Tom Wilson

Comments

• edited December 2010
    maybe, just MAYBE, Wilson has distanced himself from the MOVIE franchise and told his agents not to disturb him about anything like BttF celebrations, reunions and such for whatever reason there might be - i don't know anything about his relationship with the franchise owners or if he just had enough about the movies like he expressed in a funny way in the Biff song.

However, maybe his agents wrongly interpreted that as not to pass him the offer for video game either, which Wilson might accept, and as we know it, he has already done a fantastic video game role as Maniac in Wing Commander 3 and 4.
    This is exactly what I think happened. [speculation]Especially since when Telltale contacted his representatives might have been around the same time a bunch of other people were contacting them about 25th anniversary activities, and they might have just lumped all BTTF stuff together for an automatic rejection.[/speculation]
  • edited December 2010
    However, maybe his agents wrongly interpreted that as not to pass him the offer for video game either, which Wilson might accept, and as we know it, he has already done a fantastic video game role as Maniac in Wing Commander 3 and 4.

I wish Tom would do some comedy acts with his Wing Commander. I do agree his role WAS better in WC. He was a hero in many ways.

I still say BTTF should try to give him a maybe possible good role vs being the bully in every time table.
  • edited December 2010
    I think that may be part of the BTTF troubles. Tom Wilson is, apparently, a very nice guy, but in the BTTF movies, he was always portraying a jerk. He might just be trying to distance himself from something that's probably already typecast him.
  • edited December 2010
    Hey I can understand Wilson wanting to get away from Biff role as much as possible. I'm sure being typecast sucks. If he doesn't want to do it, I'm sure they can find some one else.
  • edited December 2010
    I'd rather be typecast than not cast at all.
  • edited December 2010
    Not doing the voice of Biff for the BTTF game isn't going to change anything about him being typecast.
  • edited December 2010
    Mysticales wrote: »
    I wish Tom would do some comedy acts with his Wing Commander. I do agree his role WAS better in WC. He was a hero in many ways.

Too bad his "killscore" with the ladies didn't reflect his pilot one. :D
  • edited December 2010
    PimPamPet wrote: »
    Not doing the voice of Biff for the BTTF game isn't going to change anything about him being typecast.

True
  • edited December 2010
    I, too, don't think the voice actor for Biff is very reminiscent of Tom, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Doc and Marty are the only ones I really care about here.
  • edited December 2010
    I agree that Telltale should keep at trying to get Tom, especially if there has been a roadblock. Keep at it please, as Tom is IS AS MUCH BTTF as Michael and Christoper are to me! Biff is an essential component, and having the only guy who can play him properly would ad a huge amount of cred to this project with the fans!
  • edited December 2010
    Shame he didn't/could't reprise his role.

But there is still hope. Remember that Earl Boen did Chapter 5 and re-dubbed Chapter 1 of LeChuck in Tales of Monkey Island. So the same could happen with Tom doing all 5 in 1 go for the DVD.
  • edited December 2010
    Speaking of which, the updated Chapter 1 of TMI still isn't available for download...
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe Telltale approached Tom for this game and he just demanded too much money?
  • edited December 2010
    Tom said they never asked him at all, though.
  • edited December 2010
    Honestly? I pretty much remember Tom as the good-but-paranoid/conspiracy theorist cop Matt Bluestone from 'Disney's Gargoyles'. It wasn't until recently (thanks to TV Tropes) did I find out he was Biff.

Don't forget Todd 'Maniac' Marshall, either. :)
  • edited December 2010
    I'm mad, but in a sad way. Both voice actors (Kid Beyond for Biff and Owen Thomas for Kid) are not even trying to sound like Tom Wilson..

Kid Tannen voice is just wrong, it's not intimidating at all....

We might never know what REALLY happened between TT, the agents and Tom Wilson... it's a shame, his last voicework was for the Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions video game (he voiced Ultimate Electro)
  • edited December 2010
    Sp1ke wrote: »
    Owen Thomas for Kid
    I didn't even realize Kid Tannen wasn't voiced by Kid Beyond. Since all of the Tannens are played by Tom Wilson in the movies, I figured Kid Beyond would play all of the Tannens in the game. Kind of a strange choice that he doesn't. :confused:

BTW, is there a complete cast list for the game anywhere, other than the end credits? They're small there because of the next episode preview and they scroll by fast, too.
  • edited December 2010
    Tom Wilson still does voice over work, and I'd be shocked if he simply refused to do the Biff character. Maybe they wouldn't meet his price/demands, but to not even bother to ask him is wrong.
  • edited December 2010
    Greg2600 wrote: »
    Tom Wilson still does voice over work, and I'd be shocked if he simply refused to do the Biff character. Maybe they wouldn't meet his price/demands, but to not even bother to ask him is wrong.

TellTale tried to get him to do it through his agents, but either they simply said, "Mr Wilson is not doing anything related to Back to the Future," or they never passed the offer on to Tom.
  • edited December 2010
    Biff, in his many guises, was always my favourite character(s) of the trilogy, and Thomas F Wilson's performance was just iconic. I was just wondering if Telltale pursued the possibility of getting him back to voice Biff for the game at all, and why this wasn't possible? I can understand Michael J Fox not being able to do it, and for the smaller characters it not being worth it (eg approaching Crispin Glover!) but 1) Thomas F Wilson seems to not be doing much on the acting front, and 2) He doesn't seem to bear the series any ill-will. So would he really have been that prohibitively expensive to get back? He wouldn't have had to voice ALL the versions of Biff after all (Kid Tannen etc) - they didn't get Chris Lloyd to voice Young Doc - just present Biff (and maybe Griff if he shows up in future eps!) Just wondering if a mod from Telltale will satisfy my curiosity on this? :)

PS Loved Episode 1 and thoroughly looking forward to seeing the story and game develop!
  • edited December 2010
    The whole Tom Wilson situation is explained here and here, and I suspect this thread will get merged into one of those shortly.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh thanks for that, I somehow missed that thread! *feels stoopid* :) Sorry mods!
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    The whole Tom Wilson situation is explained here and here, and I suspect this thread will get merged into one of those shortly.

If you don't want to read through the whole threads, the short version is: Telltale says they reached out to Tom's people, but Tom says he was never contacted for the role, so the agents presumably never told him about the offer.
  • edited December 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    If you don't want to read through the whole threads, the short version is: Telltale says they reached out to Tom's people, but Tom says he was never contacted for the role, so the agents presumably never told him about the offer.

Cheers doggans - man, that's such a shame. As much as I thought Telltale nailed the atmosphere and voices of the new game (and they really did) - that was the one bit of magic that was missing for me... :(
  • edited December 2010
    Just wanted to add my voice to the many people who've already made the plea to Telltale to keep trying to get Thomas F Wilson! To have him at least re-voice Biff (if not every iteration like Kid Tannen etc) for future chapters (or even if it's too late for that, then the DVD release - I'd even buy the full game again if it meant having that) would make this game series perfect. Please please please make it happen Telltale!!!!!!
  • edited December 2010
    It is sad that Wilson is, for whatever reason, not involved. I don't know if he has just told his agent to burn anything BttF related what comes his way, this getting caught up in the 25th anniversary stuff, interviews and what-not or if the agent decided to turn it down on his behalf, but I do hope that Tom is aware that he has been offered it, and that the offer still stands, for a couple more months.

I don't think he would have snootily mentioned it being an "inferior product" without him if he was not interested in the role. Or maybe he would just like to be asked, unaware that he has been.
  • OetOet
    edited December 2010
    Has anyone opened this file yet?

%ProgramFiles%/Telltale Games/Back to the Future The Game/Episode 1/Pack/templates/success.html

For 64-bit users (like me):
    %ProgramFiles(x86)%/Telltale Games/Back to the Future The Game/Episode 1/Pack/templates/success.html
  • edited December 2010
    Oet wrote: »
    Has anyone opened this file yet?

%ProgramFiles%/Telltale Games/Back to the Future The Game/Episode 1/Pack/templates/success.html

For 64-bit users (like me):
    %ProgramFiles(x86)%/Telltale Games/Back to the Future The Game/Episode 1/Pack/templates/success.html

Just tried it... :D
  • edited December 2010
    What does it say?
    I don't have BTTF installed on this computer!
  • edited December 2010
    It says:

"Hi butthead!"
  • edited December 2010
    I'm calling chicanery! There is no way Thomas Wilson would turn this down! I mean he voiced a cartoon duck cameo version of Biff Tannen on an episode of Barnyard for Pete's Sake! IF he's willing to do that I'm sure he was willing to do this! I think that there is trickery and deception going on here! It's all smoke and mirrors! Don't be fooled! We may never know the truth but The Truth is Out There! I guarantee you that!
  • edited December 2010
    I figure the agent wasn't paying enough attention (or secretary) when it came in amongst all the other 25th anniversary stuff. Can imagine tree was a flood of requests
  • edited December 2010
    tarasis wrote: »
    Can imagine tree was a flood of requests

Make like a tree?
  • edited December 2010
    THought he was trying to distance himself from the role? Like he was sick of playing the bully, and being remembered as one.

My one burning question...he had a huge starring role in a run away commercial hit, why didn't he have a film career after BTTF?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    ... I think Tom owes us a "Let's play Back to the Future the Game" on Youtube. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    ... I think Tom owes us a "Let's play Back to the Future the Game" on Youtube. ;)

Oh, I second that! I'd love to hear his comments on the 1st Episode...especially on Biff's voice & Kid Tannen.
  • edited December 2010

That would make for many lulz.
  • WinWin
    edited January 2011
    :rolleyes:The Back To The Future series is one of the greatest stories around. Don't know why but it is.. Telltale games was able to get Christopher Lloyd to do Doc and A.J. does the best job as Marty Mcfly... "Why didn't Telltale games get Tom Wilson??" The actor who played Biff Tannen?. Tom Wilsons voice is incredible...Since we are waiting for new episodes to come I don't think it would be difficult to get him to Voice over the new voice actor/Biff and slide Tom Wilsons voice right in.
    Everyone loves Back To The Future, And I know everyone would love to hear Tom Wilson. Christopher Lloyd, A.J., and Tom Wilson would trully solidify this series..

"Please telltale games,".....[FONT="Impact"]Get Tom Wilson[/FONT]!!!! :)
  • edited January 2011
    They record lines 2-3 months ahead of release, so it's impractical for Telltale to switch now. In addition, Tom's agents didn't inform him of Telltale's offer, which led to them hiring Kid Beyond in his place.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.