The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

Last question is why is there barely any hubs/controll over javi? I think there was an okay amount in ep1 but after that we barely got any. Why do certain games, like Guardians for example, get all these good hubs but yet ANF barely gets any?

One of the challenges with every freewalk design is how to make sure the player has a clear set of goals that balance urgency and exploration -- it should feel like you have something important to do, rather than wandering aimlessly -- but the act of exploration can be at odds with the feeling of it being urgent to accomplish a goal.
    In some of the episodes this season, we erred on the side of urgency, to the detriment of exploration -- and we’ve heard a lot of feedback about that choice. I know that I personally have learned a whole lot about what to do -- and not to do -- to set up freewalks in order to succeed, and I hope to apply those lessons in future episodes.

Do you think you guys will ever consider going back to season1/2 graphics style? If updated, I really think it would look amazing. The style

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

Once a thread is marked as spoilers it's locked in, unfortunately :/

A work-around I'm using is to jump between pages. If you are on page 12 and you click page 11, for instance, it doesn't ask you to "click to reveal." It only does that on a hard refresh.

Ekelund21 posted: »

Can you removed the spoiler tag on this thread so we don't have to reveal discussion every time we refresh? @mostlypoptarts

• AdamWritesVideoGamesAdamWritesVideoGames Former Telltale Staff

enter image description here

AgentZ46 posted: »

So many passive aggressive questions...

• No problem, I got it.

Ekelund21 posted: »

Can you removed the spoiler tag on this thread so we don't have to reveal discussion every time we refresh? @mostlypoptarts

edited June 2017

Was Javis non canon death scene where he tells Gabe to go to Richmond suppose to be canon at one point or was it always just a cool easter egg?

It was an easter egg that our director, Jason Pyke, created. There were several alternative versions of extended death scenes in the original plans, as a special treat for our fans who sometimes miss a QTE prompt. Not all of them made the final episode.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Hello and thank you for doing this AMA * Was Javis non canon death scene where he tells Gabe to go to Richmond suppose to be canon at

edited June 2017

...JK, @Ekelund21

We all (or at least I) learned something today!

No problem, I got it.

LOL just kidding

Once a thread is marked as spoilers it's locked in, unfortunately A work-around I'm using is to jump between pages. If you are on page 1

• Unexpected response, but I appreciate it.

Noted.

• Pffft, amateur

Just kidding! :p

...JK, @Ekelund21 We all (or at least I) learned something today!

In episode 4 when Gabe calls out Javi for killing Conrad, did Gabe know Conrad was apart of Tripp's group? Did he purposely rat out Javi to Tripp and Eleanor or was it on accident?

Gabe knew that Conrad and Tripp both came from Prescott, because they were all traveling together in Episode 2. As for whether his exposing Javi’s secret was purposeful -- I don’t think he planned it by any means. But one of the things that teenagers do, quite often, is react to something hurtful by trying to hurt back -- and Gabe was very hurt that his plans for saving his father weren’t resonating with Kate and Tripp (even if they were conditionally resonating with Javi.) So he took Javi’s words about life being precious, and threw them back in his face -- publicly calling Javi out as a hypocrite without thought for the consequences.

If you're allowed to, could you tell us anything interesting about previous iterations of season 3? Was there any scrapped content you thought was cool that didn't make it into the final cut?

Max at one point in development died in the Slaughterhouse in episode 1, after Javi found and took care of a turned Mariana.
    There was a flashback of Clem and her babysitter in Episode 1, where she had a phone call with her mom from Atlanta.
    Lingard’s model was originally created to be a guy named Mason, who was the mastermind of the New Frontier group in an early iteration of the story.
    The guy who stabbed Javi in episode 4 (and was eaten by walkers in Ep 5) was originally supposed to be a spanish-speaking engineer that Javi could use his (originally planned) bilingual skills to communicate with. He was being guarded by Ava, who was envisioned as a former MMA fighter who had found a role as a prison guard for the New Frontier.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Hello and thank you for doing this AMA * Was Javis non canon death scene where he tells Gabe to go to Richmond suppose to be canon at

u my homie, homie

Unexpected response, but I appreciate it.

• INB4 Blind is d

Actually no. I have a history of pointing out prospects that end up becoming true.

Pffft, amateur Just kidding!

• <3

u my homie, homie

What was the point of keeping/not keeping those items: Chocolate bar, Medicine, Marianna's casette player, Kenny's hat?

Unfortunately, the in-game payoff for keeping some of these items ended up on the cutting room floor. It would have been a really nice moment in Ep 1 if Javi had handed over that candy bar; we had intended for Javi to be able to give the cassette player to David and to potentially use the medicine in the post-wall breach fray. But for various production reasons, we didn’t end up shipping that content. We are keeping track of Kenny’s hat, and have a plan for where it will be found for those players who kept it.

Do writers feel to be restricted in writing when it comes to length of the episode? What happened to Max? Did you forget about him? Wh

• ....in before Blind is dead? I don't follow. :p

INB4 Blind is d Actually no. I have a history of pointing out prospects that end up becoming true.

He’s clean-shaven in the flashbacks, as well as the opening scene!

I'm just sad I haven't seen more fan-art with Javi trying out different facial hairs. You know the dude could rock the Magnum PI no problem.

xXOldKingXx posted: »

Why give Javi the beard? Can we see Javi without the beard at some point?

• edited June 2017

goddamnit that sounded cool as fuck

why all the cool shit gotta be cut

Alyssa_TTG posted: »

In episode 4 when Gabe calls out Javi for killing Conrad, did Gabe know Conrad was apart of Tripp's group? Did he purposely rat out Javi to

• OMG this!!! One thing I loved about season 2 was the menu and title screens! I know it's extra work but it just made the season so much more unique and creepy.

And I have a last final question that I would really like answered. Perhaps more aimed at Creative Director @Alyssa_TTG, since you're likely

• There was a flashback of Clem and her babysitter in Episode 1, where she had a phone call with her mom from Atlanta

A recreation of this one?

In episode 4 when Gabe calls out Javi for killing Conrad, did Gabe know Conrad was apart of Tripp's group? Did he purposely rat out Javi to

The original goal of that set of events was to create a walker situation that one, but not the other, of Tripp/Ava could have made it through. Via player feedback, we knew we needed some kind of action on the overpass to keep the urgency up. Previous versions of the scene had felt too safe, too detached from the action going on in Richmond -- and of the characters we had in the scene, there were only two that didn’t already have critical story beats later in the episode relying on them. A staple of the franchise is that no one is safe, and we didn’t want Tripp and Ava’s recent brush with death to give them plot armor. All that said, it’s one of those things that worked better in theory than in practice; the original intent was to provide the same kind of closure for Ava as we did for Tripp; next time around, we’ll make sure that people do spend the time that they ought mourning such an impactful character.

Hey, Adam and Alyssa! Thanks for taking the time to participate in this Ask Me Anything. These have—mostly—been a pleasant activity that

Question:
    Do team members who work on TWD have strong opinion regarding how this series should end?

I’d say everyone has a strong opinion as to how the series should end, but, like anything worthwhile, finding the right answer takes time. Sometimes more time than we like, and more often more time than you guys like ;-) At the end of the day, though, our main concern is quality, and we’d rather give you guys the right finale than the one we can finish fastest.

And thank you for sticking with us. :-)

Delinx posted: »

Question: Do team members who work on TWD have strong opinion regarding how this series should end? Explanation: I and many others fans

• We are keeping track of Kenny’s hat, and have a plan for where it will be found for those players who kept it.

Thank you.

What was the point of keeping/not keeping those items: Chocolate bar, Medicine, Marianna's casette player, Kenny's hat? Unfortunatel

edited June 2017

Totally misplaced this response! Hi everyone, we're answering as fast as we can! :)

Who thought it was a good idea to make Clem fall head over heels for Gabe after knowing him for, like, 3 days?

Have you ever had a crush on someone before really getting to know them?

* What in the world happened to Max? Fell off the face of the earth? * I remember during (pre release) crowdplay staff specifically said "

• Oh okay, it was really cool to see a scene play out before the game over screen. If it doesn't take too much effort it would be awesome to see more extended death scenes like that in future Telltale games.

Was Javis non canon death scene where he tells Gabe to go to Richmond suppose to be canon at one point or was it always just a cool easter e

Given the extremely positive feedback you guys got from the handling of Conrad, I would've assumed that keeping the quality of determinant characters at a consistently high level would be pretty high up on your list of priorities, but it seemed like every determinant was just thrown in the background, or forgotten about entirely, in Episode 5.

Every one of them had such great potential, only for it to be thrown away in a disturbingly similar fashion to characters like Nick, Sarah, Kenny, and Jane.

All I'm asking is that you please don't go back to your old ways, after taking such a large step in the right direction regarding determinants. It'd be a real shame.

We hear you loud and clear.

Why weren't Joan and Clint in the finale at all? It seems a bit odd that the main antagonist(s) wouldn't even have a cameo in the finale.

• Thank you for the reply, Alyssa.

I am glad to know that—next time—the gambling of the lives of prominent characters won't be shipped to the public.

The original goal of that set of events was to create a walker situation that one, but not the other, of Tripp/Ava could have made it throug

• Me within 1 hour when I was 13 lol. I even thought I loved him just because he was handsome.

Who thought it was a good idea to make Clem fall head over heels for Gabe after knowing him for, like, 3 days? Have you ever had a crush on someone before really getting to know them?

edited June 2017

3-what are your response to the big youtubers criticisms?

From Alyssa: I think they make good points. There’s lessons to be learned from this season.

And I agree, too!

7-do you regret doing something about this season?

As with any artistic endeavors, there are always things you wish you’d done differently. So long as you have more things you’re proud of than things you regret, that’s the best you can ask for. And that’s how I feel about this season for sure.

And that's it....hopefully my questions weren't offensive and if so I apologize I'm just an angry fan wanting the best for its company and thank u guys for making this AMA

No need to apologize. Believe me, I've read worse. ;-)

I was a Telltale fan for a lot longer than I've been a writer for them. Believe me when I say I understand where you guys are coming from. I love these games just as much as all of you: that's why I worked so hard to get to write them! Just know that they are all labors of love. Everyone in this office (including this writer for sure!) adores Clementine and Fiona and Selina and Asher and Rocket and Ivor and Bigby and everyone else in our remarkable library of characters just as much as you guys do, and we endeavor every day to do them all justice. We welcome your feedback and we do listen. We just ask you to understand that we're working hard for you and for them. Thanks for following us on this journey :-)

1-Why didn't you guys stick to the original story 2-why did u guys make clem so heartless....like when ava died I made sure clem was a fri

Every day on the subway when I lived in New York.

Every. Day.

Who thought it was a good idea to make Clem fall head over heels for Gabe after knowing him for, like, 3 days? Have you ever had a crush on someone before really getting to know them?

• There was an earlier version of the story where Javi was forced to join the New Frontier group and branded (against his will) in order to prove his trustworthiness/earn his place. He escaped, but still needed to retrieve his family (David, Gabe, and Mari) from their NF captors, which aligned his goals with Clementine’s search for AJ.

Development started with that version of the story, but once the first version of it got onscreen, it didn’t feel like an authentic Walking Dead story. From there, a rewrite process started that ended up with the version of the game that we shipped.

Thank you for telling us and this is how I feel right now:

How do you feel this season was received by the fandom? Do you feel the fans overall liked it? Do you think you met their expectations?

Jumping in to say ASHER IS LIFE!!!!!! ASHER IS EVERYTHING!!!!!

3-what are your response to the big youtubers criticisms? From Alyssa: I think they make good points. There’s lessons to be learned

• That stuff sounds really cool! Especially the part with the spanish speaking engineer, it would've been neat to use Javi's bilingual skills in dialogue choices. Maybe you could retool some of the scrapped content for season 4.

Thank you for answering my questions.

• demoted

....in before Blind is dead? I don't follow.

There were quite a lot of variations for the endings in Ep5, ranging from Clems trust in Javier to who ends up living in your ending. How was the thought process for these variations? Were they planned mid-season to be a big thing for the finale? Or possibly thought even before or later? This player uniqueness (especially with the whole 'Your Clem Became' thing) has me hoping to see if this will have a greater impact for Clems attitudes in the future season to come.

We wanted to make player choice matter, including the choices from previous seasons and in the Clem flashbacks. Part of the inspiration was explaining what we meant when we said there were 42 versions of Clem coming out of season 2 -- that promise was a hard one to pay off, but we felt it important to honor it as best we could.

We also heard the feedback from the opening episodes of this season about how we handled the S2 endings, and wanted to set up a situation where we could see a path to honoring the player’s choices more effectively in this season.

I was a really big fan of David's character, so when I saw both David's and Kate's plans following the chaos at Richmond had me confused, was this to show that David was somewhat a hypocrite and mirrored what Javi had tried to improve about himself in the flashbacks? I'm also sad that my relationship with David, no matter how heartfelt and loyal I was to him, he saw me as a rival to him in the end. Was David always intended to be a inflexible/unchangeable character? I wanted to see a moment of catharsis with him and Javier, but it seems like David's doomed himself for no return. It ponders whether David can only have redemption when he becomes a martyr, interesting.

David has trouble seeing things that are right in front of him, whether it was Joan’s betrayal of Richmond or Kate’s changing feelings about him. Even when Javi (determinantly) tries to tell him that Kate’s done with him, or that Kate likes Javi more, David isn’t ready to hear that message… until Kate slaps him across the face with it in the water tower scene. I don’t think David is unchangeable, but I think he changes more slowly than he should, and that tendency causes him to lose family, friends, and power at the time he most needs those things.

Hey guys thank you for doing another AMA, especially this quick after the finale. (I waffle on quite a bit so answering just one question wo

• Oooh. That sounds interesting.

This is something that Clem will need to decide for herself. There’s some factors in her history that could make it more or less likely fo

There was a big hub in Episode 5 where Javi had to solve the problem of how to get off the roof, while also having the opportunity to talk to each character about your relationship and what was on their mind, including Clem trying to cheer up a very sad Gabe after having been knocked back by David in the scene in the apartments.

Gameserer posted: »

Thanks for taking the time to do this AMA. Seeing as though many people have already asked what I wanted to, my question is: Can you tell us about a scene/idea from episode 4 and/or 5 that didn't make it into the final cut?

• We also heard the feedback from the opening episodes of this season about how we handled the S2 endings, and wanted to set up a situation where we could see a path to honoring the player’s choices more effectively in this season.

Thank you for doing that, we really appreciate it.

There were quite a lot of variations for the endings in Ep5, ranging from Clems trust in Javier to who ends up living in your ending. How wa

1: After pistol whipping Lonnie, why did Javier just throw gun?

From Alyssa: Javi knew that the rest of the group was likely to return, and didn’t want to get into a shootout trapped in a tiny trailer. His thinking was that he had a better chance of talking his way out of the situation if he WASN’T holding a gun.

2: Do you hate David? He's only alive in one ending, and even he can be kicked out. Even if he isn't, he doesn't show up at the END.

From Alyssa: No, not at all. David embarked on dangerous action in From the Gallows, and it took both luck and choice to save him. But just because he’s saved, doesn’t mean he’s reconciled his feelings about the family -- and I think him not showing up at the end is an indication of him working his way through that process.

And I don't hate David, either. In fact, he was one of my favorite characters to write.

3: How come episode 1, 4, and 5, (maybe more) were rewritten?

Every episode gets a certain degree of rewrites, some more than others! And most often people confuse edits for “rewrites.” Each episode is its own unique adventure in that way.

5: is it a plausible theory that Tripp could survive by falling into the river on highway, and after shot, he looks like he's getting up.

From Alyssa: If Tripp is shot in episode 4, he’s dead, no way around it.

TheDerpGod posted: »

Questions, oh yes... 1: After pistol whipping Lonnie, why did Javier just throw gun? 2: Do you hate David? He's only alive in one endi

edited June 2017

[removed]

TheDerpGod posted: »

Questions, oh yes... 1: After pistol whipping Lonnie, why did Javier just throw gun? 2: Do you hate David? He's only alive in one endi

This discussion has been closed.