Season 4 Speculation/Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2013
    I hope this isn't the end. The Sam and max games are how Telltale got a lot of their fanbase. I've accepted that they are busy with other franchises, so we won't see them as often as before, but it would be nice to have some confirmations that there will be further seasons in the future.
  • edited July 2013
    Personally, I haven't spent any money with Telltale for years. The last thing I bought was ToMI (maybe Puzzle Agent), and I owned pretty much everything before that. Even Bone and original Law&Order (although those came as a package with something else, but from Sam+Max Season 1 on I was sold).
  • edited July 2013
    I say they put a contest out on who can write an episode for season 4 and then whomever wins they get a functional replica of sam and max's weapons. Or they can just do season 4 already cause I am ready to laugh at their witty humor an pop culture references.
  • edited August 2013
    I am from Belarus, and I also feel love with Sam and Max... Before will be Sam and Max Season 4 (If it will be) I just hope that this forum will not die (Sorry for my English).
  • edited August 2013
    At this point I feel like Sam and Max, Strong Bad, and Monkey Island were all just things to prove what telltale can really do. I hate to say it but I think telltale is finished with them and is going to go big with the movie licence games. I remember comments on the anniversary page for Sam and Max of people saying they don't care about S&M and people wanting more walking dead. At this point the only way well get season 4 is if all the planets align and there's is a blue moon all at once.
  • edited August 2013
    I hope that Telltale make another Sam and Max game, and I hope they make it with more traditional puzzle-solving gameplay than they've been doing lately, but I will say that I'd be happy if they rendered it using the cel-shades style they're using for The Wolf Among Us. It'd be pretty cool to see Purcell-style art rendered in 3D that way.
  • edited August 2013
    Seconded.
  • edited August 2013
    I think you could adapt Sam & Max to whatever format Telltale is now running with... A Wolf among us comic looking Sam & Max would be pretty cool..choice gameplay would be cool because you could come up with some pretty zany situations..
  • edited August 2013
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I think you could adapt Sam & Max to whatever format Telltale is now running with... A Wolf among us comic looking Sam & Max would be pretty cool..choice gameplay would be cool because you could come up with some pretty zany situations..

That would be amazing! :D
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2013
    I'd wouldn't hate a Sam & Max game with 'choice' mechanics, but I'd certainly hate a Sam & Max game without a whole lot of traditional adventure 'stop and think' gameplay.
  • edited September 2013
    I don't mind whether they use choice only, puzzle only or a mix, so long as they get the rest right. S&M using the WAU art techniques would look fantastic.
  • First, love the new layout, second, I think the next season should have a survival horror episode with some spookiness. I always liked a little freight in my games.

• I meant fright lol.

First, love the new layout, second, I think the next season should have a survival horror episode with some spookiness. I always liked a little freight in my games.

• Do we know if Telltale have any comedic writers still left? I think Brendan & Chuck Jones really drove season 2 and 3 of Sam & Max.. so I don't know who is left that could write in that same Steve Purcell style.

tbm1986 posted: »

I don't mind whether they use choice only, puzzle only or a mix, so long as they get the rest right. S&M using the WAU art techniques would look fantastic.

• Were they around for Poker Night 2? S&M were still spot-on.

Hero1 posted: »

Do we know if Telltale have any comedic writers still left? I think Brendan & Chuck Jones really drove season 2 and 3 of Sam & Max.. so I don't know who is left that could write in that same Steve Purcell style.

• KevinKevin Telltale Alumni

I think you meant Chuck Jordan! He's still around doing contract writing with us and Mike Stemelle and Dave Grossman have a pretty good feel for Purcells style.

Hero1 posted: »

Do we know if Telltale have any comedic writers still left? I think Brendan & Chuck Jones really drove season 2 and 3 of Sam & Max.. so I don't know who is left that could write in that same Steve Purcell style.

• Kevin posting in this thread has given me more hope than anything else in the past three years! ;)

Kevin posted: »

I think you meant Chuck Jordan! He's still around doing contract writing with us and Mike Stemelle and Dave Grossman have a pretty good feel for Purcells style.

• edited September 2013

If I may ask further, what's the deal with Chuck, then? Is he running on more of a freelance, hire-by-the-job situation, as opposed to just being a regular Telltale employee?

I remember his blog mentioning that he was a consultant for a Walking Dead episode, but also vaguely recall hearing other folks mentioning his departure, which would have been a shame, to put it mildly.

Between Devil's Playhouse and Puzzle Agent 2, the guy really knows how to tell a story.

Kevin posted: »

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2013

@wellgolly wrote:

>

If I may ask further, what's the deal with Chuck, then? Is he running on more of a freelance, hire-by-the-job situation, as opposed to just being a regular Telltale employee?

He is just freelance now, since he left his full time position at Telltale in June 2010. But even then he said that it wasn't his last day ever working with Telltale, just his "last day as a regular full-timer."

At the time he said that the reason he left his full time position was that he wanted to try out new ideas and try out something more experimental. I'm hoping that something does come from that since I really enjoy Chuck's writing and game design ideas. :)

wellgolly posted: »

If I may ask further, what's the deal with Chuck, then? Is he running on more of a freelance, hire-by-the-job situation, as opposed to just be

• edited October 2013

Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated.

The most frustrating thing about any S&M speculation is how hard it is to gauge your expectations. Or maybe, mine, anyway.
    If you'd have asked me after the end of Devil's Playhouse, I would have been extremely doubtful that we'd ever see a hint of Sam or Max by 2013. And we've gotten Poker Night 1 and 2, so that was awesome.

But damn, it's really hard to get an idea of where this franchise is, now. It seems like there's more than enough interest remaining for a sequel. For the length of time since TDP came out, it's impressive how much this forum stays active, and it appears like the internet in general still seems to remember and have fondness for the series. Yet, at the same time, it's not exactly overwhelming either.

Telltale and Purcell seem to be the same way. There's clearly still some fondness for the characters and series, but then again, it's also like they can't or won't give it more than a passing thought, professionally. It was notably odd how Playhouse never got a soundtrack, when that was arguably their greatest work, yet. So I guess that suggests there were bigger fish to fry, and all that?
    I was initially really psyched to know Telltale was still willing to represent them in PN2 after all this time, but then interviews came out that said they barely made the cut.

So it's not like I think there's any chance there's anything under development at the moment, but the bit that's getting at me is:

Is there still potential life left in this series for Telltale, or is it just a fondly remembered part of their past, like Day of the Tentacle? I don't wanna be here in four years, still wondering if we'll ever see them again.

It's almost dead, but it never totally dies.

Jennifer posted: »

@wellgolly wrote: > If I may ask further, what's the deal with Chuck, then? Is he running on more of a freelance, hire-by-the

• Lets hope there's a season 4 coming out sometime soon in the near future! For those of u who wish to still play the Lucas Art Adventure Classics, Use (the SCUMM Emulator) that will allow you to play those great older games on newer PCs with higher operating systems : )

Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated. The most frustrating thing about any S&M speculation is how hard it is to gauge your expectati

• Looking forward to it, goodness knows :D A recent IGN article talking about Telltale's acquisition of some "Dream IPs" back at the end of October quoted Kevin Bruner as saying they're working on something with Sam & Max that's "smaller than a full season." He mentioned the Poker Night games as a point of reference on this, but the point is that he said "We love Sam & Max and certainly haven't forgotten about them!" So that's good news :D Glad to hear that there's at least something in the works ^_^

Here's the url, in case anyone's interested: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/telltale-games-talks-star-wars-dream-ip-and-its-future

• I hate to burst bubbles, but "I think you'll see" and "not for a bit" seemed to me like it was meant to say that Telltale still had interest in S&M, and was speculating on its future.

Hopefully not, though! And either way, just to learn they're still open to using the duo (hearing how they barely made it into Poker Night 2 worried me) was pretty fantastic.

Looking forward to it, goodness knows A recent IGN article talking about Telltale's acquisition of some "Dream IPs" back at the end of Octobe

• Yep, it is great to hear :D Any hope is good to have, I think ^_^

I hate to burst bubbles, but "I think you'll see" and "not for a bit" seemed to me like it was meant to say that Telltale still had interest i

• Stopped by and did my regular check on the thread, I'll say if any of my business ventures make it out okay I just might have to make the fourth installment myself. If anything at least do Hit The Road remake. But rest assured it won't be anything like Robcop or that god forsaken Footloose. I would like to go back to ideas for the forth game. Have to say I would still like the sleuthing duo go east, far east. Their take on Asian culture should make for some gut ripping laughs.

• I'd LOVE to see that :D I started working on a "Sam & Max in Japan" fanfiction, but seeing them there in a game would be even better.

And on a side note, it's my speculation that Max can speak a number of languages; he's already shown he can speak French, Spanish, and Czech, and that was in Poker Night 2 alone! :D I could imagine him being the interpreter XD

Stopped by and did my regular check on the thread, I'll say if any of my business ventures make it out okay I just might have to make the fo

• That makes me want to get poker night 1 and 2. Looks like I'll be on the steam network this next weekend.

• Whoops, that wasn't Czech; that was German and was apparently from an 80s song (he said "Alles klar, der kommissar?")

I'd LOVE to see that I started working on a "Sam & Max in Japan" fanfiction, but seeing them there in a game would be even better. A

Oh yeah, Der Kommissar by Falco! I like that song, but somehow when Max said that line in Poker Night 2 the reference went right over my head.

Whoops, that wasn't Czech; that was German and was apparently from an 80s song (he said "Alles klar, der kommissar?")

• mabye remake hit the road in the style of season one and two? that would be really fun
  • Barely made it? D:
    Could you give me a link to the article that you heard that from?

I hate to burst bubbles, but "I think you'll see" and "not for a bit" seemed to me like it was meant to say that Telltale still had interest i

• tfw no new sam & max games for four years

I remember the pain of 2004 once again

history truly does repeat itsellf

• Does anyone know what the sticky is for on this discussion?

• It's just been sticky since when we were in the old forums and Sam & Max got a lot more message traffic. It kept lots of people from starting their own Season 4 speculation threads when there was already a perfectly good one. Now, it's just that no one has any reason to unstick it.

Does anyone know what the sticky is for on this discussion?

edited June 2014

The Highway wrote:
    I remember the pain of 2004 once again

history truly does repeat itsellf

Except, at that point there hadn't been anything new with Sam & Max since the animated series in 1998 (besides the flash short "Our Bewildering Universe" in 2001), and no new games since 1993. We just got a new Sam & Max game last year, so things are much better for the duo now than they were then.

The Highway posted: »

tfw no new sam & max games for four years I remember the pain of 2004 once again history truly does repeat itsellf

• edited June 2014

Wait, there was a flash short in 2001? I must look into this.

Yep, and Telltale did say they were working on something Sam & Max related. It's just that we won't hear about it for a while. I'll be honest and say that I was hoping E3 would've had news, but oh well. There's always the future.

EDIT: Wait a minute, was that the short with the alien that's included with the cartoon DVD set? In that case, never mind, I've already seen it. But if I'm wrong, please let me know!

Jennifer posted: »

The Highway wrote: I remember the pain of 2004 once again history truly does repeat itsellf Except, at that point there ha

edited June 2014

@CelestialSushi wrote:

Wait a minute, was that the short with the alien that's included with the cartoon DVD set? In that case, never mind, I've already seen it. But if I'm wrong, please let me know!

Yep, that's the one. I'd actually love to see an animated series based on this style. I enjoyed the animated series we got (they managed to get a lot of adult humor past the censors despite being toned down to make a kids show), but an animated series with a more adult tone (plus a look closer to the comics) would be great.

@CelestialSushi wrote:

Yep, and Telltale did say they were working on something Sam & Max related. It's just that we won't hear about it for a while. I'll be honest and say that I was hoping E3 would've had news, but oh well. There's always the future.

Telltale doesn't announce stuff too early anymore due to losing the King's Quest license before they could make a game (plus the long delay of Jurassic Park), so we probably won't hear from any small Pilot Program type projects until they're about ready to release, since Poker Night 2 was announced only a few weeks before release, not counting the leaks (and we won't hear about any full seasons until at most a year out, so we probably won't hear anything about them until probably after Tales from the Borderlands (and possibly even Game of Thrones) is already in mid-season).

Wait, there was a flash short in 2001? I must look into this. Yep, and Telltale did say they were working on something Sam & Max rel

• It will definitely be awhile before we hear from Tellltale again ,but TWD, and TWAU are worrying me. They are great but it seems that they are coming off the tracks and getting too confident. It begs the question if telltale can still have their experience with point and clicks from 4 years ago. The style with their current games is nowhere near Point and Click territory, and is more of a newish genera of games. I know if they make a new Sam&max game they WILL make it true point and click or else fans would be furious. Tales from The Borderlands is making me happy, because Borderlands is a very Humor full series. Telltale NEEDS more laughs in my opinion

BANANNNG

• Has anyone looked at the other threads that were started asking about a new season? Its actually pretty funny seeing how mean and bleak some of these guys can be. Then you have some people on the complete opposite end of the spectrum with blind hope that there will be a new season. All I want to know is why they aren't posting here instead. Also I saw Chariots of the dogs and I noticed that Sam asks future Sam how to get to the moon but how could they possibly know that they needed to go to the moon if they haven't realized Hugh Bliss is the culprit until the end of their case?

• This is why I go armed with knowledge and a reference; I want people to be happy, but with realistic expectations :)

Huh... I have to go back and play that again, but GOOD POINT o_o They might've found out about it elsewhere (and gotten a spoiler for their own lives, lol), but I don't recall hearing anything logically leading to that, either. Color me intrigued.

Has anyone looked at the other threads that were started asking about a new season? Its actually pretty funny seeing how mean and bleak som

Sign in to comment in this discussion.