Tom Wilson

Comments

• edited December 2010
    It's possible (probable) his agent has been told he doesn't do any BTTF related stuff, so the lines of communication from Telltale may have been shut down pretty much immediately.

Alan, I think BTTF.com just used his comments on youtube as the basis for a story.
  • edited December 2010
    BTTF.com has confirmed that to date, despite what IMDb.com states, Tom Wilson has not been offered the voice role of "Biff Tannen" in the games.

From the article here: http://bttf.com/telltale-provides-first-look-at-back-to-the-future-the-game.php
  • edited December 2010
    That must be wrong.. there is no way that Telltale wouldn't attempt to get the proper actor for Biff.
  • edited December 2010
    Where's that? Not seeing it on BTTF.com. But yeah, as far as I know, we have reached out to Tom Wilson's representatives.

Well, I hope you do get him, cause having all the voice actors, sans Fox would be great, but from that YouTube comment he left in that one picture, I kinda have my doubts.

Hope I'm wrong though.
  • edited December 2010
    But yeah, as far as I know, we have reached out to Tom Wilson's representatives.
    So, it sounds like Telltale did want Wilson and could afford him, Wilson probably would have wanted to do it, but somebody in the middle shut it down. Bah! That's just sad, then. Whoever's "representing" Tom Wilson obviously isn't doing such a good job representing him if they turned away a project he probably would have wanted to do. They must have never heard of Telltale or automatically assumed that "BTTF video game" = crap. And based on past experiences with BTTF video games, I don't blame 'em.

Is there any chance the first episode may be sent to his people upon completion so they can see that it's a quality product and maybe an Earl Boen-like thing can be worked out, where Wilson can come in and record the rest of the episodes and re-record the ones he missed?
  • edited December 2010
    There is an awful lot of speculation going on in this thread (I know, I've been party to it too), but let's be careful not to assume too much regarding the specifics of Wilson not reprising Biff in the game.
  • edited December 2010
    The funny thing is, when I heard there was gonna be a back to te future game. I some sort of expected Christopher Lloyd and Tom Wilson (of all actors) to lend their voice to it.

But that comment of Tom is sure confusing. It could be a joke after all! He seems like the type of guy (with the kind of humor) who likes to fool us all. And of course Telltale tried to get him, obviously. But maybe they should sent him presents and stuff, so he'll change his mind.:p
    (If it was his own choice)

Otherwise I still have hope he will show up in the second episode.
    That release date is somewhere after about two months, right?
  • edited December 2010
    Hamkaas wrote: »
    The funny thing is, when I heard there was gonna be a back to te future game. I some sort of expected Christopher Lloyd and Tom Wilson (of all actors) to lend their voice to it.

But that comment of Tom is sure confusing. It could be a joke after all! He seems like the type of guy (with the kind of humor) who likes to fool us all. And of course Telltale tried to get him, obviously. But maybe they should sent him presents and stuff, so he'll change his mind.:p

Otherwise I still have hope he will show up in the second episode.
    That release date is somewhere after about two months, right?
    Yes in February sometime. They did the same thing for Sam and Max season 2 (presumably because of Christmas/New Year).
  • edited December 2010
    Hamkaas wrote: »

There are certain protocols when it comes to booking talent. It is done via their agent. It would be totally unprofessional for Telltale to send gifts and contact Tom directly, hounding him.

And if the agent is screening BTTF related requests, I'm sure they're doing so for a reason.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Umm...obviously he was joking. ;
  • edited December 2010
    ¬¬

Hmmm.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh sorry. Yeah, I didn't meant that seriously.
  • edited December 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y

Again someone asked him if he was contacted. He replied:

"Again, no."

Alan, please take note of this and maybe you could let the rest of the TTG team know about it.
    It would be a pity if Tom Wilson wasn't in the game only due to miscommunication.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »

"Again, no."

Alan, please take note of this and maybe you could let the TTG team know about it.
    It would be a pity if Tom Wilson wasn't in the game only due to miscommunication.

Agreed.
  • edited December 2010

"Again, no."

Alan, please take note of this and maybe you could let the rest of the TTG team know about it.

The team is definitely aware of this. And I will re-iterate it again, as far as I know, Telltale did, in fact, reach out to Tom Wilson's reps.
  • edited December 2010
    It's too late to reach out and get him now though, for a second shot. :/
  • edited December 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »
    It's too late to reach out and get him now though, for a second shot. :/
    Not necessarily. Again, Earl Boen. He can always get on board for the later episodes and re-record the earlier ones, if he's so inclined.
  • edited December 2010
    Earl Boen?
    I'm sure TellTale has most of the lines recorded for atleast Ep1-3 perhaps 4 now.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    No they don't.
    In the interview with AVGN AJ said how he doesn't know what's going to happen further.
    Also I think somewhere in the live chat or in a Q&A with the developers they have only written up till ep 2.
    But that was a couple of weeks ago.

Still I don't think they have recorded most of the material yet since they're probably still working on the details of the story of some eps.
  • edited December 2010
    My thinking always was that Mr. Wilson may not have been contacted yet since Biff (or one of his ancestors) won't be showing up until Get Tannen. I mean, the family name is in the title. Add in the skipping over of January for Episode 2's release and there's plenty of time to contact him. However, if there really is some sort of miscommunication going on, that should be addressed...quickly.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    No they don't.
    In the interview with AVGN AJ said how he doesn't know what's going to happen further.
    Also I think somewhere in the live chat or in a Q&A with the developers they have only written up till ep 2.
    But that was a couple of weeks ago.

Still I don't think they have recorded most of the material yet since they're probably still working on the details of the story of some eps.
    "Why do we always have to cut these things so damn close?"
    ~ Marty McFly on working with Telltale
  • edited December 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »
    Earl Boen?
    I'm sure TellTale has most of the lines recorded for atleast Ep1-3 perhaps 4 now.

If Monkey Island is anything to go by, they usually have a set outline of the story, but the little things like small comments, chatty things, etc, are written right up to the next monthly recording session. That's how they were able to get the Grog xD reference in TOMI.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Exactly what I was thinking. Main red thread narrative is already mapped out, then the eps are fleshed out accordingly.
  • edited December 2010
    The facts:

Wilson says he has not been contacted. And that's about all the facts we got so far.

Now, if we are really to presume that Telltale couldn't reach Wilson through chains of his agents - wouldn't Telltale if they were serious about getting Wilson for role notice sooner or later that Wilson is not responding or is not aware of the deal, and wouldn't they contact him personally? I mean, the guy has a Youtube channel, how hard is to contact him and see if he is willing to do it at first place.

So, either Tom Wilson is lying or Telltale didn't contact him so far.

If we are to believe that Wilson is telling the truth, then why Telltale didn't contact him?

1) They didn't want to contact him.
    2) Someone other then Telltale involved in production didn't want Wilson involved in project.
    3) They didn't contact him yet, but they will for later episodes.
  • edited December 2010
    wouldn't Telltale if they were serious about getting Wilson for role notice sooner or later that Wilson is not responding or is not aware of the deal

No, TellTale probably likes to refrain from giving others bad publicity.
    They wanted to keep this under the wraps and just wait for the gamers to play the game.
    They might've thought that announcing Tom Wilson is not involved would give people less of an incentive to purchase the game and call it 'faaaake' etcetc.

For now the best move for TellTale is just to keep it low.
    Which could also be because things are undecided as of yet. They might still plan on getting him on board.
  • edited December 2010
    "notice" does not stand here for Telltale to notice public about it

what i meant with notice is their own awareness of the fact that Tom Wilson didn't get their proposition
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe we should blame Tom Wilson's agent. He's probably pulling a Grima Wormtongue on him.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe they're waiting to see exactly how much they make off of the first episode until they attempt to get Tom Wilson to voice Biff. All they need is a couple days to record dialogue, maybe they aren't completely finished with the game.
  • edited December 2010
    Actually I've seen Tom Wilson's stand up and he jokes about a lot of the questions he gets asked about BTTF, even has a song about it. He's pretty light hearted with it, so I don't see why he wouldn't want to do the voice of the Tannens
  • edited December 2010
    wouldn't Telltale if they were serious about getting Wilson for role notice sooner or later that Wilson is not responding or is not aware of the deal, and wouldn't they contact him personally?

No. Again, there is a procedure in place for contacting talent, and bypassing their agents is not the proper way to conduct business.
  • edited December 2010
    TBH Biff without Tom is like selling a car without an engine.

We know MJF can't do Marty, for obvious reasons and we accept that.

We just need to wait and see with Tom - and if he is bugged by random people asking if he is voicing Biff, it may tip him over the edge. Not good.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    PedsterUK wrote: »
    TBH Biff without Tom is like selling a car without an engine.

Please... no... car... similes... had... enough... of... these... ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Brainiac wrote: »
    My thinking always was that Mr. Wilson may not have been contacted yet since Biff (or one of his ancestors) won't be showing up until Get Tannen.
    I would be shocked, SHOCKED, if there's no Tannen at all in the first episode. Then again, that would explain why we haven't seen him in any gameplay footage or promotional materials (once again, excluding the "Blitz Through Time" instructions). But that would also mean that the 1931 part of the game extends over at least two episodes (
    because of the 1931 Tannen we saw in those instructions
    ), and I kind of just naturally assumed that we would be visiting at least one new time period per episode (because the way I see it, if you're going to build a "Back to the Future" video game into an episodic series, why not do it with some style? And by "with some style" I mean, at least one new time period per episode). Either way, I just can't imagine a Tannen not being in the first episode. The Tannens are integral to "Back to the Future": it's always Marty and Doc trying to fix the past (or the future) and a Tannen standing in their way.

Which, to bring the point home, is why it would be so sweet if they could get Tom Wilson after all. I'm sure whoever they cast as the replacement voice is, at the very least, passable, but there's no beating the real deal. I'm prayin' for a Christmas miracle...
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Surprisingly I wouldn't be shocked if there was no Tannen in ep.1
    BttF is not just about the Tannens, but also about solving space-time continuum problems like preventing paradoxes or altering an unfortunate future...or retaining one.

Personally I'd prefer to have no Tannen in ep.1
    Maybe some references to him or something, but I'd like to see a nice buildup throughout the episodes with each one getting more tense and exciting. We can safely assume that ep.4 double visions is going to have multiple Marty's and/or Doc and I am glad that they're saving that stuff up for ep.4
    Makes me wonder what the finale will be about. :D

Also...I suspect that in ep.2 we'll be going to the 40's and face Kid Tannen.
    edited December 2010
    There will be (a) Biff in episode 1. I sense that his name will be...
    Kid Tannen, of course!! It's the 30's, that's where this character belongs!
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Surprisingly I wouldn't be shocked if there was no Tannen in ep.1
    BttF is not just about the Tannens, but also about solving space-time continuum problems like preventing paradoxes or altering an unfortunate future...or retaining one.

Personally I'd prefer to have no Tannen in ep.1
    Maybe some references to him or something, but I'd like to see a nice buildup throughout the episodes with each one getting more tense and exciting.

Also...I suspect that in ep.2 we'll be going to the 40's and face Kid Tannen.

Well, if you had a kid Tannen, that'd at least solve the Wilson problem, though one can only hope that the situation with Mr. Wilson can get fixed, though it's weird that Telltale says that they tried to get ahold of him and he says that they didn't.

Personally, that sounds like it's a problem with his agent more then anything, IMO anyways.
    edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    though it's weird that Telltale says that they tried to get ahold of him and he says that they didn't.

When and where exactly did anyone working at Telltale state something like that?
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Flip back a page. =)
  • edited December 2010
    When and where exactly did anyone working at Telltale state something like that?

Previous page, very first post where Alan Johnson said that they tried getting ahold of his representatives.
    edited December 2010
    Whooops, I missed that, thank you! How can I miss anything in this forum?? Bwaaagh!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.