The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• edited June 2017

Considering Javi is bisexual, why did this only emerge in the last 3 minutes of the game? As a bisexual guy it would have been nice to know earlier, maybe he could have optionally flirted with Tripp or something (regardless of reciprocation).

• edited June 2017

First of all, my english might not be perfect, as this isn't my native language, sorry for that. (Even if I think it is still pretty understandable tho.)
    I'll ask some questions, but i don't really expect answer since I think you will choose questions that highlight your game.

1. A lot of people have been frustrated because of the lenght of the episodes, will episodes be longer in the future or have you found this format satisfying ?
    2. I personally found hard to really care about new characters because of this. Why don't we have more "hubs" where you can talk to everyone, explore the environnement, etc... in this season ?
    3. Are you satisfied with Ava's death ? Like... She just die in the most pathetic way, and everyone is like "Ok, so... what are we gonna eat tonight ?". It really feels like you had no time to deal with it.
    4. This one isn't even a question. I really feel like this season was "sloppy" (i had to google translate this one), I felt like every character overreact to every situation only to lead to a fight. And that is also the case in your choices, it was like they were designed to create conflict out of nowhere.
    5. Will there be some translation patches ? Because the french one is really, really bad. I don't know for the others languages, but when you start the game, and the very first choice isn't even translated, it doesn't give you a good taste of what is coming next. There are things that aren't translated, and others which are totally mistranslated. Even at the end, in Clementine's portrait (with the recap of what Clem has become), the translation is just... awful. (Clementine, "un entreprise engagé" (wtf ?), family oriented fighter become in french "lutte contre l'ordre familial" which means the complete opposite.

... Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the game, it was okay. But far behind both season 1 and season 2. To be honest, this game was really poor compared to the previous seasons.

• Hello, and thanks for doing this AMA...I have a few questions and an observation or two.

1. We know there are always rewrites in a Telltale series...every game and movie has them. But Why does it seem that ANF was gutted and pieced together several times? With some really good parts dropped that would have A. Made the episodes longer and B. built up your characters. ANF Suffers from a breakneck speed that allows you no time to get to know anyone or truly explore your surroundings.
    2. Any chance Telltale is going to put that engine down and shoot it?
    3. The Combat felt so off this game...Game of Thrones and Michonne shows you how it should be done.
    4. Clem is an amazing character, but for all her use in ANF...you probably would have been better off not having her in it. If you had wanted to give us new characters....S3 should have been about how the Garcia clan survived the 4 years leading into meeting Clem. Taken your time to let us get to know them.

I am going to leave you with this observation. ANF and it could be argued a large part of Season 2 forgot what TWD is. TWD is not constant nonstop action...TWD is about the quiet before and after the storm. It is the sitting around a campfire and getting to know your group. It is about coming to realize that you are either alive or you are dead. It is being afraid that you do not have enough food to eat. It is about scavenging and out witting the walkers while avoiding the true villains in the world...other humans. TWD is about watching a friend die and actually feeling grief that they are gone.

1. Why was Max scratched from the story if you let him live?

2. How did Clementine learn to drive a car if she didn't go with Kenny?

3. How did Kate know how to drive a bulldozer?

4. What's with the sudden attachment Clementine has for Gabe when she has only known him for a couple of days?

5. How come Eleanor shows no remorse for being responsible of Ava/Tripp being caught and executed?

• Exactly! It wouldn't bother me if they didn't come from a cuban family, but if they are from a spanish speaking country, one would expect them to have the spanish version of the name.

Plus, Gabriel is old man name (40-something years old man), so it's weird to see someone this young with the name.
    HammyShow posted: »

Also why no one pronunces the Garcías' names right? Gabe and David specially I think this is how you pronounce their names supposedl

• edited June 2017
    1. Is it possible that kenny is still alive in the wellington/alone endings?
    2. Kennys hat?
    3. What was the reasoning for kenny/jane dying so early on in the season, seemingly making the endings from season 2 not really matter?
    4. Why was the gabentine option available for only the jane enders from season 2? and why was it only an occurence in the result of gabes determent death?
  • [removed]

Batteries posted: »

If you guys could go back and change one thing about ANF, what would it be an why?

• Bro, rope is greater than bullets did you forget?

* Why did Jane use a rope to commit suicide? Why not use a bullet to the head which is a way more efficient and painless way to off yourself

• Are you serious?

Not really. I just wanted the same confirmation Lee got even though it's obvious, as I said

My main question is the wellington one.

AronDracula posted: »

Is Luke dead 100%? (I would like this confirmed so I can put away my conspiracy theories) Are you serious? Stop pretending you didn'

1. Why was Conrad the one determinate character who can die multiple times, and was already dead for the mass majority, but can also survive the whole season, is the character who lives through the whole season if saved, but characters like Tripp and Ava just die fucking 5 mins after they appear after their first determinate death, and huge fan favorite characters who were BEGGED to not be killed right away in the first episode, Kenny and Jane, just fucking die. Did Conrad only get to live through the whole season because we complained how stupid determinate characters were getting because all they do is just die, but then do the same old thing with Tripp and Ava?

2. Why did Javi suddenly become Bisexual, in a 2 second scene, 5 minutes before the game ends and probably never see him again? The fact that through the whole season Javi can only flirt with Kate and Eleanor in episode 1, to suddenly also find out hes Bisexual AFTER the whole drama of Kate and David love triangle that was heavily forced down our throats, felt extremely out of place that NOW Javi decides to "expand" his interest. Javi being Bi is perfectly fine, but why was it at the very last second of the game? If anything it feels more like you guys were too scared to even make a LGBT protagonist but wanted to shove it in last second for the representation instead of having it from the start of the season so you wouldnt have to handle any social issues.

• Why was Eleanor in the story? I felt like she had no purpose in the story whatsover.

She was actually one of the most useful characters in the story.

Telltale please answer my questions below: * Will Clementine's story continue with a couple of episode in A New Frontier DLC or a Seaso

• Will clem be the main playable character of future games?

• edited June 2017

[removed]

• [removed]

• Is anyone planning to ask about more s2 flashbacks?

• J'ai joué en mettant en anglais total après 20 minutes de jeu à cause de cela XD

Tuyres posted: »

First of all, my english might not be perfect, as this isn't my native language, sorry for that. (Even if I think it is still pretty underst

• #NeverForgetCaprikorn

bloop posted: »

Never forget... Why would you cut it?!

• it's weird to see someone this young with the name

Uhh... to become an old man, one must first be a child.

Exactly! It wouldn't bother me if they didn't come from a cuban family, but if they are from a spanish speaking country, one would expect th

• Hey how ya doing? I enjoyed Episode 5 greatly. I hope this hasn't been asked yet, but my question(s) relates to some what ifs and possibilities for the finale.

Were their any planned endings where David, Gabe, AND Kate survived? Tripp (my man) or Ava surviving? Would there have been any plans for clear closure to say, Max, Clint, and/or Joan? Max kind of disappeared, maybe he showed up I don't know, but I let him live and he was gone after Episode 3.

Okay I'll cheat and ask another, little question: How did the idea for the bulldozer come about?

Hope this isn't too much, thanks for your work! May not have been perfect, but that's the way the world is.

• edited June 2017

Oh boy, this is going to be a fun time for the writers... having to sift through all these negative comments of which they know they can't answer. Ouch.
    I feel bad for them.

But, at least this does put some of the problems people had with this season out into the open for correction in future series.

....just a stray thought.

"Sorry, guys! We're just very, very passionate fans!"

• Gaby (yeah im done calling him gabe) was 9 at the begining of the apocalypse (2003), meaning he was born in 1994. In 2017, he would be 23. Pretty young, really. 20 years younger than the youngest person I know called Gabriel.

AChicken posted: »

it's weird to see someone this young with the name Uhh... to become an old man, one must first be a child.

• We got no Season 2 flashbacks. Some were more 2.5 flashbacks.

But Season 2 flashbacks, those'd be very nice ;.;

Is anyone planning to ask about more s2 flashbacks?

• edited June 2017

First of all, i just want to say thanks for not killing Lingard off in ep. 5 and that we got to briefly talk to him! I was afraid we wouldn't see him or, even worse, that he would randomly get killed. Also, I personally liked ANF more than s2! Plus, I don't know how you guys did it, but despite me hating David 100% I still somehow cried the most at his death this season. Weird how that happened, huh?

Does/did Dr. Lingard have a crush on David at all? I and many others on another site think so. I mean, he's one of the very few people that 100% had David's back and the way he talked about him in ep. 4.... If yes, did David know? If he did, how did he react?

To expand upon my last AMA question, you guys said David was Lingard's sponsor for his drug problem, but in order to be a sponsor that person had to be an ex-addict themselves, according to the definition. So, is it true then that David is an ex-addict? What was it?

What happened between David and his first wife that caused them to get divorced?

What was Kate's and Joan's job before the apocalypse?

I know you probably can't say anything regarding this, but I and many others really hope Joan/Clint weren't completely forgotten by you guys since they weren't in ep. 5 at all (not counting the pictures). It would be such a waste to not see them again.

So what was the order of the Richmond council finding each other? AKA who found who first?

Does Lingard (if he was kept alive, of course) know about David's fate in ep. 5?

• edited June 2017

Im sorry if 3 questions is too much but here are mine.
    1: Will Max ever shown up again?
    2: What happened to Clint and Joan after episode 4?
    3: Will we see Richmond again in a later DLC/game?

• edited June 2017

Can we have a mini series with molly or lilly as the main playable character?

• edited June 2017

Hello from the United Kingdom! Thank you very much for doing one of these, I love reading people's questions and your answers! I don't know if that has been mentioned, but I got a question about a certain lovely southerner from the second season.

Luuuuuuke

enter image description here

In the 'create a story' menu, you can list Luke as being the biggest influence on Clementine out of the three 'guardians' listed. Kenny, Jane and Luke were all huge characters in season two - hell, people still argue about Jane and Kenny to this day - but lovely Luke doesn't seem to get remembered by Clementine. At least, he doesn't get mentioned in my game, I could just be missing a certain combination of things I have to do! But, at least in the three or four playthroughs of the season I've done so far, I haven't heard Clementine talk about Luke once in the 'present timeline'/

To me, this is a bit of an issue, because in my playthrough of season two, I sidled up to Luke as I firmly believed that Clementine having a big brother figure - and, later, a big sister figure in Jane - was really good for her. That being said, besides a handful of dialogue and two flashbacks - one of which upsets my greatly, still - her 'big sister' is more or less forgotten, and Luke suffers an even worse fate - he can only be mentioned once, in an optional flashback, and even then that's just this exchange:

Jane - Y'know, he does need a middle name. His parents ... they never got the chance.
    Clementine - You think?
    Jane - Go on. Pick one. No time like the present.
    Clementine - How 'bout ... Luke!
    Jane - Uh-uhm ... yea, sure. Luke. Whatever.

That's not really... the same thing. It's a very uncomfortable piece of dialogue that doesn't do the character justice, to me. He was so important in Season Two! He's one of the first new survivors we met, along with Pete, and yet now - besides Alvin Junior - they're all dead and forgotten. Which really upsets me, despite the fact Clementine wouldn't have known them for very long, as I honestly love season two to bits - I might go as far as saying I prefer it to season one, in many regards. But I'm rambling!

My question, in a nutshell, can be broken into three very similar - but pretty small! - questions:

Has Telltale forgotten about Luke?

Why wasn't he mentioned in A New Frontier, despite being able to list him as Clementine's "influence" because of his compassion, cooperation or trust?

Does Clementine miss him as much as I do? ._.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to ask you a question - or, um, in my case, three. While 'A New Frontier' was definitely not my favourite season, I'm still pretty curious about stuff and things, and I'm interested in what's next for The Walking Dead. I really hope you can answer my questions, and I wish you all the best ^ _ ^

• Why did you decide to leave AJ's fate on a cliffhanger instead of resolving it in the finale?

• U no wot eye meen m8

Lilacsbloom posted: »

We got no Season 2 flashbacks. Some were more 2.5 flashbacks. But Season 2 flashbacks, those'd be very nice ;.;

• edited June 2017

Hello, and thanks for doing this AMA...I have a few questions and an observation or two. * We know there are always rewrites in a Tellt

• [removed]

ralo229 posted: »

Why did you decide to leave AJ's fate on a cliffhanger instead of resolving it in the finale?

• I remember at E3 2016, it was said that 400 Days would have a more significant impact on Season 3 than the previous season, why wasn't this the case? Also, will we ever see the 400 Days protagonist again or is their story over?

• I have a question; don't you think it's pretty cheap they are reusing the Caretaker/child thing from season 1? Why couldn't they have Clementine have her own adventure?

Also, was Rebecca schizophrenic? When she first met Clementine she wanted her to die and you could be really rude to her but all of a sudden she is your bff and you take care of her offspring?

• I get it it's hard to keep determinant characters alive, but why did you do this cheap death to Ava? I know, not everyone get to die heroic but it felt stupid. And the others after seeing her die were just like "Meh, k... She was a great soldier. Lets move on".

Why we didn't see what happened to Max if we spare him, to Joan/Clint?

The choices screen is buggy. Me and I believe other people have problem in seeing their Clementine. I can't find it anywhere on the choices screen. I've scrolled all episodes and possible screens. Why don't you address issues like this?

And for the next seasons/DLC or whatevers, please take your time, don't rush it. I would like to wait a month more and have 30 minutes more of playtime, than having 60-70 minutes long episodes.

• Yeah, if anything, we barely saw her because she was too useful. Kinda like Carley and maybe Carlos, actually.

Fangirl101 posted: »

Why was Eleanor in the story? I felt like she had no purpose in the story whatsover. She was actually one of the most useful characters in the story.

• Actually, Hector was supposed to be their step-brother. There was originally a sister named Anita.

HammyShow posted: »

Were there some character redesigns for Gabe and Mariana? They look really close in age in flashbacks and even in current times. It seems li

• He was confirmed to be 10 when the apocalypse happened. Javi also says that he is 14 years old when you choose "Back off, David."

Gaby (yeah im done calling him gabe) was 9 at the begining of the apocalypse (2003), meaning he was born in 1994. In 2017, he would be 23. Pretty young, really. 20 years younger than the youngest person I know called Gabriel.

• Hmm. Anything, eh...? :smirk:

dojo32161 posted: »

AMA(What does that even mean?) It stands for "Ask Me Anything"

• Hector was supposed to be their step-brother

Oops! Yea, that's what I meant ;)

DabigRG posted: »

Actually, Hector was supposed to be their step-brother. There was originally a sister named Anita.

• I really dont get why she got a comedic death. I mean it was slapstick

Hey, Adam and Alyssa! Thanks for taking the time to participate in this Ask Me Anything. These have—mostly—been a pleasant activity that

• Well, a little difference. He's still too young.

Fangirl101 posted: »

He was confirmed to be 10 when the apocalypse happened. Javi also says that he is 14 years old when you choose "Back off, David."

This discussion has been closed.