Monkey Island Treasure Hunting!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    How do you find the third map? I inputted the second tiki god and it said I had unlocked a new map, but it doesn't show up in the game or online. Is there another step for the third one?
  • edited July 2009
    Also, when I input the tiki god code the little dialog box that pops up disappears really quickly. I can't read it all at one go.
  • edited July 2009
    Heh, so you removed my third map, eh? I guess it's okay, since it didn't lead to anything, but still:p
  • edited July 2009
    Is the third map available yet?
  • edited July 2009
    It was available as nr. 7 on the list for a couple of hours, at least for me. But it isn't there anymore now. Got it by fiddling around with the tiki wheels, I guess. So no nr. 3 map yet as far as I know.
  • edited July 2009
    Do you actually have to fiddle with the idols? Or is that just for the fun of it? Found both Xs, looking forward for the third map.
  • edited July 2009
    Is anyone else getting "Unexpected End of Archive" when downloading the Avatars? I tried yesterday and just thought it was the servers but tried again today and the download still ends way too fast and the archive only contains av_elaine.png with that error message.
  • edited July 2009
    When playing the game, I found myself thinking "This is it?" Glad to see the posts from Telltale in here showing that this is more a proof of concept, and that this is going to get to be far more interesting! ;)
  • edited July 2009
    I hope these hunts get harder later on. If there's going to be an IRL prize thingy (and I'm really hoping there is), they've got to ramp up the difficulty to weed out the pirate poseurs. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Shouldn't we get some kind of schedule for this? I have no idea when the next map is coming out and I have the gold fever.
  • edited July 2009
    Spadge wrote: »
    Shouldn't we get some kind of schedule for this? I have no idea when the next map is coming out and I have the gold fever.
    same goes for me.

but its a really good idea with those treasure huntings, telltale really put a lot of love in their games and in the community...ok, that sounds wrong but you know what i mean!
  • edited July 2009
    I am sure the maps will get harder as we go on when you have prizes like free and discounted games and other things no doubt.
  • edited July 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting "Unexpected End of Archive" when downloading the Avatars? I tried yesterday and just thought it was the servers but tried again today and the download still ends way too fast and the archive only contains av_elaine.png with that error message.

I get something very similar to that. I wish the Telltale team would do something about it, because while it works for some people, clearly its having trouble with other computers. And it doesn't make a difference what type of unzipping tool I use. :( And to think, I could have an actual avatar, by now. . .

EDIT: I just tried to open it on another computer and found that it said it was incomplete or corrupted there, as well. Which leads me to believe its not the computer but some bug within the treasure hunting system itself, which may strike random victims.

Some sort of acknowledgement of the problem and assurance it would be fixed from the TT team would be nice . . . :confused:
  • edited July 2009

I'm getting this weird thing where it seems to download ok, but when i open the zip file there's just a file called 'avatars'.
    What am I sposed to do with this? Is it what everyone else got in their zips?

Other than that, brillaint job Telltale. This has to be the coolest idea I've heard in a long time :D

Also, any chance we could get a copy of the wallpaper without the Voodoo Lady in it? If thats not too hard...
  • edited July 2009
    Apple24 wrote: »
    Other than that, brillaint job Telltale. This has to be the coolest idea I've heard in a long time :D

Yeah!! This is the difference between passion and "Let's do something for money".
    I kind of like the unexpected map-scheduel. It feels like we're real pirates... the joy of discovering another map (without knowing in advance when you will get it) makes it exciting! :D

Although, it would be cool if they were a little bit harder. Even with riddles and such.
    i.e. Go to the house that cannot tell the way the winds blow anymore. - Voodoo Lady's Shack.
  • edited July 2009
    mintfresh wrote: »
    Also, the second time I played the game, the green stuff coming of Guybrush had a big green square in it occasionally, anyone had that?

Yeah! I remember that was happening to some players in the main game but it didn't happen to me until I started treasure hunting.
  • edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    I think this is a "running during the main run of the season only" type deal.

so if i want to wait for all the episodes to be released before playing i'll miss this in the whole?
  • edited July 2009
    Telltale, This is must be the most epic thing you've done.

EVER
  • edited July 2009

Yes same for me the file seems corrupt.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Someone asked if WiiWare customers will have to wait until the Wii version releases to hunt ... well, you all can get started in the free demo version of the PC game right now if you're keen to get started.
  • edited July 2009
    joeldee wrote: »
    Someone asked if WiiWare customers will have to wait until the Wii version releases to hunt ... well, you all can get started in the free demo version of the PC game right now if you're keen to get started.

Yes, but will it still at least be on the wiiware version.
  • edited July 2009
    The "avatars.zip" file is corrupt for me too. I also only get the 2 maps, so I guess the third wasn't supposed to be there!
  • edited July 2009
    Pretty easy to complete, but still pretty fun. I definitely enjoy these puzzle based things more than those racing segments from Sam & Max (which are fun until they become frustratingly hard).

The unlockables are pretty cool, but I'd definitely love to see different outfits we could unlock for Guybrush. Being able to use his MI1 and MI2 looks would be super awesome. :)
  • edited July 2009
    The unlockables are pretty cool, but I'd definitely love to see different outfits we could unlock for Guybrush. Being able to use his MI1 and MI2 looks would be super awesome. :)

Brilliant idea! Do this Telltale!
  • edited July 2009
    PinkPig wrote: »
    The "avatars.zip" file is corrupt for me too. I also only get the 2 maps, so I guess the third wasn't supposed to be there!

Techy bit:

It's a ZIP file stuffed inside the GZIP format. Possibly Telltale's webserver is trying to compress it (pointless, it's already compressed) but not declaring it as compressed with the appropriate HTTP header, so the browser doesn't remove the GZIP wrapper.

Rename it as avatars.zip.gz and some tools will have a better chance with it. I found 7-zip could understand it.
  • edited July 2009
    I tried launching the game today for the first time since I completed it a week or two back and it just comes up with an error message :"Telltale Games has encountered a problem" etc etc... I re-downloaded the game to see if this helped but still the same problem. Any suggestions?
  • edited July 2009
    kruador wrote: »
    Techy bit:

It's a ZIP file stuffed inside the GZIP format. Possibly Telltale's webserver is trying to compress it (pointless, it's already compressed) but not declaring it as compressed with the appropriate HTTP header, so the browser doesn't remove the GZIP wrapper.

Rename it as avatars.zip.gz and some tools will have a better chance with it. I found 7-zip could understand it.

Awesome, will do that! (Still a bug though)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Fulvio75 wrote: »
    so if i want to wait for all the episodes to be released before playing i'll miss this in the whole?

Yep. If you wait until Star Wars comes out on DVD, you can no longer go to Taco Bell and get a cup with a picture of Yoda on it which might let you win a free can of Pepsi, too. In other words, in the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a big deal if you miss the treasure hunt. It's a fun thing to do during the wait between episodes, to get psyched up, etc, and you might win something, but it's as far from an essential piece of the game as you can get.
  • edited July 2009
    Will the fact that I live in europe affect my chance of winning prizes? The tresure hunters from the states will probaly discover the maps before me, so do I have to stay up alle night if I want to win a cool prize too?

( btw, sorry for the poor english)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    I think you'll be fine regardless of where you live!
  • edited July 2009
    Did anyone say prices?
  • edited July 2009
    I got the two prizes, and am lovin' the wallpaper. The four tarot cards just scream chapter-centric clues. :p

[Disease refers to C2, Scientist to C3, Victim to C4 and Transformation for C5 methinks]
  • edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Yep. If you wait until Star Wars comes out on DVD, you can no longer go to Taco Bell and get a cup with a picture of Yoda on it which might let you win a free can of Pepsi, too. In other words, in the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a big deal if you miss the treasure hunt. It's a fun thing to do during the wait between episodes, to get psyched up, etc, and you might win something, but it's as far from an essential piece of the game as you can get.

but still, I wont miss it if I wait to treasure hunt on the wiiware version right?
  • edited July 2009
    sidoch wrote: »
    Will the fact that I live in europe affect my chance of winning prizes? The tresure hunters from the states will probaly discover the maps before me, so do I have to stay up alle night if I want to win a cool prize too?

( btw, sorry for the poor english)

It's the same time in States and here in Europe. Just that it's called 8 AM in States and 4 PM here ; )
  • edited July 2009
    Ha, how cool is this?!

I'm curious how this treasure hunt will play out. All this Monkey Island stuff going on right now after years of nothing...ness. I'm in geek-heaven :)
  • edited July 2009
    LewisKerr wrote: »
    I tried launching the game today for the first time since I completed it a week or two back and it just comes up with an error message :"Telltale Games has encountered a problem" etc etc... I re-downloaded the game to see if this helped but still the same problem. Any suggestions?

Hey, you wouldn't by some freaky happenstance happen to be using a 64-bit operating system, would you?
  • edited July 2009
    This is an Awesome addition that no one was expecting. Love the wallpaper and other prize.

As was stated earlier, it would be nice to see some really difficult ones since these were super simple. Maybe one even more complex then the second map in the game?

Either way, AWESOME!

Continuing to be my Heroes :D
  • edited July 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    but still, I wont miss it if I wait to treasure hunt on the wiiware version right?

Most of the stuff is wallpapers and icons, etc that wouldn't be useful on the Wii. And again, if we can win discounts and so forth, I imagine they'll only be for use on the Telltale store.

So I wouldn't think the Wii version will have this, I guess it could link your Wii account to the website.. but that seems like more effort than it's worth. It is pretty fun to solve these little puzzles, but you're not really missing much. They're very similar to one of the puzzles in the game, and took less than two minutes each.
  • edited July 2009
    I got the two prizes, and am lovin' the wallpaper. The four tarot cards just scream chapter-centric clues. :p

[Disease refers to C2, Scientist to C3, Victim to C4 and Transformation for C5 methinks]
    Scientist obviously refers to DeSinge, with Disease referring to the Pox. Transformation probably refers to LeChuck's form, and Victim...perhaps Elaine? Perhaps the pirates on Flotsam? Not completely sure. But I think they mostly refer to Chapter 1 or the series as a whole, rather than pertaining to specific chapters.
  • edited July 2009
    - Victim - looks like Julius Cesar
    - Scientist - Khali? Some other hindu god?
    - Transformation - reminds LeChuck
    - Disease - no idea...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.