Season 4 Speculation/Suggestion Thread

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2012
    None of the 3 seasons so far captured the spirit of the original game.
    This is true, but Telltale's Sam & Max games captured the spirit of the original comics much better than LucasArts' Hit the Road.

I like Season Two better than Hit the Road because of this, and Season Three is tied with Hit the Road in my opinion (although I thought The Devil's Playhouse had a better story than Hit the Road and Season Two, although Season Two had better gameplay in my opinion).
  • edited October 2012
    f Telltale doesn't kill them off, which I'm scared might happen
    12.jpg
    13.jpg
    14.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    I doubt that. Sam & Max series is one of their most known work and it would be really foolish to let it die. I think it's even the best game series they ever made. Me and most of my friends who play this, actually found out about Telltale company because of those games. So, you get my point.

EDIT: Sorry if I have grammar mistakes, English is my second language. xD
  • edited October 2012
    I doubt that. Sam & Max series is one of their most known work and it would be really foolish to let it die. I think it's even the best game series they ever made. Me and most of my friends who play this, actually found out about Telltale company because of those games. So, you get my point.

EDIT: Sorry if I have grammar mistakes, English is my second language. xD

Unfortunately, Telltale has been eager to show that they're not just "Those ex-Lucasarts guys making new Lucasarts-style comedic games".

That's why we've had the "big licenses" like Jurassic Park and now The Walking Dead, so they could show that they can do "serious" games too.

The concern is that with as big a hit as The Walking Dead has been for them, they may decide that Sam & Max/Monkey Island were great as stepping stones to launch Telltale, but now they're off to "bigger and better" without Lucasarts licenses..
    edited October 2012
    JJoyce wrote: »
    The concern is that with as big a hit as The Walking Dead has been for them, they may decide that Sam & Max/Monkey Island were great as stepping stones to launch Telltale, but now they're off to "bigger and better" without Lucasarts licenses..
    That's unlikely. They had a 25th anniversary Sam & Max contest this year, so they haven't forgotten about the duo.

Besides, Sam & Max isn't a LucasArts license, the rights are completely owned by Steve Purcell, which makes licensing a whole lot easier than it would with another season of Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited October 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    That's unlikely. They had a 25th anniversary Sam & Max contest this year, so they haven't forgotten about the duo.

Besides, Sam & Max isn't a LucasArts license, the rights are completely owned by Steve Purcell, which makes licensing a whole lot easier than it would with another season of Tales of Monkey Island.

Exactly. That means there is hope! I know that it may be hard to make a new season even more bombastic than the third one, but if they do, I'm willing to wait even for few years.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2012
    horns wrote: »
    f Telltale doesn't kill them off, which I'm scared might happen

Just because they killed just about everyone in the Walking Dead game doesn't mean... ;)
  • edited October 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »

Yes, I'm well aware that Steve owns the rights for the comic (which Telltale's take on Sam & Max draws from). I also know that Steve asked fans where they thought Sam & Max should go from here, but what comes from that, if anything...

In any event, I'd be shocked to see Telltale touch Sam & Max in the near future. They wanna do King's Quest and Fable and maybe another season of The Walking Dead and just maybe another season of BttF, though that's unlikely.

Can't help but look back to how Telltale started out.

Bone was their stepping stone to get to Sam & Max, which got them ToMI and Strong Bad. That got them BttF and Jurassic Park, etc...

Kinda like they put Bone away when Sam & Max came along, they've put the comedies aside to focus on broadening their repertoire.

With the way they left S&M, I have a feeling they'd be ok ending things there. After all, S&M even got their 'Casablanca' ending with 'The City That Dares Not Sleep', so...

If they do go back to it, I'd be shocked to see anything in the next year or two.
    edited October 2012
    Yes, I'm well aware that Steve owns the rights for the comic (which Telltale's take on Sam & Max draws from). I also know that Steve asked fans where they thought Sam & Max should go from here, but what comes from that, if anything...
    Steve is doing something personally (he mentioned on his Sam and Max blog that he has "some other things brewing" related to Sam & Max).
    In any event, I'd be shocked to see Telltale touch Sam & Max in the near future. They wanna do King's Quest and Fable and maybe another season of The Walking Dead and just maybe another season of BttF, though that's unlikely.
    I agree. It's unlikely Sam & Max Season Four will come out in 2013, since Fables, King's Quest, and The Walking Dead Season Two have been confirmed to be in development (and Back to the Future Season Two is rumored to be in development, although almost a certainty since Christopher Lloyd told fans at the FanExpo in Canada that he's signed on to voice Doc Brown in a new Back to the Future game by Telltale). If they keep up their schedule of two to three games a year (which I really hope they do unless they hire dozens of new employees since the quality of Telltale's games has improved alot since the over-packed 2011 release cycle), there's a good chance we won't see the game in 2014 either.
    Can't help but look back to how Telltale started out.

Bone was their stepping stone to get to Sam & Max, which got them ToMI and Strong Bad. That got them BttF and Jurassic Park, etc...

Kinda like they put Bone away when Sam & Max came along, they've put the comedies aside to focus on broadening their repertoire.
    They didn't toss aside Bone for Sam & Max. They intended to get back to Bone, but lost the rights because Jeff Smith signed a deal with Warner Bros. There are Telltale directors who want to make new Bone games, but they can't because of license issues:
    Jake wrote: »
    We could make an awesome Bone 3 at this point. Oh well.

Sam & Max doesn't have these license issues, so there's nothing stopping Telltale from getting back to Sam & Max once their announced (and implied) series are released. After all, Telltale did have a contest this year for Sam & Max, so they haven't forgotten about them.
    With the way they left S&M, I have a feeling they'd be ok ending things there. After all, S&M even got their 'Casablanca' ending with 'The City That Dares Not Sleep', so...

If they do go back to it, I'd be shocked to see anything in the next year or two.
    The director of the season three finale talked about the finale in a thread about fans' concerns that Season Three might have been the last:
    Jake wrote: »
    The end of Season 3 has nothing to do with the Universal deal. The way 305 was written it felt like it was bringing together years of Sam & Max content, so we wanted the ending to feel like that as well. That's not to prevent a hypothetical episode 401 from just throwing a bucket of mud all over that ending and rolling on like nothing happened. That's part of why Sam & Max is good.
  • edited October 2012
    You know....It's still surreal hearing Jake referred to as a "director".

To me, he'll always be the community guy that jumped in when Emily left Telltale. ;)

In any case, my point was yes, they absolutely COULD wipe everything out an start up season 4 at any point in time, but...

If it winds up being a situation where they don't make it back to Sam & Max, season 3 did have the "Casablanca" moment that could serve as a culmination of Telltale's Sam & Max "saga".

Hopefully Telltale does return to the series in the not too distant future, but with the huge number of sales they're pulling in on Universal licenses and with The Walking Dead....I think it's safe to say S&M isn't a priority at present so...2015 at the earliest, I'd think.
  • edited October 2012
    I just finished the series. I need season 4! :D
  • edited October 2012
    In any case, my point was yes, they absolutely COULD wipe everything out an start up season 4 at any point in time, but...

If it winds up being a situation where they don't make it back to Sam & Max, season 3 did have the "Casablanca" moment that could serve as a culmination of Telltale's Sam & Max "saga".

I agree. Like everyone, I'd love another Sam & Max season but if 305 turns out to be the end, at least it was a great way to cap off the series.
  • edited October 2012
    i hope they make a seson 4
  • edited October 2012
    but I heard they might kill them off
  • edited October 2012
    I agree. Like everyone, I'd love another Sam & Max season but if 305 turns out to be the end, at least it was a great way to cap off the series.

the freelance police will live on
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2012
    You can edit your posts instead of posting three times in a row. Thanks!
  • edited October 2012
    Just because they killed just about everyone in the Walking Dead game doesn't mean... ;)

To be fair, they were doing that in Tales. Walking Dead just legitimized it :p
  • edited February 2013
    Any updates yet? I finished playing Season 1 till 3 so far 3 times :) can't wait for season 4!
  • edited February 2013
    I agree that we should give Ideas for next season, I think I'd be cool if they pulled a walking dead type thing, because in the end of season three you could get two different endings, well in the next season, it could retrace which option you chose. Causing the game two have two different story lines. :)
  • edited February 2013
    They've done time travel. I'd be interested in a dimension-hopping storyline, perhaps where they meet alternate Sams and Maxes in various worlds. Such as one where America never got industrialised. I guess it's kinda similar to time travel but my thoughts are mainly Sam and Max universes where technology or culture went in different ways, so each universe is basically them in what would normally be a different time period, but without time travel.

If that makes sense.
  • edited February 2013
    Season 4 should be about agent Superball. Just who is Superball and who does he work for.
  • edited February 2013
    I really want to know what Max did with the noose collection. What was the surprise he talked about? (Just kidding)
  • edited March 2013
    I'm replaying S+M after some time on the shelf... with all the dialog branches it has a lot of reply value if you ar eno longer worried you'll screw up the game. (not that afaik there is any way to actually screw up a TTG game - i.e. make it "unwinable")

305 wrapped everything up nicely. It's the end of the series with no cliffhangers left (well not major ones anyway... Sibyl's baby and superball's employers are really all that's left to explain...) My best hope is that they'll do a 10-year anniversary special and release a new game/season then. But, as somone above said, I think they retired the series to shift to more serious games. S+M was great for getting TTG known, now that they're popular enough to get big-name titles, I suspect this will be relegated to the back of the proverbial shelf much like "HtR2" was...
  • edited March 2013
    Sam and Max is still the best thing they have ever done
    Now they have the Time Machine back I want More Chariot of the Dogs styled season
    It was my Favourite episode so far so I just want more of it
    Also Sam and Max hasn't been put in Classics yet so we still have a chance...
  • edited March 2013
    Soeroah wrote: »
    They've done time travel. I'd be interested in a dimension-hopping storyline, perhaps where they meet alternate Sams and Maxes in various worlds. Such as one where America never got industrialised. I guess it's kinda similar to time travel but my thoughts are mainly Sam and Max universes where technology or culture went in different ways, so each universe is basically them in what would normally be a different time period, but without time travel.

If that makes sense.

I would, frankly, absolutely love to see something like this, to be honest. It could REALLY get crazy and fun with these alternate universes/timelines -- as crazy as they got in Season 3, at the very least.
  • edited March 2013

If that makes sense.

I take it this suggestion was heavily influenced by Back to the Future, yes? If not, I'm sure you see the similarities now and realise Telltale would be at risk of copying itself, even incestuous plagiarism.
  • edited March 2013
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I take it this suggestion was heavily influenced by Back to the Future, yes? If not, I'm sure you see the similarities now and realise Telltale would be at risk of copying itself, even incestuous plagiarism.

Well, they can get a great deal crazier with Sam & Max, besides the alternate dimensions and universe actually existing in Sam & Max canon. There are no roach people or Rubber Pants Commandos in BTTF.
  • edited March 2013
    Plisken wrote: »
    Well, they can get a great deal crazier with Sam & Max, besides the alternate dimensions and universe actually existing in Sam & Max canon. There are no roach people or Rubber Pants Commandos in BTTF.

Or elves. Or talking anthropomorphous animals. Too many pesky rules. Sure, many of the reactions of the freelance detectives write themselves but they don't need to avoid themselves or think about consequences. Ok, fine, I like this idea, after all...
  • edited April 2013
    It's really a shame they don't have a S&M game planned for the next two years. I just couldn't connect with any of the Walking Dead characters. I've stopped watching the TV series too.

I've had about all the human drama I can tolerate. I'm starting to get nostalgic for super cartoony anthropomorphic characters, mostly of the Nintendo & Naughty Dog variety, but Sam & Max will always be my favorite.
  • edited April 2013
    Are we there yet?, Are we there yet ?, now it has been awhile.

JUst hope they dont fall into the trap of doing what sells the most.

Because more Sam & Max is what i want. With some good engine enhancement, more living and dynamic world, having the people in the world actually moving around and such.
  • edited April 2013
    This is probably a long shot, but Sam's suit in Poker Night 2 is noticeably darker than it was in Sam and Max Season 3, so at least they're fully acknowledging the ending of 305. Who knows, maybe season 4 could come around sooner than we may be thinking... :P
  • edited April 2013
    I agree, Sam and Max is the best thing Telltale's ever done. Telltale's Sam and Max is one of the funniest video games in existence. Some games make you smile, chuckle, or go "oh, that was clever," but I'm replaying the Sam and Max seasons now and the belly laughs are frequent and awesome. Seriously, I forgot just how funny these games were.
  • edited April 2013
    Lets just hope Sam and Max didn't listen to the other Poker players when they told them they could retire...
  • edited April 2013

If that makes sense.

If you're interested in that kind of storyline, then you should take a look at this!
  • edited April 2013
    Did anyone else find the conversation in Poker Night 2 where Sam said he's 'off the market' relationship wise. Could it mean anything?
  • edited April 2013
    I saw on youtube that CL4P-TP asks Sam in Poker Night 2 when he can expect further adventures of the Freelance Police. Sam says that he and Max are enjoying the downtime.
  • edited May 2013
    Unfortunately, I also have to join in the sentiment that we likely wouldn't see any new Freelance Policing for quite some time. And I have to confess - despite Poker Night 2 providing a much needed relief, I've still been dying to see them back in action since they walked off toward the sunset/rode off on the elevator way back in 2010.

We really need to form a support group.

HOWEVER, I doubt this is the last we've seen of them completely. Telltale still seems to hold fondness for the characters, and although I'm sure the excellent new Sam model was tweaked simply for the Poker Night 2, I think it does show there's still some lingering interest.
    And you know what? Moving up to larger licenses isn't necessarily a bad thing for the franchise, either. Just look at how often the series pops up in steam sales and indie bundles. 3 years after Penal Zone debuted, the game seems to still be selling copies. People are still interested. Hell, Sam's appearance was deemed just as noteworthy as his more currently relevant opponents on the gaming news articles I've seen about Poker Night 2. A season 4 would be just as big a deal as any other huge title Telltale could dream up.

TL,DR (hate that phrase):
    Yeah, there's sure to be a long, long queue, but there's still massive interest from both the developers and the community. Maybe we can hope for 2016?
  • edited May 2013
    As a Half-Life fan I'm pretty content with waiting. So bring it on.
  • edited May 2013
    Even though I absolutely fell in love with Season 3, instead of having a new season, I'd like to see single episodes appearing every once in a while (no time schedule) parodying other games or stories.

I wouldn't mind a Sam & Max episode where they parody Back to the Future, for example.

However, since I don't know how cost effective that is, I have no idea if this is plausible or not.
  • edited June 2013
    MrSneeze wrote: »
    Even though I absolutely fell in love with Season 3, instead of having a new season, I'd like to see single episodes appearing every once in a while (no time schedule) parodying other games or stories.

I wouldn't mind a Sam & Max episode where they parody Back to the Future, for example.

However, since I don't know how cost effective that is, I have no idea if this is plausible or not.

First off,

holy crap, that actually makes a lot of sense. Those two are made for the episodic style, jumping from case to case and all. The comics have shown they don't necessarily need an overarching plotline.

Being the (former? I hope not) Telltale flagship characters, along with a diehard fanbase would really work in their favor for this.

Second off,

you may have already kinda gotten your BTTF wish. Go play season 2, guy. The time-travel episode has at least a Delorean reference, if I recall correctly.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.