The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• AdamWritesVideoGamesAdamWritesVideoGames Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2017

Looking good, Mr. T!

dojo32161 posted: »

I can help you with that one (sort of) DLB posted this in the Details thread

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

I think 162 cm = 5' 3".

Here's Ava's backstory, as a bonus.

The product of a military family, Ava was a bullish student always at the top of her class, and her brief stint in the United States Armed Forces alongside her sister was no different. Though she presents a tough exterior, Ava is also severely compassionate, a trait her father always referred to as her “greatest fault”.

Following the outbreak, Ava and her sister were stationed at a military checkpoint that quickly fell apart - despite their valiant attempts to help hold it together. It was there that she met David. In the chaos, Ava watched her sister turn - and was forced to put her down.

DabigRG posted: »

Too bad I don't measure in cm, so I'll have to convert it into ft. But regardless, the Walking Dead Games have a habit having teenagers that

We don't have a canon version of this one -- Badger was a character who changed quite a lot in development, originally playing a smaller role. I suspect he was a privileged bully, but that's the best I can offer.

what was badger's backstory?

• edited June 2017

Can I hear any more backstorys? Would like to know more about Edith, on how she got to Wellington. Fern was an interesting charcater, how did Ida die? Did Fern cause her death? Eleanor, she implied that she lost her family in episode one, did she have to put any of them down? @Alyssa_TTG

edited June 2017

Busket is a word our director made up when designing those action sequences, which we found funny enough that it ended up sticking. And for the record (in the department of things we didn't properly name in-game), I'm told that's not actually a bulldozer, it's a front loader.

darthsansa posted: »

How did Kate operate the bulldozer so well right away and even know the correct terminology, e.g. busket?

• What is Yaya García's last name?

What ever became of Hector García? We don't see him turn, we just see the bite.

How did Javi survive 4 years, especially with a bite victim in the backseat?

What are the responsibilities of a creative director/season lead writer?

A creative director's job is to make sure that the content in the season is consistent, coherent, and cohesive, fitting within the license and meeting the goals set by the company. That ideally starts from developing the key creative goals for the season, the main characters, and the high level plotline, and then extends to working with the episode leads to develop the specific storyline for each episode, as well as the art team and the director and the discipline leads to make sure the vision is being communicated properly, and then reviewing and providing feedback on all of it as it gets built. And then, as we get feedback from others, the Creative Director (and the Executive Producer) are ultimately responsible for figuring out the gameplan of what to do about that feedback, and how to make sure the game we want to make fits with the time and team we have to make it.

How do you decide what content does and doesn't make it into the game?

When it's on paper, we read it. Sometimes to ourselves, sometimes out loud. When it's in game, we play it. Sometimes we get other people to play it and listen to their feedback. It takes some amount of imagination to be able to see what will work and what won't from a partially completed state, but we do our best to pick the things that are going to resonate with players and lean into those.

Graysonn posted: »

What are the responsibilities of a creative director/season lead writer? Why the decision to move from the comic book artstyle to a more

• What is Joan's last name

What is Badger's real name

• Thank ya ma'am, you're too kind! :grin:

Alyssa_TTG posted: »

I think 162 cm = 5' 3". Here's Ava's backstory, as a bonus. The product of a military family, Ava was a bullish student always at the

• Thanks for the reply!

Busket is a word our director made up when designing those action sequences, which we found funny enough that it ended up sticking. And fo

• How did Francine meet Conrad? Did she have a family? Why is there numerous scars across Francine's face?

• Did either of you work on previous installments?

Can you elaborate on the Francine the Traitor thing?

• What happened to Hector? Did Javi or Kate put him down?

• I just wanted to say thank you both for answering some of our questions! It's nice to hear these little fun facts about some of the characters history, deleted content and such.

It's also so good that you can both face the community in the state it is. Some were not happy with this season, and have made their voices heard, but more importantly, you guys have blatantly and plainly told us you are listening. That's all we ask and I assure you so many of us here are so relieved to hear that. Your presence on the forum is appreciated by so many. It helps us to not feel like we are shouting into a void. Thanks so much for showing up and being active here from time to time when you don't really have any obligation to.

I think that maybe if there is some more Q&A's before and during "Clem's continued story" then it will reassure a lot of us, and will keep the community from becoming a dumpster fire. :P Thanks guys!

• customizable Javi facial hair is the gift I never knew I wanted!

Beard DLC confirmed

These are amazing! Oh, man, customizable Javi facial hair is the gift I never knew I wanted! Thank you for these! Awesome work! Anyone else wonder what a clean-shaven Tripp might look like? Or is that just me?...

• In deleted audio during the hostage scene in Episode 2 Tripp recognizes Badger immediately and refers to The New Frontier as hyenas.
    Was Tripp supposed to be involved with TNF at one point in development? Did he know Badger personally?

• Do there need to be signs? Sure the love triangle was between Kate, David and Javi but that doesn't mean Javi is only attracted to women.

The whole season was about this love triangle between Kate, David and Javi and there were NO signs of him being bi whatsoever. Him being bi

• Hi! My name is Noah, I've been a very big fan of Telltale for about 5 years. I loved Walking Dead Season 1 and I'd put Wolf Among Us as one of the best games I've ever played, which is why I was so disappointed with A New Frontier as I personally thought it was not up to quality, so I have to ask a few questions about the season and what you thought, and you can answer however you want although I'd prefer real answers coming straight from how you guys genuinely felt about these decisions.

• Why was Jane's death so out of character? It doesn't seem like her at all to not only do something so stupid that she's so against in her morals, but put Clementine in that kind of danger. I don't like how you guys handled the Season 2 characters in New Frontier but I would have liked it a bit better if Jane died in character. It seems more akin to something a character we don't know much about would do or maybe even Bonnie with her being a bit of a coward, but with Jane I just don't see how she'd do that.

• How were Kenny, Jane and Edith created in the new engine? As you might have seen from the criticisms witnessed after Ties that Bind P1 and 2 came out, a lot of people hated their new appearance. Jane looked like a glass doll with too much makeup, Kenny's face had several graphical errors as well as a really weirdly shaped beard, and Edith looked kinda terrifying considering her eyes were mostly blackened (might've been a graphical glitch on my end). I understand you slightly fixed these things in the second flashback but I want to know how they were ported. Did you just take the Season 2 models and shove them into the engine without any editing or did you create them on a time crunch? Not trying to be rude, just curious.

• Speaking of Ties that Bind, obviously a major criticism you might've seen when the very, admittedly, flawed first episodes were released are how short they are. Both were around 45 - 70 minutes depending on how fast you completed them, which in my opinion is far too short for any episode. So why did you split them into two parts? It seemed like it could have just been just one Episode. Was it because you ran out of story for the season or because you didn't feel like the episode fit story wise as one?

• So now that we know for sure we're getting a Season 4 or at least a Clem based story DLC, what do you guys think about the few people who aren't interested in Clementine's story but instead care more for Javier as a character and want to see where his story is going? I saw earlier in the thread that you guys said for sure you wouldn't pointlessly kill Javi off screen, and to an extent I trust you enough to believe that, but as somebody who personally doesn't care what Clem is even doing anymore and would rather see Javi, what do you guys think about just continuing Javi's story or for that matter what do you think of him as a character? I know in a perfect world you guys would probably create two versions of Season 4 but if this is a Clementine only story now I'd be kinda disappointed.

Those are all my questions, I know Season 1 and 2 related questions aren't exactly the topic otherwise I'd have MANY more, but if you guys could take time to respond to this I would really appreciate it! Also if you see Bigby's voice actor any time soon (WINK WINK) tell him I said I think he's awesome!

• Oops. i meant first name.

What is Yaya García's last name? What ever became of Hector García? We don't see him turn, we just see the bite. How did Javi survive 4 years, especially with a bite victim in the backseat?

• ...What were the choices we could pick from? If that's not too much to ask lol. I'm just painfully curious.

Well, one of the goals of that flashback was to give control over that exact thing to the player

• There’s a chance.

Christa's the very first to come to mind. There's no way such an important character in Clem's life after Lee just gets discarded without ANYTHING. She was strong and incredibly motherly. It's too hard to not have closure on the character that had a large impact on Clementine's development. Like when we got that "next time on the walking dead" where Clem says "I thought you were dead!" in S2 my heart was jumping for her. Why give the option to ask for her throughout the entire game just to leave us hanging? :[

My dream is to have a season detailing her, Omid, and Clem's journey out of Savannah and eventually towards Wellington, leading to something that gives us concrete evidence on her whereabouts--whether the bandits do actually kill her or if she makes it out and something else happens to her. I realize that, like in real life, we don't always know what happens to people and that we can be torn apart from someone we love in a split second.

But if Kenny gets a chance at surviving then Christa damn sure deserves one too, lol.

I know you guys can't outright say it, but is there a chance that unknown characters from Season 1 and 2 can make a return in future install

• edited June 2017

See? It happens. So why should Clem and Gabe be any different?

Bonbon80 posted: »

Me within 1 hour when I was 13 lol. I even thought I loved him just because he was handsome.

• Couldn't have said it better myself.

patrickrc95 posted: »

See? It happens. So why should Clem and Gabe be any different?

• they are not forgotten. The decision that Javi made in Episode 4 will have long term consequences.

Javier in season4 likely confirmed I guess for those who doubted

unless it was already confirmed. im not finished reading this thread

I know you probably can't say anything regarding this, but I and many others really hope Joan/Clint weren't completely forgotten by you guys

• edited June 2017

Is A.J really in Macarol Ranch? Doctor Lingard said at least where we left him. This could mean he might not be there

• Oh man, I wish we could've had that

There was a big hub in Episode 5 where Javi had to solve the problem of how to get off the roof, while also having the opportunity to talk t

• I like Javi's story morr than Clem's.
    I am done playing baby girl with super powers.
    Javi was more realistic to me and funny. Clem somehow boring. Just the victim girl and tears stuff.

Hi! My name is Noah, I've been a very big fan of Telltale for about 5 years. I loved Walking Dead Season 1 and I'd put Wolf Among Us as one

• Do you have any plans of killing Clementine??? If you do, please don't let it be soon. I don't want to see her die in like the next few season. Let her die in an age that is appropriate.

• Teenagers

Wait normal people get crushes in people they don't know what the heck

• As a "teenager", I can tell you that this almost never happens.

patrickrc95 posted: »

Teenagers

• Urban boats and white boats.

DabigRG posted: »

Ugh.

• Farmers got talent/Cannibal Idol.

That face when the St Johns were just hungry for talent.

• Haha no response. But I would like to know too.

Did Javi ever come out of the closet? What would David's reaction be?

• Or edgy pre-teens, I'm a edgy

Acheive250 posted: »

Oooohhhhh.... Hmmmmm.... Can teenagers apply?

• That is amazingly great telltale, thanks, even though it's Un-realistic, Tripp was my favourite character. If he is dead then I'm mad.

I notice there wasn't a no to Tripp possibly surviving the fall. Here's hoping he survived and will turn up in the next season, though it would be a repeat of the Kenny situation but I'll allow it since Tripp is awesome lol.

• 5 foot 3? I'm taller than that and I'm still going through puberty. She's short.

I think 162 cm = 5' 3". Here's Ava's backstory, as a bonus. The product of a military family, Ava was a bullish student always at the

• SHIT! I just thought of something, but it's over. I wanted to know what happens to David when you either kick him out or if he stays. He isn't shown in the end if he lives and isn't kicked out.

• Coming Out Headcanon: He's deeeeeeep in the closet and David would chop his dick off if he finds out. Mariana and Gaby know everything and they don't give a flying fuck. They only care about food. Kate doesn't know but it wouldn't bother her. Clem doesn't know what the fuck bisexual means.

TheDerpGod posted: »

Haha no response. But I would like to know too.

• Some Character Bios would be good.

Is there any way you would make a post with ALL of the hidden backstory for these characters? This is all really interesting and people wish we could have learned more about the characters during this season.

• Obviously most people still don't understand what being bi means.

Shroomii posted: »

Do there need to be signs? Sure the love triangle was between Kate, David and Javi but that doesn't mean Javi is only attracted to women.

This discussion has been closed.