Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Dear LucasArts,

Star Wars is cool and all, but, seriously, give Telltale the license to create a new Monkey Island game (or create one yourself). There are certainly a lot of fans hungry for another adventure featuring our favorite inept hero. If I'm not mistaken, Tales of Monkey Island was Telltale's best-selling game, and the special editions have certainly shown that this isn't a money-wasting endeavor. It's clear that there is no lack of brand loyalty when it comes to the Monkey Island franchise.

On a more personal note, Curse of Monkey Island is one of my favorite video games of all time. I can't bear the thought of this series dying off so...uncerimoniously. So, please, do what the fans want....do what is right. Give us a new Monkey Island game.

Sincerely,
    Nicholas Caluda
  • edited March 2011
    Dear LucasArts,

Have you seen bear? Big, hairless bear? In Russia, bears not so big. And less hair.

Sincerely,
    StarEye
    AKA Hunter of bears
  • edited March 2011
    Ok, I posted the topic/thread on the worldofmi forums.

Who can post this somewhere else, please? We should extend this to other forums.
    I postponed the letter gathering, we seem to bring people to this. I've read your letters, all of them are very nice. Well, except one or two who are a bit cheeky :p Nevertheless, we'll edit everything together.

Can we, please, have a list of sites/forums where this thread will be published? Thank you!
  • edited March 2011
    i don't think that its Lucas arts fault that telltale is not making another monkey island. i think that telltale just wants to make big series now and aren't interested in underground games like SAM and max and monkey island anymore
  • edited March 2011
    Wasn't it supposed to be put up on the adventure gamers community? Someone who's a member? Cause I've never been on that site before.
    Hmm. I don't know so many appropiate sites for this... :/

And also, I saw someone who wrote "we want Tales of Monkey Island Season 2!!!! :)" as a wall post on the Monkey Island adventure log on facebook. That means that there actually are even more people out there who wants this. But i don't know if it is so smart to write about this there. It's the official LucasArts facebook page for Monkey Island, so I guess that would be pretty weird...
  • edited March 2011
    Bump
  • edited March 2011
    Butt - Bring up this thread!
  • edited March 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Bump

bumpity bump!
  • edited March 2011
    i don't think that its Lucas arts fault that telltale is not making another monkey island. i think that telltale just wants to make big series now and aren't interested in underground games like SAM and max and monkey island anymore

I strongly disagree... I think that for the most part the people working at TTG are just as big of fans of those characters that we all are... I think the licenses they are choosing to make fit in well with their current library of games. I still have high hopes for another season of ToMI and I would be extremely surprised if they never made another S&M game again.

I would love for a new ToMI right away... but there are benefits to waiting.. Every game TTG makes they seem to learn some new tricks.
  • edited March 2011
    Dear Mr. Meegan,

LucasArts is a company that I have respected greatly in the past and still respect today. I own many of the games developed by LucasArts, and have gotten a significant amount of pleasure out of each one. However, the games that have brought me the most enjoyment and pleasure as a gamer have been the 'Monkey Island' games. Now, the 'Monkey Island' series is something that I'm quite fanatical about - I love everything about it. It was in 2009 that LucasArts allowed the company Telltale Games to develop an episodic season of 'Monkey Island', and I'm here to discuss my desire for Telltale to be given the opportunity to work on a second season. But firstly, allow me to put you in my shoes.

The 'Monkey Island' series was a part of my childhood, and is a series that I have continued to love even as I have grown up and matured, as it is a game that can appeal to intelligent people of all ages. I've always appreciated the writing, the storytelling, the atmosphere, the quality, and the great amount of depth within all four of the LucasArts-developed Monkey Island games. This is why I was disappointed when LucasArts decided to discontinue the development of any more 'Monkey Island' games (for some time, anyway). As you probably know, it was nearly a decade that passed without there being any news of a new 'Monkey Island' game. It was towards the latter part of this ten-year period that many of the series' fans lost hope; accepting and conceding the probability that their beloved adventure game series truly was no more. However, June 2009, the announcement came from Telltale Games that they had been allowed to develop a brand new, episodic Monkey Island game. Though skeptical and concerned as to how the game would turn out, I was still absolutely overjoyed at the news; I was going to be able to experience an all-new and original installment into the Monkey Island series! This was more than just a fan game; this was more than just a minor addition to the canon; this was an all-new Monkey Island game that I would be able to play, for the first time in almost a decade. My level of excitement was ridiculous, and my expectations were unreasonably high.

However, I wasn't let down at all by Telltale. They well-and-truly did justice to the classic LucasArts adventure series by creating something that felt like 'Monkey Island', that looked like 'Monkey Island', that sounded like 'Monkey Island', that had the humour of 'Monkey Island' and something that had the charm of 'Monkey Island'; something that was the 'Monkey Island' that the fans had always known and loved. They did the best job that they possibly could have with the franchise; it pleased the fans, it got great reviews, and it sold well. I think it can be almost unanimously agreed that it was not a mistake for LucasArts to temporarily put the license in the hands of Telltale; it paid off in many areas. And every installment of the series was an improvement upon the last, pleasing fans more and more as the series progressed. And with the end of the series, us, as fans, naturally wanted more. It wasn't as though the content of 'Tales of Monkey Island' was insubstantial; it's just that it was so darned good! Also, the final episode left us with an open ending, which led the fans to believe that there was more to come in the near future. We patiently waited a year in hope that Telltale would perhaps announce a second season - this was not the case. The fans generally thought something along the lines of "perhaps Telltale don't want to rush into a second season too fast". However, many of us began to worry when it was reported that LucasArts would be halting "the majority of external development". We thought that this would probably be the end of any hope that us 'Monkey Island' fans would see another season of 'Tales of Monkey Island' from Telltale. It has now almost been two years now since the announcement of season 1, and there is no mention from either LucasArts or Telltale on a season 2 of 'Tales of Monkey Island'. Some of us are beginning to worry that we're going to experience something similar to the 2000-2009 era, when we saw a drought of 'Monkey Island' games; when we saw a series with so much potential and life left in it simply be abandoned because there was no market for adventure games at the time.

Well, now there is a market for adventure games; some may even say that we're entering a second 'golden era' for adventure games. As online distribution has become more pervasive, smaller developers have taken to creating adventure games of their own without risk of failing financially, and they're now able to make their voices heard and get they're games noticed by making their creations available on popular devices such as the iPhone. These technological advancements have allowed adventure games to once again step out into the limelight and be embraced in mainstream gaming culture; it's sparked a new interest in this great genre. This is why season one of 'Tales of Monkey Island' was such a great move; it was released just as this resurgence had begun to take place. And this rise in adventure game popularity has not fallen, with 'Back to the Future: The Game' already being the most successful game in Telltale's history, with Double Fine achieving success with the puzzle-orientated 'Stacking', and even independent company Amanita Design receiving relatively high sales with 'Machinarium'. Also, Telltale are constantly progressing, maturing and improving as a company, meaning that they can take the franchise to even greater levels. Now is the perfect time to lend the rights to 'Monkey Island' to Telltale once more. Capitalize upon the renewed interest in adventure games, have faith in the company who did wonderful things with the 'Monkey Island' franchise, and allow Telltale to once again develop a 'Monkey Island' game.

Thank you for your time and attention,
    Hayden
  • edited March 2011
    Dude! That's one helluva PARAGRAPH! Hahahaha!

In two weeks we should have the letter ready. Does everybody agree with this?

Any news from other forums, did people start posting/writing there?
  • edited March 2011
    Dude! That's one helluva PARAGRAPH! Hahahaha!

In two weeks we should have the letter ready. Does everybody agree with this?

Any news from other forums, did people start posting/writing there?

Oh, whoops. I forgot that it was only meant to be one paragraph :o. Umm, should I post a short version?
  • edited March 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    Oh, whoops. I forgot that it was only meant to be one paragraph :o. Umm, should I post a short version?

Hm... I like it when people do their best. In a normal situation I would say "Leave it like that, it's awesome".
    In this case... I don't expect the CEO to read every single paragraph... but I can safely assume that he may be discouraged to read your paragraph if it's that huge :)

From a logical point of view I would say: "Yup, a bit shorter please".
    But I'll go with whatever you decide. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Well, I'd love to leave it as it is. But... I'll see what I can do :). In hindsight, going that big was slightly ridiculous.
  • edited March 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    In hindsight, going that big was slightly ridiculous.

Not at all :)
  • edited March 2011
    Really? Thanks. Well, heck, maybe I should just leave it as it is (I've always sucked at cutting down my writing anyway). Even if it is illogical, I think I'd like to keep it that length simply because if it was any shorter, I wouldn't be saying all of what I feel like saying; that's what's on my mind, so I guess that's what'll go on the page.

Edit: I have a terrible tendency to recreate the details of my indecision in post form.
  • edited March 2011
    Okay, consider it added :)

Anyone else? C'mon guys, we're doing great! :D
  • edited March 2011
    Dear LucasArts.
    Please update your Monkey Island page on Facebook. We need news about new monkey island soon, or something other adventure related. We all miss Guybrush's long hair, and his beautiful voice... "Ahoy Mateys!" Don't let LeChuck (or Darth Vader) keep you hostage anymore! Return of the Pirate!

Sincerly, devoted, die hard Monkey Island fan.
    Atle
  • edited March 2011
    I just realized that I have yet to contribute to this! And that, my friends, it unforgivable!

Dear LucasArts,
    I can hardly call myself a longtime Monkey Island fan. I wasn't introduced to the series until shortly before Tales, but in this time I've come to love the characters, story, and world immensely. The thought of this wonderful series ending just after it began for me is horribly saddening. So please, let Telltale have a second go at Monkey Island. Guybrush is more than deserving of another adventure.

Sincerely,
    Anthony
  • edited March 2011
    So who thinks we will see a season 2 update at E3 this year!!
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry I just joined but will say something

Dear Lucas Arts,
    I have been playing the monkey island games since Curse was released and I have enjoyed them all. I really did enjoy Tales, and it’s a game that everyone can play. I think that you should continue on with the series and let TellTale make another game. You would make so many people happy.

Sincerely,
    Ben Hannibal
  • edited March 2011
    How many letters do we have so far?
  • edited March 2011
    Well considering ToMI is TTG's most popular game, won them the most awards and made the most money of all their games, I am certain there will be a season 2. Lucas Arts also made lots of money off the game and it required no effort for them, so I would be surprised if they objected to making more, as they get money for nothing.
  • edited March 2011
    I have a feeling we are probably making TTG very happy by showing them how much anticipation there is a for a sequel to TMI (whatever it shall be titled, as certainly they will not go with TMI again). I personally think we will almost definitely know about a future MI game by the end of the summer.
  • edited March 2011
    February 2012 is my bet for an announcement. After they're mostly all done with these 7 projects they're taking on, I'm sure their focus will shift to 'Monkey Island'. I can't imagine they'd keep us waiting any longer.
  • edited March 2011
    Dear LucasArts.

The tale begins on a cold and dark winter day in the very northern part of Sweden many many years ago. A teenager sits behind his computer awaiting an installation process to finish. The rest is history...
    The teenager was I and the game was The Curse of Monkey Island. Ever since that day I have been utterly amazed by how captivating, fun and entertaining an adventure game can be. In my opinion Monkey Island is The Game (notice the capital T and G!) to which no other game can compete.
    I have the utmost respect for what your company has created and I'm confident that you will keep going down the very same road that you started back in 1990.

Thank you for listening!

Sincerely,
    Marcus Israelsson
  • edited March 2011
    Dear Lucasarts,

You used to make all sorts of amazing games that did not involve lightsabers. Now I'm not saying that Star Wars games should disappear, but please, give Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, and Indiana Jones another shot at adventure game glory.
  • edited March 2011
    are you guys asking for lucas arts to make another monkey island game or for telltale?
    most likely telltale didn't want to make another monkey island game because they wanted to focus on bigger games.
  • edited March 2011
    I think if it were out of the question for Telltale to ever make another Monkey Island, someone would have posted that by now, to save us the trouble. When Telltale remains silent on things, it means no promises either way.
  • edited March 2011
    hamza721 wrote: »
    are you guys asking for lucas arts to make another monkey island game or for telltale?
    most likely telltale didn't want to make another monkey island game because they wanted to focus on bigger games.

You mean like Puzzle Agent, Hector and Fables?
  • edited March 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    You mean like Puzzle Agent, Hector and Fables?

This is what I was thinking :D. When it comes to adventure gaming, there isn't exactly anything much bigger than 'Monkey Island'. Though I suppose he's referring to 'BttF', 'JP' and 'The Walking Dead'. Even so, though, I'm sure that a new 'Monkey Island' game would probably sell an equal amount of copies as each of these three games will, especially since 'Tales...' brought so many new fans to the series.

So I don't really think "telltale didn't want to make another monkey island game because they wanted to focus on bigger games" is really correct. Because, to quote Yahtzee Croshaw, "if adventure games were a nation Monkey Island would be on the one dollar bill".
  • edited March 2011
    I might get a lot of flak for this, but I want LucasArts to make the next game. I liked TMI well enough, but LA did a FANTASTIC job with LRSE. Like really really really good. The music was top notch, the graphics were beautiful. It was really awesome. Also, do you remember that promo video, in 3D? Can you imagine a whole game like that?! PERFECTION.

Now if we can convince them to have it take place where COMI ends and pretend like the stories of the last two never happened...
  • edited March 2011
    DeLuca wrote: »
    Now if we can convince them to have it take place where COMI ends and pretend like the stories of the last two never happened...

I liked them both and why would they have to pretend they don't exist there's only a few references to past games in each title so I don't see why they would have to pretend they don't exist just take TMI's approach with EMI and made as lil reference as possible (and only if they wanted to take that approach cos I think all MI games are great)
  • edited March 2011
    I justy want the series to become more of a Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood, in that one game doesn't have to follow up on another. It's kinda how TOMI was, but every game from now on should be more like that. New stories, new adventures. Heck, I'd even see Guybrush going on an adventure all by himself, while Elaine stays home doing Governor work. Maybe Guybrush ends up in trouble, maybe a voodoo spell went horribly wrong (thanks to Guybrush being fairly forgiving when it comes to quality ingredients) and he opens up a portal that drags him in and he ends up stranded on some huge Island with only a very few civil inhabitants. Zombies, Skeletons, puzzles and ancient artifacts that needs to be combine in bizarre ways to help him open a portal to get back home.

Okay, here I am, making up potential stories in my head again. When will it ever stop!?
  • edited March 2011
    Hi, can't we just have some people say there should be a MI5 and some not?
    You're all starting to sound like a democracy
  • edited March 2011
    hey fellow guybrush freaks no wait make that fans lol. at any rate is there any word or any hint at all from tt games on if there are any plans or if a tales of monkey island season 2 are in the making? I bought the full tales of monkey island set off of d2drive and the last episode does the episodic cliffhanger leaving you wondering will there be more in the story line or will tt games do what penny arcade games did to on the rainslick precipice of darkness. I hope they continue with it.
  • edited March 2011
    Mordaki987 wrote: »
    [...]is there any word or any hint at all from tt games on if there are any plans or if a tales of monkey island season 2 are in the making?

Hey, welcome to the forums!

No, I'm afraid there's been no word on a ToMI 2 being in production. All Telltale have expressed is their willingness to do a second season.
  • edited March 2011
    that kinda sucks i still have my copy of ugh i forget the name of it it was the last of the monkey island series lucasarts did i just remember it was the first of the monkey island games done in 3d. it was also the first time i think myself or anyone had ever heard the name dario argento. if i spelled the name incorrectly please forgive me. at any rate i hope that lucasarts does end up giving the go ahead to do a season 2. I would be greatly disappointed if the game was left hanging where it is now. as that is basically what hothead games/penny arcade adevntures did with on the rainslick precipice of darkness episode 3. The canceled it and went on to make deathspank without any plans or notions to continue the episodic adventures of the 2 main characters. thanks for responding and hope to see more of guybrush in the future.
  • edited March 2011
    Mordaki987 wrote: »
    that kinda sucks i still have my copy of ugh i forget the name of it it was the last of the monkey island series lucasarts did i just remember it was the first of the monkey island games done in 3d.

Escape from Monkey Island.
  • edited March 2011
    yeah thats the one! lol 43 and my memory is already going lmao!
    coolsome wrote: »
    Escape from Monkey Island.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.