Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I finally managed to complete it... Time is not my friend! Excellent set of games, and really worth playing! I really hope there is another 'set of tales' to come! With that ending they sure leave room!
  • edited July 2010
    If it's really going to be somewhen soon (between 2011 and 2013) I hope they have written a great deal of the story for it already. I don't want a rushed game with a poor plot (and it must be hard to top the plot's quality of TOMI).
  • edited July 2010
    You are right Mermaid!
  • edited July 2010
    i think it should have a different name
  • edited July 2010
    Bagge wrote: »
    We didn't in Monkey 2 either. Until the CMI retcon, that is.

your on monkey island in the ending scene in mi2
  • edited July 2010
    The more I think about it, the more I want all the characters to have new models... especially Guybrush and LeChuck who have looked new in each game.
  • edited July 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I want all the characters to have new models... especially Guybrush and LeChuck who have looked new in each game.

Guybrush needs a beard and voodoo pox. And LeChuck should just die.

But as a for the Season, I think there will be an announcement next year.
  • edited July 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Guybrush needs a beard and voodoo pox. And LeChuck should just die.

But as a for the Season, I think there will be an announcement next year.

I think u may be slightly right! But not at the time you expect. My hunch and prediction reading the interview is that at best we should expect a new addition to the Monkey Island series in no less than a year.

My reasons to say this is that i feel TTG has their hands full right now, they are currently developing 3 games. Which are Sam and Max Season 3, Back to the future and Jurassic Park. And we dont know what other new stuff TTG may be planning to release. So at best it may be at the earliest in December 2011 or 2012 surely.

But this thing about Monkey Island has me so uneasy, because of the fact Lucas Arts has a new president. I hope he pushes even harder for more diversity of games for his companies and is willing to share w/ the creators the royalties for TTG. Lucas Arts is so used to mamoth income, that it makes me wonder how they view TOMI's income.
  • edited July 2010
    I am curious how much of the profit Lucasarts got to have. I wonder despite higher sales of MI, Telltale get to keep more money with their other licenses...

I also hope that they got in writing some sort of deal to make sequels before the regime change. At the moment I have faith in TTG to make another MI game.... I want to believe Lucasarts still has what it takes to make a good MI game but I have my doubts
  • edited July 2010
    I'm certain they'll make another series. Telltale have said again and again how successful the series has been and now they've proved to Lucasarts it's a money maker I'm sure they'll have no problems getting another licence. It's just a matter of time...
  • edited July 2010
    That doesn't mean Lucas will give them the license right away, they may have to go into meetings or other legal techno babble. And Lucas may also hold the license and ask for more benefits from the profits of the series. It's a very loose franchise.
  • edited July 2010
    Have we had a guess-poll about this one yet?
  • edited July 2010
    With the ending in Chapter 5 how could they not, you also hear small bits of what happened before tales when he assembled the Cutlass, a possible game to make I think.

Making the next game before tales is a horrible idea when there are so many questions in the season left unanswered.
  • edited July 2010
    It could be a sort of flashback episode that involves doing the stuff to get to Launch of the Screaming Narwhal to explain some stuff and then the next episode goes along normally.

Dr Evil: How about NO!
  • edited July 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    Have we had a guess-poll about this one yet?

I give it till the end of the week.
  • edited July 2010
    I would love to see a Double Fine Monkey Island.

So many caps.
  • edited December 2010
    I would love to see: a GOOD QUALITY soundtrack of the calibre of CMI

examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChA4DehA1_M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3pacDke-S0&feature=related
    -the guy did them in his spare time so.. to hell with consistency of the product! WiiWare can have lesser music! but I want some quality tunes dammit

my first MI game was CMI and one of my favourite things about it was the music.
  • edited December 2010
    telltale have been thinking ever since MI4 how they were gonna release TOMI. that's how much thought went in to it. :P telltale's whole reputation stand on the next MI!!! it's most likely never gna happen

telltale's been lazy this year, S&M came out april of this year and that's it. in 09 they released 2 games.

i would love another MI but little chance.

Is it true that TTG actually went to the trouble of re-recording lechuck original for the last few episodes available on dvd form?
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah ... as much as I would love ToMI2 .... I am really starting to think its never going to happen.
  • edited December 2010
    i only found out about ttg and the next mi just by searching one day and i didn't expect it to be good. but it was...it was...

it COULD happen after bttf and before jurassic park. they made s&m fans wait remember? it would be nice if that happened. hope to all!!! :-P
  • edited December 2010
    Hee Ho Ho wrote: »
    telltale have been thinking ever since MI4 how they were gonna release TOMI. that's how much thought went in to it. :P telltale's whole reputation stand on the next MI!!! it's most likely never gna happen

telltale's been lazy this year, S&M came out april of this year and that's it. in 09 they released 2 games.

i would love another MI but little chance.

Is it true that TTG actually went to the trouble of re-recording lechuck original for the last few episodes available on dvd form?

Lazy? What about Back to The Future? Haven't played it yet since it was kinda before my time, but it looks pretty darn good!

Anyway, I do have a hope for a new Tales of Monkey Island as the next reveal or after Jurassic Park. If we keep buying the games, it surely shows that we have some interest in 'em, right? I have been a bit on the lazy side, and short on cash side, but I think I'll buy Sam & Max season 3 and BTTF soon! As soon as I finish up some other games I have lying around~
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah ... as much as I would love ToMI2 .... I am really starting to think its never going to happen.

I still have hope. In fact, I have more than hope; I have faith. Dan Connors said that they would "love to do more [MI seasons]". So, I wouldn't start fretting.
  • edited December 2010
    Of course it is gonna happen! It's just a matter of time. Why would Telltale kill a milking cow just when they got started? :confused:
  • edited January 2011
    Testikkeli wrote: »
    Of course it is gonna happen! It's just a matter of time. Why would Telltale kill a milking cow just when they got started? :confused:

The problem is that it's really not up to Telltale to decide, the decision lies in the hands of the licence holder, LucasArts (a company not known for making the wisest of moves). LucasArts' previous president Darrell Rodriguez was largely the man responsible for giving us not only the two special editions of Monkey Island but also for allowing Telltale to create ToMI. Now that Paul Meegan has taken the reigns as president, I'd say that any further Tales are rather uncertain at the moment.

I know that I won't be banking on it ever happening, although I'd love to play another installment as much as Telltale would love to create one.
  • edited January 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    The problem is that it's really not up to Telltale to decide, the decision lies in the hands of the licence holder, LucasArts (a company not known for making the wisest of moves). LucasArts' previous president Darrell Rodriguez was largely the man responsible for giving us not only the two special editions of Monkey Island but also for allowing Telltale to create ToMI. Now that Paul Meegan has taken the reigns as president, I'd say that any further Tales are rather uncertain at the moment.

I know that I won't be banking on it ever happening, although I'd love to play another installment as much as Telltale would love to create one.

i think lucasarts should jus give ttgames the rights or whatever. i mean lucasarts is all star wars now with no real commitment to anything else. i played the force unleashed 2. it looked brill but the end result was quite rubbish
  • edited January 2011
    I hope to see a sequel soon I thought ToMI was pretty awesome== link lucasarts to my post let them see what the fans want
  • edited January 2011
    Hee Ho Ho wrote: »
    i think lucasarts should jus give ttgames the rights or whatever.

That wouldn't be a LucasArts move, though. They would rather leech off of the series for as long as they can instead of doing what's right with the franchise.

It would be nice if Ron Gilbert owned, so that the franchise would be in the hands of some-one with an actual soul somebody who actually cares about the series, not about making money out of the series.
  • edited January 2011
    Fnerg, hack, squeegl!

This has got to be the worst argument ever! I don't particularly agree or disagree with any of the points made because in the majority of cases they're riddled with logical fallacy. The two worst being Straw Man argument (This is like this so it's wrong) and appeals to anonymous/ambiguous authority (Someone said blah blah blah, I read this article yada yada).

If someone would be so kind as to provide links to said press releases that would really help clear things up. The only real link was to an E3 video where a guy said tales is set after an "imaginary 5th game" and quotes from some guy named Jake (quoted but not referenced (as in linked to the original post/article/source)). I honestly don't think (in my own opinion) that this statement was intended to imply a space holder for a 5th game, but as I don't make such decisions that's just speculation.

Also the thread doesn't seem to have been answered (it sort of devolved into a debate about semantics) so I guess a rewording would be advised:

Are there any plans for any further games in the Monkey Island Franchise by anyone?

Geeze, gotta love net forums for blowing things out of proportion :S

Incidentally I loved Tales Of, the only thing I thought it was missing was a visit to monkey island, the cannibals, and Herman...oh and Murray doing a great big boo at the end of the game (seriously, long dark patch and no boo? Though I guess that may just have been my PC taking it's time loading)

EDIT: Oh, having forgotten the recent new year I've only just noticed what a terrible necromancer I am, sorry about that.
  • edited January 2011
    wow no one has played mi5 before? jeez take a look at what your missing out on

MI5-fake.jpg

cut scene sound
  • edited January 2011
    STOP SAYING THAT. STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT. THAT WAS A JOKE AAAAAAUAGHHGGAUHGAUHGUAHGUAHGUHAUGH

:headexplode:

I know! do these people expect games between each of the games too? Because each one kind of starts some time after the last game... I guess they should have made a game in between 1 and 2 about how GT got to scabb and between 3-4 showing their months long honeymoon.

Seriously each game hints at adventures prior to where we as the player starts.
  • edited January 2011
    If Ron Gilbert owned the rights, we could see a Monkey Island reboot from the second game onwards.
  • edited January 2011
    Lucasarts if youre reading this then please let telltale make a sequel I will preorder it and then buy it for 5 other people afterwards
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Kalanac wrote: »
    If someone would be so kind as to provide links to said press releases that would really help clear things up. The only real link was to an E3 video where a guy said tales is set after an "imaginary 5th game" and quotes from some guy named Jake (quoted but not referenced (as in linked to the original post/article/source)).
    Jake is Jake Rodkin, who was the co-designer of all five episodes of Tales of Monkey Island.

Every quote on this forum references the original post. All you have to do to view the original post is to click on the little blue arrow next to the poster's name in the quote, and the entire original post from that quote will be brought up. :)
  • edited January 2011
    I know! do these people expect games between each of the games too? Because each one kind of starts some time after the last game... I guess they should have made a game in between 1 and 2 about how GT got to scabb and between 3-4 showing their months long honeymoon.

Seriously each game hints at adventures prior to where we as the player starts.

Yup. MI2 clearly picks up that way reciting stories. MI3 picks up with him documenting the adventures he had escaping, while LeChuck was besieging another island.

MI4 I don't remember so much. I actually liked it but only played through it once. Had it on PS2 and the disc went bad, so I haven't been able to replay it, as I did obsessively with all the rest of the games.
  • edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    If Ron Gilbert owned the rights, we could see a Monkey Island reboot from the second game onwards.

Heavens forbid.
  • edited January 2011
    I usually do not condone trolling... but I am tempted to suggest we troll the heck out of Lucasarts official forum.... like everyone here starting a new thread all requesting a sequel to ToMI.
  • edited January 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Heavens forbid.

What would be the harm? Do people really care about the continuity in the stories anymore? Every Monkey Island since CMI has had a different team (with the exception of a few people), with a different take on the Monkey Island universe. For example, having Guybrush single again, not having to run errands for Elaine or trying to save her from LeChuck. Every Monkey Island game since Ron left has been about saving Elaine (wether it's from a Curse or something else). After Ron left, Monkey Island has been going in circles, much like the Zelda games, or to a much worse degree, Mario. It's the same story told in a different way. The eternal triangle of love and hate. The villain, the hero and the princess. That is why I want to see a reboot, wether it's from MI2 onwards or from the scratch. I don't mind these things in Zelda and Mario, but I don't want this in Monkey Island. I don't want to know what to expect. There's no surprises anymore. Lechuck is good, no just kidding, Lechuck is evil. Surprised. Er, not really.

The storywriters just doesn't have any balls anymore. They rely too much on giving what people expect rather than surprising them. I'd much rather want the latter. For this to happen, I think something drastic has to happen in the next Monkey Island game.
  • edited January 2011
    More drastic than several characters actually (and dramatically!) dying during the game?
  • edited January 2011
    Drastic as in actually have any impact on further games. Irrelevant npc characters doesn't qualify for having any impact whatsover for future games, and nothing in ToMI has even hinted that the next Monkey Island game would stop running in circles. EMI, CMI and ToMI have all had an "everything back to normal" ending. MI1 and 2 did not. I don't want everything to be back to normal.
  • edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    What would be the harm? Do people really care about the continuity in the stories anymore? Every Monkey Island since CMI has had a different team (with the exception of a few people), with a different take on the Monkey Island universe. For example, having Guybrush single again, not having to run errands for Elaine or trying to save her from LeChuck. Every Monkey Island game since Ron left has been about saving Elaine (wether it's from a Curse or something else). After Ron left, Monkey Island has been going in circles, much like the Zelda games, or to a much worse degree, Mario. It's the same story told in a different way. The eternal triangle of love and hate. The villain, the hero and the princess. That is why I want to see a reboot, wether it's from MI2 onwards or from the scratch. I don't mind these things in Zelda and Mario, but I don't want this in Monkey Island. I don't want to know what to expect. There's no surprises anymore. Lechuck is good, no just kidding, Lechuck is evil. Surprised. Er, not really.

The storywriters just doesn't have any balls anymore. They rely too much on giving what people expect rather than surprising them. I'd much rather want the latter. For this to happen, I think something drastic has to happen in the next Monkey Island game.

I was fine with the Voodoo Lady turning out to be something more and that's what I'm hoping gets expanded upon in the next game.

I don't want Ron Gilbert's version of MI3 where Elaine and Guybrush are just friends. In fact the whole ending to MI2 was... disappointing. I thoroughly enjoyed CoMI and Tales and don't mind what Telltale set up for their next game. With Gilbert all I could hope for is bad storytelling.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.