The Last Item You Purchased?

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Damn. I'm so tempted to get this. But I wouldn't be able to wear it because I don't really fit ANY of those categories.

Not fitting any of the categories makes it all the more amusing!

Don't let under 21 stop you, either. It's a shitty, arbitrary law.

It's fucking ridiculous. At the age of 18 you're old enough to vote, drive a car, smoke tobacco, get married, have a child, even go to war... but no drinking, nope. You're not responsible enough for that yet.
  • edited May 2012
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    It's fucking ridiculous. At the age of 18 you're old enough to vote, drive a car, smoke tobacco, get married, have a child, even go to war... but no drinking, nope. You're not responsible enough for that yet.

In the United States, at least, you can own - in most jurisdictions - a semiautomatic rifle at age 18 without any oversight or training whatsoever, but a beer is verboten. Let that sink in for a while. I got my AKM at age 19. Couldn't drink for two more years, though.
  • edited May 2012
    In the United States, at least, you can own - in most jurisdictions - a semiautomatic rifle at age 18, but a beer is verboten. Let that sink in for a while. I got my AKM at age 19. Couldn't drink for two more years, though.
    So, what you're saying is we need to raise age restrictions on firearms to well over 21.
  • edited May 2012
    Nice one.
  • edited May 2012
    So, what you're saying is we need to raise age restrictions on firearms to well over 21.

What I'm saying, Dash, is that it's fairly strange that I was able to get a gun - a tool that requires discipline and responsibility to use in anything but a reckless manner - without any oversight whatsoever at 19 while beer - which harms only oneself (usually and when used in ungodly quantities) is off limits until you're 21.

I think people aged 18 should be able to drink. Also, for what it's worth, I think that maybe we should ensure that people have some measure of competency when purchasing firearms.
  • edited May 2012
    I believe that the age restriction on alcohol is based on studies that show that underage drinking can lead to an alcohol dependency or damage brain maturation. However, the age of twenty-one is still rather arbitrary. Some people's brains mature earlier and some later.

I'm holding out on drinking for awhile yet. I want ALL of the mileage out of my brain.
  • edited May 2012
    I believe that the age restriction on alcohol is based on studies that show that underage drinking can lead to an alcohol dependency or damage brain maturation. However, the age of twenty-one is still rather arbitrary. Some people's brains mature earlier and some later.

I'm holding out on drinking for awhile yet. I want ALL of the mileage out of my brain.

pennywise.gif

That's funny.

As a side note: this gif is far creepier than I ever dreamt it could be.
  • edited May 2012
    It's hilarious. That scene is great.
  • edited May 2012
    Johro wrote: »
    It's hilarious. That scene is great.

Finally, we agree. It's probably my favorite scene in the movie. I wish Pennywise did birthdays~
  • edited May 2012
    capsule_467x181.jpg
  • edited May 2012
    pennywise.gif

That's funny.

Mike disagrees.
  • edited May 2012
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    capsule_467x181.jpg
    And you said you wouldn't. Tut tut.

As for me...

header_292x136.jpg?t=1320101581
  • edited May 2012
    At the age of 18 you're old enough to vote, drive a car, smoke tobacco, get married, have a child, even go to war... but no drinking, nope.

I thought I had a perfect comeback, in that the drinking age was still 18 on military bases. At least it was when I was under 21. So if you actually did go to war, they'd let you drink. Except I just checked, and that's not the case anymore. Way to go, Congress.
    edited May 2012
    I believe that the age restriction on alcohol is based on studies that show that underage drinking can lead to an alcohol dependency or damage brain maturation.

So you're saying that the same country that allows creationism to be taught as an "alternative" to evolutionary theory has used hard science to come up with the age 21 law? Yeah right. :p

And even if they HAD considered the brain maturity angle, that just makes leaving the legal age at 18 for all the other stuff even MORE nonsensical. So it's ok to go into a warzone AND POTENTIALLY DIE, or to get started on your smoking habit and fuck up your lungs, or put yourself in control of a vehicle which can harm/kill yourself and others when driven recklessly (remember statistically it's young male drivers who are most often involved in accidents, largely because of risk-taking behaviours that are potentially due to the prefrontal cortex still developing)... but good to know the government will help protect everyone's delicate brains by not allowing them to consume alcohol until the age of 21.

I think it's much more likely to be a puritanical hangover (haha) from the prohibition era.
  • edited May 2012
    So you're saying that the same country that allows creationism to be taught as an "alternative" to evolutionary theory has used hard science to come up with the age 21 law? Yeah right. :p

And even if they HAD considered the brain maturity angle, that just makes leaving the legal age at 18 for all the other stuff even MORE nonsensical. So it's ok to go into a warzone AND POTENTIALLY DIE, or to get started on your smoking habit and fuck up your lungs, or put yourself in control of a vehicle which can harm/kill yourself and others when driven recklessly (remember statistically it's young male drivers who are most often involved in accidents, largely because of risk-taking behaviours that are potentially due to the prefrontal cortex still developing)... but good to know the government will help protect everyone's delicate brains by not allowing them to consume alcohol until the age of 21.

I think it's much more likely to be a puritanical hangover (haha) from the prohibition era.

There's nothing that says it couldn't be both. People are a lot more keen on believing and referring to scientific studies when such studies agree with their world-view. Though now that you brought creationism into this, I have a very strong urge to go and punch something.
  • edited May 2012
    Cheap Technica Wireless Keyboard and Mouse bundle: £15

Its for my Raspberry Pi.

Best thing about it is the reciever is that not only is it tiny, but it controls both keyboard AND Mouse.
    (Just plug in the usb adapter and turn the mouse on. The keyboard responds accordingly)

Its light, and pretty flimsy, but it works great on my Pi! :D
    (Just plugged it in, and it instantly worked like a treat!)

Now I'll have an extra USB port to play with! :D
    edited May 2012
    A souvenir fridge magnet for my Mum, from a stall near the departure gate. It was tagged $4.95. When I took it to the register the shopkeeper said it had to be cash... I didn't have enough, so left it. :(

Just as the plane was boarding I ran back over and said, "Well I do have $3.25 in cash, would you give it to me for that?" SCORE. :D

Attachment not found.

I tend to get Mum something from most every country I visit - not planned, just a habit I've fallen into to remind her I love her (especially since I don't get to see her very often). It's nice to go home and see those little things from around the world all lined up on her dresser. :)
  • edited May 2012
    Completed my Tex Murphy collection with the purchase of Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive & Overseer.
  • edited May 2012
    51iI%2BNiSDOL.jpg

I got it from Australia because it wont be out in UK tiill July and we use same blu ray region as them.
  • edited May 2012
    The Humble Indie Bundle V.
  • edited June 2012
    2 bottles of Root Beer (on the wall), a tub of Lucky Charms (since they were out of boxes :( ), a Wii Motion Plus dongle (£3? Bargain), mini ninjas (Wii, £4, not for me) and a bag of crisps (not saying which ones).
  • edited June 2012
    My Little Pony Blind Bags.
    At this rate I'll never find Applejack :c
    edited June 2012
    and a bag of crisps (not saying which ones).

Well, now I'm intrigued. Monster Munch?
  • edited June 2012
    Wii Motion Plus dongle (£3? Bargain)

I have Wii Remote Plus controllers, so I don't need the Motion Plus attachment.
  • edited June 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I have Wii Remote Plus controllers, so I don't need the Motion Plus attachment.
    I do as well, but it's for the same person mini ninjas was so they can eventually play Zelda.

And it was McCoys. I hope your curiosity is satisfied now (still not telling you what flavour though :p).
  • edited June 2012
    jBaRn.jpg
    This.

Also, put in my FFL notice to buy one of these...

300px-Pistolet_makarova_pm_travmatik_com_by-sa.jpg

Also, working on setting up a decent new PC.

I kind of got a lot of money.
  • edited June 2012
    I went and cleaned out a yard sale.
    -2 large Puzz-3Ds
    -Civ 4 complete
    -Civ V (Cd key was used, but I wanted the install disc)
    -Medieval 2 Gold
    Age of Empires 2 & 3 Complete
    -$7 for everything. F**k yeah.
  • edited June 2012
    snapshot-5.png
    Batman mask! :)

Vam.jpg

Phil LaMarr's autograph!
  • edited June 2012
    It was way overdue but finally bought me a:

110740ipadcameraconnect.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • edited June 2012
    Nothing . I'm currently broke and trading Steam and Desura keys for GOG games .
  • edited June 2012
    A microwave
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2012
    New month, new budget. I'd want some Alpha EF Markers... but I'm unsure if I should go ahead... :(
  • edited June 2012
    Petrol and Root Beer. Put one in the car and drank the other. Doctor says I can leave once I have a nap and eat something, the mechanic says i'm a mooncat.
    edited June 2012
    I haven't had one of these for about 8 months. Figured it was time to buy a mirror after I caught myself trying to check my outfit in the murky reflection of a blank TV.

SbJaN.png
  • edited June 2012
    I haven't had one of these for about 8 months. Figured it was time to buy a mirror after I caught myself trying to check my outfit in the murky reflection of a blank TV.

SbJaN.png
    Think about it:

At this rate, you might have a fully-furnished apartment within the next few DECADES!
    edited June 2012
    Think about it:

At this rate, you might have a fully-furnished apartment within the next few DECADES!

ISN'T IT INSANE?! Feels like I'm rushing in!

I don't think I can physically fit much else in the apartment. Just waiting on the couch to be delivered, hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks. I still haven't used the TV because I don't have anything to sit on while watching it. :p

One more thing I do want to get is a couple of champagne flutes... I'm happy enough drinking wine out of a tumbler, but champagne deserves better.

I'm EVEN toying with the idea of asking the super to fix the oven. :eek:

Of course all this is only because I expect to have someone visitng on a regular basis now. I wouldn't go to all this effort for myself.
  • edited June 2012
    If my line keeps fucking up, I'm adding a new ISP to this purchase list. This is the first bandwidth I've been able to muster in days. If you ever move to the South for some unholy reason, avoid Charter like the plague.
    edited June 2012
    Ew7Y9.png

Tickets! Front row, centre orchestra. I've only ever seen an amateur production of "Anything Goes" before, so I'm really looking forward to this.
  • edited June 2012
    Ew7Y9.png

Tickets! Front row, centre orchestra. I've only ever seen an amateur production of "Anything Goes" before, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Tell me they have the original lyrics for the songs and not the 60s revival lyrics. Please? Even if it's a lie?

Just, you know, tell me if you're lying.

Oh, and enjoy. It's a good musical.
    edited June 2012
    Tell me they have the original lyrics for the songs and not the 60s revival lyrics. Please? Even if it's a lie?

It's very much like the 1987 Broadway version (check out the handy-dandy table on Wikipedia).

Were the lyric changes you're talking about mostly to "You're the Top", or are they broader than that?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.