"The Great Adventure Bundle 2010"

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Wow, I'm glad I found this. I almost bought The Whispered World for full price a few days ago. I already have Kings Quest, Penny Arcade, and Sam and Max, and didn't really have any interest in Jack Keane or Puzzle Agent, but, hey. Getting a game I was already planning to get with a discount and getting two other games for free in the process? AND helping out charity. THUMBS UP.
  • I think you're confusing your own concerns with those of over 2,500 other people.

They aren't my concerns. I already have S&M S2, however it seems very likely to me that a lot of people will be holding back to see if it does get unlocked.
    They want to get all 6 games and aren't prepared to part with their cash unless they know they'll get all 6. This is what I suspect has happened anyway.

It probably would have been better to keep the unlockable games secret until they're unlocked, then they seem like a bonus rather than something held back.

What's your theory to explain the ridiculously low sales numbers Rather Dashing?
  • edited September 2010
    Quick question. This is my first time downloading something direct from Telltale. In the future if I get a new computer or whatever, will I be able to download all of these games again from Telltale's website, like I can do on Steam?
  • edited September 2010
    Scnew wrote: »
    Quick question. This is my first time downloading something direct from Telltale. In the future if I get a new computer or whatever, will I be able to download all of these games again from Telltale's website, like I can do on Steam?
    Yeah, you can just download it again from the My Games section in the future.
  • edited September 2010
    Till now I installed two games (Puzzle Agent and Penny Arcade) und both of them don't work. Great...
  • edited September 2010
    Cloud_PS wrote: »
    Till now I installed two games (Puzzle Agent and Penny Arcade) und both of them don't work. Great...
    What's wrong with them?
  • edited September 2010
    Cloud_PS wrote: »

You have tried the fix for Puzzle Agent in the Thread you linked. Right?
  • edited September 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    You have tried the fix for Puzzle Agent in the Thread you linked. Right?
    Yes. I get an error message when I'm changing the settings and every time I start windows, so that's no solution for me.
  • edited September 2010
    I quote myself from the mixnmojo comments:
    The finishing date on the bundle has been altered to 17th of September now, the goal for Sam & Max has now been set to 5000 purchases and the current number of buys on the bundle is 2052.

Come on guys, BUY BUY BUY!!!! Even if only to get Puzzle Agent, you're getting 10 (maybe 11 if SnM2 is unlocked) extra games for about $10 together.
    If you just want Sam & Max Season 2, this is your chance to get it for half-ish price with 11 other games to enjoy for almost nothing!
    This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, without the sale, these games would cost $120. At $20 it's a steal! And 1/4 goes to charity, remember.

Remember, if Sam & Max Season 2 is unlocked, you'll be elegible for the DVD, something I don't yet posess since I bought the seasons from Steam. (:P) So come on guys, don't think, just buy!
    :D
  • edited September 2010
    I finally bought it! Downloading TWW now.
  • edited September 2010
    They aren't my concerns. I already have S&M S2, however it seems very likely to me that a lot of people will be holding back to see if it does get unlocked.
    They want to get all 6 games and aren't prepared to part with their cash unless they know they'll get all 6. This is what I suspect has happened anyway.

It probably would have been better to keep the unlockable games secret until they're unlocked, then they seem like a bonus rather than something held back.

What's your theory to explain the ridiculously low sales numbers Rather Dashing?

He's got a point. If I remember correctly, you can get Puzzle Agent on the iTouch for $5 and Penny Arcade episode 1 on the PC for another $5. At this point, you're pretty much paying $10 for The Whispered World, Jack Keane, and King's Quest. While I still think it's a pretty good deal, I can't say I ever heard about these games before I bought the bundle, and I'm sure it's the same deal for other people considering the bundle. If a $30 game were to be unlocked for the $20 bundle, I'm sure the sales would shoot off into the sun.

Edit: By the way, I have Sam and Max Season 2, so I'm not just saying this because I want it myself.
  • edited September 2010
    I wish I could buy this but I have no money :c
  • edited September 2010
    That 5000 unlock is pretty silly choice, considering most who would buy from this site has already played and/or owns it.
  • edited September 2010
    I know that the version of SecuROM used for most games here is just the "light" one, that doesn't use the runtime processes. (Still not happy about having the intentionally broken SecuROM registry keys added to my computer after installing this though.)

I also know that much of the additional funkiness/non-functionality springing from The Whispered World's DRM implementation can be resolved by replacing the .EXE with a generally available cracked version.

Still, even if these problems are relatively minor...it's still really really funny that this DRM is what you get in exchange for making a donation to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
  • edited September 2010
    KevinTMC wrote: »
    Still, even if these problems are relatively minor...it's still really really funny that this DRM is what you get in exchange for making a donation to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
    If you really want to help the Electronic Frontier Foundation, donate here or(if you really want to get something with it) here. EFF will get a far larger percentage of your contribution this way.
  • edited September 2010
    If you really want to help the Electronic Frontier Foundation, donate here or(if you really want to get something with it) here. EFF will get a far larger percentage of your contribution this way.

Oh, I know full well that the best way of supporting good causes is to give them money directly. (And I do so.) The main reason I bought this bundle was to get the games. Having $4-5 funneled to good causes was just the cherry on top.

And the extra bonus cherry on top of that cherry is the delicious amusing irony I noted (which was the real point of my comment).
  • edited September 2010
    I know this is probably an easy thing to do, but is there a way to run the KQ games in something bigger than a tiny window in the middle of my 22 inch lcd?
  • When you play other things that are lower res than your monitor, are they also windowboxed or is it just this? If it happens with anything lower than the monitor's resolution, you probably haven't got the monitor set to scale. It'll be somewhere in the monitor's own settings in my experience.
    I warn you though, if it's a widescreen monitor that'll result in a stretched game (doesn't bother some but drives me mad).
  • edited September 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    I know this is probably an easy thing to do, but is there a way to run the KQ games in something bigger than a tiny window in the middle of my 22 inch lcd?

You can try playing KQ 1-6 (7 isn't supported yet) through SCUMMVM (scummvm.org) it would allow you to make some changes to the resolution and make things full screen-ish while preserving the aspect ratio. You'd need to download the nightly build until version 1.2 comes out though.
  • edited September 2010
    Is it safe to buy this now? Issues worked out? I'm mostly interested in Whispered World
  • As far as I know, you still have to pirate it to play it. The 'official' fix is still to use a cracked .exe.
  • edited September 2010
    Er, what? It runs flawlessly on my system (vista 64), the one from the bundle. As a matter of fact, I've not had any problems whatsoever with any of the games in the bundle. Either I'm lucky, or there's only a very vocal minority that's having issues.
  • He asked if the issues were worked out. You still have to pirate it if you have the stuttering problem so the answer is "No, the issues haven't been sorted out". This truly has been the Great Adventure Bungle 2010...
  • edited September 2010

Doesn't DOSBox support "Alt+Enter" for fullscreen?
    Iirc it does.
  • edited September 2010
    Guinea wrote: »
    Doesn't DOSBox support "Alt+Enter" for fullscreen?
    Iirc it does.

Fullscreen wouldn't be the native resolution of the LCD panel so it would appear as a small box in the middle of the screen if the LCD isn't set to stretch the display.
  • edited September 2010
    He asked if the issues were worked out. You still have to pirate it if you have the stuttering problem so the answer is "No, the issues haven't been sorted out". This truly has been the Great Adventure Bungle 2010...

As I said, either I'm lucky, or there's a very vocal minority that has issues at all. I doubt more than 1% of the people who bought this are having problems.
  • edited September 2010
    Can someone help? Every time I try to install one of the games, I get an error like:

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Puzzle Agent
    Can't write: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Puzzle Agent\fmodex.dll
  • edited September 2010
    As I said, either I'm lucky, or there's a very vocal minority that has issues at all. I doubt more than 1% of the people who bought this are having problems.
    Well, I doubt that less than 10-20% are having problems. Just look at the small number of bundles which are sold and the massive number of complaints in this forum. And you can assume that only a small percentage of the people with problems post here. And that many people haven't even installed all the games which cause problems.
  • edited September 2010
    Sampo27 wrote: »
    Can someone help? Every time I try to install one of the games, I get an error like:

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Puzzle Agent
    Can't write: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Puzzle Agent\fmodex.dll

Run the adventure bundle launcher as administrator. (Right Click on the launcher's icon.)
  • edited September 2010
    We're unlocking Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space tomorrow! Now tell everyone you know!

Here's our blog talking about it you get the basic gist.

Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space Unlocks in The Great Adventure Bundle Tomorrow
  • ajohnson wrote: »
    We're unlocking Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space tomorrow! Now tell everyone you know!

That's awesome news! I will now be recommending this to people on the strength of S&M alone.
  • edited September 2010
    i was able to install and play puzzle agent with no problems... other than not getting yes/no buttons when i go to quit.

i tried to install whispered world and it didn't go so well. i think on the third try, it finally completed installing. then when i went to play i got to the daedalic logo screen and got kicked out. tried again, same thing. uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing.

trying again as an administrator...

---
    no go.

hopefully the penny arcade game runs.
  • edited September 2010
    ajohnson wrote: »

THAT should increase sales TBH, thank you for being you - other companies would have probly gone 'you knew the goal HAD to be met to unlock it so :P' and left us with only 5 games...

Any word on if Penny Arcade Adv ep2 got 'fixed' in the end?
  • edited September 2010
    My hope is that they release it by unlocking it in our "My Telltale" areas, or give us codes through the Adventure Bundle program to do so. That would avoid most of the adventure bundle problems, allow us to install the games seperately and avoid the advenure bundle launcher so we can play the games how they are meant to be played, with their own launchers and icons.

This is great news either way though! :D
  • edited September 2010
    ajohnson wrote: »
    We're unlocking Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space tomorrow! [/URL]

Thanks Telltale! That's awesome and very generous of you!! :) I spread the word on two other game forums and everyone's pretty thrilled as well!
  • edited September 2010
    Graxer wrote: »
    My hope is that they release it by unlocking it in our "My Telltale" areas, or give us codes through the Adventure Bundle program to do so. That would avoid most of the adventure bundle problems, allow us to install the games seperately and avoid the advenure bundle launcher so we can play the games how they are meant to be played, with their own launchers and icons.

This is great news either way though! :D

Wait, what?

I thought we DID get the Telltale games via "My Telltale"...
  • edited September 2010
    Foxhack wrote: »
    Wait, what?

I thought we DID get the Telltale games via "My Telltale"...
    I don't seem to have. Otherwise I would have Puzzle Agent in the "My Telltale" section... :confused: Should it be there then? I just downloaded it through the adventure bundle! (It isn't in My Telltale, I double checked)
  • edited September 2010
    ... Seriously?

I want those games to be on my telltale. They're TELLTALE games! :(
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks so much guys for unlocking Sam & Max early! Now I can get the DVD! Only thing is...how do I get the DVD? The price hasn't subtracted from my cart and I can't use the order number. Thanks guys!
    :)

-Monkey
Sign in to comment in this discussion.