Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    Drastic as in actually have any impact on further games. Irrelevant npc characters doesn't qualify for having any impact whatsover for future games, and nothing in ToMI has even hinted that the next Monkey Island game would stop running in circles. EMI, CMI and ToMI have all had an "everything back to normal" ending. MI1 and 2 did not. I don't want everything to be back to normal.
    I didn't feel that ToMI had an "everything back to normal" ending, with the Voodoo Lady being an evil mastermind and everything...
  • edited January 2011
    Well, it hasn't had any impact yet. If Elaine for example had died, the impact would be clear. There would be no Elaine in the next episode, and there would be one less re-used plot element in the next game.

Besides, the Voodoo lady thing could just as well be Telltale messing with out minds. We all remember the last time that happened in a Monkey Island game.

DAISHI: bad storytelling? What was wrong with MI1 and 2's storytelling? It was (more or less) HIS story, and Monkey Island was his idea and brainchild, what could possibly go wrong with him having a major part in how the next Monkey Island game would be?
  • edited January 2011
    That sounds great and all but when it's a licensed property they can only do so much really. The way I understand it LucasArts have the final say what can or cannot happen in a Monkey Island game because it's their property.
  • edited January 2011
    I know. I'm just wishing out loud. Not that I want Elaine to die or something, I'd just want that love-triangle plot-element to die out, as it's been done enough already. I don't think LeChuck is particularly fearsome as a love-sick puppy who can't take no for an answer.

I wonder though, if Telltale gets their chance at a second season, where they will take the story from here. But unfortunately, if they don't get a second chance, will we have another game in the series where a plot element is badly explained and then forgotten? Will those who oppose Ron Gilbert getting his hands on Monkey Island again then complaint about how they never got to find out what Telltale's Season 2 would be like?

This could actually be like MI2-CMI all over again. Telltale started something that could potentially become a very big plot-element in the next game, but if they don't get to make it, whoever will could just as well leave us wondering. Again.
  • edited January 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if a hypothetical TOIMI2 did not have LeChuck as the primary antagonist, just on the basis of the difficultly in getting a voice artist.
  • edited January 2011
    That would make things a little different at least.
  • edited January 2011
    I actually don't want to see LeChuck until the very end of a seventh Monkey Island game. I love LeChuck as a character, but things will get far too repetitive if he continues to be thrown back into his regular role time and time again. It's time to introduce a new villain.
  • edited January 2011
    I've always preferred the mystical villain - the kind that you really don't get to meet/see until the very end or at least late in the story. It makes me respect the character more, if you only hear the (exaggerated) stories of his evil doings. Secret of Monkey Island was kinda like that (you got to see cutscenes of him, but you never actually meet him face to face until the very end). MI2 as well, had that kind of feeling.

I think the relationship between Guybrush and Elaine, and LeChuck has become a bit too close. We know LeChuck too well for him to really be threatening. Sure, he's an enemy, but once you know your enemies, they become much less of a threat. LeChuck doesn't have that air of mystery or evilness around him anymore. He's just another bully.

I know it's a children/young adult's book series, but look at Harry Potter how to create a villain that have that air of mystery about him. If not Voldemort in Harry Potter, look at how well Sephiroth or Jenova in Final Fantasy VII is used. Very rare appearence, you only hear rumours and stories of them. The villain needs to have the upper hand 99% of the game for him to feel threatening. He needs to seem out of reach. Yes, even in a point'n'click adventure. It needs to feel like there's one hell of a journey to get to the point where you can stand face to face with the main villain without falling apart from the very sight of him, and even then you should be the underdog.

Rise of the Pirate God was very good in this aspect. Everything felt desperately out of your control, and you really felt doomed. Kudos to Telltale for giving us some of that old no-bullshit LeChuck back.

I'd like to see Largo making a return. Largo is now on a quest to once again ressurect the evil LeChuck, only this time with a spell that let's him control him, so that LeChuck becomes Largo's right hand instead of vice versa. Of course something goes wrong, and LeChuck kills Largo in the end, and the only thing on his mind after that is to kill Guybrush AND Elaine, because he's given up on having her by his side. If LeChuck can't have her, nobody should, so he goes after both Guybrush and Elaine in the final part of the game, where you can switch between the characters to solve the final puzzle that stops LeChuck again.

Well, something like that. I'm just thinking out loud... kinda.
  • edited January 2011
    Kalanac wrote: »
    Are there any plans for any further games in the Monkey Island Franchise by anyone?

No such plans have been announced by anyone. LucasArts has changed presidents and restructured again, with the current president apparently focusing on other things, so we haven't seen what their current stance is on adventure games, but it is much less promising than it was last year. I think we'll probably have to wait until the next presidential roulette to see any news on the Monkey Island series, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

And the question of whether or not Tales "counts as MI5" is a separate (and largely irrelevant) issue.
  • edited January 2011
    My fear is that the new pres will say something like "Yes the MI games were in fact profitable.. but we can take that same resources and crap out another star wars shooter and make twice or three times the money for the effort."
  • edited January 2011
    Dear Telltale,

If you don't really want it... Can I haz Monkey Island rights?

Thanks, TomPravetz
  • edited January 2011
    I prefer episodic to standalone games and not to be too pessimistic I don't think there might be another monkey island game unless telltale manages to come up with an even bigger plot than Tales. I hate to say this but there really isn't any scope for anymore stories because everything has been said and done, from guybrush dying , lechuck turning human etc. I would be quite frankly, suprised if telltale got hold of a more diabolical plot.

However on the bright side this is telltale we are talking about here and we can
    completely trust them to come up with something.
    or maybe I'm just hyperventilating.
    Cheers!!
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry there is a largo embargo on these forums. Please restrain from mentioning him.

:)
  • edited January 2011
    Sure, why not? Everyone's entitled to want another game or not, or to enjoy it, or hate it, and TTG if it has the license will be/ is entitled to do what they want.

If they discover it's profitable or not...

blah blah blah...

There is no right or wrong answer here, only a sequence of events that may or may not lead to another game...
  • dradra
    edited January 2011
    they may make it after their done with the back to the future and Jurassic park games
  • edited February 2011
    So you want something less repetitive (as in a constant in each game), how about no Monkey Island in a game that's name derives from this central feature.

Nor was there some wacky retcon explaining the absence of Monkey Island.
  • edited February 2011
    So you want something less repetitive (as in a constant in each game), how about no Monkey Island in a game that's name derives from this central feature.

Nor was there some wacky retcon explaining the absence of Monkey Island.

Princess Zelda wasnt in all the Zelda games either!
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I usually do not condone trolling... but I am tempted to suggest we troll the heck out of Lucasarts official forum.... like everyone here starting a new thread all requesting a sequel to ToMI.

You know.... I actually feel this is a good idea! I mean, what's the worst that can happen? They can...uh...BAN us! Oooooh!

Heh, seriously...wanna gather up a team and start charging on their forums? We don't take prisoners and I get all the candy, deal?

The only (serious) rule would be that we actually write a clever thing in our thread. Not just "PLZ TOMI2 LOL!". No, I strongly suggest that, if you guys are up to it, we all write (as much as everyone feels like) the reasons for which we want TOMI2 and why we want TellTale to develop it.

Who's with us?
  • edited February 2011
    I'm willing to join in on this sensible invasion.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm in!
  • edited February 2011
    Listen to this while you read:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_rljOB4AE

Gentlemen and Gentleladies!

We have gathered here today to witness our success in convincing the enemy to lend their rights once more for out enjoyment and the financial goodly-ness of TellTale!
    *walks around room*

Now I see here plenty of a bright face, waiting for that point and clicking delight to reach their favorite console's screens! Remember, the power is in your hand, my hands, our hands!

Now let's get out there and show them who's the boss!
    *you cheer* ...*no really, cheer!*

Brilliant! I have scheduled a surprise attack on February 10th at eleven hundred hours Post Meridiem, GMT+2h! ...in plain english, that means 11:00 PM sharp...when it's 11 PM in Romania...I dunno, calculate your own time zones, I suck at that...

But WE will NOT suck at convincing the enemy to agree with us in the general necessity of a sequel for TOMI2!

As we wait for that fatal day, we shall gather recruits! The more the merrier! Be sure to have The Argumentative Text ready! (that means, think about what you're gonna write... a few general ideas, bla bla, why do you really want the game and how awesome it would be etc).

I have faith in us and may our surprise invasion come with great success and happiness for our children and our children's children! Well, I don't like children... but that's just me.

Now, let me hear your war shout!! AAAAAARGH!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Listen to this while you read:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_rljOB4AE

Gentlemen and Gentleladies!

We have gathered here today to witness our success in convincing the enemy to lend their rights once more for out enjoyment and the financial goodly-ness of TellTale!
    *walks around room*

Now I see here plenty of a bright face, waiting for that point and clicking delight to reach their favorite console's screens! Remember, the power is in your hand, my hands, our hands!

Now let's get out there and show them who's the boss!
    *you cheer* ...*no really, cheer!*

Brilliant! I have scheduled a surprise attack on February 10th at eleven hundred hours Post Meridiem, GMT+2h! ...in plain english, that means 11:00 PM sharp...when it's 11 PM in Romania...I dunno, calculate your own time zones, I suck at that...

But WE will NOT suck at convincing the enemy to agree with us in the general necessity of a sequel for TOMI2!

As we wait for that fatal day, we shall gather recruits! The more the merrier! Be sure to have The Argumentative Text ready! (that means, think about what you're gonna write... a few general ideas, bla bla, why do you really want the game and how awesome it would be etc).

I have faith in us and may our surprise invasion come with great success and happiness for our children and our children's children! Well, I don't like children... but that's just me.

Now, let me hear your war shout!! AAAAAARGH!!!!

I'm sooooo IN!!!!
    BTW, My war shout was so loud that I woke up my brother...

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!

Oh yeah,I think we should reschedule that to the 16th... so if they announce ToMI 2 we celebrate and get drunk, but if they don't we launch our attack on Lucasarts and convince them that we NEED ToMI
  • edited February 2011
    Private seson3churious, your words are full of wisdom. So be it, I say! On the 16th we launch our attack!

What say you?!?
  • edited February 2011
    The 16th it is.... the skirmish may be small but with god on our side may the result be monumental.
  • edited February 2011
    If this is for reals I'm totally up for joining in.
  • edited February 2011
    Maybe we should make threads with Star Wars-related titles, cause that's the only way Lucasarts are gonna read them ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I think LucasArts stopped listening to the fans altogether a loooooooooooooong time ago.
  • edited February 2011

*walks around room*

thats a little...harsh. Lucas Arts made the Monkey Island Remakes and allowed Telltale to make Tales of Monkey Island in the past 2 years. I dont think they should be called the enemy.
  • edited February 2011
    They did fire the company president that gave the green-light for those projects.... then made an announcement that they would not be using outside game companies.....
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    They did fire the company president that gave the green-light for those projects.... then made an announcement that they would not be using outside game companies.....

they also said that they were creating fostering relationships with trusted external partners.
  • edited February 2011
    ToMI2 will be real. Even if it has to be Tales of Baboon Island, starring Dudepng Fourptimber.
  • edited February 2011
    hamza721 wrote: »
    they also said that they were creating fostering relationships with trusted external partners.

So there having there cake and eating it?
  • edited February 2011
    hamza721 wrote: »
    thats a little...harsh. Lucas Arts made the Monkey Island Remakes and allowed Telltale to make Tales of Monkey Island in the past 2 years. I dont think they should be called the enemy.

I'm kidding, relax :) When they're not releasing another Star-Wars thingy, they can be cool and I certanly don't consider them "the enemy"... it's just a bit of fun...

But the INVASION is NOT fun! We will crush those forums under our posts!!

Speaking of which...should we post in the Monkey Island section or in the Star Wars section?

Private OzzieMonkey has a point...but maybe we should take that further! Posting in the Star Wars section with Monkey Island names for threads muahahahaha!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, so everybody's going to be like: ''what is this doing in the Star Wars thread?, we should totally check it out!'' and when they open it they will see a huge thread about how TOMI is awesome, and that there should be a season 2 :D and then our forces from the telltale forums disguised as lucasarts forum members will post comments in those threads about how the guy who wrote the thread is right, and that there should be a season 2 of TOMI. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, so everybody's going to be like: ''what is this doing in the Star Wars thread?, we should totally check it out!'' and when they open it they will see a huge thread about how TOMI is awesome, and that there should be a season 2 :D and then our forces from the telltale forums disguised as lucasarts forum members will post comments in those threads about how the guy who wrote the thread is right, and that there should be a season 2 of TOMI. :)

Count me *puts on eye black* out. I mean in! In! I'm in!
  • edited February 2011
    YES!
    Write me up on the list cause this is gonna be swell.

Silverwolfpet, that was an inspiring speach, with its triumphant tone playing in the backround and everything. I admire your leadership.
    We will display what we want, without giving up our pride!!
  • edited February 2011
    they never said they wont let telltale do monkey island season 2.... wait until the 5 game announcements. if Tomi2 isn't one of the games then start the attack
  • edited February 2011
    That is what we're waiting for! February the 17th will be the date of the announcement. We shall attack afterward.

(I know we said the 16th, but I just re-checked the date... We'll attack on the 18th)

Let's hope for the best :)
  • edited February 2011
    Actually we should attack on the day before the announcement because if its announced we can all take credit for it :p
  • edited February 2011
    i don't see any reason that Lucas arts wouldn't allow them to make a sequel. Lucas arts doesn't need to help them and will still get money.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.