Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited December 2009
    So i Hope LA will make a non-episodic new MI Game
    with Bill tiller vor the graphics and ron Gilbert to Tell His
    Story After MI2 and perhaps Full the Part between EMI
    and ToMI... also i hope telltale will make ToMI Season 2
    almost near in the future!!!

Ron Gilbert's planned story might not fit in with the canon, though, so I think it would be best that his 'Monkey Island 3a' isn't considered canon.
  • edited December 2009
    StonkBad wrote: »
    Ron Gilbert's planned story might not fit in with the canon, though, so I think it would be best that his 'Monkey Island 3a' isn't considered canon.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense, at all. Ron Gilberts monkey island game isn't considered canon that really needs to elaborated.

I mean honestly that is his story and his characters, so it would have to be canon.

The story will probably acknowledge the previous stories but as little hints here and there.
  • edited December 2009
    Sorry guys but Tales is NOT MI-5 and it was confirmed in the press release prior to releasing the 1st Chapter when the series was anounced. Telltales said that this is NOT MI-5 so all please stop referring to it like that. Tales are events which happened after the hypothetical MI-5. Tales is not even MI-6. So you mean that Terminator Series, The chronicles of Sarah Connor are Terminator 5? Hmmm... Interesting. Just accept it as an addition to the franchise and accept it as not being MI-5 because when Ron Gilbert and Lucasarts makes MI-5 you will be more confused.
  • edited December 2009
    TTG was pretty successful with character development if you ask me, plot was fine too.

What I wonder is, can TTG go ahead with Morgan, keeping the Monkey island atmosphere and create a game in her name.
    Would they have to pay loyalty to Lucas for that and would fans support it.

I love MI, it is my all time favorite game (really).
    But i am not sure how much I would enjoy an other run of MI in near future.

I am afraid Elain, Guybruse feetgood(new one?), and Lechuck love triangle is getting old.

I would go(probably so will ttg) with Morgan series instead of MI6,MI5(Please dont hurt me...) or TOMI2 BUT it has some risks.
  • edited December 2009
    I can't believe nobody's picked up on this yet...

"Is there a new monkey island 6 getting released??"

Wait...when was the old Monkey Island 6? ...no seriously?!?

Hah...yeah sure, eventually there will be a new addition to the MI series. But when and where and by who we currently have no confirmation and only wild speculation and rumors.

The end of Tales reveals that TTG is
    first going to do S&M S3
    so it would have to be
    after that at least (if it's by TTG).

There is the possibility (however unlikely) that LA will attempt to reclaim the MI series though. The reason I say it's unlikely is because LA has a win/win scenario right now. Producing, developing, testing, marketing, etc. for games is all very expensive. By licensing the MI series out to another company (TTG) LA is completely eliminating these costs. As part of the license they still get to plaster their name all over the game just as they normally would. They still get a cut of the profits and proceeds from the games. And they get the added bonus that if the games are a flop they can point the blame at TTG to try and prevent it reflecting badly on themselves. They couldn't do that if they produced it. And as much as we may love Monkey Island, let's face it...MI is not a widely known game. Monkey Island has a fraction of the renown of Star Wars. Guybrush Threepwood is an average person (in the real world, not our little MI fan-clubs :p) compared to the fame of Luke or Anakin Skywalker.

Unless LA contracted a movie deal or something and really started bringing in a significantly large new audience, it simply doesn't make sense from a business standpoint for them to try to reclaim the MI series.

They do own the rights and I wouldn't put anything past LA with some of the absurdities they've managed in the past. However, I honestly just don't see it happening.
  • edited December 2009
    didn't LucasArts recently say their planning on revealing the secret very soon in saying they want to reveal the MI secret that only Ron Gilbert knows about. They could be doing a MI 5 or 6 sometime in 2010 alongside the MI 2 special edition as well.
  • edited December 2009
    considering the way that TOMI ended I think it safe to say that Telltale really want to make a second season of Tales, though when it will be released is another matter. Also if it was MI5/Mi6 it would be labelled as such
  • edited December 2009
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Also if it was MI5/Mi6 it would be labelled as such

By this logic CMI is not MI3 nor is EFMI MI4...which is a bit silly. This isn't Grand Theft Auto or Resident Evil we're talking about where only every 100th game gets to be considered "the next part". :D

And I hadn't heard that LA was going to reveal the "secret". As far as I know Gilbert never even revealed it to them, so how could they reveal it to us? Do you have a source? (Not saying you're wrong, just haven't heard of it...;))
  • edited December 2009
    dthoupis wrote: »
    Sorry guys but Tales is NOT MI-5 and it was confirmed in the press release prior to releasing the 1st Chapter when the series was anounced. Telltales said that this is NOT MI-5 so all please stop referring to it like that. Tales are events which happened after the hypothetical MI-5. Tales is not even MI-6. So you mean that Terminator Series, The chronicles of Sarah Connor are Terminator 5? Hmmm... Interesting. Just accept it as an addition to the franchise and accept it as not being MI-5 because when Ron Gilbert and Lucasarts makes MI-5 you will be more confused.

No. Just no. The Terminator comparison doesn't even work here. Tales has not been called a side-story by any official source, nor does it contradict the rest of the canon like Sarah Connor Chronicles (nor is it an abomination), not to mention that Ron Gilbert himself had a hand in it (and by that logic, you might say that it has even more right to be part of the main storyline canon than Curse or Escape). Telltale was joking when they said that it took place after the hypothetical MI5, and have said as much, and the rest is just speculation on your part.
  • =P!=P!
    edited December 2009
    did anyone happen to notice that throughout the WHOLE ToMI series that it didn't include even ONE mention of monkey island???? yes i think that once tell tale has noticed this themselves there WILL be another series which will include MONKEY ISLAND!!! i rest my case . . . . .
  • edited December 2009
    OK you all. Since you are all non believers see this and tell me if you still believe that Tales is Monkey Island 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzwiFALr5HU&feature=related
  • edited December 2009
    C'mon people, Tales is still the fifth game released in the Monkey Island series no matter how you look at it. As others have said it's not like all the other games have numbers on them anyway.
    If there is another game released it will actually be Monkey Island 6 because it's the sixth game released.

I've never liked the ideas of prequels anyway, it's so pointless to go back in time, I want to follow the characters onwards not backwards. It would be a step back to make a prequel I think.
  • edited December 2009
    So if executives from Telltales even scream out that its not MI5 you will still call it MI5. Good luck!
  • edited December 2009
    And I hadn't heard that LA was going to reveal the "secret". As far as I know Gilbert never even revealed it to them, so how could they reveal it to us? Do you have a source? (Not saying you're wrong, just haven't heard of it...;))

This was talked about it on adventureclassicgaming.com from an interview with Craig Derrick here is the quote;

"I feel part of the reason we're still talking about Monkey Island 20 years after its initial release is due to the "secret" not being revealed. Leaving it mysterious and ambiguous I feel is part of the charm. However, I also think we owe the fans a bit of closure around the "secret" and hope that we have the opportunity to reveal it in a perhaps unexpected way soon."
  • edited December 2009
    So if executives from Telltales even scream out that its not MI5 you will still call it MI5. Good luck!

And if they scream that it was a joke, you'll continue to ignore them. Have fun with that.
  • edited December 2009
    OK you all. Since you are all non believers see this and tell me if you still believe that Tales is Monkey Island 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzwiFALr5HU&feature=related

What I like even more is the way that you apparently only read the posts which don't contradict your belief. Yes TTG did at more than one point indicate that ToMI is to be considered after MI5. This is not deniable. However, as GuruGuru was kind enough to look up the post by Jake (who is a TTG staff member mind you), let's take another look at GuruGuru's post earlier in this thread:
    Jake wrote: »
    We called it Monkey Island 6 for a while as a joke, but saying "there was a fifth game in between" doesn't mean you should actually see that game, or that it actually exists. The whole point was to say "time has passed between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island -- the characters have gone on some more adventures, grown a little, learned some things, and probably healed some continuity wounds in the process." The point wasn't "there will be another game between Escape and Tales" -- that would be silly! You'd spend the whole game assembling a cursed cutlass, chasing LeChuck down to make him stop harvesting monkeys, and then right before you could go to take out LeChuck and save Elaine, the game would end and say "To be continued in Tales of Monkey Island!" Actually, that would be pretty amazing, but it would definitely be unfulfilling, I think!

I completely agree with him. Honestly, I'm happier using my imagination and at most I would want to see a comic or machinima or something.

So yeah, TTG did say that ToMI was after MI5. But they have also later said that it was largely a joke and we should not ever expect to see this supposed MI5. You can call ToMI MI6 if you really want to. But if you're going to do that you might want to indicate that you understand that there is no MI5. Kind of like how some superstitious architects will omit the 13th floor. Despite the fact that there is no "13th" floor, the patrons still refer to floor "14" as the "14th" floor despite it actually being the 13th level. I think as long as you can make this distinction then people will have no problem allowing you to call Tales "MI6".

Conversely, given the post by Jake it is blatantly apparent that there is in fact no "MI5" ever planned to be created (by TTG or LA) as an official part of the canonical universe of Monkey Island. By this logic ToMI is and forever will be the "official" fifth installment in the Monkey Island series, and is thereby in fact, "Monkey Island 5".

To continue referring to Tales as "MI6" exclusively because of the past statements by TTG, blatantly ignoring Jake's post is comparable to insisting the world is still flat. I'll admit I still held the "MI6" theory quite firmly until I read Jake's post. But once it was pointed out to me, I was able to accept what I had read. Hopefully you can do the same. :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2009
    ...People are putting waaaay too much weight on numbers, right? What DIFFERENCE does it make if it's called "Tales of Monkey Island" or "Monkey Island 5"? They're just titles. That's all there is to it.
  • edited December 2009
    I shudder to think what some people would make of the numbering of the Leisure Suit Larry series.
  • edited December 2009
    We called it Monkey Island 6 for a while as a joke, but saying "there was a fifth game in between" doesn't mean you should actually see that game, or that it actually exists. The whole point was to say "time has passed between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island

I hope that Telltale notices that this "joke" was totally a wrong and stupid way to point out that time has passed. Look at all the trouble these statements have caused! Some people dig out some older statements where its said that it really isnt MI5. And now people get to know from a reliable source that it actually is MI5! That is highly confusing and NOT the right way to deal with the franchise. You just shouldnt claim something at first and then take it all away and claim the exact opposite! As you can see, people really are fond of Monkey Island series and it is not fair to play around with their minds.

You should at least put a sticky in the forums that ToMI is MI5 (as i also think is for the best) or even make an official announcement about it. At least I truly hope that whenever or whoever releases the next MI game, a part of its title would be " Monkey Island 6" with screaming red letters to end this subject for good.
  • edited December 2009
    -facepalm-

What you're missing, Otis, is that the reason they haven't done that is that it's not that important. Tales is currently the next game in the storyline after Escape, and as of right now there is no game in between. Beyond that, none of this arguing over numbers matters in the slightest.
  • edited December 2009
    Jake wrote:
    We called it Monkey Island 6 for a while as a joke, but saying "there was a fifth game in between" doesn't mean you should actually see that game, or that it actually exists. The whole point was to say "time has passed between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island -- the characters have gone on some more adventures, grown a little, learned some things, and probably healed some continuity wounds in the process." The point wasn't "there will be another game between Escape and Tales" -- that would be silly! You'd spend the whole game assembling a cursed cutlass, chasing LeChuck down to make him stop harvesting monkeys, and then right before you could go to take out LeChuck and save Elaine, the game would end and say "To be continued in Tales of Monkey Island!" Actually, that would be pretty amazing, but it would definitely be unfulfilling, I think!

It was a Joke, and a plot device to make the first chapters intro better. It IS the fith monkey island game, and you would have a hard time making a MI 5 (Ch1 made it quite clear that it involved going round doing what you had done in previous games, like collecting the ultimate insult)
  • edited December 2009
    ToMI is the fifth game in the Monkey Island Series, therefore it is MI5.

[/thread]
  • edited December 2009
    Also:
    We've said a few times that we consider Tales to be the fifth Monkey Island game, in canon along with all the other craziness the last 20 years have brought. If you don't, that's definitely your prerogative. There are people who write off anything past Monkey 2, or anything past Monkey 3, etc, and you obviously can't control that.

Now, [/thread]
  • edited December 2009
    They can prove me wrong, but I can't see Lucasarts coming back and doing a Monkey Island 5 . EFMI was the newest adventure by them and I haven't seen them plan to do another. It's a shame cause I love adventure games. At least telltale has put in the effort to bring the genre back.
    As for Ignoring Monkey Island games cause Ron Gilbert didn't do them just seems a little silly to me. If I remember correctly, he liked curse, he just didn't like how Elaine and Guybrush got married, cause he always thought of them as brother and sister. Even Escape had a few enjoyable points in it. It's still my least favorite of the series, but i'm not going to ignore stuff that happened from it just cause I didn't like the game.
  • edited December 2009
    Well I DO want to ignore the giant robot monkey.
  • edited December 2009
    techie775 wrote: »
    EFMI was the newest adventure by them and I haven't seen them plan to do another.

So you don't remember Full Throttle: Payback, Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels, or Sam & Max: Freelance Police?? :eek: Coz I sure do. Sure, none of them made it to see the light of day, but you clearly said you haven't seen them plan to do another. :p Anyway, I'm glad TTG got Sam & Max as well as Guybrush & Friends. Now if they will pick up Ben and Bobbin we can get the whole crew back together. :cool:

And while we're on the topic of canceled sequels (hehe), I just looked to see what the difference is between the first planned FT sequel and Duke Nukem Forever (3 years) when I realized that Duke Nukem Forever has the initials DNF. I've played a few racing games and so it strikes me that DNF (at least in racing terms) means Did Not Finish. Ironic much? :D
  • edited December 2009
    I always feel like this IS MI5 but I guess not. Though I'll always refer to it as so. And if it really is supossed to take place after MI5 and it is infact MI6, then where the hell is MI5!! Haha
  • edited December 2009
    Oops I worded it wrong. What I meant is Lucasarts hasn't made an adventure game since 2000 and I don't see them planning on making any in the future. It would have been neat if there was a FT 2 or S&M2 like they were talking about but I don't think that's going to happen. They probably don't think it will sell enough which sucks. Sierra pulled the same crap with Space Quest 7 and Leisure Suit Larry 8 and yanked them while in production. It's a shame cause there's a fan base for adventure games and you can see it if you check websites like this one, Adventure Game Studio and other sites.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm not sure the few people left at Lucasarts have the talent to make a Monkey Island game.
    The Monkey Island Special edition was a little sloppy and that was just a remake.
    If there is to be a new full retail Monkey Island game, make them hire Telltale to make it, and maybe bring on Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer while they're at it :D
  • edited December 2009
    I always feel like this IS MI5 but I guess not. Though I'll always refer to it as so. And if it really is supossed to take place after MI5 and it is infact MI6, then where the hell is MI5!! Haha

It is MI5.

Look at the quotes above from Jake.
  • edited December 2009
    I can't believe how many people has struggled with this concept. I thought adventurers were supposed be some of the brighter gamers...
  • jmmjmm
    edited December 2009
    I can't believe how many people has struggled with this concept. I thought adventurers were supposed be some of the brighter gamers...

The problem is that not everyone has your knack for lateral thinking (and heavy ordinance)

Nah...
    It's a real pain to continue to see people still saying/posting one or more of the following:
    a) Where is MI5 (Answer: The real question is When. Real Answer: between EfMI and ToMI. OK THAT was a joke, ToMI is the Fifth MI game: PERIOD)
    b) Pretend CoMI and/or EfMI never existed (Answer: They exist, you just don't like them)
    c) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-canon (Answer: Regardless of what you'd like as an answer they're part of the official story, ergo it's canon)
    d) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-cannon (Answer: You're right, they're not a kind of cannon)
    e) Consider the explanation for LCR's ending given on CoMI wrong/a lie/whatever since it wasn't given by Nor Treblig itself (Answer: It's all subject to interpretation, even what we saw and infer from LCR and what we are told in CoMI)
    f) It would be cool/great/excellent/better/whatever if Ron Gilbert could do an alternative MI3 (Answer: Cool, but pointless. Pissed off fans - probably like yourself - will complain even if a perfect, Ron Gilbert game comes out. If you're still set on complaining about the direction of CoMI and EfMI [And ToMI], it's your opinion, but we will all benefit more if you try to convince George Lucas into creating an alternate Star Wars Episode 1, with NO Jar-Jar, better plot, and less "technical" explanations of the Force, and call it "Enhanced Edition")
  • edited December 2009
    I don't think it's Monkey Island 5 or Monkey Island 6 - it's just Tales of Monkey Island, let's stick with that.
  • edited December 2009
    It's the fifth Monkey Island game to ever be physically made (not counting SMI:SE).

There. Move along. Move along.
  • edited December 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    The problem is that not everyone has your knack for lateral thinking (and heavy ordinance)

Nah...
    It's a real pain to continue to see people still saying/posting one or more of the following:
    a) Where is MI5 (Answer: The real question is When. Real Answer: between EfMI and ToMI. OK THAT was a joke, ToMI is the Fifth MI game: PERIOD)

The problem is simply that TTG said multiple times that Tales is not MI5. A lot of people have heard that and not heard that they were joking. You can't hold it against somebody if they haven't encountered the "correct" information, just because they are utilizing the information they were given...Tales is MI5, but it will take time for everyone to filter through who heard the "MI6" joke and be directed to the "correct" information.
    c) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-canon (Answer: Regardless of what you'd like as an answer they're part of the official story, ergo it's canon)

That's what I said!
    d) Consider CoMI, EfMI and ToMI non-cannon (Answer: You're right, they're not a kind of cannon)

p4wn3d. :cool:
    It's the fifth Monkey Island game to ever be physically made (not counting SMI:SE).

Special Edition came out 15 July, Tales: LotSN came out 7 July. Tales is still 5th, no matter which way 'round you look at it. :p
  • edited April 2010
    With the ending in Chapter 5 how could they not, you also hear small bits of what happened before tales when he assembled the Cutlass, a possible game to make I think.
  • edited April 2010
    That's a good idea actually. Make the full next season a prequel to ToMI. That way they could introduce a new villain which you have to beat to get the cutlass (maybe some alter-ego of Guybrush that wants to use the power of the cutlass for something else). In the final episode, you get to beat up that other Guybrush that was referred to in episode 4 (let's pretend that just wasn't a joke). And when our Guybrush wins (he always does in the end), the final cutscene sees Guybrush and Elaine sailing into the sunset, with the intention of finding LeChuck.

Heck, they could pretend that the evil Guybrush actually IS LeChuck's younger brother, and that LeChuck mistook you (the good Guybrush) for him! :D

Which in turn makes it possible to make evil Guybrush take over for LeChuck, after getting hands on his soul as a zombie or ghost in a deal with the Voodoo lady (always pulling the strings of balance), and devouring it. And LeChuck is gone for good (or at least for a couple of games), and we have a new returning villain.
  • edited June 2010
    Considering that now Sam & Max season 3 is coming out and newly acquired Back To The Future and Jurassic Park licences, there are two options:
    1) Considering TellTale's hiring, it will come out in 2011 (summer?)
    2) Considering the one-game-a-year frequence, it will come out 2012-2013
    Oh, there's another option!
    3) It won't come out.
    But x-files-2-title-revealed-2.jpg :D

PS: I WANT IT NOW!!!
  • edited June 2010
    What i really would like to see in a sequel would be going back to the Tri Island area and going to familiar islands and seeing old character's.
  • edited June 2010
    Someday, someday...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.