Season 4 Speculation/Suggestion Thread

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    techgeek07 wrote: »
    Any word on if season 4 is in the works, yet?

Nothing's been announced yet, and to be honest I'd be pretty surprised if we heard anything on a season 4 any time soon. Telltale has a bunch of other projects lined up (Jurassic Park, The Walking Dead, King's Quest, Fables, Puzzle Agent 2, Law and Order)... so personally I think it will be a while before they get back to Sam & Max.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Don't give up hope, though. Before "Law & Order", we thought that it would be two years before any new announcement could possibly be made. :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    *SPOILER ALERT*

It just occured to me that at the end of season 3 Sam and ALT max have the time machine so they might be able to stop ALT sam an original max from dying

Well, there are two endings and only in one of them do they have the time machine. So in the Ending 1 Dimension, where they take the time machine to go mess with the universe, maybe they can "fix" that problem, but in the Ending 2 Dimension where they stuck around in New York, Alt Sam is SOL.

I imagine there are ways to make this whole situation more complicated, but I don't want to think of them.
  • edited May 2011
    girlycard wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!.jpg

red-wtf-men_design.png
  • edited May 2011
    I really hope there is a season 4, even if we have to wait years for it. I don't want another year with both no Homestar cartoons & no Sam & Max, but it looks like that's where things are going. :(
  • edited May 2011
    lombre wrote: »
    No, if Telltale was to do a game based off a comic strip, it'd have to be Lio.

Also, I fail to see what this has to do with Sam & Max Season 4.

No, Maakies.
  • edited June 2011
    Sam and Max Season 4 will be there in 2011 or 2011?! (while these games in 2011) but when is start release in? (explain why)
  • edited June 2011
    img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=10701684
  • edited June 2011
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    Sam and Max Season 4 will be there in 2011 or 2011?!

Given those choices, my money is on 2011.
  • edited June 2011
    Don't expect season four this year, that's for sure.
    At this point, don't even really get high hopes for season four at all until they announce something.

Also, work on your grammar a bit, ok mate?
  • edited June 2011
    I've just finished Season 3, and boy, what a shocking ending!
    It almost made me cry, without the almost.

So, since (hope the spoiler works this way like in other forums)
    past Max isn't technically the real Max but more of a "parallel" version of it from his own past where Sam became the monster, here are my two cents for the Season 4: Sam is nostalgic about the old Max (because the new one is somewhat different), so he uses the underworld subway and reaches all the other zone listed on the poster on the wall (Heaven and such, can't remember all of them but they were a lot) to retrieve Max's true soul, which is in Heaven thanks to his final sacrifice to save Sybil and the others (and is also not happy to be there, he would've preferred Hell, you know, for the company), in a sort of Orpheus/Euridice storyline.

EDIT: But on second thought, and after watching the ending a second time,
    such a solution makes me feel almost guilty on the "past" Max, which has obviously suffered for Sam's loss (just like our Sam did for Max's), even if he doesn't show it in the final scene. What right has our Sam to retrieve "his" Max's soul in the present, while Past Max can't do the same for his old friend? I'm starting to believe that now they just complete each other, since they both have lost their best friend and are now somewhat reunited, despite the... time continuum, or whatever you call it. Maybe it's right this way, and we should not question further. Still, what a sad and incredibly amazing ending. Sigh. Darn you, Telltale!
  • edited June 2011
    I started this thread a while back didn't know it would get this much reception. I have to say that there is a large number of fans that want to see Sam and Max return. Also I would like to add that every game I have bought so far has sucked.

Still let's keep this thread going to get their attention for a season four.:D
  • edited June 2011
    I would like to add that I enjoyed reading the season 4 pilots that people wrote on this thread keep up the good work. I especially liked the ninja cat.
  • edited June 2011
    Offtopic, S&M sounds like something else, despite knowing what it refers to here.
    Queue giant post...now!
    Sam and Max Season 4: Into the Void

401: Back to the Past
    [...]
    402:The Island of Dr. Morona
    [...]
    403: The Day Before Yesterday
    After [episode 402], our heroes head home to discover that the city is completely abandoned. No reasons are in sight. So, naturally, the characters,being curious, search throughout the city for any signs of life. The search turns up three: Bob Bell, Curt 286, and Chippy. From the information they gather, they figure out that while they were away, a massive abduction took place. Our heroes hear that during the abduction, a teleporter was left behind, so Sam and Max try to find the teleporter in the city. The only problem is that it's in pieces.
    404: A Grip on Reality
    [...]
    405: Apocalypse Then
    [...]
    Your premise for 403 sounds interesting, and 404 isn't bad (but could be better), but 401 & 402 just sound like something that's been done before. 401 especially since it's really a BttF episode that you're proposing there. Your proposed 405: Sam and Max as humans? No thanks.

Season Three was my favourite, both in gameplay and storyline. I'd like to be able to control Max some of the time in Season Four (I especially liked seeing through Max's eyes - the weird floating crap and such) though I'm not sure I'd like the toys of power being brought back (what are you going to do about the fact that they gave Max a tumor in Season Three, if he starts using them again?) though for one episode (time traveling elevator again?) it wouldn't be bad, imo.
    The road trip ideas people have posted sound interesting to me. I haven't played S&M Hit the Road yet.
    Mr Nutt wrote: »
    [...]but since the games Telltale makes now seem to be slowly getting more darker and edgier (not that it's a bad thing)[...]
    I can see that now that you've mentioned it. How about some lighter stuff for Season Four? : D
    lombre wrote: »
    So I was thinking, and if they decide to do a time-travel thing for Season 4, I would love to be able to go back to 1971 and cause the cancellation of Culture's Clubhouse. It'd be hilarious if Sam & Max were the ones to not only ruin Brady's show, but also secure that the Soda Poppers show continued without competition.
    Sounds good as long as we don't have to see or hear from the Soda Poppers ever again. Better yet if S&M aren't helping the Soda Poppers because they want to (don't realize, necessary for a more important case, whatever.)
    Ashton wrote: »
    I loved the idea above about using the "forotten hat" as a tutorial.

Personally I see some events that are coming to a head that most of you seem to have forgotten... it seems Agent Superball is at the point where he can unleash whatever twisted scheme he has been working on. Remember all the odd occurrences when Superball shouldn't have been around, and he never explained them? and isnt it strange that he became president when it should be the VICE president (aka Sam) who takes over when Max is incapacitated? I think superball has some heinous scheme up his sleeve and it will finally be revealed!
    Forgotten hat tutorial: yes, please :P I'd also like to see more of Superball getting in our heroes' way while believing he's doing the right thing. And I found the time travel parts with an alternate Sam being "controlled by another player" hilarious.
    Scnew wrote: »
    [...]I fully expect (and want) the next season to start with a call from the Commisioner like nothing was ever wrong. References to Season 3, of course, but not a whole new season built around the last one.
    I agree. S&M Season Three was completely separate from Season Two and Two from One (disregarding references such as things in the closet) and I liked it that way.
    Fly wrote: »
    [...]The only other idea I have is that, since Noir Sam was so popular, he'll show up again... which will probably mean something awful (but temporary) happens to Max.[...]
    I liked it as something different, but I'd personally rather my games stay away from "I AM ANGRY I PUNCH YOU" / revenge most of the time.

Whatever they do with S&M Season 4, I'm sure I'll be buying it. Also, stop making references to Poker Night. You're going to make me have to check it out. : )
  • edited June 2011
    just finished sam and max seasons 1 2 and 3. You can thank Tf2 for sparking my intrest and steam's limited time discount where i bought all games for 17.99 . total.

I'm Now a Sam and max fan!
  • edited June 2011
    I'm sure lots of others noticed the dog and bunny painting in the hallway of Mama Bosco's lab. It'd be interesting to have that mysteriously show up other places (without any explanation as to its origins or how it got there, and with S & M ignoring it except for maybe a one-time comment.)
    And how about a shirt and/or poster featuring said dog and bunny painting?
  • edited June 2011
    ELB1985 wrote: »
    just finished sam and max seasons 1 2 and 3. You can thank Tf2 for sparking my intrest and steam's limited time discount where i bought all games for 17.99 . total.

I'm Now a Sam and max fan!

Congratulations on joining the bandwagon or however that phrase goes.
  • edited June 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    I imagine there are ways to make this whole situation more complicated, but I don't want to think of them.

tumblr_ldr0773rEb1qacanjo1_500.gif
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe after Tales Season 2. That is, if Telltale doesn't kill them off, which I'm scared might happen

Nah,Season 4 will happen,the series is too popular and generally good for that to happen. Plus despite Max dying at the end of Episode 305,an alternate timeline version just filled in his place by taking the mariachi's time traveling elevator,so everything worked out.
  • edited June 2011
    No matter what though, he WON'T be the original Max... I nearly cried at the ending in 305 :(
  • edited June 2011
    there is no original max just paradoxes
  • edited June 2011
    Original Max died on the Moon.
  • edited July 2011
    crfh wrote: »

9.jpg
    IRONYYYYYY!!!!
  • edited July 2011
    If there is a season 4 I hope they bring back the TF2 preorder bonuses.
  • edited July 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    Not technically, his spirit was kept in Sam's hand until they transferred it to his new body. This, in a way, is something different. : /
  • edited July 2011
    If there is a season 4 I hope they bring back the TF2 preorder bonuses.

Was there ever a way to get the Max hat by pre-ordering throught Telltale, kinda like what was done with Poker Night?
  • edited July 2011
    heres some voices from old stuff
    David Nowlin - Sam
    William Kasten - Max
    Julian Kwasneski - The Commissioner
    Peter Barto-Flint Paper
    Jared Emerson & Johnson-THE C.O.P.S.

err...thats all....but i need old characters and some new voice.

P.S. if you called me a troll one more time...
    * and ill canceled season 4
  • edited July 2011
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    heres some voices from old stuff

err...thats all....but i need old characters and some new voice.

P.S. if you called me a troll one more time...
    * and ill canceled season 4
    u r a troll sir
  • edited July 2011
    u r a troll sir

and now i am sorry but the season 4
    IS canceled FOREVER! (or not?)
  • edited July 2011
    I just re-played Season 1 for the first time since 2007. What a brilliant game for such a young (at the time) company to produce. I was afraid that my memory had over-inflated the game over the years, but no -- it was just as terrific as I remember.

I like the supporting casts from Seasons 1 & 2 more than Season 3's. So many of the supporting characters in The Devil's Playhouse were openly antagonistic and hostile to Sam & Max that it changed the nature of the humor. On the whole, they weren't as zany as the characters in the earlier seasons. I thought Hugh Bliss and Jurgen and T.H.E.M were far more entertaining and wacky then Skunkape, Papierwaite, Baby Amelia, Sammun-Mak and Charlie Ho-Tep. The "old" recurring characters Bosco, Sybil, Superball, The C.O.P.S. and Jimmy Two-Teeth were far more engaging and original than the Stinky's or Momma Bosco.

I understand if Telltale thinks the Season 1 & 2 characters are stale and they need something different to stimulate their creativity, but if there is to be a Season 4, I hope they don't bring back the Stinky's or anyone introduced in TDP in more than very limited roles.

I'd also very much like to see a return of the driving games, including decals! :D
  • edited July 2011
    I don't really get all this anguish over the fate of Max in Season 4. He's going to be exactly the same. Someone playing Season 4 without playing Season 3 probably won't even realize that he died. There will be, at best, a few veiled references to the end of Season 3.

I liked the new characters in Season 3 myself, though I will agree that unlike the earlier seasons there isn't really anyone I'd expect/want to see come back. Except maybe Sal. I could live without Girl Stinky, but I love Grandpa Stinky.
  • edited July 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    I don't really get all this anguish over the fate of Max in Season 4. He's going to be exactly the same.

I think the biggest problem is that people have grown to love the characters so much that they think of them as being much more human than they actually are. Theoretically the new Max is identical to the old one and there shouldn't be a problem; but to people who know and love Sam & Max, they feel the loss much more acutely, even though it's just a video game.

Basically, people have exaggerated the emotional impact of Season 3's ending, but they did so because they love the character so much.
  • edited July 2011
    My Ratings:
    Hit the Road (Not TellTale): 9.5/10
    A great game, everything is spot on. However there are very hard puzzles.
    Season One: 8.5/10
    A great return of Sam & Max. Very promising to the comics and cartoon.
    Season Two: 6.5/10
    The sequel was a bit of a step below the first season, but it's okay.
    Season Three: 3/10
    The first episode was great and followed the comics and cartoon very well. However episodes 2-5 were not loyal to the comics or cartoon and were not enjoyable at all. They seemed all rushed. Just get Episode 1.

So, the games aren't really getting much better. Sorry, TellTale.
  • edited July 2011
    For me they're the best. Any game, awsome!
  • edited July 2011
    Let me re-phrase that. Season Three wasn't original at all.
  • edited July 2011
    just finished playing Sam and Max season 3 ! i loved the whole series and really want it to go on !
    i liked the ancient Egypt reference and would like to see in season 4 an ancient ROME reference ! with all the gods and goddesses mixed with animals looks maybe like an Evil Lion emperor thats trying to rule the world alot of funny scenarios can be created specially taking old myths and stuff ! cowboy Sam and Max can be fun too , its hard to find new ideas after all what have been in the previous seasons :P but i believe there was nothing including a city under the sea ruled by a bad half fish half man King Nippletoon that is sending terror into the fishermen lately by sending dumb sharks and not letting them fish , a great case for Sam and Max to solve ! am throwing silly ideas but i don't care ! just keep new Sam and Max episodes coming ! :D
  • edited July 2011
    Max could tell everything that happend with past sam!
  • edited July 2011
    Been playing the last series. Pretty cool. I still think the 2D style rocked way better though for Sam & Max. I might mention I played the very first episode of the first series and *kind* of liked it immediately after playing it, however after some reflection it didn't really stick out in my mind and I figured I'd ditch the series. I recently picked up Season 3 in the Steam sale and have finished episode 3 of it on my Mac. Its pretty good. Though I still feel, deeply, that the 3D space isn't doing these characters justice nor the lovely backgrounds that were present in the first 'Hit the Road' game. 2D's not dead, man. It'd be rad if season 4 came out in 2D. Writing is pretty rad, and the story is pretty cool. I like the added grain in this season, things don't look so flat. Still though, hand-painted backgrounds and sprited characters (or 3D characters) ala Grim Fandango, with a keyboard-only control scheme would be AWESOME. This control scheme of both keyboard and mouse (arrow keys to pilot and mouse to click on stuff) was a little weird. Yes you could use the mouse to click, hold and nub the characters around the screen, didn't work too well always, but necessary to use two inputs for a relatively simplistic control scheme? Or at least to be able to click where you want to go to. I found the current solution a little odd and undecided.

Anyways, good value for my bucks, bring back 2D chant I.
  • edited July 2011

How was it not original?
    I rate
    Season 1:8/10(only for Abe Lincoln Must Die)
    Season 2:9/10
    Season 3:9/10.
    So yeah, its pretty good.
  • edited July 2011

WHAT PART OF IT WAS NOT ORIGINAL?! Please tell me that you were either trolling or being sarcastic.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.