Monkey Island Treasure Hunting!

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I want to use the 50% to single episode coupon with Bone Out of Boneville (CD version), but it seems I can't. I can use it with the download only, though, but I do want the CD...
  • edited August 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    confirmed, also
    Maps 3-6 unlocked via wiiware version.

Thanks.
    I think we should use this topic to keep trace of all "legal" maps released using bold for any interesting update.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks.
    I think we should use this topic to keep trace of all "legal" maps released using bold for any interesting update.

Well they are all legal...
    I'm assuming that you meant active
  • edited August 2009
    Does anyone know how long these codes will be valid? 50% off Season 3 of Sam and Max would be incredibly sweet.
  • edited August 2009
    On a side note... I think it would be cool if they gave a free episode away as a prize (but limit it somehow... like giving a random episode away or make it so that you can only redeem it on the 1st episode of any season.). That would be awesome.
    what would be the point of that, we already paid for the whole game
  • edited August 2009
    He means a free episode from any other Telltale series.
  • edited August 2009
    He means a free episode from any other Telltale series.

Which should be obvious by the phrase "like giving a random episode away or make it so that you can only redeem it on the 1st episode of any season.".
  • edited August 2009
    Lets not be rude here.

I'm wondering if they will do this with later episodes of MI. It would be good, though personally I would like something different for each episode.

And how long will the treasure hunting stay active I wonder? Forever?
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2009
    Episode 2:
    Fishing Minigame: Collect spinners and avoid leaches
    ermm, nope:
    Siege Game: Send catapults and battering rams and capture Spinner City
    wrong again:
    Treasure hunt part Deux: Find hidden treasure by following leads given by game characters and game devs/TT staff hidden in the website.
    Probably not. I give up, surprise me TT!
  • edited August 2009
    Does anyone know how long these codes will be valid? 50% off Season 3 of Sam and Max would be incredibly sweet.
    As they are not even valid for ToMI, I strongly doubt that they will be valid for any new game released in the future.
  • edited August 2009
    SANAFABICH wrote: »
    what would be the point of that, we already paid for the whole game
    Well, I have not paid for the whole game. I'm using the demo to hunt for treasures, so I would like to "dig out" a free ToMI episode. - However, as this game seems to be such a huge fan base, I doubt that they will do this. (The 50%-off coupon is also not valid for ToMI.)
  • edited August 2009
    i really hope the codes will be valid when the next series comes out, since i got everything else already, except bone and that's only a half season at best.

from my marketing experience...and that is none, but i'll just pretend i have some...telltale could be aiming for two things with the treasure hunting codes:

the first would be to convince their new costumers, that got attracted by monkey island, to buy some of the other products. this is very likely, since once a game has earned it's production costs and it is distributed digitally, you make profit regardless how much the customer pays. well, at least roughly.

the other would be to ensure, that the tomi-customers become regular telltale customers and come back for the next games. however, since their games are good, won't customers come back anyway?

@nightsurfer: if you want to quote several posts, you can use the "+"-icon next to the "quote"-button. that way you don't have to create several posts.
  • edited August 2009
    wisp wrote: »
    i really hope the codes will be valid when the next series comes out, since i got everything else already, except bone and that's only a half season at best.

from my marketing experience...and that is none, but i'll just pretend i have some...telltale could be aiming for two things with the treasure hunting codes:

the first would be to convince their new costumers, that got attracted by monkey island, to buy some of the other products. this is very likely, since once a game has earned it's production costs and it is distributed digitally, you make profit regardless how much the customer pays. well, at least roughly.

the other would be to ensure, that the tomi-customers become regular telltale customers and come back for the next games. however, since their games are good, won't customers come back anyway?

@nightsurfer: if you want to quote several posts, you can use the "+"-icon next to the "quote"-button. that way you don't have to create several posts.
    The second point is, obviously, to have people introduce others to Telltale through discount codes. I know I've given free episodes and discounts to friends simply because I own everything in Tellltale's catalog(with the exception of console ports and the CSI games).
  • edited August 2009
    Even i found 2 maps... are there many more to be found out... this is very exciting, hope this excitement carries on and the unpredictability prevails. Thanks
  • edited August 2009
    uday1583 wrote: »
    Even i found 2 maps... are there many more to be found out... this is very exciting, hope this excitement carries on and the unpredictability prevails. Thanks

Maps 3 to 6 is locked into the WiiWare version of LotSN, map 7 was in the Telltale Interpreter, and map 8 is out in the wild, although it leads nowhere yet.
  • edited August 2009
    I could see them becoming invalid before the next seasons are released, they're obviously intended to make new players try out the other games.. Those of us who already own pretty much everything are likely to buy the next season of Sam & Max or whatever, right off the bat anyway, so I wouldn't blame them if it doesn't work.

It is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the long term fans though, as it basically makes those rewards useless.
  • edited August 2009
    The prize for Haighno exists :D :D :D
  • edited August 2009
    Okay I just could claim my price for Map 8 ist a

Caribbean Journal....Same with you guy?
  • edited August 2009
    It won't download for me. D:

EDIT: ...and as soon as I complain it works.
  • edited August 2009
    What does it do?
  • edited August 2009
    What does it do?

Ohh..... absolutely nothing
  • edited August 2009
    It is just a bunch of hints as to what occurs in Chapter Two. Speculation... BEGIN!!!
  • edited August 2009
    It is just a bunch of hints as to what occurs in Chapter Two. Speculation... BEGIN!!!

Should have been one of the first prizes if you ask me.
  • edited August 2009
    Oh, pretty interesting.
  • edited August 2009
    From support forum regarding coupons:
    David E wrote: »
    Those are good until December 31, 2009.
  • edited August 2009
    From support forum regarding coupons:

oooooh! Yay! Whoo! Oooo! Death! Ahhh!

Sorry. had a hugh bliss moment there.
  • edited August 2009
    I'll laugh when the next series releases January 1st, 2010.
  • edited August 2009
    yeah, but now you know. so, if another game comes out this year, you can use the coupons...and if not, you can at least buy some last minute xmas gifts.

btw, i like the journal thingy...actually, i thought the whole treasure hunting game would provide such prizes only...or mostly. of course i can live with the store coupons as well.
  • edited August 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    The prize for Haighno exists :D :D :D

Where have all the monkeys gone?

Beautiful prize! At last some real exclusive goodies!
  • edited August 2009
    yep
  • edited August 2009
    Hmm the thing with the barrell and the "mouth" look interesting. Mentions of fools gold. Very curious...
  • edited August 2009
    Well they are all legal...
    I'm assuming that you meant active

Of course;)
  • edited August 2009
    The journal is really cool!

"Where have all the monkeys gone" is an obvious reference to the 13 of Montevideo that LeChuck was collecting.

I see nothing interesting in the latin around the sponge.

Beyond that, um. Pretty pictures! I like the pretty pictures.
  • edited August 2009
    Is there a fourth map with an official price available now?
  • edited August 2009
    Does the journal belong to Coronado? All evidence points to that.
    Fool's gold is pyrite. Does that have any connections with the Pyrite Parrot? How do you make pyrite? Why would Coronado need fake gold?
    The giant fish might be the Leviathan. It has a booty chest as a lure, so it might be feeding with greedy pirates or something.
    Does the missing monkeys reffer to EMI? Or is it connected to the Monkeys of Montevideo?
    The Barrel Submarine looks interesting. Is the "Mouth" an artifact that allows a person to breathe underwater? Is it the fish shown on the last page? Then what are the turtle and the seahorse for? I must check Vaycaylian carvings scattered on Flotsam for more clues.

Damn, I speculate too much.
  • edited August 2009
    One of the monkeys looks a lot like he's wearing Stan's hat!
  • edited August 2009
    Since the whole treasure hunting thing started, I've been keeping track of the tiki codes - looks as though it's tying up now (to me anyway) so I figured I'd post what I've got:
    I've stored everything in an image of the codes that have map numbers and names attached. The 8 codes that have names will reveal maps. The rest of the codes may remove "extra slots" so I wouldn't recommend using them unless telltale adds in more maps, in which case I'll probably update the image.
  • edited August 2009
    Is there a forth map for the PC version yet, if so how do i get it? (i still just have 1,2 and 7)
  • edited August 2009
    Spadge wrote: »
    Does the journal belong to Coronado? All evidence points to that.
    I'm certain of it. It's about the sponge that he apparently started to obsess over, and I'm sure that "She will thank me for this" refers to the Voodoo lady.
    Fool's gold is pyrite. Does that have any connections with the Pyrite Parrot? How do you make pyrite? Why would Coronado need fake gold?
    The giant fish might be the Leviathan. It has a booty chest as a lure, so it might be feeding with greedy pirates or something.
    I took it less literal. "Fool's Gold! I'll make my own!" seemed to me that he needed some device, but he decided the one he found was fake or didn't work. So, he decided to make his own substitute. "Fool's gold", in this case would just refer to something that doesn't have the value you thought it did.
    Does the missing monkeys reffer to EMI? Or is it connected to the Monkeys of Montevideo?
    Montevideo seems like the best bet, considering those have a reason to be gone(LeChuck is stealing them).
  • edited August 2009
    Montevideo seems like the best bet, considering those have a reason to be gone(LeChuck is stealing them).

Come to think of it he stole 13 monkeys. If I remember correctly in EMI all the monkeys were summoned to Monkey Island, so it seemed like a larger event. Plus I have a feeling the entry is pretty old, because it's on the first two pages of the journal. But again, I'm speculating.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.