Tom Wilson

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Dead on? Oh boy...
  • edited December 2010
    Well, this is a disappointment.
  • edited December 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    Also, the Biff concept art appears to use Wilson's likeness. It seems weird that they would have had enough contact with Tom to get the rights to his likeness but yet he insists he never was contacted...

i'm complete idiot when it comes to law, and i tried to read this article about personality rights but still don't get it - do you actually need to contact actor in order to get rights to likeness or is it enough to get rights from the film rights holder? If you don't need approval from an actual actor then that would explain it why Wilson says he wasn't contacted at all
  • edited December 2010
    Kid Beyond's voice work has always been stellar in other Telltale titles. I have no reason to doubt that I'll enjoy his Biff performance in the context of the conversations and story, even if a few isolated lines sound jarring at first.
  • edited December 2010
    To the people that mention the likeliness.
    Take into consideration that the art looks like Tom Wilson with all the make-up.
    I don't think they resemble young Biff that much.
  • edited December 2010
    Only a bit disappointed with the clips, but they might have been early on and Kid Beyond might be trying out different voices for each era.

In the end, I suppose it's no worse then getting adjusted to TTG's more Dan Ackroyd-ish Sam after being used to the manic John Candy-ish VA from the cartoon.
  • edited December 2010
    Tromeritus wrote: »
    In the end, I suppose it's no worse then getting adjusted to TTG's more Dan Ackroyd-ish Sam after being used to the manic John Candy-ish VA from the cartoon.
    :confused:
  • edited December 2010
    You seem to have some trouble understanding his native language. I'll translate.

He said, "In the end, I suppose it's no worse then getting adjusted to TTG's more Dan Ackroyd-ish Sam after being used to the manic John Candy-ish VA from the cartoon."
  • edited December 2010
    i'm complete idiot when it comes to law, and i tried to read this article about personality rights but still don't get it - do you actually need to contact actor in order to get rights to likeness or is it enough to get rights from the film rights holder? If you don't need approval from an actual actor then that would explain it why Wilson says he wasn't contacted at all

I honestly don't know either, but I was assuming since the announcement that "Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox have allowed us to use their likenesses" means that you have to get the the approval of the individual actors.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Read my post.
    If they use the likeliness of Tom Wilson covered in make-up they don't have to ask for permission. Since future Biff doesn't look like the real Tom Wilson.
  • edited December 2010
    If that's the case we won't see young Biff anywhere in the game, especially if you need an approval from an artist, since Wilson says he wasn't contacted at all about the video game.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    It is possible to see a young Biff. But his face will probably resemble the wimpy Biff more.
  • edited December 2010
    If that's the case we won't see young Biff anywhere in the game, especially if you need an approval from an artist, since Wilson says he wasn't contacted at all about the video game.

And I still think Wilson needs a new set of representatives since Telltale said that they got a hold of them, but he says they didn't. I can understand needing to go to the middleman, but middlemen still suck.
  • edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    And I still think Wilson needs a new set of representatives since Telltale said that they got a hold of them, but he says they didn't. I can understand needing to go to the middleman, but middlemen still suck.

That's correct. In fact we went through a few different channels in our efforts to reach out to Mr. Wilson.
  • edited December 2010
    That's correct. In fact we went through a few different channels in our efforts to reach out to Mr. Wilson.

Well, it's a shame that you couldn't go directly to him, especially since he does have a YouTube channel, but yeah, as it was mentioned, that would be rude.

Shame though that for whatever reason, his reps apparently didn't tell him about the offer.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I think what Alan is trying to say here with 'a few different channels' that they also tried his Youtube channel.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    ^
    I think what Alan is trying to say here with 'a few different channels' that they also tried his Youtube channel.

Well, I thought that he said they didn't want to contact him personally, and since that is his YouTube channel, that'd be personally, IMO anyways.
  • edited December 2010
    Owh okay. Excuse me then.
  • edited December 2010
    At this point, what's past is past. The only relevant question is: Is Telltale going to continue to try to get Tom Wilson, as they were able to get Earl Boen, during the course of the season (perhaps using footage of the first and/or second episode to persuade Mr. Wilson's representatives that the game is a quality product that he should be involved with)? If the answer is yes, then I'm still holding out hope that he will come on board at some point. If the answer is no, that Telltale is no longer going to try to get him, then I will start accepting and getting used to Kid Beyond's performance.
  • edited December 2010
    You can really tell that James Arnold Taylor is a professional voice actor.
    His lines are very very good I think. I can hear a bit of Lloyd in there. And the formula line is just perfect!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    At this point, what's past is past. The only relevant question is: Is Telltale going to continue to try to get Tom Wilson, as they were able to get Earl Boen, during the course of the season (perhaps using footage of the first and/or second episode to persuade Mr. Wilson's representatives that the game is a quality product that he should be involved with)? If the answer is yes, then I'm still holding out hope that he will come on board at some point. If the answer is no, that Telltale is no longer going to try to get him, then I will start accepting and getting used to Kid Beyond's performance.

Start accepting.

The Biff incarnations are ongoing roles in the game, and except for recalls, the voice recordings are done, I presume. That means for Wilson to be cast now, they would essentially have to re-record and re-pay for each and every Tannen line spoken. That's just not in the budget, whatever the budget is.
  • edited December 2010
    @Santar

Agreed. It's truly a young Doc Brown imho.
  • edited December 2010
    the voice recordings are done, I presume.
    Only the first and second episodes are done, as far as I'm aware. There's still time. If Telltale says they're still going to try to reach out to Tom Wilson, I won't fully accept Kid Beyond as the new Biff until I hear him in episode 5. If Telltale says they're done trying to contact him, then I will start accepting him immediately.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    inb4alansayswearedonetryingtocontacthim
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Read my post.
    If they use the likeliness of Tom Wilson covered in make-up they don't have to ask for permission. Since future Biff doesn't look like the real Tom Wilson.

Crispin Glover sued Universal for using his likeness in BTTF2. Young George was no where in that movie.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Yes he was.
    They used stock footage of him punching Biff and telling Lorraine "Are you okay?"
    Owh and him dancing solo in the ball room but with a binocular filter.

Also, they tried to make the actor look like Crispin through prostetics.
    Which is slightly easier to do than with a cartoon representations.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Yes he was.
    They used stock footage of him punching Biff and telling Lorraine "Are you okay?"
    Owh and him dancing solo in the ball room but with a binocular filter.

Also, they tried to make the actor look like Crispin through prostetics.
    Which is slightly easier to do than with a cartoon representations.

Doh! I forgot about that. But he specifically cited in a recent interview: "I just feel like I can be totally quiet about it and people [can] think that I've done this kind of wrong thing or I can tell the truth of what has happened. [Gale] did not address that what they did was totally immoral and illegal and just wrong. [They] put another actor into false nose, chin and cheekbones in order to fool people into believing that I was in the film."
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I guess it's all relative and the judge looked at the total picture.
    In Glover's case what he says about putting someone else in the movie fooling people it was him is true though. A lot of people only find out much later to be quite shocked.

So again, I don't know if Biff gave the okay word for his likeliness.
    I am just 100% sure that if he would sue no judge would deem TTG to be guilty.
    Yes their cartoon representation of Biff looks and feels like Biff, but it is not Tom Wilson.
    At least not enough to win a case.
  • edited December 2010
    Personally.. I think BTTF could ask Tom to come back, but this time.. allow Biff to use either the Delorean or the Time train to come and save the day somehow. Instead of being the "Bully" maybe this bully can become the guy who saves the day somehow. After all, he knows Doc and Marty (Based off the BTTF Ride storyline, Doc DID save Biff too) So it could be the new angle.
  • edited December 2010
    I remind you that the first season of Sam and Max they changed the voice of Max in the space of the first and second episode. I'm not sure but I think William Kasten had to rerecorded all the lines Kid Beyond had to do for the second episode.
  • edited December 2010
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Maybe we should blame Tom Wilson's agent. He's probably pulling a Grima Wormtongue on him.

Hahaha, good one!
    grima.jpg
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Well, every Back to the Future needs its scandal, so this whole Tom Wilson stuff actually makes the games BTTF 4. Don't you think? :D

(And it's Grima Wormtongue, not Silver Wolftongue!)
  • edited December 2010
    You know, it bugged me at first but Biff's new voice has grown on me. I'm sure you're all completely shocked that I'd say such a thing.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, every Back to the Future needs its scandal, so this whole Tom Wilson stuff actually makes the games BTTF 4. Don't you think? :D

(And it's Grima Wormtongue, not Silver Wolftongue!)

I don't think I would call it a 'scandal'.
  • edited December 2010
    Well tbh getting Christopher Lloyd was the important one, as I think we can all agree. As long as the replacement voice actor does a good job of voicing Biff, I don't mind at all.
  • edited December 2010
    "So what`s the deal?"

OK can Alan Johnson or someone set me straight here?

Are we saying Tom Wilson was happy to reprise Biff for the
    new games, but he didn`t get hired cos Telltale couldn`t
    get a hold of him??? Eh???

That we have a Wilson-less BTTF project, when he even did the crappy
    (sorry) cartoon version, just cos of a communication
    breakdown!?

As a BTTF fan of 25 years, that`s more than frustrating!
    Or as Doc would say "unbelievable!"

Or am I wrong somewhere?

Cheers!

(Ps pllllllllease TT get Tom for the sequel, as I`m sure this game
    will still be a big success and lead to one. But having only Chris
    Lloyd ,of the original cast, just aint enough! For me anyway.)
  • edited December 2010
    MiKE42 wrote: »
    Are we saying Tom Wilson was happy to reprise Biff for the new games, but he didn`t get hired cos Telltale couldn`t

Well, we don't know for a fact if Tom would have been happy to do it or not. All we can do is speculate.
  • edited December 2010
    MiKE42 wrote: »
    Are we saying Tom Wilson was happy to reprise Biff for the
    new games, but he didn`t get hired cos Telltale couldn`t
    The facts we have so far:

1. Tom Wilson's YouTube comment, in answer to a question asking whether he had been contacted to reprise the role of Biff in the game:
    Tom Wilson wrote:
    No, not in any way. Clearly, they're shooting for an inferior product.
    That last sentence, although clearly sarcastic, also implies that he would have been happy to reprise the role if he had been contacted.

2. Alan Johnson has said, repeatedly, that Telltale attempted to contact Tom Wilson:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=413172&postcount=78
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=413178&postcount=81
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=413358&postcount=96
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=415028&postcount=175

I don't think either party would have cause to lie about this situation. If Wilson was contacted and declined the role, he could have said so in his YouTube comment. If Telltale didn't contact Wilson, they could have said they didn't. So, there was either a communications breakdown, or Tom Wilson's agent/manager/representative turned down the role on Wilson's behalf without consulting with him.
  • edited December 2010
    If it was the latter, Wilson should fire his agent since he could be missing out on other things as well.
  • edited December 2010
    maybe, just MAYBE, Wilson has distanced himself from the MOVIE franchise and told his agents not to disturb him about anything like BttF celebrations, reunions and such for whatever reason there might be - i don't know anything about his relationship with the franchise owners or if he just had enough about the movies like he expressed in a funny way in the Biff song.

However, maybe his agents wrongly interpreted that as not to pass him the offer for video game either, which Wilson might accept, and as we know it, he has already done a fantastic video game role as Maniac in Wing Commander 3 and 4.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.