The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Spoiler-friendly AMA

Comments

• Continue Clementine's story! She will contribute so much to the plot! /s

Slaughterhouse DLC confirmed. Brand new 5 minute long Clementine's flashback included. Only for 19.99$.

• I love how you like dropped the mic at the end LOL

* What in the world happened to Max? Fell off the face of the earth? * I remember during (pre release) crowdplay staff specifically said "

• Hey guys thank you for doing another AMA, especially this quick after the finale. (I waffle on quite a bit so answering just one question would be fine). So down to the questions;

• There were quite a lot of variations for the endings in Ep5, ranging from Clems trust in Javier to who ends up living in your ending. How was the thought process for these variations? Were they planned mid-season to be a big thing for the finale? Or possibly thought even before or later? This player uniqueness (especially with the whole 'Your Clem Became' thing) has me hoping to see if this will have a greater impact for Clems attitudes in the future season to come.

• I was a really big fan of David's character, so when I saw both David's and Kate's plans following the chaos at Richmond had me confused, was this to show that David was somewhat a hypocrite and mirrored what Javi had tried to improve about himself in the flashbacks? I'm also sad that my relationship with David, no matter how heartfelt and loyal I was to him, he saw me as a rival to him in the end. Was David always intended to be a inflexible/unchangeable character? I wanted to see a moment of catharsis with him and Javier, but it seems like David's doomed himself for no return. It ponders whether David can only have redemption when he becomes a martyr, interesting.

• There are a lot of homages to S1 in Ep5 alone, the helicopter sequence reminiscent to scaling across to The Marsh House, Gabe's bite wound similar to Lee's, Javi covering himself with walker guts as well as the other episodes with Clem biting a apple etc. Were most of these pure coincidence or was this a way of paying tribute to 5 years since S1?

• edited June 2017

I know everyone working on New Frontier was working hard and I appreciate that, but I'm sorry to say this season disappointed me.

My question is: Why was Clem all of a sudden attached to Gabe in episode 5? In the previous episodes, she only goes to him to calm him down. That AND she finds relationships gross in both Ep.1 and 2 now all of a sudden she's up for one. A lot of fans find their relationship cringe worthy and i can agree. It was way out of character for Clem to act the way she did in the finale.

Sorry for sounding too harsh. Thanks again for an AMA!

• i'll make a free pass for questions about our holy messiah

Does that mean I can't ask Telltale if they reckon Kenny as our Lord and Saviour? And when will he return in future seasons?

• Thanks for taking the time to do this AMA.
    Seeing as though many people have already asked what I wanted to, my question is:
    Can you tell us about a scene/idea from episode 4 and/or 5 that didn't make it into the final cut?

• edited June 2017

why does wellington not matter I mean three was no 2nd flashbacks and Kenny's hat didn't matter. Also can you guys give us more Clem flashbacks with all 4 S2 endings in the next instalment. I know this has nothing to do with the walking dead but I'm going to ask it anyway why no news on Game of Thrones season 2 it's been over a year yet you bring a 2nd season to MCSM it's not been a whole year since it ended
    anyway I know you not going to reply but Thanks for a great season of ANF it was a great season IMO and I hope you guys the best of luck for whatever comes next.

THANK YOU

• I know you guys can't outright say it, but is there a chance that unknown characters from Season 1 and 2 can make a return in future installments?

• Can we expect to see the comics incorporated into the game more in the future?

• Was there ever something that was cut from the game that you wish was left in?

• Favorite moment from ANF?

• With so many different endings to From the Gallows, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about how they will be handled in the future. Don't get me wrong, I love having multiple endings. It adds a ton of replay value and makes me feel like choices actually matter. However, as I'm sure you guys are well aware of, the handling of the multiple Season 2 endings this season garnered some negative feedback. Will our endings this season affect the future in a meaningful way? Also, thank you for keeping Conrad alive!

• Finally, on behalf of the community, I just need to know....What can you tell us about the Slaughterhouse?

You guys did a great job this season as always! I can't wait to see what the future holds.

• Well, considering they can kiss determinately, yeah.

Hi. So er, does Clem actually like Gabe in a romantic way?

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

Hi. So er, does Clem actually like Gabe in a romantic way?

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2017

Thou art but a recalcitrant w'rdsmith! doth thy eyes not clearly distinguish "polite" from "exquisite shakespearean prose"? bah, such folly, i sayeth

update the question into something more politely worded if you want. How cometh ava's death wast writ in such a distemperate mann'r? t's a joketh dont killeth me

• Question:
    Do team members who work on TWD have strong opinion regarding how this series should end?

Explanation:
    I and many others fans are worried what you might decide to end series with main protagonist (Clementine) death, we really hope that you will come up with something better than that for the finale. It may sound silly but we got really attached to Clementine after all these years together, watching her grow up.
    I know you cannot give me much information so at least I would want to know do TWD team members have plans for the finale already or you kind of figure stuff out as you go.

Thank you for amazing 5 years, looking forward to new Season\DLC!

• I thought Gabe was the one obsessed with pudding?

• That would be so cute

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

I thought Gabe was the one obsessed with pudding?

• Did Javi ever come out of the closet? What would David's reaction be?

• edited June 2017

I think he was just saying that to be an asshole.

"They have-honest to God-real pudding!" -Gabe Garcia 2016

That and his picture they put on the memorial was him eating pudding.

Plus Javi doesn't open the pudding in Episode 1. It was either Gabe or Mari who did that.

• "We haven't forgotten about the hat"

• I don't know if this can be answered, but will we be able to play as Javier in the future as well? I hope this is not the last we see of him.

• 1-Why didn't you guys stick to the original story
    2-why did u guys make clem so heartless....like when ava died I made sure clem was a friend to her but when she dies she never even blinked she immediately moved on??????
    3-what are your response to the big youtubers criticisms?
    4-why was this season the shortest telltale game u have ever made? I'm curious just all
    5-will we ever even have a chance to see a familiar charecter again
    6-why didn't you guys make this season like tales style and make Javiers n clems playtime even?
    7-do you regret doing something about this season?
    8-was making gabes death the saddest death in anf intentional for gabentine haters?
    9-why didn't we see charecters cry tears this season? I get it that they must move on but come on if I loose someone I know I would grieve for weeks.
    And that's it....hopefully my questions weren't offensive and if so I apologize I'm just an angry fan wanting the best for its company and thank u guys for making this AMA

• In your honest opinion, what's the biggest regret/missed opportunity you guys had for this season? Is there anything that you wish had been done better/differently?

Also, feel free to not respond to this next part, but it's something I would personally like to get out there and hope you guys at least see this:

Many people fell in love with this series because of all the great characters and wonderful development during Season One. I feel like some involved with the newer installments don't understand that the thing that makes people care about this franchise is its heart, something that seems to keep slowly drifting away. I know that I am far from an expert when it comes to game development, but I truly think that Telltale has to rediscover some heart for future seasons/episodes of TWD. When you watch a playthrough of Season One on YouTube, the players are clearly attached to the characters and when presented with certain scenarios or character deaths, there are strong emotions there. With A New Frontier, those same people who cared so much in S1 now react more with "What?"s and "Really?"s and "Oh, whatever"s. People had strong feelings over the deaths of Kenny and Jane in A New Frontier, but those emotions were of anger at the developers for what they had done - not at all like the utter sadness we felt for Lee. With Lee, we were engrossed in the game and understood that it was his time to pass in the story. Season One was a magical experience that was more than just a game. Anyone involved with the future of this series should look back at Season One and try their best to understand why that game was so special. Maybe nothing can ever really top it, but please... try to.

I'm sorry for leaving such a long statement there, but I feel like my comments echo what a lot of people are feeling and thinking at the moment. Thank you for taking the time to do this AMA. I'm hoping for nothing but the best when it comes to the future of Telltale's Walking Dead.

• edited June 2017

Is it possible we'll see the St. John brothers again in the future if you didn't kill them?

• Overall I enjoyed this season. Worth the full price buy. Feel free to answer any or all of these. I'd prefer all lol

1. I've heard that the story was rewritten after the first two episodes released. Is this true and if so, why?

2. Officially, how many variations of the ending are there?

3. You may not be able to answer this one, but regarding Season 4, will Javi and his surviving family suffer the same fate as Kenny and Jane? That is to say, killed off (in less than satisfying ways) for the sake of course correcting the story into a single season starting narrative? (Please don't do that again. Regardless of why, it came across as lazy)

4. Why are we pigeonholed into certain situations with no way to avoid them? For example, all the conflict with Badger and Max etc in episodes 1 and 2 and then being made into the bad guy in episode 3 when meeting Joan and Clint. No matter if Javi did everything the best possible way, he's still painted as common bandit as if no one cares about facts. Also the fight with David. You can side with him 100%, shut Kate down at every turn, and he will still lose his mind and attack you because she wanted to leave him. Another example is killing Lingard. There's no option to leave him to turn so it looks like suicide or an accidental overdose, thus making it look like you straight up murdered him for funsies.

5. Was Javi being bi a last second addition? I ask because it was very poorly handled if it was always planned. There was no indication he was bi throughout the entire game (Flashbacks would have been a perfect place to plant that seed) and then suddenly he pays a couple compliments to Jesus, Jesus flirts with him, and that's supposed to mean he's bi? I honestly didn't even pick up on it. I didn't learn until I read it on Reddit and someone linked the official TT employee comment stating Javi is canonically bi.

6. Why do you always kill the really likable characters. RIP Tripp and Ava, most likable characters excluding Javi and Clem.

7. Who was Hector to David and Javi? The wiki says he was their uncle, their father's brother, but there's nothing in game to indicate what his actual relation was and he didn't really look old enough to be their uncle.

8. Were there some character redesigns for Gabe and Mariana? They look really close in age in flashbacks and even in current times. It seems like there was only supposed to be a year difference, but Javi specifically says Mariana was 10 when she died and Gabe is supposedly 14, which puts Gabe at 10 and Mariana at 6 in the flashbacks. Mariana looks and acts considerably older than 6 in the flashbacks. Idk many 6 year old girls that are barely smaller than their 10 yr old brother. That's a huge growth period for kids.

9. What is the deal with the polaroids on the board at the end? All of them look like they were taken pre-z, David grilling, for instance, but the kids are clearly their death ages in their photos which means those couldn't have been taken pre-z.

10. Are you hiring writers? I don't know the first thing about making models or coding but I can write the hell out of a story lol.

• They aren't going to answer anything that doesn't relate to Season 3.

Moonboy123 posted: »

Is it possible we'll see the St. John brothers again in the future if you didn't kill them?

• Oh, my bad.

They aren't going to answer anything that doesn't relate to Season 3.

• Questions, oh yes...

1: After pistol whipping Lonnie, why did Javier just throw gun?

2: Do you hate David? He's only alive in one ending, and even he can be kicked out. Even if he isn't, he doesn't show up at the END.

3: How come episode 1, 4, and 5, (maybe more) were rewritten?

4: What determines where Clem goes in finale and if she shoots david, and if she hugs, kisses, or holds hands with Gabe?

5: is it a plausible theory that Tripp could survive by falling into the river on highway, and after shot, he looks like he's getting up.

6: is ANF a spinoff game with Clem in to ease players into it, to make a series on Javier, and one for Clem?

7: Is Reggie secretly alive?

8: can we have a season where you can change your appearal? Like in TFTB?

• Gabe actually 13.

Overall I enjoyed this season. Worth the full price buy. Feel free to answer any or all of these. I'd prefer all lol * I've heard that

• They will stop when comics stop.

Delinx posted: »

Question: Do team members who work on TWD have strong opinion regarding how this series should end? Explanation: I and many others fans

• he is fourteen, confirmed at the beginning of episode five in determinant dialogue.

TheDerpGod posted: »

Gabe actually 13.

• WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh yeah he was 9 when apocolypse started and Clem was 8.

he is fourteen, confirmed at the beginning of episode five in determinant dialogue.

• I find it odd that the Jane ending seems to cause her to kiss Gabe but also shoot Javi, she's the most sentimental and aggressive in that path???

KaiMaestro posted: »

Another thing i wanna ask is: I heard Jane's ending in season 2 causes Clementine to kiss Gabe in Gabe's death scene. But why is that. And if that is not the case where did clementine learn to kiss someone and be so sentimental in the first place?

• I think the final flashback scene may have been the deleted flashback to day one of the apocalypse where Clementine first meets Lee, it would've been really nice to be honest!

I want to first congratulate you on a solid season. You have built up a lot of hype for a Season 4. Here's a few questions. Answer that of w

• On top of that, I'd like to ask what happened to the former residents of Howe's, did they not try to retake it after escaping or did they all somehow die with none of them escaping?

Do writers feel to be restricted in writing when it comes to length of the episode? What happened to Max? Did you forget about him? Wh

• edited June 2017
    • In the very final scene of episode 5 we see Clementine backtracking to the episode 2's pit stop location where we meet Jesus, how close is she to getting to Mcarroll's Ranch?

• Do you think AJ has changed in any way from his time away from Clementine?, approximately long have they been separated exactly?

• For those that took Kenny's hat from Wellington and still have it, where exactly is it? in a bag? back pocket? left behind at Richmond?

• Is there a possibility of Clementine ever meeting Negan?

• edited June 2017
    • What was the whole reason behind the forced love triangle?
    • Are we ever gonna see Javi again? I'd love to see more of him, even as an NPC.
    • Are you guys gonna treat Gabe and Kate like you guys did with Kenny and Jane?
    • I love Javier, but I'm wondering: What was the process with creating his character? Was there anything that was changed about him before release?

EDIT: I forgot the big question! Can you tell us who Clementine's father is or will we see him in a future season? (Based on the fact you guys kinda alluded to Ed not being her dad in the last AMA)

• Dude, Javi looks so odd without it. Lol.

xXOldKingXx posted: »

Why give Javi the beard? Can we see Javi without the beard at some point?

• edited June 2017
    • What happened to the supposed multiple starting points for the game?
    • Why was it decided to kill off Kenny, Jane and Edith (along with the entirety of Wellington) in the first Clementine flashback? Did you not intend to show more of our endings and why didn't you just make these characters' fates unknown if you wanted to get rid of them, instead of killing them like all the fans were hoping you wouldn't do?
    • Why is the only decision that affects Clementine's behavior the Season 2 Ending decision?
    • Why do you continue to toss aside determinant characters despite making a great one?
    • How exactly do the choices from previous seasons affect the game and what are the reasons behind them?
    • Why do people with the Wellington ending lack a flashback in Episode 4 and a moment with Gabe and why does Edith not get any form of development?
    • Was Episode really 1 that huge that it had to be split into two? Because many pointed out that the combined length is similar to that of your usual episodes.
    • Why does Clementine have the exact same personality and end up meeting Ava at the exact same place and time she does despite the 4 different Season 2 endings?
    • Are you guys going to listen the criticisms of this season (and finally those of the previous season and spin-off) to ensure that Season 4 is a game that the fans can enjoy?
    • Also, on a less critical note, who was your favorite character this season and why?
    • What part of A New Frontier are you most proud of? Personally I applaud you guys on how you handled Conrad!

This season disappointed me but I'm still rooting for you guys, I know you try your hardest and put love into the game and in the end, can't control everything that is done to it, but I hope that this season's reception sparks a change in Telltale for the better.

• Firstly I just wanted to say that I LOVED this season and can't wait to see what you do next.

• Why did we never see Hector in a flashback after episode 1? Not only that but the Garcia's never actually talk about him.
    • Could you explain why David won't speak to Javier and Gabe in the ending where he lives and returns to Richmond? P.S David was my favorite!
    • Can you confirm what issues David and Kate's marriage had? Players are pretty divided on it and can't seem to agree on whether David was abusive or if they eventually just stopped getting along.
    • Can you give us any details on Mari and Gabe's biological mother? What was she like, how did Gabe, Mari and David feel about her and how did she die?
  • No he was 10 according to the math. If he's 14 during the actual game itself, and it's been 4 years since the start (per Kate's "people have been stashing all sorts of stuff in all sorts of places the last 4 years" comment at the junkyard in Ep1), then he was 10 at the start but honestly, he doesn't really seem 10 there. Likewise, Mariana seems to be older than 6. Maybe around 8.

TheDerpGod posted: »

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh yeah he was 9 when apocolypse started and Clem was 8.

• Are the questions in AMAs usually answered?

This discussion has been closed.