The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• edited June 2017

Okay, regardless of what the vocal complainers say, PLEASE don't cave and change her hair in the next story. I think she looks really rad. There are so many fans afraid of change and want Clem to be the same age and appearance and personality forever, and they'll seem like a majority because all they do all day is post their complaints. Stick to your guns!

Alyssa_TTG posted: »

From our art director, Tara Rueping: From day 1 of development, the team wanted to give Clem an evolving look over the course of the flas

• AdamWritesVideoGamesAdamWritesVideoGames Former Telltale Staff

Our pleasure. Thanks for the questions! :)

Wow, thank you for taking your time to answer! Honestly, I wasn't sure you were going to respond, I'm glad you did This is very interesting, I'll take some notes for my own future proyects! Thank you!

truthbomb

bc love for rhys is understood

Adam just learned the powers of hashtags.

WOWTHISISCOOL

truthbomb

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

I can post a couple more:

Clinton Barnes was a stockbroker who worked from his home and spent every spare moment on his lavish garden. He always planned to meet a girl and share that garden with her one day, but the changing world robbed him of that dream. Luckily, his extensive botanical knowledge has come in handy for the residents of Richmond.

Paul Lingard was a world-class oncologist and a respected faculty member at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. While most of his colleagues fled for safety as society collapsed, Lingard sought out the injured and tried to help however he could.

Alyssa_TTG could you post all of the character backstories, like the ones you gave for Joan, Conrad, and Tripp? Many fans would be grateful, myself included.

Yes, I am! Because when all else fails: ALWAYS BE PETTY.

And you're welcome! If it's the only set of lines I'm remembered for in my tenure at Telltale I am perfectly okay with that.

Batteries posted: »

Ah, so you are responsible for that cake line? Thank you.

• [removed]

Adam just learned the powers of hashtags. WOWTHISISCOOL

• Paul Lingard was a world-class oncologist and a respected faculty member at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. While most of his colleagues fled for safety as society collapsed, Lingard sought out the injured and tried to help however he could.

He was such a good guy

I can post a couple more: Clinton Barnes was a stockbroker who worked from his home and spent every spare moment on his lavish garden. He

• 4.2 Please use accents like large letters, highlighted text, all caps, pictures, animated gifs, emoticons etc. sparingly.

You're welcome, Blind.

Adam just learned the powers of hashtags. WOWTHISISCOOL

• You're awesome, thank you. Can you give Eleanor's backstory too?

Thanks for this ama and please don't forget about our unknown status Kate <3

I can post a couple more: Clinton Barnes was a stockbroker who worked from his home and spent every spare moment on his lavish garden. He

• thought lingard was a degenerate junkie, hm.

• YES

And I have a last final question that I would really like answered. Perhaps more aimed at Creative Director @Alyssa_TTG, since you're likely

• One of the things I love that you're able to do with TWD is give these people mundane backstories that end up deciding their new role in the zombie apocalypse. That's a perfect example. I know that even if we the players don't know about it, it helps inform the writing. Still, don't be shy about introducing more of this stuff in-game.

Joan was a divorced single mother, a driven child of immigrants, who worked her way up to COO of her furniture manufacturing company, runnin

• People are oddly multi-faceted.

thought lingard was a degenerate junkie, hm.

• Those medical skills and the doctor title had to come from somewhere.

thought lingard was a degenerate junkie, hm.

• Yeah, the unused dialogue(and heck, some of the used ones) made it obvious that it was just a bunch of pissed off families.

I knew it

• I dont think they decided themselves yet, you know, there is a lot of feedback to think about.

AdamRoberts posted: »

I cant stop myself. My qts is: ANY NEWS WHATS NEXT? SEASON 4 OR DLC? IF SO, WHEN?

• Yeah...now if they would only take the time to put them in the game so we can have some deeper characters.

One of the things I love that you're able to do with TWD is give these people mundane backstories that end up deciding their new role in the

Elle is tricky. Her character changed enough in development that her original backstory no longer makes sense. I can tell you that she is Thai American, and (some of you guessed this) was originally designed as Joan's daughter in an early version of the story. In the shipping version, though, they are not related.

You're awesome, thank you. Can you give Eleanor's backstory too? Thanks for this ama and please don't forget about our unknown status Kate

• Why....why could this info not have been in the game....give us the time to get to know the good guys and the bad. It is this that helps make TWD more than just a zombie apocalypse series....and more moments like the episode 5 Flashback with Javi and David and their father....HUMAN moments...taking time to talk and feel...this is TWD.

Thanks for the AMA...you guys rock.

• There was a flashback of Clem and her babysitter in Episode 1, where she had a phone call with her mom from Atlanta.

enter image description here

In episode 4 when Gabe calls out Javi for killing Conrad, did Gabe know Conrad was apart of Tripp's group? Did he purposely rat out Javi to

• Crush is one thing, but looking at some of these lines ("I thought I would be alone forever...until I met you."), it looks to go a BIT more than a crush.

Who thought it was a good idea to make Clem fall head over heels for Gabe after knowing him for, like, 3 days? Have you ever had a crush on someone before really getting to know them?

• Wow, thanks for giving a pal the deets! This info really helps flesh out my experience in the game.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, feel free to share any other backstories you think of (and plz don't forget unknown status Kate it's very important ok love you guys <3)

Elle is tricky. Her character changed enough in development that her original backstory no longer makes sense. I can tell you that she i

• Yeah I saw that but alas, I don't have the college degree or work experience that the postings say are required, just a talent for telling stories, particularly dystopian stories. Thank you for the replies, though.

And yes, as a matter of fact we are hiring writers https://telltale.com/jobs/

• That was my thought as well. :lol:

Yeah...now if they would only take the time to put them in the game so we can have some deeper characters.

• David has trouble seeing things that are right in front of him

Dude should get some glasses.

There were quite a lot of variations for the endings in Ep5, ranging from Clems trust in Javier to who ends up living in your ending. How wa

• This is.. the best easter egg I have seen so far. Crazy, out of the blue, makes no sense to the situation but really nice "secret" bit they added.
    I must shake that person's hand as well.

dojo32161 posted: »

Can I shake the hand(s) of the person(s) responsible for this? Another question I have is about the odd disappearance of Conrad at th

• A Telltale main menu aficionado, like me?
    My. Thoughts. EXACTLY.

And I have a last final question that I would really like answered. Perhaps more aimed at Creative Director @Alyssa_TTG, since you're likely

• (some of you guessed this) was originally designed as Joan's daughter in an early version of the story. In the shipping version, though, they are not related.

Really? And here I just thought that was a mildly offensive assumption on other people's part. Guess that explains her line about having missing family, though.

If anyone was gonna be related to the New Frontier, I thought it'd be Conrad.

Elle is tricky. Her character changed enough in development that her original backstory no longer makes sense. I can tell you that she i

• Telltale, pls. This is the stuff I live for! cries

• So Clem's story arc is gonna be resolved in a fifteen dollar graphic novel? Hey, as long as it gets resolved in one way or another.

DabigRG posted: »

Sounds like a Zuko's mom situation.

• edited June 2017

nvm

Every version of episode 5 had some kind of heavy equipment playing a part.... Probably because the main problem to solve was a hole in the wall. We set up the bulldozer in episode 4, and some people (JackSepticEye, for one) totally predicted what were going to do with it.

Hey how ya doing? I enjoyed Episode 5 greatly. I hope this hasn't been asked yet, but my question(s) relates to some what ifs and possibilit

• edited June 2017

the future of the Richmond folks will develop based on the starting point that the player created in this season

Oh damn, Javier is making a comeback.

How do you feel this season was received by the fandom? Do you feel the fans overall liked it? Do you think you met their expectations?

• The first one was my face when the hat never made an appearance.

LeeClemKen posted: »

1)Where did Clem learn how to drive a motorcycle? Did Kenny / Jane teach her? 2) Was Tripp the leader of Prescott or was he some sort of sc

• I completely understand that, but I (and many others) feel as though i has strayed too far from the roots. A perfect hybrid can be struck, but I think it should mirror that of season 2 more than of season 3.

Do you think you guys will ever consider going back to season1/2 graphics style? If updated, I really think it would look amazing. The style

• Here are my g̶o̶o̶d̶ and n̶o̶t̶cringy pieces I did at 1am on 3 hours of sleep as per request lol

PLEASE TELL ME this means you're taking requests because I now want: Mirror-Universe Javi Mutton-Chops Javi Salvador Dali Javi You've opened the flood gates of facial hair!

We haven't forgotten, and we're very aware of the strong Luke fan base and the power of his character.

Clem didn't spend much time outside of flashbacks reflecting upon her past -- in fact, I believe she only mentioned Lee directly one time. I can tell you that we did use Clem's history with Luke as one of the variant factors in determining certain dialog lines playing in the season, though those instances can be hard to spot in a casual play though.

She hasn't forgotten him.

BHBrowne posted: »

Hello from the United Kingdom! Thank you very much for doing one of these, I love reading people's questions and your answers! I don't know

• Dude that was my favorite line! It was so perfect.

Also, on a less critical note, who was your favorite character this season and why? Too many to list. Javi, Conrad, Clem, Kate, Dav

We do appreciate your passion. :)

AChicken posted: »

Oh boy, this is going to be a fun time for the writers... having to sift through all these negative comments of which they know they can't a

This discussion has been closed.