The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• I thought it was 5 years, since Clem is 14 now? Or is she 13?

No he was 10 according to the math. If he's 14 during the actual game itself, and it's been 4 years since the start (per Kate's "people have

• Yes, it months after he turned 10. Like Clem was 8 but now she's 13.

No he was 10 according to the math. If he's 14 during the actual game itself, and it's been 4 years since the start (per Kate's "people have

• Also it's confirmed he was 9

• Why don't you have the whole story written since the begining?

If Javier was raised by cuban parents, why doesn't he have cuban accent, yet randomly speaks spanish sometimes?

Also why no one pronunces the Garcías' names right? Gabe and David specially. We don't say Gabe, we say Gaby. It's weird. Specially for a child.

Can Javier have a boyfriend please?

Clem's new haircut. Why?

And what happened to the hubs and the pace?

Why so much action?

How do you develop your characters? Not trying to be mean, I'm just really curious. How does the character chart looks like? What is the minimum of pages you dedicate to each character?

Why do your stories last a week or so?

Gabentine. Why?

Why are the episodes so short?

How did the idea of Javier start?

Slaughterhouse. Anything. Please.

What are your inspirations? What music do the writers listen to?

What is the message of the game? I mean, besides family and stuff.

How long did it take to write the whole story?

• So many passive aggressive questions... :p

• Can you guys go a bit more in depth with regards to Clementine's new look: the inspiration, reasoning, and maybe describe some styles/concepts that were on the table before you reached your conclusion? Thanks in advance and thanks for the new season!

• edited June 2017

When Clem first meets Ava Ava asks how old Clem is and guesses 13. Clem doesn't correct her so the best we can do is assume she was 13 at that time. We don't know how much time passed between then and when Javi met her though. We know Clem got kicked out of NF pretty quickly because AJ doesn't look any older compared to how he looked when Clem and Ava met and Clem hasn't changed since then either so I'd imagine it's been no more than 6 months from the time she met Ava to the time she met Javi, which means Clem could be 13 or 14. The consensus is that she's 14 but there's no hard evidence of anything.

I thought it was 5 years, since Clem is 14 now? Or is she 13?

• God I always hate these AMA's. Not because of the responses we get, but because I can never come up with a good question to ask, and any that I can think of have already been asked by someone else. Alright, let's give this a try:

• Do you think having somewhere between 7-8 writers on an episode can be detrimental or beneficial to the episode's development and quality?
    • Why was there no playable Clem segment in Episode 5, especially considering how you had a S1 flashback planned for the episode?
    • Was there ever a moment where Telltale's upper management struck down some of your creative decisions that may have caused some big changes to the game itself?
    • Were you expecting the type of backlash that you got from how you handled the S2 endings?
    • Why appeal to newcomers with your third entry in the series, especially when S2 pretty much required you to play S1?
    • Many people say that, with ANF, you strayed too far away from your roots and what made S1 so successful, such as longer episodes, more hubs and interaction with characters, and light puzzle solving. What is your response to that?
    • One of the reasons why I didn't understand the Clem and Gabe romance was because we never saw Clem and Gabe truly interact in a romantic sense, and Clem's sudden shift in behavior towards Gabe to a possible romantic interest seemed out of left field to me. Can you explain to me the thought process and development of Clem and Gabe's relationship, from a writer's standpoint, that would justify Clem developing these feelings for him?
    • Why is there not a way for Conrad to determinantly die in Episode 5?
  • I cant stop myself.
    My qts is:
    ANY NEWS WHATS NEXT? SEASON 4 OR DLC? IF SO, WHEN? :'(

• That's actually one of the things I thought happened to him. :lol:

joan threw max into the janitors closet and now she made him clean all the toilets and shit

• Hello there, Mr. Adam and Ms. Alyssa. This is actually my 2nd AMA(What does that even mean?), tho I'm not quite sure what to say. But I'll try to come up with a few things:
    What was Kate's life like before marrying David?

What was Tripp's exact job description in Prescott and what did he do before the outbreak?

What happened to Conrad's kid and is she someone we know?

Did Huh-chick(the woman on the bar stairway) have any notable relation to Eli?

Did Dr. Lingard have his own soldiers/underlings like David, Clint, and Joan did?

If you don't mind me asking, how many major rewrites did this Installment undergo before we wrapped up with From the Gallows?

• edited June 2017

Yes.

Are the questions in AMAs usually answered?

• edited June 2017

Will the Wellington Kenny timeline get acknowledgement? Like, even if we never see him, do you guys feel you might acknowledge the possibility that he's alive in-game?

Less serious:

Is Luke dead 100%? (I would like this confirmed so I can put away my conspiracy theories)

^ super obvious, like Lee, but would nice to get confirmation like Lee did on twitter.

Can you guys Javier a nice bf in season 4? ;) ( I would love to see Javier as Clem's sidekick in season 4)

• Now I don't think adam and alyssa would be able to answer all these questions in one hour so rip

• Not all of them. I imagine questions that specifically ask for spoilers will just be ignored.

Are the questions in AMAs usually answered?

• edited June 2017

Were there some character redesigns for Gabe and Mariana? They look really close in age in flashbacks and even in current times. It seems like there was only supposed to be a year difference, but Javi specifically says Mariana was 10 when she died and Gabe is supposedly 14, which puts Gabe at 10 and Mariana at 6 in the flashbacks. Mariana looks and acts considerably older than 6 in the flashbacks. Idk many 6 year old girls that are barely smaller than their 10 yr old brother. That's a huge growth period for kids.

They were supposed to be cousins (kinda same ages) in the first place, not siblings, and Salvador's kids were supposed to be David (Gabe's dad), Javier and Hector (Mari's dad). But Telltale decided to scrap that idea and made them (Gabe and Mari) as siblings instead and Hector to be Salvador's brother (David's and Javier's uncle). So maybe that's why.

Overall I enjoyed this season. Worth the full price buy. Feel free to answer any or all of these. I'd prefer all lol * I've heard that

• Also why no one pronunces the Garcías' names right? Gabe and David specially

I think this is how you pronounce their names supposedly:

David; daa-veed or dah-veed
    aa/ah as in 'car'
    ee as in 'see'

Gabriel; gah-bree-ehl (just like how David called him in game)
    ah as in 'car'
    ee as in 'see'
    eh as in 'pet'

Why don't you have the whole story written since the begining? If Javier was raised by cuban parents, why doesn't he have cuban accent, y

• edited June 2017

Bud, Luke and Lee are gone. Sorry to break it to you, but this part doesn't really merit an answer from Telltale. I want to know about Wellington Kenny though.

ladypocky posted: »

Will the Wellington Kenny timeline get acknowledgement? Like, even if we never see him, do you guys feel you might acknowledge the possibili

• Is Kenny officially done? I'm afraid of the answer. Rip it off fast, like a band aid.
    How long do you think we'll be waiting to see Clementine again?

• Why was David handled so poorly in episode 5?

I supported David throughout the game and i always rejected Kate but he fights you no matter what. It really makes it feel like there's ZERO reward for being his bro so you might as well just romance Kate since it doesn't change the outcome at all.

Overall i thought the season was okay but I'm disappointed with the last episode. I think you can do better.

• That would explain it. Thank you.

HammyShow posted: »

Were there some character redesigns for Gabe and Mariana? They look really close in age in flashbacks and even in current times. It seems li

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I know San Diego Comic Con is coming up in July and both season 2 and season 3 where announced there so i will be watching that event closely.

Chibikid posted: »

Well I am hopeful for future summer events now.

• edited June 2017

To number 4, someone worked out what influences Clem's decision in Ep5, what she does when David and Gabe split. It's all determined by what you do with her during a couple of her flashback scenes. The first variable is when you meet Ava. Whether you decide to go with her or not is the first variable. The second and third are during the flashback to when Clem is stealing meds for AJ. The variables here are if you inject AJ or put the meds back, and if you spit in David's face or if you say goodbye to AJ. The options are she goes where Javi goes, she goes wherever Javi doesn't go, she goes after Gabe regardless of what Javi does, or she goes with Kate regardless of what Javi does. For some of the results, whoever made that forgot to add all three variables so you have to do some deductive reasoning and comparisons to the other entries to figure it out but I've used this guide and it worked for me. [https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWalkingDeadGame/comments/6efwgg/spoilers_how_to_influence_clems_final_decision/](Here's a Reddit link for that.) I'm pretty sure the shooting David is determined by if she kills Kenny or not in Season 2. I killed Kenny and Clem shoots David every time no matter what I do with her in Season 3. I have no idea what determines if she kisses, hugs, or holds hands with Gabe. My Clem kissed him and I almost threw up.

TheDerpGod posted: »

Questions, oh yes... 1: After pistol whipping Lonnie, why did Javier just throw gun? 2: Do you hate David? He's only alive in one endi

• edited June 2017

I am aware. Lee being dead was confirmed on twitter. Just would like Luke confirmation on all variants too even tho its obvious.

I don't expect any of my questions answered, really. I couldn't think of any good ones. I just miss Luke and Kenny and want best for Javier :(

TrashJesus posted: »

Bud, Luke and Lee are gone. Sorry to break it to you, but this part doesn't really merit an answer from Telltale. I want to know about Wellington Kenny though.

• Plot Twist: Lee was her actual father but he didn't know it. Lee and his not yet wife were fighting and he and Clem's mom met in a bar one night when coincidentally she and "Clem's dad" were having a fight, before they got married. One drink led to another and they ended up banging without ever getting each other's names. 9 months later out popped Clem and it was fate that even though he had no idea he was her real father, Lee found her after the world went to hell.

* What was the whole reason behind the forced love triangle? * Are we ever gonna see Javi again? I'd love to see more of him, even as an NP

• edited June 2017
    1. Does Prescott have a leader? What is the population 123 people?

2. What exactly does Jane tell, do, or influence Clem to kiss Gabe?

3. Does Clem forget the deal with Javi, the van and supplies?

4. Does the bracelet that Clem wears has a backstory? Clem tends to have keep sake from every character that she comes by. Is the bracelet one of those? Who is it?

5. Is the Clem that we see in season 3 the manifestation of the upbringing of Christa? If so, then Christa overbearing influence on her would make NF Clem make sense, in the sense that her personality is generally set in most play-though because she is acting as the longest cannon mother figure that she knows. She takes what she needs, doesn't really like groups, strong mouthed, and harden, which are all traits that we see from Christa.

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

For example, we can't answer any questions about what "Clementine's story will continue" means.

AdamRoberts posted: »

I cant stop myself. My qts is: ANY NEWS WHATS NEXT? SEASON 4 OR DLC? IF SO, WHEN?

• Thank you. It means a lot for me.

i'll make a free pass for questions about our holy messiah

• What is/are the episode(s) you guys had fun making?

• Who destroyed Wellington? New Frontier or not?

• edited June 2017

1)Where did Clem learn how to drive a motorcycle? Did Kenny / Jane teach her?
    2) Was Tripp the leader of Prescott or was he some sort of sceriff?
    3) In episode 3, did Conrad apologize to Clem off-screen in the quarantine zone for what he did earlier in the tunnel? Is that why Clem isn't so mad about it with him or Javier?
    Thank you for this season, and for this AMA , I've made you some fanarts to show you my gratitude!
    enter image description here
    Do you guys like it?
    enter image description here
    And here's Clementine. Let me know what you think and thanks again for the AMA

• Episode 5: Is the city under the highway suppose to be flooded?

• edited June 2017

Was Mariana always supposed to die? Or did you have plans for her character?

Why was Eleanor's redemption arc scrapped? Can you tell us more about her past?

What did Conrad do before the outbreak? How did he meet Tripp and Eleanor?

Javier has the New Frontier mark on his neck in the first trailer. Was he supposed to be a New Frontier member in early stages or he was going to receive the mark at some point?

Will there be an extra episode that shows us what happens during the 3 day timeskip?

What was the game's original plot/story?

• Is Luke dead 100%? (I would like this confirmed so I can put away my conspiracy theories)

Are you serious? Stop pretending you didn't see him die. He is 100% dead. This is a reason why he was nowhere to be found in ANF and will never be in the future installments.

ladypocky posted: »

Will the Wellington Kenny timeline get acknowledgement? Like, even if we never see him, do you guys feel you might acknowledge the possibili

• Telltale please answer my questions below:

• Will Clementine's story continue with a couple of episode in A New Frontier DLC or a Season 4?
    • What happened to Lonnie, Max, Clint and Joan?
    • Why was Eleanor in the story? I felt like she had no purpose in the story whatsoever.
    • What happened to Randy, Patricia and Gill in Jane's flashback? Did Jane kill one of them? Were the family New Frontier?
    • Lastly did the New Frontier attack Wellington?
  • If you guys could go back and change one thing about ANF, what would it be an why?

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

AMA(What does that even mean?)

It stands for "Ask Me Anything"

DabigRG posted: »

Hello there, Mr. Adam and Ms. Alyssa. This is actually my 2nd AMA(What does that even mean?), tho I'm not quite sure what to say. But I'll t

• edited June 2017

What did Conrad do before the outbreak? How did he meet Tripp and Eleanor?

Stuff like this could’ve been answered through the use of hubs like S1 did.

cough telltale
    Fangirl101 posted: »

Was Mariana always supposed to die? Or did you have plans for her character? Why was Eleanor's redemption arc scrapped? Can you tell us m

• At the Wellington ending of season 2, we see Kenny goes away and we never see him again. So where is Kenny? Are we just going to assume he's dead or will we ever see him again?

This discussion has been closed.