Tom Wilson

We all know Tom Wilson for playing Biff in all 3 BTTF movies plus he reprised the role for the now deceased BTTF ride and the animated series but I was wondering, do you think TellTale could pull it off and actually get him to voice Biff again?

The reason why I ask is cause of recent years, Wilson has been distancing himself from the series, he won't sign memorabilia, he doesn't like been asked questions about it, he admitted in an interview years ago he was embarrased about his role which is a real shame cause I don't understand why?

Some say its cause hes afraid of typecasting but to be honest he is been typecast in a way cause he does a lot of voiceover work and most of the characters he plays are like bully types very much like Biff, I've seen this a lot on Spongebob Squarepants when he voices an episode.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    We all know Tom Wilson for playing Biff in all 3 BTTF movies plus he reprised the role for the now deceased BTTF ride and the animated series but I was wondering, do you think TellTale could pull it off and actually get him to voice Biff again?

The reason why I ask is cause of recent years, Wilson has been distancing himself from the series, he won't sign memorabilia, he doesn't like been asked questions about it, he admitted in an interview years ago he was embarrased about his role which is a real shame cause I don't understand why?

Some say its cause hes afraid of typecasting but to be honest he is been typecast in a way cause he does a lot of voiceover work and most of the characters he plays are like bully types very much like Biff, I've seen this a lot on Spongebob Squarepants when he voices an episode.

The reason he probably distances himself from back to the future, is because he doesn't want to keep playing the same character over and over again. I mean Thomas Wilson has portrayed Biff about 5 times, and maybe he is tired of the role. Wants to try a different route, he is a stand up comedian, and I'm sure if telltale wanted him, he would do it.
  • edited September 2010
    I'd actually be pretty surprised if they aren't able to get him.

I'm sure he wanted to distance him self from the character some, but at a certain point.... a brothas' gotta eat! If it's decent pay for reading a couple lines over a weeks time, I'm sure he'd suck it up.
  • edited September 2010
    I asked him on his official Youtube page, but he never responded...

On a side note...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y
  • edited September 2010
    I saw that too and I sent him a question about it on his YouTube as well and he has a "pending approval" option switched on for all messages so its less likely he will reply nor even respond to any BTTF related questions which kinda sucks.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    Geez Viana, You should have been a moderator ;)

I'd sticky the hell out of this sub-forum.
    BTW, I applied, but never got an answer. :D
  • edited September 2010
    i'd sticky the hell out of this sub-forum.
    Btw, i applied, but never got an answer. :d
    :D But seriously those mods should learn some of your organising skills.
    And those TellTale admins better make you a mod, ... or ... or else :D
  • edited September 2010
    He's listed in IMDb as rumored for the game.
  • edited September 2010
    Tom Wilson is a wonderful comedian and an extremely nice guy, when he's not being pestered about BTTF stuff. It'd make me so very happy if he agreed to do the game...but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
  • edited September 2010
    We're pretty lax mods, generally speaking - the forums aren't exactly high turnover and as far as I'm concerned it's fine to have a thread dedicated to Tom Wilson (note: there are no Tom Wilson threads in Vainamoinen's list)...

Also Sticky Threads suck.
  • edited September 2010

Not only that but James Tolkan has been rumoured to reprise his role as Mr Strickland (Hill Valley High School Principal)
  • edited September 2010

Here is the thing about IMDB: It is only vaguely more moderated that Wikipedia. Anyone can upload information. In fact, it is harder to have false information removed than it is to add it. A few years ago, IMDB had it that Jay and Silent Bob was in a never aired episode of My Name is Earl. It took literally a year of dozens of people reporting the error to have it removed.
    edited September 2010
    OK then, I'm cool and willing to contribute!! :D :D :D

Watch TFW doing voice over stuff this past month!! He's brilliant!

http://tomwilsonusa.blogspot.com/2010/08/voice-over.html
  • edited September 2010
    They can reuse the Biff model for each time period.
  • edited September 2010
    If he's not willing to do the voice, hopefully he'll at least let Telltale have the likeness rights...
  • edited September 2010
    In 2011? Maybe for the finale episode?

and I agree, he seems a great guy, I'm subbed to him too
    edited September 2010
    PedsterUK wrote: »
    In 2011? Maybe for the finale episode?

Presuming 5 episodes, and also presuming a monthly release schedule starting next winter as announced, at least three and quite, quite possibly all episodes are released in 2011. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    If it truly starts in winter, that's at least four episodes. Doesn't winter begins at mid-December?
  • edited September 2010
    If it truly starts in winter, that's at least four episodes. Doesn't winter begins at mid-December?

Bob Gale stated in an interview that the 1st episode would be out in early November sometime after the DVD and Blu-Ray release of the trilogy. I'm guessing they are going to release them like they did with the first 2 seasons of Sam & Max where the 1st episode came out in November then we didn't get the 2nd till mid January because with it been the holiday season in December most of the team maybe taking time off.
    edited September 2010
    Bob Gale stated in an interview that the 1st episode would be out in early November

"I think they're looking towards the end of October, beginning of November to release the first level." - This is not a confirmation of any release schedule. In fact, it's Bob Gale making assumptions. Also, at PAX, the original, non-commital time frame "this winter" was repeatedly stated and confirmed by Dennis Lenart from TTG.

Weren't we talking about Tom Wilson just now?
    edited October 2010
    On-topic:

I'm checking Tom's blog every day, but it's still the old but fabulous "Voice over" video (which I could watch three times a day).

Actually, it would be great if no more announcements were made concerning voices, and then, with the first episode, we'd wonder where Biff is... and in the last stages of episode 1, we'd have a great surprising Biff introduction with Tom Wilson's voice. Wouldn't that be great?
    edited October 2010
    Triple-post, uh-oh. Nonetheless:

Tom finally has a new video up! Nothing about the BTTF game, although the words "Hello McFly" are uttered at a certain point... but see for yourself. ;)

http://vimeo.com/16261528
    http://tomwilsonusa.blogspot.com/

That guy is crrrrrazy as hell. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Boomershine!!!!
  • edited October 2010
    Triple-post, uh-oh. Nonetheless:

Tom finally has a new video up! Nothing about the BTTF game, although the words "Hello McFly" are uttered at a certain point... but see for yourself. ;)

http://vimeo.com/16261528
    http://tomwilsonusa.blogspot.com/

That guy is crrrrrazy as hell. ;)

Haha, the face of Tom Wilson was brilliant when the guy said: "Hello McFly"

Really makes me doubt we'll see him doing any voice cast for BttF adventure game.
    I'm still hoping he'll do it though.
  • edited October 2010
    O_o

Kinda hard to believe he's pesting about the role, I personally find it the most enjoying of the Trilogy!

IMHO to find him in TTG BTTF would be epic!
    edited October 2010
    ...and welcome to the forums, ionreflex! ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry to hear that Tom is now so ambivalent about his BTTF roles. He was great, as he was in the Wing Commander games.
  • edited November 2010
    I emailed Tom Wilson to thank him for allowing his likeliness in the game. Don't know if he really appreciates that :D
  • edited November 2010
    He likely has no idea. The merch/likeness rights are probably all in Universal's hands. :p

MJF was different as he specifically didn't let Universal get his likeness rights when he signed the movie contracts. And if Telltale did indeed asked Lloyd for his likeness, it was probably more out of courtesy than any legal obligation.
    edited November 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    He likely has no idea. The merch/likeness rights are probably all in Universal's hands. :p

MJF was different as he specifically didn't let Universal get his likeness rights when he signed the movie contracts. And if Telltale did indeed asked Lloyd for his likeness, it was probably more out of courtesy than any legal obligation.

Aren't these rights supposed to expire after a certain period of time? After 20 (!) years, I can't imagine that Universal can still "permit" someone to use the face of an actor just because they were in these movies once. Also, weren't Crispin Glover's likeness rights the issue for BTTF II?
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Yes. And otherwise they didn't need to ask M.J. Fox for his likeliness.
  • edited November 2010
    Whether they expire or not is up to the individual contract, I guess. It's the likeness of the character that the studios own, and that ought to last.
    edited November 2010
    It WOULD make things easier for TTG. But I'd love to hear an official answer in this matter.

Last thing I read about likeness rights was in Drew Struzan's latest book. Disney wanted him to paint posters for their "Indiana Jones" park ride in 1989. They had bought the rights for story and character - but instructed Drew explicitly not to paint Harrison Ford's likeness because these rights did not come with the character (Drew eventually actually called Ford at his private home and got his personal permission to paint his likeness, but that's another story ;) ).
  • edited November 2010
    I'm sure if they drive a dumptruck up to Wilson's front lawn and drop a desirable amount of money on it, he will be up for it.
  • edited November 2010

so good :D made me grab my guitar wishing to play it
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah its kinda unique in the BTTF sense, most movies you have different villians so to speak. But what really makes BTTF work so great and yet so unique, is that you have this speciel way with Marty And Doc and the Biff.

He is just so larger than life haha, Those 3 actors atleast for me are the core of BTTF.

But i imagine it could be hard to keep coming up with new roles for BIFF. we have seen his young days, he old days, wild wild west biff, alternative reality BIFF.
  • edited November 2010
    I imagine they'll try to find some way to include a Tannen into the game. Since we know that Marty will go back in time to meet young Doc, I'm sure Tannen will be a bully to the nerdy young Doc. Probably Biff's dad.
  • edited November 2010
    Eff One wrote: »
    I'm sure if they drive a dumptruck up to Wilson's front lawn and drop a desirable amount of manure, he will be up for it.

^ fixed...... "I hate manure!"....... Ok, I thought it was funny!
    edited November 2010
    What exactly would you consider a desirable amount of manure?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.