Tom Wilson

Comments

• edited November 2010
    but it wasnt real manure in the movies (as we all know), that would be very mean.

mmmmh... maybe he owns a drop-top? so we could put it right into his car. so we make sure he definitely gets the point
  • edited November 2010
    What exactly would you consider a desirable amount of manure?

Just enough to properly fertilize the lawn and garden, I suppose
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    wilsoncomments.gif

That really bothers me.

So it seems Tom Wilson (a professional voice actor) would have loved to do it, but wasn't contacted. I take his comments with a lot of grains of salt, though. He kept absolutely quiet for five months although I know for sure he had to erase a lot of comments inquiring about the game from his blog(s); would his agent have kept him from contacting TTG himself while there was still time? Is the active seeking of contact with TTG something unfitting to the actor? Or was his quietness some way of procrastinating the decision on how to react in case he is approached?

Telltale must have assumed that he doesn't want to be associated with the role any more; but still they got Tom's likeness rights, didn't they? So did that happen even without a phone call of some sorts? I can understand if he was left out for budgetary reasons (this game is expensive enough for such a small company; something Wilson doesn't seem to grasp by commenting "they're shooting for an inferior product"). But that there was no contact at all even when Christopher Lloyd was already on board?

Now Wilson seems p****d, which is a great pity, because he seems such a likeably guy - still I can't find any justification for him to attack a product he hasn't yet seen.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah what made him "hate or dislike" BTTF so much i wonder? there must have been some point in his life that he eventually thought "i don't want to be associated with the whole BIFF character anymore, go away!" or something :confused:

It's too bad really because he was also 1 of the bigger roles in the BTTF movies. Without him the movies would be so different!
  • edited December 2010
    I knew this would happen, hes turned his back on the franchise that made him what he is today, his stand-up isn't all that good anyway.
  • edited December 2010
    What a shame he's become so fed up with the series.
  • edited December 2010
    Nobody wants to be typecasted, and well it would be awesome to see a tannen played by wilson.
  • edited December 2010
    So it seems Tom Wilson (a professional voice actor) would have loved to do it, but wasn't contacted.

He doesn't say in the image you posted that he would have loved do it, just that he wasn't contacted. If he has indeed tried to distance himself from the Back to the Future franchise as I've read in this thread, then I don't think he would have loved to do it. Hell, he could have contacted them himself if he was so keen, but evidently he isn't.
  • edited December 2010
    I think a lot of people here might be overreacting about his desire to distance himself from the franchise. I've seen him live at a comedy club once, I own his album, and I own his standup DVD. In each of these standup performances, he does act a little exaggeratedly bitter, not about his association with the role, but about the fact that it's the only thing anyone ever wants to talk to him about. He's tired of being treated like a mere pop-culture footnote, which is understandable--even Leonard Nimoy felt the same way about Spock once.
  • edited December 2010
    Wow...I don't get it! Why? I mean...why??
  • edited December 2010
    but still they got Tom's likeness rights, didn't they?
    No they didn't.

Except for Micheal j Fox and Crispin Glover, the likeness rights is Universal's problem.
  • edited December 2010
    Pinchpenny wrote: »
    He doesn't say in the image you posted that he would have loved do it, just that he wasn't contacted. If he has indeed tried to distance himself from the Back to the Future franchise as I've read in this thread, then I don't think he would have loved to do it. Hell, he could have contacted them himself if he was so keen, but evidently he isn't.

I think they're possibly just interpreting he comment about obviously wanting to release an inferior product. Doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd say if you weren't interesting in doing it.
  • edited December 2010
    Woah, woah. Lemme get this straight:

Tom isn't too keen on his role as Biff and has tried to disassociate himself from it in recent years (for understandable reasons, I guess). But now he's suddenly sour grapes because Telltale didn't contact him about being the character he's openly dissed in the game?

.... My head hurts.
  • edited December 2010
    Woah, woah. Lemme get this straight:

Tom isn't too keen on his role as Biff and has tried to disassociate himself from it in recent years (for understandable reasons, I guess). But now he's suddenly sour grapes because Telltale didn't contact him about being the character he's openly dissed in the game?

.... My head hurts.

He never did that ? oO He's just pissed that people only talk to him about the movies. He never said he hated the movies nor his character...

If a game is made out of the movies that made your career and use your character and likeness, and aren't even contacted, wouldn't you be a little pissed ?

I mean, look at Star wars actors ... That doesn't mean they're not all up for some voice acting or photoshooting from time to time ...
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Still.....if you want to distance yourself from BttF, doing a voice in the game isn't the way to do that.

But now that I think about it....maybe he doesn't want to distance himself. Just like is said he's just tired of people ONLY associating him with BttF and nothing else. As if that's the only thing he's done.

I think Tom Wilson embraces BttF. He's real thankful for the experience and he wrote a song relating to it in his show. If he really wanted to dinstance himself he wouldn't have done that. He's just a little tired of all the 'Butthead requests and 'Hey, McFly!'

I think Tom Wilson was willing to do this. I think he'd approach it as a gig. Means to earn his bread. I mean it's the most easy money for him and probably a lot of fun with little stress. Just 2 days worth of speaking lines of a character you're familiar with.
  • edited December 2010
    Honestly? I pretty much remember Tom as the good-but-paranoid/conspiracy theorist cop Matt Bluestone from 'Disney's Gargoyles'. It wasn't until recently (thanks to TV Tropes) did I find out he was Biff.

Go figure.
  • edited December 2010
    The guy happened to appear in one of the most beloved comedy-adventure movies of the 20th century (and its well-loved sequels). I could see distancing myself from it in 1995, 2000 and maybe up until 2005, but eventually you have to admit "People loved me in this movie. 25 years later people love it more than ever. Maybe it's time to embrace it, as I haven't managed to top that in a quarter of a century." That's not to say he's not an accomplished comedian and actor, but he struck gold out of the gate, like Cuba Gooding Jr. There are a million actors who would kill for that opportunity. Come on, Tom! Hug it out, Biff!
  • edited December 2010
    I can understand if he was left out for budgetary reasons (this game is expensive enough for such a small company; something Wilson doesn't seem to grasp by commenting "they're shooting for an inferior product").
    This has to be the reason (well, either that or they contacted his agent and the agent passed on Wilson's behalf without consulting with him). I really don't think Telltale would intentionally not contact him if they could afford him.

Honestly, it's Telltale's silence on this topic that bothers me more than Wilson's comments and his conflicting attitudes toward BTTF. Somebody from the team popping in here and saying "Sorry, our voice actor budget just wasn't big enough" (or whatever the real explanation is) would end all the speculation right away. Are there legalities involved with doing something like that?
  • edited December 2010
    I think the role portrayed him in a very negative way, and all though he received a lot of very positive attention for the role, he did not feel that it was his best work and does not like considering it being his most well known work.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Imho I do think it's his best work together with his comedy shows, the guy is seriously funny. Apart from these I haven't seen his other work though, so why am I so hasty to dare say BttF is one of his best works if not best?

In the movies, especially BttF2, pulls off an amazing feat. He displays five(five!) different alterations of Biff(I am counting Griff) and somehow he makes you forget they are all played by the same actor! He displays them all so well and all in their own way. That is just an admirable piece of acting.

Even now when I rewatch BttF 2 and I see the 'evil Biff' from 1985A I have trouble imagining it's the same guy playing the 'Bully Biff' in 1985 and the same guy playing a crazy futuristc teenager in 2015.
  • edited December 2010
    Honestly? I pretty much remember Tom as the good-but-paranoid/conspiracy theorist cop Matt Bluestone from 'Disney's Gargoyles'. It wasn't until recently (thanks to TV Tropes) did I find out he was Biff.

Go figure.

I'll mostly remember him as Major Todd "Maniac" Marshall from Wing Commander III and IV (Prophecy is a nightmare that never happened :p).
  • edited December 2010

Go figure.
    I'll mostly remember him as Major Todd "Maniac" Marshall from Wing Commander III and IV (Prophecy is a nightmare that never happened :p).
    I'll always remember him as Coach Fredricks from "Freaks and Geeks". Well, in addition to Biff. :)
  • edited December 2010
    But now he's suddenly sour grapes because Telltale didn't contact him about being the character he's openly dissed in the game?

I don't believe for one second that he's actually bitter, or seriously dissing the game. It was a joke. He makes those from time to time, being a snarky comedian. ;)
    edited December 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    I don't believe for one second that he's actually bitter, or seriously dissing the game. It was a joke. He makes those from time to time, being a snarky comedian. ;)

For a joke, there's unfortunately the punchline missing. I could think of one, but it would be too optimistic to even think of it. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    It is entirely possible that he is involved in the game but just can't say anything about it, due to a NDA and/or simply wanting to keep it a surprise.
  • edited December 2010
    For a joke, there's unfortunately the punchline missing.

Granted, not everybody appreciates everybody else's style of humor, but I think "inferior product" is a fine punchline. It's an example of exaggeratedly-absurd egotism, like mock-bragging about how your arrival at a party makes it stop sucking.

To break down the joke more closely: The setup is "I wasn't asked to do the BTTF game." The punchline is "Clearly, they're shooting for an inferior product." Obviously, the idea that any company would have "inferior product" as their goal is ridiculous, but the word "clearly" implies that it's the only possible explanation. Acting like the most ridiculous explanation is the logical one is an old joke format, and is in fact the basis of "Strange Minds Think Alike".

But again, I've listened to a lot of Tom's standup comedy, where he does a lot of pseudo-egotistical jokes, and then I met him in person, where he proved himself to be much nicer and more generous than his comic persona, so I'm sure a familiarity with his style versus his real self helps contextualize the joke.
  • edited December 2010
    I met Tom back at FX 2002 in my Area and he was an Awesome Guy! so kind and Thankful, what a difference from the Films. :D
  • edited December 2010
    I believe Tom Wilson is an exceptional good guy in real life.
    You should check his 'In Usa' videos. He hangs around with local people does some CRAZY recordings involving a pet doll. lol...
  • edited December 2010
    Would rather meet Tom than Lady GaGa........ At least I know Tom is a guy!
  • edited December 2010
    So if they didn't get Tom's likeness in the game, how exactly are they going to do eposide 2? It is listed as Get Tannen after all.

As for that picture, ouch, just ouch, William Atherton came back to do his role for the Ghostbusters game, and we all know that that character he did was majorly dislikable, but of course, that was an entirely different franchise altogether.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe Telltale are planning to do an Earl Boen again? As Monkey Island fans know, LeChuck was voiced by a different Voice Actor in the first episode, and was replaced with a different "Human LeChuck" for the next lot of episodes, until of course Episode 4 came around when LeChuck transforms back into his demon form and SURPRISE Earl Boen was back.

Of course revealed that Earl was retired so only wanted to make a one off trip to the studio, so they brought him in at the end to do the end of Episode 4 and all of 5 and at the same time re-record the lines from Episode 1 which would be used on the release DVD and port versions.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Huh?

So the DVD differs from the download version?
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    ^
    Huh?

So the DVD differs from the download version?

Yeah, the download on Telltale's website features the voice actor who they got in to replace Boen (as does the Wii version). The DVD version, as well as the MAC version and PS3 version have Boen in the first episode.
    edited December 2010
    I believe Tom Wilson is an exceptional good guy in real life.
    You should check his 'In Usa' videos. He hangs around with local people does some CRAZY recordings involving a pet doll. lol...

You are assuming that people in here didn't read the beginning of the thread (the first two pages). Well, they'd NEVER...

:D
  • edited December 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Yeah, the download on Telltale's website features the voice actor who they got in to replace Boen (as does the Wii version). The DVD version, as well as the MAC version and PS3 version have Boen in the first episode.

Are there other examples with TTG's game of where there is a difference in download version and disc version?
  • edited December 2010
    Are there other examples with TTG's game of where there is a difference in download version and disc version?

Would love to know too, hadn't heard of this change till now.
  • edited December 2010
    My understanding is that we DID reach out to Tom Wilson's people.
  • edited December 2010
    so is he still unconfirmed?
  • edited December 2010

But he told BTTF.com that he had not been contacted? Maybe some miscommunication somewhere along the pipeline?
  • edited December 2010
    But he told BTTF.com that he had not been contacted? Maybe some miscommunication somewhere along the pipeline?

Where's that? Not seeing it on BTTF.com. But yeah, as far as I know, we have reached out to Tom Wilson's representatives.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.