If Bruce had to choose between Harley or Selina..which lady would it be?

Comments

• Easy! Meow

• She looks really disappointed ...

Out of curiosity, this is what happens when you "friendzone" her.

• edited December 2017

The whole point of people creating video games, writing books, making movies, etc. is so that the player, reader, viewer etc. can leave their own lives and reality behind and enter the world they've created with their work.

• Not necessarily true. There are multiple reasons to create a game and multiple reasons to play. Not everyone has the same motivations. Someone might create a game just to prove they could, or because they had an idea they just couldn't get out of their heads.
    I don't play games and suddenly escape reality. It may be your reasoning, which there's nothing wrong with that, but that's not for everyone.

AnimalBoy posted: »

The whole point of people creating video games, writing books, making movies, etc. is so that the player, reader, viewer etc. can leave their own lives and reality behind and enter the world they've created with their work.

• edited December 2017

There sure isn't a point in playing a video game featuring grown adults dressing up like bats and cats fighting clowns, luchador junkies and a human snowman for the reality of it all. I think video games would lose all their purpose and enjoyment if they weren't used to escape reality.

GamerLady posted: »

Not necessarily true. There are multiple reasons to create a game and multiple reasons to play. Not everyone has the same motivations. Someo

• There is, the fact that its an interesting story and your curious as to how it plays out. And as someone who still has fun and doesn't escape reality for it I can tell you, your wrong.
    I don't even know how one would escape reality. That makes no sense to me. Do you just forget that it's a game while your playing? What do you even mean by that?

There sure isn't a point in playing a video game featuring grown adults dressing up like bats and cats fighting clowns, luchador junkies and

• edited December 2017

@GamerLady I honestly can't believe someone can't understand the concept of escaping reality through a video game or a book or a movie, etc. I have so many issues in real life, be it health issues or otherwise. When I play a video game, or watch a movie i'm able to forget about my own reality and my own real life problems for a little while and enjoy the movie or enjoy the game. If i did what you were suggesting and forgot that the game was a game then i'd be guilty of what i've been saying others are doing and taking the game too seriously.

These games, the movies i watch, etc. Are ways for me to forget my real life worries, to escape my reality.

• I see that when I suggest you separate Batman from reality, you respond with mentioning a dozen real world catastrophes that are of no relation to Batman. Not very encouraging. Nonetheless to answer your first question, we aren't saying and never have said that we see what Harley does as justified, we simply see the reason why she does what she does and understand it, at least partially. I don't know if I speak for everyone regarding this, but maybe it's also because we don't see the world and people living in it so black and white as you do. How can you say that "every single one of them was wrong to do so" yet then advocate death for a mentally deranged person because you thought he deserved it and wanted to see him pay? Most people who shoot up their school think just that, that the people who they're killing deserve it and that they're paying the price for the suffering they've caused them. You know what they do after they kill everyone they can? They kill themselves. They know what they've done and they can't cope with the guilt. Does their death make you happy? Do you think they deserved to die? Then you have something in common with them.

So on to the next topic, I don't think you fully understand that there is nobody in the real world like Batman and you simply cannot compare him to anyone who's been "rescued by the firefighters". That's why I'm saying it would be better to separate fiction from reality. As for people joining the police, the military.. why do you think so many joined after 9/11? They wanted payback. They wanted something bad to happen to the people behind the attacks. You commend them for that, saying they were noble, if idiots. But there are two sides to the spectrum - some people who lose someone dear to them in a violent way resort to committing a crime for the same reasons people join the military - payback. For instance, a father loses a daughter to a serial killer, tracks the killer down and murders him in a horrible way because the bastard would escape prison and punishment otherwise. Now, the killer isn't a mentally sick person, he's simply a rotten sadistic piece of shit. You'd surely say he deserved to die and suffer for what he did, right? Well you also said that everyone who commits a crime out of grief was wrong to do so. What do you choose now? What is justice? What do you do in your black and white world?

Sorry if I seem a bit over dramatic but I'd say stuff like this is the only way for me to get my point across.

ShampaFK posted: »

Oh good grief. Why does your camp have such a hard time understanding the concept of terrible X thing happening to a person does not justify

• Because to escape reality you would have to forget your playing a game. The reality of it is your playing a game. So it stands to reason that by escaping reality you forget your playing a game. There are multiple ways to go about forgetting about a problem you have without escaping reality through a game. It could be as simple as you have a horrible memory or that you were so busy with one problem you forget the other. It's not hard to believe someone doesn't get or understand your way of doing things. We all have different ways of doing things, which is my point. Your saying 'No, no. This is the way or it's not fun.' And that's just not true. I have fun, and I don't escape reality. I think your way of doing things is absolutely fine, but to assume I can't possibly have fun if I'm not doing it your way is just not true.

@GamerLady I honestly can't believe someone can't understand the concept of escaping reality through a video game or a book or a movie, et

• I feel like you completely misunderstood what he was trying to say.

Because to escape reality you would have to forget your playing a game. The reality of it is your playing a game. So it stands to reason tha

• Feel free to clarify.

HexIgon posted: »

I feel like you completely misunderstood what he was trying to say.

• I feel like you completely misunderstood what he was trying to say.

Agreed. I do exactly what he's describing and it's the major reason why I enjoy games, movies et cetera so much, basically good stories in any form. Just because you're not actively thinking something, your life in this case, doesn't mean you suddenly have amnesia and you've forgotten everything about yourself. It's more like a break, you're completely focused on something else. You must have heard about immersion in video games.

I understand that doesn't happen to everybody though.

• What I understood from the conversation:
    Game creators make games so people can escape reality. I disagree. I think that may be the case for some, but not all.
    I asked what he meant by 'escape reality.' He said he didn't understand how I couldn't possibly know that, so I explained how I wouldn't know.
    Looking back, I do think I may have misunderstood that maybe he wasn't saying 'if you don't than you can't have fun.' But for the rest of it I don't think I misunderstood.

lilsnek posted: »

I feel like you completely misunderstood what he was trying to say. Agreed. I do exactly what he's describing and it's the major rea

• edited December 2017

I agree with you completely. I can't believe that I left the forum for a day only to see this. The argument being presented by those who not only like what Harley does, but also who justify her actions, is that we should detach from reality when playing a game. Why? Telltale Games have taken a narrative-directed approach, giving the player the ability to make choices that affect how future events in the game or its sequels play out, effectively allowing players to craft their own personalized take on the offered story. They want you to make choices that reflects you as a person. They even allow you to see what other players chose afterwards. This isn't just for statistics.

With The Walking Dead: Season One, for instance, the decisions that you make in the moment have ripples that go throughout the entire adventure. You build relationships, you feel emotions, you make choices — that's what makes Telltale's games so endearing. There's a connection between you and the characters. Part of that connection comes from the excellent writing, where it has managed to be funny, tense, and scary, all at the right moments. They set us in their world and create such believable characters. Why are they believable? Because, we have seen and experienced it ourselves in real life. To say that we need to stop comparing a video game to real life to "understand easier", is untrue. I honestly can't believe that some people believe this. These games are immersive for a reason. Their games are simulations of real life in several aspects. The intense choices that come up, which alters events and relationships with characters. The emotional moments that are sad. You have had to make choices that were intense. You have had moments that were emotional, that were sad. Telltale is recreating these scenarios and telling a story.

This isn't a complicated idea. Telltale's games are immersive. They want to create relatable characters. How would those characters be relatable? They can only be relatable if it reflects someone in your life (yourself included). The want to create intense situations. Why would they be intense? Because we all have personally experienced extreme things. It's really that simple.

What I understood from the conversation: Game creators make games so people can escape reality. I disagree. I think that may be the case fo

• Yeah. There are several ways to enjoy a game and not escape reality. In fact, often times, games or movies and books can kind of remind you of what you've been through and or are going through. You might find a character that you can relate with and etc.
    I don't have a problem with the idea of 'escaping reality' to enjoy a game. It's just not how I am. I like seeing what people have written and just how creative they were with their characters, its natural to compare it to real life. That's not taking a game to seriously, as I've said several times, it's just giving your reasons as to why you like and dislike a character.
    And its a good writer that can make these characters believable and relatable. If they weren't than the writing would come off very dull and lifeless.

I agree with you completely. I can't believe that I left the forum for a day only to see this. The argument being presented by those who not

• And again, I agree with you completely. When a video game depicts real life events, the player is going to naturally feel emotions based on personal experiences. That's why people cried when Lee died. Why? Because, when you have suffered loss, you can feel the pain of Clementine. Even if you haven't suffered loss, you can still feel the pain of a child who just found out that she lost her parents, only to lose her caretaker a few minutes later. It's not "taking the game too seriously", as it has been suggested by others. As you said, if the writing wasn't believable and relatable, it would be dull and lifeless. Why was Life Is Strange critically acclaimed by people? Because, they can relate to the characters, whether that be Max, Chloe, or any of the others. It's a simple concept that shouldn't even need to be explained, but you know.

Yeah. There are several ways to enjoy a game and not escape reality. In fact, often times, games or movies and books can kind of remind you

• Indeed. Her facial expression in the batcave if you turn her down is quite something.

ManBat posted: »

She looks really disappointed ...

• GameLady and andrearnettbraun both explained very well why not all people separate Bruce (or TT games) from reality. As far as you saying that I shouldn't bring current or historical events to bear on the game because they are of no relation to Batman, here is where I disagree. His choice to become Batman, the murders that shaped him, was based on acts of violence. His stated goal is to try to prevent the very sorts of things I detailed. Grant you, he wouldn't kill anyone, but he would try to stop them, as he does the people in his. And, yes, I know he's not a real person.

How can you say that "every single one of them was wrong to do so" yet then advocate death for a mentally deranged person because you thought he deserved it and wanted to see him pay?

I don't believe in the strict "eye for an eye" philosophy. But look, if you turn to a life of crime (especially killing) then, yes, you should be punished. And while the person is committing crimes then that person is bad. I think it is unfair that he, the guy I knew, gets to continue living when he took so many lives. It matters to me the circumstances under which homicides take place. Morally I am at odds with our ethics, because our system of ethics holds that people with mental disabilities should be treated differently. That's very complicated and I haven't sorted out my feelings thoroughly enough to have a conversation about it. Suffice it to say, I think it is too convenient an excuse sometimes for murderers to avoid the death penalty.

I understood Vicki's motives, but because of what she became I felt no empathy for her. I reserve my empathy for the victims. Just because she felt society did her wrong, didn't give her the right to inflict pain and suffering on the general public - they weren't responsible for her suffering. I feel the same way about Harley et all.

As for people joining the police, the military.. why do you think so many joined after 9/11? They wanted payback. They wanted something bad to happen to the people behind the attacks.

I called them idiots because the country was deceived into waging at least one war with a country that was in no way involved in the terrorist attacks. I think they were idiots because I expect a lot of the people who signed up were ignorant and not able to see through the lies the Bush administration was peddling. Also, they attacked the wrong targets, at the behest of their leaders.

Also, I don't think payback was the only reason people joined after 9/11. I think mixed in was a desire to protect their friends, family, and their country. I think the desire to protect people at the risk to their own lives is noble.

some people who lose someone dear to them in a violent way resort to committing a crime for the same reasons people join the military - payback.

Who the hell is Harley getting payback on? I mean, assuming that her father took his own life because of his mental instability. The types of crimes committed by the members of the pact aren't, with the possible exception of Riddler, about getting payback on people who did them wrong. Apart from Riddler, what did the Agency do to Bane, Freeze, or Harley? Not only that, but the people who they killed or assaulted (police officers, security guards) weren't members of the Agency or Sanctus. That's not payback. That's either collateral damage that they don't care about or murder for the pleasure of it.

This example, on the other hand, is about payback:

For instance, a father loses a daughter to a serial killer, tracks the killer down and murders him in a horrible way because the bastard would escape prison and punishment otherwise. Now, the killer isn't a mentally sick person, he's simply a rotten sadistic piece of shit.

Your example is a bit confusing but I'm going to respond while assuming the killer (who isn't a mentally sick person) is the father and not the serial killer. Serial killers are generally understood to be rotten sadistic pieces of shit - otherwise why would they kill innocent people? As to the father, who killed the serial killer, he is now a vigilante and, yes, I am absolutely okay with him tracking the serial killer down and ending his life. I'd prefer it if the serial killer was taken to court and everything handled through due process. Unfortunately, due process doesn't always work.

Well you also said that everyone who commits a crime out of grief was wrong to do so.

I suppose I should clarify that it depends on what sorts of crime. I believe in proportionality, but not chopping off a hand if someone steals. That's way too drastic. There was a thirteen year old boy who burgled the home of a 70 year old woman with a few of his friends, then went back and raped the woman. He got life in jail with no possibility of parole. Now, I think that was also too drastic. He could learn from his mistakes and show remorse. I think he should have the opportunity to earn his freedom. Had I been on that jury, I would have argued for that kid.

On an unrelated note, it's kind of poetic justice if Selina loses an arm considering that she is a thief. Not that I like it, but it kind of seems fitting.

Bottom line: I don't think personal trauma or suffering justifies maladapted behavior.

I see that when I suggest you separate Batman from reality, you respond with mentioning a dozen real world catastrophes that are of no relat

• Yeah. Both times, couldn't have said it better. I was probably getting 'you misunderstood' because I didn't explain it like how you have. Was never good at that. lol. But its nice knowing someone understood what I was trying to say. Not that they didn't, maybe they did, and maybe I actually did misunderstand what was being said? Don't rightly know.
    But, a bit off topic, wasn't killing off Lucius like opening old wounds?! It was Lee's voice!! Like damn! It was like getting flashbacks! I just kept going 'noooooooooooooooo!! Not Lee's voice actor! Take Regina instead!!' I mean... yeah Regina's character definitely wouldn't have helped the story cause who cares about her, right? But still I was definitely throwin' hissy fit.

And again, I agree with you completely. When a video game depicts real life events, the player is going to naturally feel emotions based on

• edited December 2017

To be honest, I completely understood you when I was reading through the replies on this thread. I don't believe that there was any misunderstanding, because I interpreted it the same way as you. Not that, that validates there being no misunderstanding, but it's also not a coincidence that more than one person understood it the same way.

As for Lucius being killed, I was honestly skeptical at first. However, I have lost much hope since it has happened. Telltale Games has killed Dave Fennoy's character twice now. To my knowledge, the only game of theirs where he survives is in Minecraft: Story Mode: Season One, as Gabriel. What are you doing, Telltale? Was taking him from us once not good enough? :'(

Yeah. Both times, couldn't have said it better. I was probably getting 'you misunderstood' because I didn't explain it like how you have. Wa

• Yes, Telltale. ...Why?... I had just taped my heart back together and then you go and rip it apart for the second time? For shame!

To be honest, I completely understood you when I was reading through the replies on this thread. I don't believe that there was any misunder

• We will remember this.

To be even more honest, I'm still skeptical at this point. Because if Kenny can survive being surrounded by walkers after trying to save Ben in an alleyway, anything is possible. Especially since we didn't see Lucius die, just like how we didn't see Kenny die.

Yes, Telltale. ...Why?... I had just taped my heart back together and then you go and rip it apart for the second time? For shame!

• edited December 2017

lol. All this time building a relationship with Tiffany and Lucius is still alive? Best twist ever!!

We will remember this. To be even more honest, I'm still skeptical at this point. Because if Kenny can survive being surrounded by walker

• All I know is that if that happens, I can't trust anything that Telltale says or does anymore. :D

lol. All this time building a relationship with Tiffany and Lucius is still alive? Best twist ever!!

• I don't like what Harley does and wasn't justifying anything. I was explaining 'escaping reality' because it was asked.

I think any creators whether it's a game or a movie, any type of fiction, has varying reasons for creating it. Just as much people consuming it have different reasons and ways, it's actually really interesting. Some play a game like they would do things in real life according to their morals, others pick a different route, maybe they play a bad guy or just do questionable things.

Some don't really differentiate the issues in a game from reality while for others it's a way to play with the rules that define our society in reality. It sounds like you're saying that you think your way to play is the right way, which is not true, there is no right or wrong way to play a video game. And I feel like there won't be a satisfying conclusion for this debate because of that. :p

Personally I think viewing fiction from reality's perspective is weird to some degree. And shades of grey are more interesting than black and white.

I agree with you completely. I can't believe that I left the forum for a day only to see this. The argument being presented by those who not

• edited December 2017

Who's to say that I was talking to you? And how did you come to those conclusions about me? When did I say that "I think that the way that I play is the right way"? Even if I was, you're literally saying the same thing by saying that "viewing fiction from reality's perspective is weird". Not only that, but you're also saying that it's not true (what I think about my way of playing), that there's no right or wrong way, which basically says that your way of there being no right way, is the right way. That's a self-defeating argument.

I don't like what Harley does and wasn't justifying anything. I was explaining 'escaping reality' because it was asked. I think any creat

• This is a forum, everybody can reply even if it wasn't directed at someone specifically, that's how it works. What assumptions? You said

They want you to make choices that reflects you as a person
    To say that we need to stop comparing a video game to real life to "understand easier", is untrue. I honestly can't believe that some people believe this.

And other things, seriously read your own comments. People have different views, whether you believe it or not doesn't make it go away. I said I personally think it's weird, and you're attacking me because of that? Apparently because you can't believe anyone would think that. Maybe just accept it and move on. I have no problem with how you see or do things.

• When did I say otherwise? I have literally said the same thing. However, you replied to my reply as if it was being directed to you. I'm simply asking you a question. After all, it's a forum, right?

Where in that did I assume that my way was the right way? I honestly can't believe that people think that comparing a video game to real life will make things harder to understand. What's wrong in saying that? Maybe you should reread my replies before making baseless assumptions. Which speaking of that, you're making another assumption, as if I don't already know that people have different views, and as if I'm trying to make it go away. I already know that people have different views, and I'm not trying to make it go away. I have to know something, though. How exactly am I attacking you? I don't know if I'm to take you seriously right now, because I haven't attacked you once. If I point out flaws in your argument, is that now considered attacking? I have already accepted that people believe different things from me, even before making my first reply to this thread. When I initially replied to this thread, there were fewer people who saw things from my perspective. So, I already saw more than enough of differences in opinion to know that there are views contrary one to the other.

This is a forum, everybody can reply even if it wasn't directed at someone specifically, that's how it works. What assumptions? You said

• You're sealioning and I said everything I wanted to say in my first reply. So have a good day. :)

When did I say otherwise? I have literally said the same thing. However, you replied to my reply as if it was being directed to you. I'm sim

• If that's what you think. You couldn't be any further from the truth, but I won't try and convince someone of the truth if they would rather believe lies. You're just making assumptions about me again, while using straw man arguments. So, do with that what you will. I have already said everything that needed to be said, too. Have a good day.

You're sealioning and I said everything I wanted to say in my first reply. So have a good day.

• Honestly guys, I feel like a lot of people here are being needlessly aggressive. Well condescending and passive-aggressive might be better words to describe it. You can see people clearly being jerks but they're wording they're comments in a certain way. Point is maybe now is a good time to just agree to disagree rather than say the people who you disagree with don't make sense or don't know what they're talking about.

• He was saying he plays videogames to get away from his personal problems and struggles and enter a world where he can be literally anyone else. That's the base reason people play videogames and it's true. It's really not that complicated. How you took such a simple concept and over-analyzed it in the way you did is something I don't understand. It has nothing to do with memory or any of that psychological mumbo jumbo.

Feel free to clarify.

• I can't believe that I left the forum for a day only to see this

Someone's being a little over-dramatic. We're simply sharing our opinion and you act like we're some idiots who have no idea what we're talking about.

The argument being presented by those who not only like what Harley does, but also who justify her actions, is that we should detach from reality when playing a game

There's not a single true thing in this statement of yours. No one, NO ONE you're arguing with, including me said they "like" what Harley does. Similarly, no one here is justifying what she did. I mentioned this at least three times. Why do you twist everything we say? It's simply a lie. We're not saying you should detach yourself from reality, all we're saying is that videogames are not reality. They. Aren't. Real. Treating them like reality is simply stupid.
    If you keep up with these accusations without providing any shred of proof, how can we take what you say seriously?

• edited December 2017

This is getting a bit outrageous. This whole twisting of people’s words just to suit a point of view is just adding to the ridiculousness of it all.

http://miamistudent.net/students-use-gaming-as-an-escape-from-reality/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/depression/comments/2mw0lg/video_game_escape/

I play the Saints Row series. A series where you go around violently eliminating rival gangs for control of the city. I enjoy those games. But it sure as hell doesn’t mean that I wish I could go outside and start shooting people with a SMG.

The Mass Effect and Dragon Age series. RPG series where you can decide to romance multiple people at once along the way of figuring out who you want to be with at the end. Done that. Doesn’t mean I want to go out and cheat on my wife.

• Nailed it 100%

He was saying he plays videogames to get away from his personal problems and struggles and enter a world where he can be literally anyone el

• No one is treating a game like its reality. What we are saying is that we don't forget the reality that its a game. We also see that the characters are believable and relatable so it's easy to compare them to aspects of real life. Now your twisting words, which is something you've accused someone else of doing. And how are we to take you seriously if you can't even follow your own advice?

I can't believe that I left the forum for a day only to see this Someone's being a little over-dramatic. We're simply sharing our op

• No one is treating a game like its reality.

I disagree. Some of the people here can't help but bring up various real world events and people, compare them to videogame characters and judge the videogame characters based on how they'd judge real world people. But don't take my word for it - here's a comment from @ShampaFK from few posts earlier:

GameLady and andrearnettbraun both explained very well why not all people separate Bruce (or TT games) from reality.

Are you denying you explained very well why not all people separate Bruce or TT games from reality?

What we are saying is that we don't forget the reality that its a game.

Good. That's what we've tried to explain for a while, glad to see someone actually listens.

We also see that the characters are believable and relatable so it's easy to compare them to aspects of real life

Yeah, so do we. We've never said otherwise.

Now your twisting words, which is something you've accused someone else of doing. And how are we to take you seriously if you can't even follow your own advice?

Well, the difference is my accusations haven't been proven wrong yet.

No one is treating a game like its reality. What we are saying is that we don't forget the reality that its a game. We also see that the cha

• I only did the same as was being done to me. I DO NOT escape reality to enjoy a game. I don't have to. And yet somehow, that's been twisted into me taking a game too seriously. No. That's wrong. I just don't sit there and play a game and suddenly forget all my troubles. And I brought those up as an example to show you can forget your troubles without having to escape reality.
    I think both parties are guilty of over-analyzing or twisting words. But at least I can see that and admit to it, honestly I did it as a way to show how irritating it is that someone does that. Because all I've seen is 'their taking it to seriously' and it seems to be based on the simple fact that someone doesn't agree with an opinion.

He was saying he plays videogames to get away from his personal problems and struggles and enter a world where he can be literally anyone el

• I didn't say YOU specifically were guilty of any of the things I mentioned now did I? In fact my original comment wasn't even directed at you. It was directed at @andrearnettbraun. He's the one I had issues with. I don't see a reason why you had to involve yourself in this argument but you did and I tried my best to answer without accusing you of anything. I didn't say you have to escape reality to enjoy a game, I didn't say you were taking things too seriously and anytime I didn't agree with your opinion, I gave my reasons without twisting your words. So what's your issue with me right now?

I only did the same as was being done to me. I DO NOT escape reality to enjoy a game. I don't have to. And yet somehow, that's been twisted

• Um... yeah, no. 'What we are saying is that we don't forget the reality that its a game' is definitely not for you. I was explaining to you my previous points, which you were arguing. But I like how you took that a part to make it seem like it was your point.
    Now just because ShampaFK was bringing up real life situations and comparing them, doesn't mean they took the game seriously. It only means they see similarities.
    And while your accusations may or may not be wrong, neither were mine.

No one is treating a game like its reality. I disagree. Some of the people here can't help but bring up various real world events an

Sign in to comment in this discussion.