"The Great Adventure Bundle 2010"

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Eugh, i've tried everything except installing windows 3.1 into dosbox which sounds like a LOT of work just to play one freaking game.
    So... the version of KQ7 included here... it's the dos version? Will it run through Dosbox or similar?
  • edited September 2010
    Yes, it's the DOS version and uses DOSbox to run.
  • edited September 2010
    holmja wrote: »
    Surprised to see that the unlock #s got reduced. Puzzle Agent is already available and Sam & Max is now set at 5000. Wish they could have included the second Penny Arcade game though.

Agreed.

Penny Arcade Episode 2 unlock at ??? please?
  • edited September 2010
    I just wish I hadn't bought Puzzle agent last week, literally two DAYS before this was announced. Kinda... bums me out a bit. Oh well, it was a good game.

Even ignoring the two tt games I already own, it's like.. 10 games for 20 bucks. Never played the other KQ games, but oh i've heard the tales lol. And i've been pining for 7, mostly because I haven't played it since I was a kid.

So here I go, biting the bullet and just buying these damned games lol.

So people who like to back stuff up, does this purchase save in the Telltale "my games" area or do we have to manually move it somewhere? I've seen people talking about adding stuff to their steam library and all sorts and given my luck with pcs killing themselves every year or so... i'd rather have things backed up somewhere I could redownload if my pc has a meltdown.
  • edited September 2010
    I just wish I hadn't bought Puzzle agent last week, literally two DAYS before this was announced. Kinda... bums me out a bit. Oh well, it was a good game.

Even ignoring the two tt games I already own, it's like.. 10 games for 20 bucks. Never played the other KQ games, but oh i've heard the tales lol. And i've been pining for 7, mostly because I haven't played it since I was a kid.

So here I go, biting the bullet and just buying these damned games lol.

So people who like to back stuff up, does this purchase save in the Telltale "my games" area or do we have to manually move it somewhere? I've seen people talking about adding stuff to their steam library and all sorts and given my luck with pcs killing themselves every year or so... i'd rather have things backed up somewhere I could redownload if my pc has a meltdown.

The installer for the games itself is saved on Documents\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle (the games have their own executables, the launcher just install them accordingly)

You could backup those just to be safe.

- The Whispered World is about 2GB
    - Jack Keane is 744MB
    - King's Quest Collection is 568MB
    - Penny Arcade Adventures is 236MB

All fits on 1 DVD.
  • edited September 2010
    Fantastic. Now if I could just get my dvd burner to accept that disks are BLANK. gah. I think I need new burning software.

But oh well, i'll install stuff now and sort out backups when I get a chance.
  • Ugh, this is like a crippled version of the Humble Indie Bundle... I'd buy it if I could send a larger proportion to the charities AND if you hadn't made two games (your own games) locked by default. Especially since you were listing it as 6 games, if the last two games are bonuses then it's only 4 games.

I realise PA has since been unlocked but the principle remains the same.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm a little bit hesitant right now to buy this because of the DRM that was mentioned. :| Maybe I'll just end up buying Puzzle Agent and a separate charity payment.

Anyone know by any chance which game/s contains the DRM?
  • edited September 2010
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    Anyone know by any chance which game/s contains the DRM?

iirc every TTG-episode has a light version of Securom as DRM.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, that part is no problem. But which non-TTG games have DRM is what I'm concerned about.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, that part is no problem. But which non-TTG games have DRM is what I'm concerned about.

I think this is all about the launcher only which should be the same as any TTG-episode.
  • I have heard that King's Quest Collection doesn't have any DRM. That is to say, you can install and run it without the launcher.
  • edited September 2010
    I have heard that King's Quest Collection doesn't have any DRM. That is to say, you can install and run it without the launcher.

but you will need the manuals for 3, 4 and 6.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375390&postcount=104
  • edited September 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »

The manual is included in the folder where you installed the game.
  • edited September 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    The manual is included in the folder where you installed the game.

I know. But I really prefere the single-manuals.
  • edited September 2010
    Fantastic. Now if I could just get my dvd burner to accept that disks are BLANK. gah. I think I need new burning software.

But oh well, i'll install stuff now and sort out backups when I get a chance.

May I recommend Imgburn? It's simple and to the point (drag and drop into a window, burn) and very powerful (can customize TONS of settings on the disc). And it's free, the author only asks for donations that go towards purchasing hardware for testing purposes.
  • edited September 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I know. But I really prefere the single-manuals.

Eh, I couldn't care less about how a digital format manual looked like. They're digital. Nothing can compare to the original paper manuals anyway.

Also, listen to Foxhack - Imgburn is excellent.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks guys. Downloading imgburn now.

Oh yes, HOLY CRUD Whispered world takes forever to download. It's massive! All the others took me only a few minutes but it seemed to take a good hour for WW. Daaamn.

Anyway, haven't tested everything in this pack yet. I kinda got absorbed playing Penny Arcade ahahah. It's amusing when your partner has never read any of the comics and just hears the scream of "OH GOD! It's a fruit f***er"
    He was like "uh.. what?"
    lol.

As for DRM, EVERYTHING these days has it, it's kinda unavoidable. Short of just never installing games on your pc, you aren't going to be able to not have it somewhere on your pc.
  • edited September 2010
    Got the package last night, and TBH TTG kinda annoyed at the fact the PR Twitter blunder with the 'yes it has both PA eps' to finding out via these forums only that Ep 2 wasn't included, you really really need to make it clear in the advertisment that only EP1 is included, and not just stating the game series name only, it's quite misleading, I'd like to think there will be a workround to add it in becuase as many have stated what the site 'says' the offer is and what actally is happening is two different things.

Added on top of that the dates were confused between the site and the vids - I dought we'll actally reach the 5K target, in which i've actally took the gamble on to get S&M, because many would think the offer is over.

Even tho it IS a great offer it's been handled quite badly with the information and the software isn't 100% working, luckly theres workaround but really we shouldn't need to 'hotfix' it.

Overall fingers crossed on the 5k, but please take this as a learning experence and please please please if any changes do happen put it in big letters and make it clear what is actally going on on the website store stright away not just on the forums and twitter as many do not look there otherwise as people have said many would not be happy with the fact you only get half the package advertised.

Personally i'm almost happy with the package and wont rage about the loss of PA Ep2, just that it's better to give construtive critisisum and improve I hope it does, i'll be happier if we get to 5k, and I still waiting on the S&M plushies THEY MUST BE MADE!!!
  • edited September 2010
    I think it's plausible that sales will reach 2.5k, but we probably won't reach 5k before the 10th now. This is a shame, as I was really hoping for Sam and Max. :(
  • They really shot themselves in the foot holding back two (now one) of the games. This would have probably got a lot more sales if people weren't holding back to see if the games were unlocked or not. HURRRRRRRRR
  • edited September 2010
    They really shot themselves in the foot holding back two (now one) of the games. This would have probably got a lot more sales if people weren't holding back to see if the games were unlocked or not. HURRRRRRRRR

Agreed, as I stated before it's techically three games 'missing' from the deal if you include PA Ep2, it's a gamble pure and simple if you wanted S&M, with only a day remaining it's doughtful we'll get the remaining numbers due to the fact people who havn't bought it are thinking the same.

TBH it would have been a better looking offer if they didn't even mention Puzzle Agent or S&M (or logically included S&M and not another game instead) and sprung the 'unlocks' on the community once the goals were met.

Thus the community surprised and happy that TTG added all more to the package therefore increasing the sales because the package looks even better value for money, instead we're getting the feeling that it does feel a bit cheated because the goal wasn't met and the package looks less value for money because of the omission of part of the product and the unlikely event we'll actally get the 'full' product and people wont buy it, it's kinda backfired, which is sad becuase it's going to a good course, like I sad i'm a bit sad but also happy I helped in a small way.

IMO a good PR move would be to extend the offer a few more days and drop the S&M unlock to 2.5k or 3k thus the goal looks closer and more people will buy and once S&M unlocks even more WILL buy as it's stupid value once that happens, so it's a win win.
  • edited September 2010

If you're worried about not being able to play the games without the launcher, I don't think that's a problem. I've only tried Puzzle Agent and Jack Keane, but they both run from the executable once they're downloaded and installed through the launcher.
  • edited September 2010
    I already own the whispered world and jack keane so I won't be buying.
    I enjoyed them both.
  • Kremlik wrote: »
    Things.

Exactly, and they're STILL listing it as 6 games everywhere. I would actually say that that's false advertising. I don't think it's deliberate, it's just a PR blunder but it's still false advertising. Especially since Sam & Max unlocking is looking unlikely.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi everybody,
    I'm quite new around here, though have a TellTAle Games account for a long time.
    blickity wrote: »
    If you're worried about not being able to play the games without the launcher, I don't think that's a problem. I've only tried Puzzle Agent and Jack Keane, but they both run from the executable once they're downloaded and installed through the launcher.

Does anyone know if you can uninstall this so called launcher without causing the games to uninstall as well?

Thx.
  • edited September 2010
    I kind of need to know something about the Bundle ASAP. Will it end tonight, or tomorrow?
  • edited September 2010
    I kind of need to know something about the Bundle ASAP. Will it end tonight, or tomorrow?
    Said on twitter that it just goes on till the 10th, aka tomorrow.

I bought it. Saddened to find out it's only the first episode of the PA. Would have liked both, guess you can't have it all.

Doubt we'll hit 5,000 by tomorrow though. Maybe TTG will be kind and unlock it anyway once the deal is over for everyone who bought it. Not that I need it though, already own season 2.
  • edited September 2010
    Well I'd been wanting The Whispered World for forever and the $20 is a discount on its own. Everything else is just gravy (And I already have the Telltale games). Plus I get to help out the World Wildlife Foundation in the process, so that's like a triple-win for me.
  • edited September 2010
    Rawr wrote: »
    Said on twitter that it just goes on till the 10th, aka tomorrow.

I bought it. Saddened to find out it's only the first episode of the PA. Would have liked both, guess you can't have it all.

Doubt we'll hit 5,000 by tomorrow though. Maybe TTG will be kind and unlock it anyway once the deal is over for everyone who bought it. Not that I need it though, already own season 2.

Perhaps thats the intention, we would like to think TBH, the wording 'unlocks when goals are met' is unclear that we get the games earily (as the Puzzle Agent news flash did say 'unlocks early') or if that was/is the only time we actally get them, as Sir Prim said it advertises 6 games and we only 'get' 4 prior to the unlocks (well 3 and the first half of one which still counts as a whole game yet isn't, does that mean S&M really class as 5? agh the paradoxical nature of things)

Which as agreed it's quite misleading if the latter is true, but thinking about it really the former is more likely and TTG don't lose sales by unlocking S&M either way - they already had the money and donation from us already.

Notice how it's only us Brits 'unhappy' must be the rain and the overstock of pitchforks and torches let back from the dark ages, probly why no PR/higher ups have commented yet, that or they don't want to risk adding fuel to the fire, well.. it's not really a fire just a lit dustbin ;)

As I've said before and always will it's a learning experence for them, thankfully TTG's game designs and faithfulness to the orginal IPs of their products make up (with tons to spare as well) for this marketing hicup.
  • edited September 2010
    Technically the KQ pack is 7 games in itself though.... if you want to nitpick
  • Well, after much deliberation I have decided to pass. I own both TT games in the bundle, I never really liked King's Quest (and I'd buy them from GoG if I did), the 'problems' with TWW have put me off getting that from here (I'll just buy it on disc thanks) and the other two I'd probably get somewhere else.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm getting an error after downloading The Whispered World, when I click install.

It reads:
    NSIS Error:
    Installer's Integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy.

More information at:
    http://www.nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error

What do I do? Do I have to redownload the whole thing all over again?
  • Well apparently it's been extended by a week. Sales still haven't even reached 2000 yet which is a ridiculously small number considering how big the internet is...
  • edited September 2010
    Extended, you say? I feel like it's sort of hard to believe cause
    I've just been majorly punked by my weird sister and father b*tching about (she has to go somewhere by train on Monday and didn't give a crap about buying tickets so far) BLAH BLAH unimportant talk BLAH BLAH anyway she kept on interrupting when I tried to ask my dad to go purchase the bundle and they ended up arguing the entire evening so I had to shut up and wait until they were done BLAH BLAH more unimportant talk BLAH BLAH until at some point my dad started to be pissed off and then he wanted to go to bed and when I said that I waited for like an hour until he'd finally listen to me and go purchase the bundle he said I should've come talk to him earlier and all that crap just because some people in this family obviously don't care if there's a total nerd hungry for a 20 bucks adventure bundle containing more games than you could count with your fingers and now
    I'm
    pissed off
    hoping that I can still get the bundle ASAP cause that would be the awesomest christmas present EVAR. End of crappy story.
  • edited September 2010
    The rumors are true! We have extended sales on the bundle for a week! Go get it, tell everyone you know, wear a sign on your back with the news! Everything! :)
  • edited September 2010
    I was on the fence but what the heck it's for the EFF and some people really want to unlock SaM.

Haven't had any problems so far* :)

unless you count my terrible internet connection downloading at the speed of a drunk tortoise with a broken ankle
  • edited September 2010
    So, if we won it on twitter, is 4 dollars still donated to the charity of choice?
  • ajohnson wrote: »
    The rumors are true! We have extended sales on the bundle for a week! Go get it, tell everyone you know, wear a sign on your back with the news! Everything! :)

I really think you should unlock S&M as soon as possible because that's the reason people are holding back from buying it... that and the DRM problems.
  • edited September 2010
    I really think you should unlock S&M as soon as possible because that's the reason people are holding back from buying it... that and the DRM problems.
    I think you're confusing your own concerns with those of over 2,500 other people.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.