The Last Item You Purchased?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Am I alone in thinking it wasn't very good?

(Waits patiently for Dashing, prolific hater of all modern mainstream movies, to agree.)

I don't know if you are alone, but I enjoyed it immensely. I wouldn't say its the greatest movie that I have ever scene, but I will say that it's one of the cleverest animated movies to come out within the last ten years or so. And I loved that there was no wasted space. Even the throwaway jokes at the beginning became major plot points by the end.

All this, and I'm something of a sucker for villain protagonists and this one made up for the disappointment that was Despicable Me.
  • edited January 2012
    but I will say that it's one of the cleverest animated movies to come out within the last ten years or so.
    Define "clever". And "animated". And "movie.".
  • edited January 2012
    Define "clever". And "animated". And "movie.".

That's nitpicky and you know it. Though, I will also amend a "that I've seen" to the end of my previous statement. For all I know there could be something better out there that I missed.
  • edited January 2012
    That's nitpicky and you know it.
    I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from on this because I have no idea what the statement actually means. I did not see what I'd consider to be a clever film when when I watched Megamind, so when I read this I don't know what you mean. Moment to moment gag stuff? Overall structure? Premise? Dialog writing? The use of clever here really and literally means nothing to me.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from on this because I have no idea what the statement actually means. I did not see what I'd consider to be a clever film when when I watched Megamind, so when I read this I don't know what you mean. Moment to moment gag stuff? Overall structure? Premise? Dialog writing? The use of clever here really and literally means nothing to me.

Alright, if you really want to go through this thoroughly perhaps I'll just make it into "avoids the pitfalls commonly seen in most animated movies intended for children in the last ten years". Supposedly throwaway gags made at the beginning of the film are never really forgotten and there is no wasted space in the movie. My favorite example (spoilers...kinda) is we have the protagonist dehydrating garbage at the beginning to impress the girl. Mildly amusing, in the sense that it's yet another case of using advanced technology to accomplish menial tasks. But then later, during the being dumped scene with the rain, all the garbage starts becoming rehydrated, popping up again over the city. I found this and other such moments a really nice touch.

Yes, it doesn't have a particularly original storyline, but it does tell an old story in a way that I found compelling. Especially how they left no loose ends in the story. Everything had a purpose for parts in the later narrative which is something that often find lacking in movies. And of course, the soundtrack was fantastic. But then again, it was also written by one of my favorite composers, so I might be slightly biased on that point.

TL;DR It was fun. You remember fun, right?
  • edited January 2012
    Alright, if you really want to go through this thoroughly perhaps I'll just make it into "avoids the pitfalls commonly seen in most animated movies intended for children in the last ten years".
    OH! That makes a lot more sense to me and is something I could more or less agree with.
    :(
  • edited January 2012
    Insane 2 £19.54
    From Steam

For a launch price, its very reasonable, and I hear it works good with a 360 controller.
    (Plus its hard to find a good arcadey PC racing game these days)

Looks like Motorstorm, which isn't a bad thing since I like that game and wished there was a PC version.
  • edited January 2012
    OH! That makes a lot more sense to me and is something I could more or less agree with.

Alrighty then. You should try to have more fun.

Though, it should cheer you up a little bit that I'm starting up Fallout 2 again. After New Vegas, I really felt the need to complete my Fallout education.
  • edited January 2012
    Rather Dashing described in two posts. Well done, team.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Pulling movies to pieces can be fun!!
  • edited January 2012
    PIZZA! Grilled chicken and spinach, to be exact.
  • edited January 2012
    PIZZA! Grilled chicken and spinach, to be exact.

Try it with feta cheese and a light pesto/ranch sauce!
  • edited January 2012
    metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-ps3-boxart.jpg
  • edited January 2012
    coolsome wrote: »
    metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-ps3-boxart.jpg

That one's missing MGS1, the only MGS that counts.
  • edited January 2012
    That one's missing MGS1, the only MGS that counts.

I have that on my PSN account anyway. Its a good thing the HD collection has Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake or there would be barley any Solid Snake action in the collection.
  • edited January 2012
    21824116_4.jpg

Buying cheers me up and I need it right now thats why Iv been on a shopping spree.
  • edited January 2012
    Assasins Creed Brotherhood and Revelations. Need to work on the second one tonight.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2012
    A roof over my head for another month (luckily, this building throws the walls in for free).
  • edited January 2012
    I think VeronicanPlay may have a slight fixation on Megamind.

And what gives you that idea? :p
    Shush. She could be on Twilight or some other ****, but she's adoring far better stuff instead. ;)

I can't stand Twilight, I would rather watch paint dry than look at that garbage.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Watching paint dry can be quite an interesting thing while you're in the process of making a picture. :D
  • edited January 2012
    ...Or if the alternative is playing bad video games.
  • edited January 2012
    2001: Space Odyssey (As I just read the book, and oddly enough, the books sequel is based on the film adaptation rather than the book.), Frontios (the only Fifth Doctor serial I have yet to see), and The recue/The romans (also Doctor who).

All for £1.40.

Plus a £20 gift certificate.
  • edited January 2012
    Saints Row 2, PC Download from Amazon.

I didn't know if the download version came with a Steam key, so I called Amazon customer service and asked. The rep said that it didn't seem to require Steam, but the product key could be used to activate in Steam if desired.
  • edited January 2012
    Okay you people, I broke down and bought Portal 2.... Don't make me regret it!
  • edited January 2012
    Going to wait in anticipation and see what Wheatley wagon you will jump on, like or hate. :p
  • edited January 2012
    Wheatley is the stuff!
  • edited January 2012
    Some books - all 5 bucks! Fearless Fourteen, Something Borrowed, The Younger Gods and A Princess For Landover. Plus 5 kids books and a scrapbooking one.
  • edited January 2012
    Star Wars: Heir to the Empire - 20th Anniversary Edition

This edition of the book is just fantastic. The Introduction is nice enough, but the entire book is filled with notations in the margins about practically every page. Zahn writes a lot about his thought process at various points, where things didn't turn out as expected, and he's SURPRISINGLY candid about his struggles with Lucasfilm Licensing when writing the book.
  • edited January 2012
    Root Beer and - and this still amazes me - LUCKY CHARMS.

I found somewhere in the UK that sells Lucky Charms.

HOLY SHIT.

This stuff is like gold-dust over here. They stopped selling it years ago and you can only get it from import stores. But I found some! Man, I am gonna be hyper tomorrow morning! Woo!
  • edited January 2012
    Going to wait in anticipation and see what Wheatley wagon you will jump on, like or hate. :p

Megamind is awesome!!
  • edited January 2012

Personally, I like Wheatley. He's usually very helpful, and he sounds very intelligent, despite being kind of a ditz at times.

I think the problem that most people have with Wheatley is that he talks a lot, and it can get kind of annoying. I don't see it. Then again, I'm usually immune to annoyance. If I can sit through the clumsiness of Jar-Jar Binks and the sugar-crazed hyperactivity of Pinkie Pie, I think I can handle the ramblings of a british droid, don't you?
  • edited January 2012
    427955479_o.jpg

A3 Poster.
  • edited January 2012
    I found somewhere in the UK that sells Lucky Charms.

HOLY SHIT.

This stuff is like gold-dust over here. They stopped selling it years ago and you can only get it from import stores. But I found some! Man, I am gonna be hyper tomorrow morning! Woo!

You could pass for a leprechaun....what...WHAT!?
  • edited January 2012
    Strabble.
  • edited January 2012
    Strabble.

It's a Stolichnaya rabble, a mob of Russians who are out to steal your vodka. RUN!
  • edited January 2012
    rr2010i_original_crop_650x440.jpg?1322521251

Ordered the PPV for Sunday.
  • edited January 2012
    Okay, I beat it. Wheatley had his moments...honestly, I liked GLaDOS more.
  • edited January 2012
    Johro wrote: »
    Okay, I beat it. Wheatley had his moments...honestly, I liked GLaDOS more.

The Co-op mode is pure GLaDOS.
  • edited January 2012
    Chillerama, Tales From The Crypt Season 5 and 6 pack, and Pee Wee's Playhouse The Complete Collection.
  • edited January 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    The Co-op mode is pure GLaDOS.
    Also the co-op mode is the actually GOOD part of the game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.