Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited February 2011
    To Mr. Meegan and the staff at LucasArts,

I must first off congratulate you on bringing to life one of the finest worlds I have ever explored in a game. I am of course, referring to Monkey Island. It has everything an adventure game should: a vast array of characters and personalities, beautiful and interesting locations, a brilliant soundtrack, great storylines and humour, and of course excellent puzzles that were not only logical and challenging, but perfectly integrated into the story.

In 2010 many fans of this great game were giving up hope of ever seeing this amazing franchise resurface when the announcement came that you’d be resurrecting the first game in glorious HD and at the same time, you had given Telltale permission to use the licence to create a brand new fifth adventure with our hero Guybrush Threepwood. Needless to say there was much excitement. Those games have since been released and played by every true Monkey Island fan. A whole decade we have had to wait and it was worth it.

As one of the long term Monkey Island fans, I would truly love it if Monkey Island got some attention once again. The Telltale game ‘Tales of Monkey Island’ left us with an open end that could lead to much more adventure, and it would mean so much to all the Monkey Island fans out there as well as myself if you were to lend your licence to Telltale for a second time, so that the great world in which the Monkey Island games takes place can be brought to life once again.

Many thanks,

Jennifer Higham, England.
  • edited February 2011
    LucasArts
    P.O. Box 29908
    San Francisco, CA 94129-0908

We've seen the power of whiny fans before. Hell, look at Family Guy. Let's do this thing.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes, we will. The deadline for submissions is 1st of march.
    I'll take all these, paste them in a document, and show you guys the final file, before printing. Then, you go and scan/draw your signatures to go along with the paragraphs. I'll print it as a big letter.

After all is done, I'll send it personally, special posting with tracking number to be sure it reaches LucasArts.
  • edited February 2011
    Dear LucasArts,

Quit changing Presidents. The last guy was the only decent President in 8 years. People actually like your games, like Monkey Island. You should respect that.

Tim
  • edited February 2011
    ore. Hell, look at Family Guy. Let's do this thing.

thats different.
    family guy was renewed because fox saw that it was getting a $#it load of money with DVD sales

the thing with monkey island is that it just doesn't generate as much money as a stars wars game will so its less likely to be made
  • edited February 2011
    Would you prefer I use Kim Possible as an example?
  • edited February 2011
    Dear LucasArts,
    I wouldn't normally stoop to this level but I'm going to anyway, so here I go:

I'm begging you, please, pretty please with extra sugar, sprinkles and a cherry on top; either develop or allow Telltale to develop a new Monkey Island game. I beg you from the very depths of my soul.

I can assure you that it will make a healthy profit, just as the fairly recent Tales of Monkey Island, Monkey Island: Special Edition and Monkey Island 2: Special Edition did. There is a hungry fan base for another installment of Guybrush's adventures. Monkey Island is by far the most popular and respected adventure game franchise of all time and the number of fans it attracts grows day by day.

For the love of all that is Holy, please make it happen.

Yours sincerely,
    Ed Davies (located in the UK)

P.S. Did I mention that a new game in the Monkey Island series wouldn't go amiss.
  • edited February 2011
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Dear LucasArts,

Quit changing Presidents. The last guy was the only decent President in 8 years. People actually like your games, like Monkey Island. You should respect that.

Tim

Please don't send that to LucasArts. Although I completely agree with what you've said, I don't think getting annoyed at them is a good way to make anyone listen. Imagine the new President reading (in a roundabout way) that you're saying he's not as good a President as Darrell Rodriguez. He's hardly going to have the desire to make your wish come true.
  • edited February 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    I say we try the Andy Dufresne method ;)

(Caution: language in the link)

This is a wonderful idea.
  • edited February 2011
    Dear LucasArts,

Eh, have them make one or don't. Both are good options. Whatever floats your boat.

-Rather Dashing
  • edited February 2011
    Dear Lucas arts.

You were one of the most prominent influences of the decade, it shows a lack of creativity and initiative for a company named Lucas arts to essentially only make Star Wars entities. Especially when in it's Golden Age, it made far more diverse titles that span an entire decade of nostalgia and classic video gaming...

The Golden Age of Lucas Arts is long since remembered and unforgettable. Adventure games are making a come back. As modern adventure games are being reviewed ,several are compared to Lucas arts adventure games, as a standard, games that are from over a decade ago...

As a company with such appeal, especially in this genre, I don't see any sensible reason, while exploring marketing options, why a new adventure game wouldn't be considered.

Nostalgia sells, and you have the appeal.

Any adventure game from Lucas Arts is surely a long a waited release, such as the likeliness of Duke Nukem Forever, or Indiana Jones 4. Surely you at least see a potential profit here, from production costs to what you can make on a new adventure game title?

Your big fan, Doodo...
  • edited February 2011
    Dear Lucasarts,

Telltale can handle Monkey Island. They've already proven that. There was a cliffhanger at the end of episode five, and leaving that unresolved would be totally unpirate-y. After all the popularity the Special Editions brought, another season would be a good idea. If Guybrush gets to go another adventure, you get more (free!) money.

Sincerely,
    A Concerned Citizen - Dr. Rocket Genius
  • edited February 2011
    Dear LucasArts,

One of my fondest memories of my childhood was experiencing the Curse of Monkey Island for the first time. Around Christmas last year, I sat down with my niece and let her play CoMI. I was there to help her when she needed it, but that only allowed us to bond further. She loved the look of the game, and how it felt like a movie, that she controlled.

The old audience still longs for more Monkey Island games, more adventure games of old. My niece is proof that there is a new audience out there as well. You just can't expect the adventure game audience to be anywhere near the mass of the Star Wars audience, or the first person shooter audience. Respect the fact that the audience still exists, and still longs for more games like the ones you used to make.

Sincerely,

(Mike) Marsbergen
  • edited February 2011
    Very nice, everybody!

Three more days and I'll start arranging these into a nice orderly manner. One question:

- Should we just paste the text into a word document and print it (with digital signatures?) or should we print these as forum posts (with the box around them and the date when they were written etcetc)?
    The difference would be that it will look different than an ordinary letter and it may get more attention.

Also, Davies, I understand your concern. Most of these are not 100% final. It's important to give people some time before they re-read their posts. Once I compile everything into a nice, clean document, I'll post the link to it here, everybody can download it and tell me if they want to change anything.

We can discuss it when we are done writing. :) No worries, we want everybody to be happy with the final letter.
  • edited February 2011
    Dear Lucasarts,

The first time I ever heard of Monkey Island was through Telltale. Now I'm trying to buy every single game! Me and my sister have bonded while playing MI games, and we both really want a new game. You really should let Telltale make another Monkey Island game. They are definently capable, and TOMI was great. A new game will please old fans and reach out to new ones. Please fans and make more money? Definently worth it!

Sincerly,
    Nathan Bowring
  • edited February 2011
    Very nice, everybody!

Three more days and I'll start arranging these into a nice orderly manner. One question:

- Should we just paste the text into a word document and print it (with digital signatures?) or should we print these as forum posts (with the box around them and the date when they were written etcetc)?
    The difference would be that it will look different than an ordinary letter and it may get more attention.

Also, Davies, I understand your concern. Most of these are not 100% final. It's important to give people some time before they re-read their posts. Once I compile everything into a nice, clean document, I'll post the link to it here, everybody can download it and tell me if they want to change anything.

We can discuss it when we are done writing. :) No worries, we want everybody to be happy with the final letter.
    If you actually want to affect anything, Telltale's forums seems like a small venue to obtain signatures. Maybe you should try someplace slightly larger, like Adventure Gamers? I'm not sure about other adventure communities, but that one is fairly large.
  • edited February 2011
    USE greenlight with ToMI season 2
    - Justin
  • edited February 2011
    Dear Lucasarts,

Not only have you proved the there is a current fanbase for the Monkey Island games (your Special Editions were quite successful), but Telltale has also shown that they are capable of making a quality Monkey Island game. By letting Telltale make another Monkey Island game, you would not be taxing any of your game making resources and could continue making any games you like, while getting royalties from the success of a game that you didn't even make! In other words, this would not only benefit the fans, but also Lucasarts as a whole.

Sincerely,
    Blooglspash
  • edited February 2011
    If you actually want to affect anything, Telltale's forums seems like a small venue to obtain signatures. Maybe you should try someplace slightly larger, like Adventure Gamers? I'm not sure about other adventure communities, but that one is fairly large.

Great idea! Since you know the site (which I don't), please make sure they all get the message. You have a way with stating a point, I'm sure they will like the idea :) Let us know, please, how it goes.

I will also post this on the worldofmi forums. Anyone has other sources?
  • edited February 2011
    Dear LucasArts,
    The success of the monkey island series has really benefited your public image. When you were paying homage to your most dearly beloved back library with stunning remakes, and licensing new a sequel, you showed the world that you didn't want to be seen as the star wars company anymore. However, despite the success of these ventures, the effect is beginning to dwindle. Please rekindle the flame by reviving the classic remake program (either with Curse of monkey island, or another classic series, such as maniac mansion), and leasing the licenses out to other companies, such as Telltale games.

Yours faithfully
    Liam
  • edited February 2011
    You could make a "Save Monkey Island" Facebook page or something.
  • edited February 2011
    I think the final date should be postponed to maybe May 1st. This would give us more time to get the word out to other sites and hence amass a larger collection of people.

I also think that it would be best to present peoples posts as a collection of letters (as opposed to forum posts in their original form). Trust me, the more professional the effort, the better the response will be. At the one end of the spectrum you might have someone saying "Woot! OMFG!! MI RULZ MAKE MORE BRUV!" (which will get chucked straight in the bin - heck, even I would bin that trash) and at the other end is a hand written letter from each of us (which isn't realistic in this case but we should at least aim towards that end of the spectrum).
  • edited February 2011
    So, what you're saying is, everyone send letters to me, I put them in one big envelope and send them to LA?
  • edited February 2011
    So, what you're saying is, everyone send letters to me, I put them in one big envelope and send them to LA?

No no, not at all. As I said that's unrealistic. What I mean is that we shouldn't present the posts in their original forum form (with the boarder and avatars) but instead format them to at least appear as typed letters (including correcting any spelling and grammar errors).
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I'm from southern Europe so I doubt I'll be sending a hand-written letter to LA...
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I'm from southern Europe so I doubt I'll be sending a hand-written letter to LA...

Yeah, that's the point I'm making though. It would be unrealistic. Maybe reread my post.
  • edited February 2011
    Dear LucasArts,
    please have a new Monkey Island game made by TellTale, pretty pretty please with sugar on top.
  • edited February 2011
    Or we'll dropkick you into the lava :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2011
    Dear Lucasarts.
    I want you to look at this at a financial standpoint.
    Tales clearly earned you a nice chunk of cash, and how much work did you have to do? Get the voice actors around? That was it.
    You can easily do that. Then guess what? Telltale works there magic and you earn more $$$. Now how does that sound because to me that sounds like a great deal.
  • edited March 2011
    Okay guys, last call before I start making the document. Good job so far :)
  • edited March 2011
    Okay guys, last call before I start making the document. Good job so far :)

Do you not think we should postpone the final date till May 1st in order to get more people on board?
  • edited March 2011
    And wait TWO months?

Hm... Well, either way, I have to start gathering the letters. Just to see how many we got so far.

Not sure about the two months waiting period. No comment on that one yet, but dully noted.
  • edited March 2011
    And wait TWO months?

Hm... Well, either way, I have to start gathering the letters. Just to see how many we got so far.

Not sure about the two months waiting period. No comment on that one yet, but dully noted.

Cool, but please note that the more people we get, the more likely LucasArts is to listen and in fact, does LucasArts even have a permanent President at present? If not, I don't think it's worth sending it until they do.

Sorry to be a pain in the arse Andrei but I don't see the point of rushing this if that means compromising the impact it may have on LucasArts.
  • edited March 2011
    Haha, relax man. I value opinions and always listen to what people say. Except little Timmy, I hate that kid.

I do wanna make this right! And we will make this right! ...just as soon as I can get myself to gather the posts and see where we are at. :p

I promise I will not runaway with your posts and send them to LA, okay? ...or sell them on eBay.
  • edited March 2011
    Haha, relax man. I value opinions and always listen to what people say. Except little Timmy, I hate that kid.

I bet you shoved him down the well,
  • edited March 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    I bet you shoved him down the well,

Shhhhhhhhh!

>.>

<.<

*bribes coolsome with $20*
  • edited March 2011
    Shhhhhhhhh!

>.>

<.<

*bribes coolsome with $20*

:cool:
    he totally fell due to natural causes.
  • edited March 2011
    I think that we should go for April 2nd, because if they see a giant letter with hundreds of people's wishes their just going to run over them with their finger and make a basketball out of it, and then throw it the trash. :D And if we send it on April 1st their not going to take us seriously!
  • edited March 2011
    I think that we should go for April 2nd, because if they see a giant letter with hundreds of people's wishes their just going to run over them with their finger and make a basketball out of it, and then throw it the trash. :D And if we send it on April 1st their not going to take us seriously!

If they mail it on April 1st, Lucasarts won't get it until a few days later.
  • edited March 2011
    Dear Lucasarts,

Monkey Island is the best thing your company has ever done, and avoiding it is an incredibly illogical thing to do.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.