The Walking Dead: The Final Season - PAX West Reunion Panel Discussion Thread + Episode 2 First Look

Comments

• Literally EVERYTHING Marlon does right after killing Brody is remorseless scumbag shit.

A conniving snake who only cares about his own survival.

Scythenger posted: »

Gave away tenn's sisters, lied to tenn and said walkers killed them, coward out in trying to save them. Says he'd do it again. Kills brody,

• He wouldn't join out of vengeance, he would help the raiders out of cowardice like you said if they caught up with him.

Deltino posted: »

Seems like he'd be taking quite a gamble if he went looking for them. What if they just kill him on the spot or take him as a slave, too?

• Yup. Feels sorry for himself after committing a monstrous act, wanted to leave instead of stay and only stays if you decide to let him stay because he has no choice but to comply. A complete scumbag and a failure of a leader marlon was.

Literally EVERYTHING Marlon does right after killing Brody is remorseless scumbag shit. A conniving snake who only cares about his own survival.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited September 2018

I don't see his actions after killing Brody as being truly remorseless. It's more like a scared kid desperately attempting to escape from his own lies.

He accidentally kills Brody, who just confessed what he did in front of Clementine. He freaks out, because now someone's dead, and there's a witness to his actions. He tries to lock her in the cellar in the hopes the problem would simply solve itself. But I don't see this as the act of some cold-blooded killer, but rather a scared kid trying to run from his problems.

Clearly, that doesn't work, because he gets caught in the courtyard and held at gunpoint, so he tries to blame Clementine instead. But then Clementine ends up escaping the cellar, so that backfires on him too. Now he's backed into a corner where he can't just lie his way out, so he grabs AJ's gun in order to gain control of the situation.

But that also ends up failing once Clementine turns either Violet or Louis against him (and by extension, the rest of the school). Now he has nowhere left to run; no escape from what he's done. With no other options left, he suffers a breakdown, where he finally admits to what he did. Then that breakdown turns into him becoming a crying, blubbering mess when he realizes everyone's turned against him. Cue him asking to be exiled; he's genuinely ashamed by his actions to a point where he can't even stomach being in the same vicinity as the rest of the kids. He'd rather leave and be forgotten entirely. He believes that's the only "mercy" he deserves to be shown.

It's all a matter of perspective. I see Marlon as a pitiful, tragic figure in the ending; a scared kid that did a terrible thing, who desperately tried to live a lie until it all crumbled down in front of him. But I can also see how someone could interpret Marlon and his actions as that of some spineless weasel that only cared about himself.

This is definitely the intended result for Marlon as a character. He's meant to fall square in that grey area, where he can be painted in a positive or negative light, and neither side is wrong to feel the way they do.

Literally EVERYTHING Marlon does right after killing Brody is remorseless scumbag shit. A conniving snake who only cares about his own survival.

• not everybody is like clem, thats the key point...bloody hell its like everyone just looks through CLEM IZ KOOL glasses all day long

Clem wouldn't trade kids for "protection". She'd rather die fighting.

• Do you guys think the nightmare that happens prior to Clementine waking up will be actually shown? I definitely think it will, it would be a pretty cool way of showing what happened at the ranch.

• Just imagine in the teaser clem had the wellington scar.

• Clem is really suffer from nightmares ... poor kid.

• Oh boo fucking hoo. Marlon was a murderer and basically a human trafficker who gave two girls away and was going to give away Clem and AJ as well. He deserves no sympathy.

J-Master posted: »

Yes, AJ shot a broken, unarmed teenager suffering from anxiety and paranoia as well as someone asking to be kicked out of the group consider

• Is there anywhere to watch the full thing? I missed it today.

• It's a product of the world they live in. At the end of the day, he was his own worst enemy. He wasn't a murderer nor a human trafficker before it all started. He simply wanted to keep everyone alive, until he was faced with an ultimatum that overwhelmed him and the regret turned him into something ugly.

Everyone is a victim in this situation. The obvious victims are the girls. But Marlon was also a victim to his own fear and regret. The sympathy is warranted, but so is the hate.

Oh boo fucking hoo. Marlon was a murderer and basically a human trafficker who gave two girls away and was going to give away Clem and AJ as well. He deserves no sympathy.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited September 2018

You can watch it here

https://twitch.tv/videos/305031614?t=04h44m54s

If the video doesn't automatically skip to the correct part you will need to go to 04h44m54s

Is there anywhere to watch the full thing? I missed it today.

• Thanks!!

OzzyUK posted: »

You can watch it here https://twitch.tv/videos/305031614?t=04h44m54s If the video doesn't automatically skip to the correct part you will need to go to 04h44m54s

• Anyone else think AJ looks like a greaser from the 50s with that jacket on?

• Killing people when it's not warranted, attacking members of the group, becoming more hostile towards the group, etc.

BigLee posted: »

Why a threat?

• Am I seeing things or is AJ a little taller than he used to be?

• its the hair

Timcanpy posted: »

Am I seeing things or is AJ a little taller than he used to be?

• I did say “somewhat” did I not.

Do you think I want AJ to die? I’ve been one of AJ’s biggest defenders since the kid was born. When everyone was saying they would leave him to die because he’s a waste, I was saying I’d do anything to protect him, and I still would. When everyone was complaining that he would be one of the main focuses of TFS, I was saying how much potential it could have, and as it turns out, I was right.

I like AJ, I’m rooting for him and am trying to not only keep him alive, but through my choices, turn him into a more balanced and stronger survivor. But, there’s nothing wrong with me being concerned over the actions he’s taking and some of the things he’s saying, because they ARE concerning. AJ shouldn’t have shot Marlon, but as he did, not only is he dealing with some problems from the Ranch, which will be explored more, but we’re going to see how that plays into his character, and the result might not be a positive thing for him. It could lead him, if we’re not careful, down a path that could see him become more like a Carver. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not saying he’s beyond saving, I’m not saying we should put him down, nor am I saying he can’t act like a kid, I’m just expressing concern for a kid that I care about not being able to live with other people.

lol, what part of TWD is civilized? I'm guessing you guys would kill kids for simply acting like kids in a zombie apocalypse.

• Him wanting to be being kicked out was because of the shame he felt over his actions. There’s no evidence that he even knows where these raiders are, nor that he’s “friends” with them.

You don't think it's suspicious Marlon eagerly asks to be kicked out? (hint: to join his raider friends) Being a monster or not is irrelevant if you do monstrous things.

• You summed up everything I was thinking into words better than I ever could.

I do think that a lot of people are just writing Marlon off as evil because of his actions, and the reality is that it isn’t so black and white like this. His actions were horrible, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he was a horrible person, especially since he showed deep remorse and regret over them. Not excusing what he did, it was clearly wrong and he deserved punishment, but killing him as he was surrendering like he was was certainly not the answer.

I don't see his actions after killing Brody as being truly remorseless. It's more like a scared kid desperately attempting to escape from hi

• I'm not hopeful in this group's chances of surviving long if they just casually let AJ and Clementine stay after everything thats transpired.

• I'd say it's in their best interests not to get in Clementine's way.

Chibikid posted: »

I'm not hopeful in this group's chances of surviving long if they just casually let AJ and Clementine stay after everything thats transpired.

• man...im.getting sad that at the end of this month we will be halfway through the season

• I'm worried about aj tbh because I like the kid but will he know the right or wrong is what worries me the most.

• I only hope we get the opportunity to change him because the only reason I’m tolerating him atm is to honour the boat lord

I'm worried about aj tbh because I like the kid but will he know the right or wrong is what worries me the most.

• You raise another interesting point. Now you are raising my expectations for a ranch flashback. Let me calm down before I become disappointed.

You know what really concerns me? Think of all the awful stuff Clementine has witnessed. Out of all of those things, it's the ranch that giv

• The trailer was great, it really made me a lot more excited about Ep2!

• Another thing: is it me or is AJ missing a tooth in the episode 2 clip? Look at AJ's upper left side right next to his two front teeth. Am I crazy?

• Kinda looks like it, the missing tooth I mean

eRock92 posted: »

Another thing: is it me or is AJ missing a tooth in the episode 2 clip? Look at AJ's upper left side right next to his two front teeth. Am I crazy?

• If you see a person threatening your mother or sister, would you do what would stand? He already apologized to everyone not the need to be talking about it, the death of Marlon is another story he was defending Clem he did not understand that he did not need to kill and that's why we're going to have to teach him

Chibikid posted: »

Killing people when it's not warranted, attacking members of the group, becoming more hostile towards the group, etc.

• Eh I hope it doesn't end up with AJ turning into a sociopath tbh. Mainly because that was something we already got in the TV show. Though I can see the possibility of that being the direction it's going, I want them to be able to tell a unique story for the final season.

• There was actually an important reveal at the panel that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, though it's not relevant to TFS

Luke's VA finally confirmed our suspicions that the original ending of season 2 was Kenny vs Luke, not Kenny vs Jane

• They also talked about the Sandra Flashback.

Cheddarhead posted: »

There was actually an important reveal at the panel that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, though it's not relevant to TFS Luke's VA finally confirmed our suspicions that the original ending of season 2 was Kenny vs Luke, not Kenny vs Jane

• Another thing that stood out was Jeff talking about his role as Javier-- apparently he didn't even know what the role specifically was at first, and only realized it was for TWD after going in to record his lines. I guess it's just further proof of ANF's troubled history behind the scenes.

Cheddarhead posted: »

There was actually an important reveal at the panel that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, though it's not relevant to TFS Luke's VA finally confirmed our suspicions that the original ending of season 2 was Kenny vs Luke, not Kenny vs Jane

• Boy sounds more like his mom to me, and besides Alvin is his father. People should drop this discussion because it's silly.

That and he's holding a knife, bites people, punches them in the dick, and showing signs of not being able to live in a somewhat stable and civilized society.

• Nice over-exaggeration of the events, bud.

Yet another one who blindly believes Marlon willingly gave up the twins.

Pack of raiders armed to the teeth vs four kids without any real weapons beyond one crossbow.

Do you call this a fair fight? It wasn't a trade & there wasn't any deal. If there was, the safe-zone wouldn't have continued to scale back & Abel wouldn't have sabotaged the traps or rummaged through the fish shack. What was Marlon & the boarding school given in exchange for this alleged trade/deal? Something has to be exchanged, otherwise it's a robbery and kidnapping we're talking about.

If you can't tell me what they were given in exchange, don't continue to imply there was a trade of any sort. If you can't provide what was exchanged, then you also can't imply that Marlon had a choice other than all 4 of them being killed right then and there for non-compliance with what I interpreted as DEMANDS.

I like how AJ is somehow a "psychopath" (a psychopath for doing things countless people in the TWD everyday it's practically boring) and nee

• I guess "protection" includes sabotaged traps, having your food stolen, allowed hunting area shrink, and fishing shack invaded. Sounds like A+ ADT security grade protection to me. I'm glad it's just another fruitless theory.

Clem wouldn't trade kids for "protection". She'd rather die fighting.

• edited September 2018

Next time you or a friend experience being a victim of a crime, please choose the A-hole dialogue option of scolding them for "giving away their possessions to their robbers" instead of not complying with their demands. Never mind if they're being held at gun point and outnumbered. They're now a coward in your eyes for not getting shot trying to be the tough guy from the action movie.

Scythenger posted: »

Gave away tenn's sisters, lied to tenn and said walkers killed them, coward out in trying to save them. Says he'd do it again. Kills brody,

• edited September 2018

It'll turn up again in EP4 as a returning character special item. Equipping it provides anti-bite protection from Walkers.

Plan_R posted: »

Clem's hat is nowhere to be found in that room. I find that to be disconcerting.

• "a person who is engaged in the illegal transportation of people from one country or area to another" doesn't sound like Marlon to me. Are you implying he profited from this exchange in some way? If so, please share the exploits of this shady deal that helped to benefit the school.

Oh boo fucking hoo. Marlon was a murderer and basically a human trafficker who gave two girls away and was going to give away Clem and AJ as well. He deserves no sympathy.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.