The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• why no luv 4 rhys

3-what are your response to the big youtubers criticisms? From Alyssa: I think they make good points. There’s lessons to be learned

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Even though it appears to be over, I wanna leave this here on the off chance one of you guys get a chance to answer it:

What did Max and Joan do before the apocalypse? Joan's friendly front makes me think she might have worked in customer service or something-- a cashier at a store, a secretary, or something like that.

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

Thanks for this feedback. I can't promise, but I can say that I'll make sure this request is part of the conversation for next time around :)

And I have a last final question that I would really like answered. Perhaps more aimed at Creative Director @Alyssa_TTG, since you're likely

• Wow, thank you for taking your time to answer! Honestly, I wasn't sure you were going to respond, I'm glad you did :) This is very interesting, I'll take some notes for my own future proyects! Thank you!

Lot of questions here and thank you for asking them! I'll try to answer a couple. If Javier was raised by cuban parents, why doesn't h

• edited June 2017

NEVERMIND!!!! I got the answer, surprisingly.

• edited June 2017

Mine neither bud :(

AronDracula posted: »

• She could feel strongly enough based on some existing choices that she’ll make a declaration on his deathbed of what they might have been -- but the difference between might have been, and what will be, remains to be seen.

That's pretty much my thought as well. Doesn't change my issues with the entire scene existing, but that's not important.

Alyssa_TTG posted: »

This is something that Clem will need to decide for herself. There’s some factors in her history that could make it more or less likely fo

• Same. But maybe give them some time.

• They are not forgotten. The decision that Javi made in Episode 4 will have long term consequences.

enter image description here

I know you probably can't say anything regarding this, but I and many others really hope Joan/Clint weren't completely forgotten by you guys

• Ah, so you are responsible for that cake line?

Thank you.

Also, on a less critical note, who was your favorite character this season and why? Too many to list. Javi, Conrad, Clem, Kate, Dav

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

bc love for rhys is understood

why no luv 4 rhys

Yes, though indoors and playable, not raccoon-based. The call would have been a little later in the timeline (but before the phone messages).

There was a flashback of Clem and her babysitter in Episode 1, where she had a phone call with her mom from Atlanta A recreation of this one?

• Oh, it's sad to hear that they got cut. Ideas that you had to do with those items sound very cool. I'm looking forward to see Kenny's hat and I hope that's something that will define AJ's appearance in the future seasons.

Thank you for answering so many questions in such short time. You're pulling all the weight it seems and I like the way you answer the questions. Hopefully you will participate in further AMA's. Keep it up

What was the point of keeping/not keeping those items: Chocolate bar, Medicine, Marianna's casette player, Kenny's hat? Unfortunatel

• AdamWritesVideoGamesAdamWritesVideoGames Former Telltale Staff

Alright, I'll get on it lol.

• Former dock worker, eh? He really was the new Kenny

What was Tripp's exact job description in Prescott and what did he do before the outbreak? Tripp is a former dock worker, not well e

We did think about this quite a bit. There was a (cut) choice where Javi could offer to go along and help out, but Clem refused that offer -- it was something she wanted to do on her own.

Throughout the whole season Clementine has put herself in danger to help Javier and his family despite owing them nothing. Now it is the

• Did Tripp and Conrad know each other pre apocalypse?

We cut content for a lot of reasons. Sometimes because an idea works on paper but falls flat interactively -- the first playable version of our episode tells us a LOT about what we need to hone and polish, but generally the time we have to do that is limited once production has started. Sometimes we'll have a great idea too late to be able to realize it -- if it requires a custom art asset or a custom animation, it may not fit in the schedule for those teams. Or, sometimes we cut things because of player feedback -- it's just not working for people, it feels off tone or off license, or it causes more confusion than enjoyment.

Why did you guys delete a lot of content for A New Frontier which could have made the game much longer and better than what it is for now?

• Huh. That actually explains a fair bit, such as the context of his memorial photo.

Thanks!

What was Tripp's exact job description in Prescott and what did he do before the outbreak? Tripp is a former dock worker, not well e

• Ugh.

Former dock worker, eh? He really was the new Kenny

I answered this elsewhere, so apologies for the copypasta.

After Max confesses that he and Lonnie were conspiring with Joan looting other settlements, given what we know about how the Richmond council approaches justice, they were put in a holding cell awaiting the herd to clear, so they could be exiled from Richmond (but given a fair shot to survive). Given what we learned about Clint in Episode 5, he definitely wouldn’t have agreed to any outcome for Max and Lonnie that was harsher than exile -- and likely wanted to dig in and get more details before going that far.

If Max and Lonnie live through episode 3, where do they go in episodes 4-5, and are they still alive or in Richmond if so?

Joan was a divorced single mother, a driven child of immigrants, who worked her way up to COO of her furniture manufacturing company, running the factory as both den mother and disciplinarian. She knew every employee’s name, but also everyone’s weak spots.

Deltino posted: »

Even though it appears to be over, I wanna leave this here on the off chance one of you guys get a chance to answer it: What did Max and

• There's hope it appears.

We’ll do our best.

• Mariana died in different ways over the course of rewrites, but she always had a finite lifespan in the story. There was an earlier version of the story where Javi came upon a turned Mariana behind the trailer upon returning to the junkyard in Episode 1, and had to decide whether to put her down or let someone else do it.

Huh, that's interesting to learn. Kinda feel bad for the thing.

The determinate scene where there's a New Frontier member that turned in the junkyard wouldn't happen to be a remnant of that idea, would it?

Pre-apocalypse, he owned a small town restaurant and was an avid baseball fan.

Conrad=Cleveland Brown confirmed?

Was Mariana always supposed to die? Or did you have plans for her character? Mariana died in different ways over the course of rewri

• Is there any way you would make a post with ALL of the hidden backstory for these characters? This is all really interesting and people wish we could have learned more about the characters during this season.

Joan was a divorced single mother, a driven child of immigrants, who worked her way up to COO of her furniture manufacturing company, runnin

• Sounds like a Zuko's mom situation.

We felt strongly that the story of Clem finding AJ needed to be told from Clem’s perspective -- and there wasn’t enough room in the finale episode, with everything else going on, to do that story justice.

• edited June 2017

I get it but did you guys really have to cut the Slaughterhouse scene out? You posted this screenshot for nothing. It's like you already made up your mind.
    enter image description here

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

We cut content for a lot of reasons. Sometimes because an idea works on paper but falls flat interactively -- the first playable version of

The hat shall not be forgotten.

TrashJesus posted: »

"We haven't forgotten about the hat"

• Is there a possibility of more s2 flashbacks in the next installment?

• what was badger's backstory?

• Awesome. Thanks for the response. I've always liked seeing how outfits/wardrobes play into stories. There always seem like cool bits to add to atmosphere and emotion.

Also, "Hero Clem"... Red leather jacket... Supergirl has a red cape... CLEM HAS SUPERPOWERS CONFIRMED!!!

From our art director, Tara Rueping: From day 1 of development, the team wanted to give Clem an evolving look over the course of the flas

And yes, as a matter of fact we are hiring writers :)

https://telltale.com/jobs/

Overall I enjoyed this season. Worth the full price buy. Feel free to answer any or all of these. I'd prefer all lol * I've heard that

• I know I've already asked somethings, but this just came to mind: Was there any particular reason Ava was designed to be dwarfish? I was originally of the mindset that she was to be important to Clementine and/or Gabe's arcs and that just made it even more likely.

• edited June 2017

Pardon me for asking another question (and you can ignore this until everyone else has theirs answered) but I heard that Telltale stated at one point that 400 days would have an impact on season 3. What did they mean by this?

(Should've asked this question earlier. Aargh!)

edited June 2017

All of them, really. It's fun, and it's also hard, but ultimately, the best day is the day an episode hits the street and we can see how people react to it, and learn from that.

What is/are the episode(s) you guys had fun making?

• Alyssa_TTG could you post all of the character backstories, like the ones you gave for Joan, Conrad, and Tripp? Many fans would be grateful, myself included.

There may have been model reuse in the Wellington flashback that may have implied that New Frontier was involved in destroying Wellington, but storywise, we never intended the New Frontier to have been a part of that destruction.

Who destroyed Wellington? New Frontier or not?

It was raining a lot there around the time of Episode 5.

XyzLewis posted: »

Episode 5: Is the city under the highway suppose to be flooded?

• I knew it

There may have been model reuse in the Wellington flashback that may have implied that New Frontier was involved in destroying Wellington, but storywise, we never intended the New Frontier to have been a part of that destruction.

Thanks for your faith. We will do our best :)

Mista_L posted: »

I'm sure you're well aware of the many criticisms The New Frontier has faced. Does the creative team plan to take these criticisms into acco

This discussion has been closed.