Evaluating Character Designs

Comments

• edited February 2017

Face still looks the same, really haggard. Like young and old at the same time.

Great, now I see it. Though Becca always looked a little odd to begin with, especially in comparison with the other girls.

Would probably look better if it was in yellow or red/pink, though.

Agreed.

Louche posted: »

Is she more "hippy"? Weird. Face still looks the same, really haggard. Like young and old at the same time. Have to admit, she looks cute in that blouse. Would probably look better if it was in yellow or red/pink, though.

• edited February 2017

You're missing out on that AMA now.

DabigRG posted: »

Why couldn't the Cabin Group change clothes in general?

• ...That what?

TheMPerson posted: »

You're missing out on that AMA now.

• You know... Job's AMA. "Staff member answers the questions."

...That what?

• Okay, I'll check it out now.

TheMPerson posted: »

You know... Job's AMA. "Staff member answers the questions."

• edited February 2017

She looks odd because she's got white girl facial features but with darker ethnic skin and eyebrows.

Could be half-native or something

Face still looks the same, really haggard. Like young and old at the same time. Great, now I see it. Though Becca always looked a li

• True, aside from the darker skin thing because I'm pretty sure she(and Shel)'s a little whiter than say, Kenny. There's also the fact that she's not that feminine designwise and could pass for a boy if you changed the outfit.

She looks odd because she's got white girl facial features but with darker ethnic skin and eyebrows. Could be half-native or something

• edited February 2017

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Kenny. He did look pretty tanned in concept art, but not in the game itself. Just seems to be the lighting that makes him look like that, if at all.

As for least feminine, I would have said Jane or season 2 Clem, really. Even Molly, remove the damn hairclip and reduce the already barely-there bust and she could pass for a sissy boy. She doesn't even have any curves, unlike Jane.

In any case, I love the walking dead games for not making every girl look like some generic supermodel.

True, aside from the darker skin thing because I'm pretty sure she(and Shel)'s a little whiter than say, Kenny. There's also the fact that she's not that feminine designwise and could pass for a boy if you changed the outfit.

• edited February 2017

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Kenny. He did look pretty tanned in concept art, but not in the game itself. Just seems to be the lighting that makes him look like that, if at all.

True. Then again, the other whites tended to look pale grey,(namely Luke and Jane) in comparison to him.

As for least feminine, I would have said Jane or season 2 Clem, really.

Hence why I specified designwise, as in basic appearance and proportions. Granted, I'm not completely sure how old Becca supposed to be beyond "teenager," but she still doesn't really fit certain expectations compared to Season2!Clementine and especially Jane(not that that's hard). Her facial structure and mouth in particular gives her this almost androgenous look is what I'm primarily referring to.

Even Molly, remove the damn hairclip and reduce the already barely-there bust and she could pass for a sissy boy.

You know, looking at her up close, I'm inclined to agree. Honestly, Season 1's females always looked weird to me at first, with even Carley falling into that due to her manchin. I think Jolene probably has remnants of the most normal face out of all of them(except Clementine, obviously).

She doesn't even have any curves, unlike Jane.

Yeah, Molly's skinniness was always something that stood out the most to me, to the point I that I always thought she was a teenager.

In any case, I love the walking dead games for not making every girl look like some generic supermodel.

Eh, agreed. Still, it just makes Jane's somewhat nonstandard design all the more obvious since all she's missing is longer hair. Not to mention it just adds to her overall "better than than whoever happens to be onscreen at the moment" appeal, another tally on the list.

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Kenny. He did look pretty tanned in concept art, but not in the game itself. Just seems to be the light

• edited February 2017

Well, with her jacket on, I'm not too sure you can tell. And in season 2, Becca just looks plain awkward because I think they gave her a brand new body.
    I don't think Clem looks much more feminine. She just wears more form fitting clothing. And of course pigtails will make anything look girlish. If you cut those off, they change everything.

Christa also looked super awkward, they fixed her for season 2 though. I have to disagree with you on Carley, I thought she and Lily were pretty attractive.

Well Jane tends to have muck on her face. But yeah, I know what you mean. I played the game again in higher quality and noticed how pretty her face actually was. Not distractingly so, but she could probably stand to look a bit more rugged. It almost looks like she does makeup on her lips and eyes.

I'm not sure what you're seeing with Kenny. He did look pretty tanned in concept art, but not in the game itself. Just seems to be the light

• Well, with her jacket on, I'm not too sure you can tell. And in season 2, Becca just looks plain awkward because I think they gave her a brand new body.

True. Then again, teenagers not named Ben tended to look, like, 12 in the previous artstyle.

I don't think Clem looks much more feminine. She just wears more form fitting clothing. And of course pigtails will make anything look girlish. If you cut those off, they change everything.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Of course, it kinda makes her looks akward next to Sarah--especially in the new "artstyle."

Christa also looked super awkward, they fixed her for season 2 though.

Yeah, at the cost of somehow making her uglier at first. But her most recent design doesn't look too bad.

I have to disagree with you on Carley, I thought she and Lily were pretty attractive.

Well, I've since gotten used to it, even if Season2 just has prettier women. But Lilly is generally agreed upon to be a butter face.

Well Jane tends to have muck on her face. But yeah, I know what you mean. I played the game again in higher quality and noticed how pretty her face actually was. Not distractingly so, but she could probably stand to look a bit more rugged.

That just adds to it for some. Still, it kinda rubs me the wrong way given how self-righteous she comes off.

It almost looks like she does makeup on her lips and eyes.

Apparently, she does.

Well, with her jacket on, I'm not too sure you can tell. And in season 2, Becca just looks plain awkward because I think they gave her a bra

• True. Then again, teenagers not named Ben tended to look, like, 12 in the previous artstyle.

What? Who are you even talking about? Travis? Molly?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Of course, it kinda makes her looks akward next to Sarah--especially in the new "artstyle."

Not really sure what you're getting at. Not every girl should look pretty and dainty.

But Lilly is generally agreed upon to be a butter face.

You take that back.
    enter image description here

Still, it kinda rubs me the wrong way given how self-righteous she comes off.

Well if you made it as long as she did on her own... plus she has a massive chip on her shoulder. She's afraid of being with people but is also lonely. So she's a bit volatile.

Well, with her jacket on, I'm not too sure you can tell. And in season 2, Becca just looks plain awkward because I think they gave her a bra

• edited February 2017

What? Who are you even talking about? Travis? Molly?

Well, Molly apparently in her 20s but I like how you name the one likely exception. I was referring to how Becca, Sarah, and Arvo proportion-wise look considering their age. Arvo at least has the height when standing up straight and Michelle fits the bill better despite being a reused model, likely due to her colorscheme.

Not really sure what you're getting at. Not every girl should look pretty and dainty.

I was referring to the awkwardness of Clementine somehow being more shapely than the friend who's stated to be 4 years older than her. And for the record, I think Sarah's cute enough, thank you.

You take that back.

...Did you purposely recolor that image so that she looks like a Simpsons character or something? Cuz if so, good pun! :smile:
    Still, its clear wear she gets her good looks from.

Well if you made it as long as she did on her own... plus she has a massive chip on her shoulder. She's afraid of being with people but is also lonely. So she's a bit volatile.

...Whatever.
    (And that's not me dismissing your comment because I hate Jane; that's me genuinely not knowing how to respond to that. :lol:)

True. Then again, teenagers not named Ben tended to look, like, 12 in the previous artstyle. What? Who are you even talking about? T

• Well, Molly apparently in her 20s but I like how you name the one likely exception. I was referring to how Becca, Sarah, and Arvo proportion-wise look considering their age. Arvo at least has the height when standing up straight and Michelle fits the bill better despite being a reused model, likely due to her colorscheme.

I was under the impression you were talking about season 1 only. Yeah, Arvo does look pretty young, but his age is up in the air. He could be anywhere from 14 to 25, seriously. Becca and Michelle are also in a bit of leeway, they could be 13-16. As for Michelle being a reused model, yeah that sounds familiar. Who is she reused from again?

I was referring to the awkwardness of Clementine somehow being more shapely than the friend who's stated to be 4 years older than her. And for the record, I think Sarah's cute enough, thank you.

It does help to visually distinguish who's the more emotionally mature of the two.
    Also Sarah looked cuter in the concept art, not so much the game. enter image description here Something didn't quite translate.

Still, its clear wear she gets her good looks from.

Oh yeah. enter image description here

What? Who are you even talking about? Travis? Molly? Well, Molly apparently in her 20s but I like how you name the one likely except

• Yeah, Arvo does look pretty young, but his age is up in the air. He could be anywhere from 14 to 25, seriously. Becca and Michelle are also in a bit of leeway, they could be 13-16.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Arvo and Michelle in particular are in their late teens, making them as old as 19; meanwhile, Becca is assumed to be 15 as well as Sarah.

As for Michelle being a reused model, yeah that sounds familiar. Who is she reused from again?

I asked this general question back in December and got this answer:

@BettertoSleep: The first post of this thread has all you need!
    @DabigRG:Thanks!
    Ben, Larry, Marcus
    Omid, Russell
    Luke, Vitali, Randy, Lowell
    Nick, Mike, Ralph,
    Matthew, Omid, Johnny, Arvo, Hank
    Kenny, Reggie
    The heck?
    Sarah, Michelle

So, basically
    enter image description here + enter image description here = enter image description here

It does help to visually distinguish who's the more emotionally mature of the two.

I guess; after all, it'd probably be more awkward if Sarah was waiting for Clementine to make "George" go away while gainaxing all over the place. And she is supposed to be Clementine's Shadow much like Kenny was Lee's, so I guess making her seem less cute is not only age appropriate but kinda necessary.

Also Sarah looked cuter in the concept art, not so much the game. enter image description here Something didn't quite translate.

You get cuter out of that? Cause those concept pieces are kinda uncanny, if I'm being honest. It doesn't help that she almost looks like Arvo's shorter twin in a wig there.
    Also, I love how Carlos's are is clipping through hers--in artwork!

Well, Molly apparently in her 20s but I like how you name the one likely exception. I was referring to how Becca, Sarah, and Arvo proportion

Yeah, Arvo does look pretty young, but his age is up in the air. He could be anywhere from 14 to 25, seriously. Becca and Michelle are also

• Fashion is as dead as Lee, in the Walking Dead universe.

Gonna post this here because why not.

• I loved kennys season 2 design I hate James jacket zipped up

• edited February 2017

Yeah I do think so.
    It's uncanny because they're trying to make the 2d art look look 3d and it's just playing tricks on your mind.
    Gotta say, I would die to see some 2d concept art of Becca or Shel.

Yeah, Arvo does look pretty young, but his age is up in the air. He could be anywhere from 14 to 25, seriously. Becca and Michelle are also

• Yeah I do think so. It's uncanny because they're trying to make the 2d art look look 3d and it's just playing tricks on your mind.

Eh, to each their own. But true: Nick's smile comes to mind.

Gotta say, I would die to see some 2d concept art of Becca or Shel.

Agreed.

Yeah I do think so. It's uncanny because they're trying to make the 2d art look look 3d and it's just playing tricks on your mind. Gotta say, I would die to see some 2d concept art of Becca or Shel.

• It's not like they never looked strange in the game itself. Notice they practically gave Nick glowing eyes under the shadow from his hat in the first episode?

Yeah I do think so. It's uncanny because they're trying to make the 2d art look look 3d and it's just playing tricks on your mind. E

• ...Did they? Cause that almost sounds like a stylistic animation choice.

It's not like they never looked strange in the game itself. Notice they practically gave Nick glowing eyes under the shadow from his hat in the first episode?

• edited February 2017

Well, yeah. I guess it's not the same. But yeah, when Clem is having dinner with Luke, Nick's eyes are positively glowing.

...Did they? Cause that almost sounds like a stylistic animation choice.

• Is this in All that Remains or A House Divided?

Well, yeah. I guess it's not the same. But yeah, when Clem is having dinner with Luke, Nick's eyes are positively glowing.

• edited February 2017

all that remains.

edit: dear GOD, what did you do to your avatar? what is that?!

Is this in All that Remains or A House Divided?

• all that remains.

Hmmm...I can sorta see why you'd say that. Really, Nick has a brighter eye color than most characters and the highlights definitely make them seem glow in the dark at times.

dear GOD, what did you do to your avatar? what is that?!

Its a hilarious pic of Arvo someone posted in my questions thread a while ago.

all that remains. edit: dear GOD, what did you do to your avatar? what is that?!

• I still wonder why Molly and Jane look like sisters. Like... Really. Really. Maybe some kind of copy and paste situation?

• Do they?

bluewalker posted: »

I still wonder why Molly and Jane look like sisters. Like... Really. Really. Maybe some kind of copy and paste situation?

• Or I am just a crazy person. Dunno.

Do they?

• enter image description here

Huh. Whaddya know, there is an actual resemblance beyond being the same basic archetype and the whole dead(?) sister backstory.

Or I am just a crazy person. Dunno.

• edited February 2017

See? Thank God I'm not crazy.
    Also, Molly had the same voice actor as Bonnie, but Bonnie had more accent... Do you believe I didn't noticed that till I play the season for the second time?
    And... Yes. They do look like the same character sometimes. I remember some theories pointing that in the past, but you know... With Telltale we never know the right answer.

Huh. Whaddya know, there is an actual resemblance beyond being the same basic archetype and the whole dead(?) sister backstory.

• Also, Molly had the same voice actor as Bonnie, but Bonnie had more accent... Do you believe I didn't noticed that till I play the season for the second time?

Yeah, I didn't know that until I someone mention it offhand. Though I always thought the line "Shut up! Shut the fuck up!" sounded a bit odd.

And... Yes. They do like the same character sometimes. I remember some theories pointing that in the past, but you know... With Telltale we never know the right answer.

You know, I was never really a fan of that whole "just a ripoff" mindset Season 1 junkies had for a bit and that even applied to Jane. Objectively, I think Jane is the thicker character(in more ways than one) but I do think she definitely would've worked better if she had balance, actually added something to the already derailed story instead of completely aborting it, was a more minor character just above Mike and Bonnie, wasn't so inconsistent due to the chart, and/or, as of this conversation, if there was a 50/50 chance of her being a broken Molly.

See? Thank God I'm not crazy. Also, Molly had the same voice actor as Bonnie, but Bonnie had more accent... Do you believe I didn't notice

• I haven't played michonne has anyone got a picture of sam i can see

BroKenny posted: »

Sam's tits from TWDM were pretty hot. That's about all i can think of. xD

• Speaking of ugly, my avatar is hideous. Gonna fix those colors right now.

all that remains. Hmmm...I can sorta see why you'd say that. Really, Nick has a brighter eye color than most characters and the high

• Oh yeah, that was from when people thought this was another attractiveness thread(the actual one made by me is linked in the description).
    A fair, rare breed, this one.:blush:

I haven't played michonne has anyone got a picture of sam i can see

• I noticed it seems to be glowing all of a sudden.(Random?)

Speaking of ugly, my avatar is hideous. Gonna fix those colors right now.

• enter image description here
    If we're going to promote a first lady to the presidency, we can do better than Hilary.

• Nice

Oh yeah, that was from when people thought this was another attractiveness thread(the actual one made by me is linked in the description). A fair, rare breed, this one.

• What tits? She looked like a teenage boy.

BroKenny posted: »

Sam's tits from TWDM were pretty hot. That's about all i can think of. xD

• Yeah, weird. But I fixed it.
    How did they distort Arvo's face like that in your avatar?

I noticed it seems to be glowing all of a sudden.(Random?)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.