventory like I found it...
  • xtrmntrxtrmntr Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Hey everybody, thanks for letting us know! (And rest assured, a *real* coupon code will appear on that prize page shortly... =) We'll be rolling out new maps & prizes throughout the season & so it's good to know that even though *this* one snuck out a little early, the system we've put in place to manage the rest of the releases seems to be working properly. Good luck finding the rest of the maps!
  • edited July 2009
    xtrmntr wrote: »
    Hey everybody, thanks for letting us know! (And rest assured, a *real* coupon code will appear on that prize page shortly... =) We'll be rolling out new maps & prizes throughout the season & so it's good to know that even though *this* one snuck out a little early, the system we've put in place to manage the rest of the releases seems to be working properly. Good luck finding the rest of the maps!

Thanks, man. Sorry about the trouble. :)
  • edited July 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    You should update the launcher so that you can "launch game again" after you've quit, without closing the launcher and opening it again... If we're to be expected to keep jumping in and out of the game.

I would also really like that feature!

Also somehow my treasures don't carry over to the website automatically, I always have to enter the code over the Tiki, even when I choose "open Telltale page now" ingame...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Hitman wrote: »
    1) Does this mean that for each episode we will search for the treasure on the same island? Or will the other islands have treasures too?

The treasure hunting mechanic is only in Launch of the Screaming Narwhal... at least for now. I'm not sure of future plans, but I don't be surprised if all of the treasure hunting content continues to appear there.
    2) Will this treasure hunt thingy work with the DVD version of the game? Since it's not online, how will you make this happen?
    I think this is a "running during the main run of the season only" type deal.
    3) Why not add some rewards for the treasure hunters directly in the game? Like having some badges or something that would appear permanently on Guybrush. Or a special piratey hat! Think of the possibilities. I hope you will do something like that in future chapters. It would be a nice reward for players who go the extra mile to uncover all secrets in the game, as opposed to only playing the story puzzles.
    Definitely a cool idea -- sounds like the next iteration of what we did in Sam & Max Season Two with the DeSoto upgrades (have you checked that out?). Maybe for a future series we can combine all of this tech and these ideas for more awesomeness!
  • edited July 2009
    Nice new feature, great for adding more play time into Chapter 1 whilst also earning some goodies. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.