BTTF Ep 5: OUTATIME Predictions thread (Spoilers Warning!)

Comments

• As I started to play 'Double Visions', I thought that we had the personality of "Old Doc' back through FCB... (meaning that he is willing to put back things as the way they were)

But NOW, he's evil again! And he's probably going to try to get Emmet and Edna back together again, and try to mess up Marty's timeline....

"... son of a bitch..."

Yeah i'm not sure if i like the way doc was written, even his visual appearance (hair for instance) looks similar to old doc. Just because marty has convinced him of an older timeline shouldn't automatically restore his former personality. Mind you I actually didnt think that FCB would go back with marty to 1931, originally figured marty would go back by himself so the timeline would transfer around him.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah i'm not sure if i like the way doc was written, even his visual appearance (hair for instance) looks similar to old doc. Just because marty has convinced him of an older timeline shouldn't automatically restore his former personality. Mind you I actually didnt think that FCB would go back with marty to 1931, originally figured marty would go back by himself so the timeline would transfer around him.

That's what I thought too. And in a way, I can't blame Citizen Brown. Edna was a very unhappy person in the original timeline.
  • edited April 2011
    Edna was a very unhappy person in the original timeline.
    Speaking of which, did anyone choose the dialogue option that says Edna's future is 'Happy and Fufilled'? I chose 'Alone and Miserable' which catapulted the whole 'I feel bad for Edna' conversation but I'm wondering how he would've reacted if you lied to him and chose the other option.
  • edited April 2011
    I hesitate to call FCB 'evil', if only for the reason that his time travelling with Marty has much more personal investment. Certainly he sees the hyperauthoritarian Edna, his wife of 1986, as a dangerous woman and wastes no time in bringing Marty out of his present-day Hill Valley.

As soon as the duo reach 1931, FCB supports Marty's plans at first. As we delve further into 1931, we see FCB's feelings towards Edna work against him as he speaks with her throughout Episode 4 as Carl Sagan. Edna dropped the biggest hints herself - Emmett was loyal, moreso than Marty realized. This shouldn't be mistaken as a sign that Edna and FCB are evil, but their own particular viewpoints and experiences turn them into effective antagonists that are just as fearsome as the Tannens.

I'm also amazed that Young EB is still on speaking terms with Marty, though saving his life (again?) might have influenced that.
  • edited April 2011
    Speaking of which, did anyone choose the dialogue option that says Edna's future is 'Happy and Fufilled'? I chose 'Alone and Miserable' which catapulted the whole 'I feel bad for Edna' conversation but I'm wondering how he would've reacted if you lied to him and chose the other option.

No matter what you choose there, FCB pretty much forces Marty to tell the truth.
  • edited April 2011

Marty will say something which FCB can see through and ask Marty to answer him one more time (the "Happy and Fulfilled" option will disappear as well as the "you better not know" option, forcing you to eventually tell him the truth)
  • edited April 2011
    No matter what you choose there, FCB pretty much forces Marty to tell the truth.

I figured as much since it has to follow the default route of the main plot but I was just wondering about how it differed.
    ixemun wrote: »
    Marty will say something which FCB can see through and ask Marty to answer him one more time (the "Happy and Fulfilled" option will disappear as well as the "you better not know" option, forcing you to eventually tell him the truth)

Good enough for me. Thanks for satisfying my curiousity.
  • edited April 2011
    After that ending, I'm not sure I can handle another playthrough so soon...I sure hope that this series has a happy ending.
  • ixemun wrote: »

i chose "you better not know" first and then the truthful one.

Dialogues aren't really puzzles (or havent been so far), whatever option you pick does not change your path as you are forced to eventually select the proper dialogue. The only exception is if you are forced to use items with your dialogues.

I can understand where doc is coming from as would anyone who's ever been divorced or in a long relationship ending in breakup; at the end of it, you've obviously had some good times with that person and some not so great times. Obviously things ended badly with Edna but she also was his muse at one time and truly the only love of his life.
  • edited April 2011
    As I started to play 'Double Visions', I thought that we had the personality of "Old Doc' back through FCB... (meaning that he is willing to put back things as the way they were)

But NOW, he's evil again! And he's probably going to try to get Emmet and Edna back together again, and try to mess up Marty's timeline....

"... son of a bitch..."

It's not exactly evil. Remember his dialogue indicated he wanted the best of both worlds, with everything going well for Marty and everyone else, plus Edna together with FCB in a healthier relationship. FCB especially doesn't want Edna to end up a sad, lonely woman living in the past. Of course, this would mean Clara would die and Jules and Verne would never exist, but FCB has no emotional connection to them.

I'm thinking that either of the following will happen:

A. Young Edna is revealed to be as corrupted/evil as she was in the alternate timeline, and at the game's conclusion ends up the way she started or worse

B. Marty and Doc/FCB do decide to tweak Edna's future to make it better for her (Maybe they go back to 1885 again and save Marshall Strickland's life? Or maybe she gets hitched to the mustached guy at the expo/speakeasy? Or something else?)
  • edited April 2011
    ALV910 wrote: »
    Maybe they go back to 1885 again and save Marshall Strickland's life?

It's possible. They have brought up the Marshall's deleted scene fate a few times, in that seems-like-a-throwaway-line-but-might-actually-be-foreshadowing way Telltale loves so much.
  • edited April 2011
    Chappps wrote: »
    doc will probably go back to the future to bring "old edna" back to 1931.

Scheme scheme scheme

Can't happen. Remember, just like in BttF2 if The Delorean Travels forward in time from the alternate 1985, they end u p in the future of THAT 1985. So if doc leave in the delorean from this 1931, he will end up in It's future.

HOWEVER.. when Doc drove off after Marty told him what was going on the sound of the Time Circuits triggering was heard, If I recall correctly.

Lets summate what HAS to be answered.
    1. Trixie/Grandpa/Sylvie
    2. How did the original Edna's shoe and Einey end up in the Delorean in episode 1?
    3. now that Marty has revealed his real name and the creation of the time machine to Emmet, how does that effect the timeline?
    4. Who is the Speakeasy arsonist?

These are the only things that HAVE to be answered that I can think of. a resolution for Jennifer would be awesome, but.. unecessary.

Okay so:

Trixie HAS to be Sylvie, Right? I mean unless that is the plot of the "sequel". They wouldn't have made such a massive deal about it. however, the scene with Emmet at the expo might have crushed any romantic feelings "Grandpa" has for her.

I'm at a Total Loss on the Shoe and Einey, every way out of this that I can think of ends in a paradox, by BttF standards, if only this were Futurama, and we had paradox absorbing Crumple zones.

The Conversation at the End of Episode 4 is problematic. (I cant; help but think of the conversation in "The Impossible astronaut" episode of Doctor who. "He can;t know anything about his future, it will cross his own timeline".."He's done it before".. "and in all fairness the Universe did End."..) Emmet now knows of Marty. so when Marty comes to the house in the original BttF, he won't need to prove himself to Doc.. or the doc will not be shocked by the Delorean, or will this even change how the Flux Capacitor was realised, given the notebook we've been hauling around.

The Speakeasy Arsonist, is either going to be ridiculously simple or someone that has not even slightly been referenced in regard to it.. all Evidence is pointing to Edna. the conversation in Docs Garage, her reeactions at the end of Get Tannen, and hell, even when doc whispered "I know what you are doing" to her in this episode he might have been talking about that.

Everything else referenced through the gam cane be left hanging as long as we get answers to those, I think. and Hell #3 can be left in case of a sequel or even as a Cliffhanger.

though Above all that went through my head at the end of episode 4 was.

"So Episode 5 is Basically Marty Vs The doc? Heavy."

bring. it. on.
  • edited April 2011
    I feel like the next episode will end the series once and for all. The way I see it happening, though it confounds how the DeLorean gets to Marty in the beginning, it that FCB shows Edna how terrible she becomes, and she realizes the error of her ways. Her and Emmett get back together and just live a simple life, thus preventing all the time travel from ever happening, and causing Marty to live his life like a normal teenager (though in the 'ideal' timeline). That dream he had at the beginning is the time flow catching up to him.
  • edited April 2011
    2 further mysteries;

1) in ep1, edna wasn't suprised that her shoe was brand new and it's amazing she even recognized it as hers and acted like she did in ep3 when hearing the name einstein.

2) in ep1+2, Doc was reluctant to speak to Marty about trivial things and acted as if he knew more than he was letting on.

Possible solutions, assuming that we arn't playing as the original marty or there is a bit of predestination:

1) the ep1 old edna met future marty/doc/FCB who told her not to forget about the shoe...like a keepsake.

2) maby after Doc was arrested, some timetraveller (maby FCB or future Doc) told him certain things in order to prevent a paradox, without telling him anything too specific (like him vanishing at the end of ep2).
  • edited April 2011
    If there is such a thing like an Ideal Ending, then somehow BOTH old Doc and FCB should exist.
    Old Doc who eventually makes the DeLorean and marries Clara.
    FCB somehow able to exist in the fixed 1986 and living with Edna, thus making her not lonely and sad.

Wouldn't it be weird if during episode 5, Doc will have both his old and FCB personalities. Kinda like a person with Schitzofrania(sp?). The Doc part helping him while the FCB part is trying to stop him.
  • edited April 2011
    So if I understand the trailer correctly.

If Emmet doesn't finish his expo demonstration, he will be weak minded enough for Edna to seduce him again ?
  • edited April 2011
    anyone notice that at the end it said OUTTATIME instead OUTATIME?
  • If there is such a thing like an Ideal Ending, then somehow BOTH old Doc and FCB should exist.
    Old Doc who eventually makes the DeLorean and marries Clara.
    FCB somehow able to exist in the fixed 1986 and living with Edna, thus making her not lonely and sad.

Wouldn't it be weird if during episode 5, Doc will have both his old and FCB personalities. Kinda like a person with Schitzofrania(sp?). The Doc part helping him while the FCB part is trying to stop him.

it could happen; what happens if they travel back in 1931 to the time of the speakeasy burning down, would it not be old doc there? And the delorean does have automatic retreival settings miscalibrated so such could happen.
  • edited April 2011
    Okay, why is Edna's shoe still a mystery to people? When you first arrive in 1931, Einstein growls at her and she distinctly says, "That creature assaulted me once before!" Obviously this was done the night of, or following Doc's capture. He took her shoe, went back to the DeLorean after, possibly, retrieving the keys from Doc, nudged the door handle with his nose(unless there's a feature to allow Einstein to get into the car), got in and waited for the automatic retrieval system to kick in. This technically means that during the first time in 1931, there are, at points, three time machines, two Einsteins, two Martys, and two Emmett Browns. In any event, the shoe is not a mystery. Einstein took it from Edna before Marty ever arrived. The only real mystery is how he got in the time machine, but I think it's assumed that he's a damn smart animal. It can't be a "loop" of the time machine from Marty's dream for several reasons: 1) Marty's dream takes place during the first time travel experiment which means the DeLorean has no hover feature or Mr. Fusion which the car being used clearly does. 2) How would the shoe and the tape recorder have been in the DeLorean from the first time experiment? Especially the tape recorder since the auto retrieval system is a new feature. 3) Doc is married to Clara at that point. Again, how could it be the same DeLorean from BTTF1?

As for how this will go, you probably have no choice but to go against Citizen Brown's wishes. What we saw was probably only a set-up for the first little bit of the episode. Remember the preview for Double Visions. It didn't show much of what was going to happen in 1931 and most of the preview focused on just the part with Citizen Brown getting Citizen Plus'ed.
  • As for how this will go, you probably have no choice but to go against Citizen Brown's wishes. What we saw was probably only a set-up for the first little bit of the episode. Remember the preview for Double Visions. It didn't show much of what was going to happen in 1931 and most of the preview focused on just the part with Citizen Brown getting Citizen Plus'ed.

Yeah and jennifer was shown almost as much in the preview of episode 4 as the actual episode itself!

I think what the preview sets up is just what you've said; for the first time it will be Marty working against doc (well he kind of was in episode 3 but doc didnt know what was going on).
  • edited April 2011
    I do agree that the Trixie subplot will be resolved in the fifth episode, but I remain thoroughly unconvinced that Trixie = Sylvia.

1. Marty is incredibly good at recognizing past/future versions of people he knows, to the point that he keeps calling them by inappropriate titles (he slipped and called George "dad" in the first movie, he was forced to convince Artie that "Grandpa" was a code name, and he keeps incessantly referring to Emmett as "Doc".) How many times has he seen Trixie up close?

2. Artie has been (sorta kinda) dating Trixie for two months in Episode 4, and Episode 2 established they'd known each other longer than that. Not mentioning she's from Canada is one thing, but not mentioning her real name?

3. In the timeline where Kid Tannen takes over, the McFly family is still going, implying Artie and Sylvia got together in that timeline. This is still possible (Kid states in Episode 2 that he's not looking for a long-term relationship with Trixie) but it seems off to me.

I'm not saying Trixie CAN'T be Sylvia, just that I'm unconvinced by the evidence we've seen - if anything, I considered Episode 4 stronger evidence than ever against it!
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah and jennifer was shown almost as much in the preview of episode 4 as the actual episode itself!

I think what the preview sets up is just what you've said; for the first time it will be Marty working against doc (well he kind of was in episode 3 but doc didnt know what was going on).

I think you are right.

Okay, why is Edna's shoe still a mystery to people? When you first arrive in 1931, Einstein growls at her and she distinctly says, "That creature assaulted me once before!" Obviously this was done the night of, or following Doc's capture. He took her shoe, went back to the DeLorean after, possibly, retrieving the keys from Doc, nudged the door handle with his nose(unless there's a feature to allow Einstein to get into the car), got in and waited for the automatic retrieval system to kick in. This technically means that during the first time in 1931, there are, at points, three time machines, two Einsteins, two Martys, and two Emmett Browns. In any event, the shoe is not a mystery. Einstein took it from Edna before Marty ever arrived. The only real mystery is how he got in the time machine, but I think it's assumed that he's a damn smart animal. It can't be a "loop" of the time machine from Marty's dream for several reasons: 1) Marty's dream takes place during the first time travel experiment which means the DeLorean has no hover feature or Mr. Fusion which the car being used clearly does. 2) How would the shoe and the tape recorder have been in the DeLorean from the first time experiment? Especially the tape recorder since the auto retrieval system is a new feature. 3) Doc is married to Clara at that point. Again, how could it be the same DeLorean from BTTF1?

As for how this will go, you probably have no choice but to go against Citizen Brown's wishes. What we saw was probably only a set-up for the first little bit of the episode. Remember the preview for Double Visions. It didn't show much of what was going to happen in 1931 and most of the preview focused on just the part with Citizen Brown getting Citizen Plus'ed.

How her shoe got into the car isn't the mystery, it's her reaction thats make people think thats there's more to it.
    she reacted the same way in ep3 when hearing the name einstein.
    Also, how does she know it's her shoe? It didnt have a special marking on it that told her and even someone like her would expect her shoe look as old as the one she still had.

Just had a crazy idea...
    what if edna and doc still end up getting together and doc still events the time machine. Then something happens and doc says he wishes he never invented the time machine. Because Edna incouraged him differently this time (causing him to invent the time machine), she feels she needs to stop her and emmet getting back together at the science fair. so soon after the beginning of ep5, the happy and kind old edna appears and helps Marty and figures out what happend. During ep5, you have to help her get her younger self get an interest in someone other than doc.
  • HeroicJay wrote: »
    I do agree that the Trixie subplot will be resolved in the fifth episode, but I remain thoroughly unconvinced that Trixie = Sylvia.

1. Marty is incredibly good at recognizing past/future versions of people he knows, to the point that he keeps calling them by inappropriate titles (he slipped and called George "dad" in the first movie, he was forced to convince Artie that "Grandpa" was a code name, and he keeps incessantly referring to Emmett as "Doc".) How many times has he seen Trixie up close?

2. Artie has been (sorta kinda) dating Trixie for two months in Episode 4, and Episode 2 established they'd known each other longer than that. Not mentioning she's from Canada is one thing, but not mentioning her real name?

3. In the timeline where Kid Tannen takes over, the McFly family is still going, implying Artie and Sylvia got together in that timeline. This is still possible (Kid states in Episode 2 that he's not looking for a long-term relationship with Trixie) but it seems off to me.

I'm not saying Trixie CAN'T be Sylvia, just that I'm unconvinced by the evidence we've seen - if anything, I considered Episode 4 stronger evidence than ever against it!

1. Most of us have probably seen pictures of our parents when they were younger (hence why he recognizes Lorraine in 1955 before being told who she was) but our grandparents nearly 40 years before we were born? Not inconceivable that marty may not recognize his own grandmother.

2. it could be possible she changed her name TO sylvia, possibly to get away from her former life

3. IIRC right before dropping off artie and leaving for 1986 in episode two, they convince him to lay low for a little while and then return to hill valley. By the time he returns from hiding, kid has likely moved on from trixie.

You'd think it would come up at some point though in dialogue if artie is dating a girl other than marty's grandma. And marty hasn't shown any kind of emotional attachment to trixie so it's likely that if she IS his grandmother, he doesnt know.
  • edited April 2011
    HeroicJay wrote: »
    1. Marty is incredibly good at recognizing past/future versions of people he knows, to the point that he keeps calling them by inappropriate titles (he slipped and called George "dad" in the first movie

But he didn't actually recognize George until Biff approached him. I'd say calling Marty "incredibly good" at recognizing people is an overstatement. :P
  • edited April 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    But he didn't actually recognize George until Biff approached him. I'd say calling Marty "incredibly good" at recognizing people is an overstatement. :P

That proves the point that he doesn't know what his grandmother looked like when she was young, and only recognises names.
  • edited April 2011
    If I remember well, in the first episode Edna conversation, Mary mentions that they used to drink gin out of slippers in speakeasies, at least according to his GRANDMA. Now, Stella Baines might be THAT grandma, but that quote fits Trixie/Sylvia extremely well. Stella warned Lorraine against smoking and drinking; the laid-back attitude in the gin quote suggests the other grandma, Sylvia.
  • :D:D
    feverfew wrote: »
    If I remember well, in the first episode Edna conversation, Mary mentions that they used to drink gin out of slippers in speakeasies, at least according to his GRANDMA. Now, Stella Baines might be THAT grandma, but that quote fits Trixie/Sylvia extremely well. Stella warned Lorraine against smoking and drinking; the laid-back attitude in the gin quote suggests the other grandma, Sylvia.

Yeah but Lorraine warns her kids about doing things she was doing in 1955
    :)

i dont know if marty doesnt recognize george in 1955. He doesn't seem to look at him until biff shows up.
  • edited April 2011
    i dont know if marty doesnt recognize george in 1955. He doesn't seem to look at him until biff shows up.

good point, did the same happen with Artie?
    then again, Artie looks Identical to George.
  • edited April 2011
    He didn't realize Artie was George until Tannen started scolding him.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks.
  • edited April 2011
    Kamagawa wrote: »
    "cinimatic chase through Hill Valley's past, present and future".
    It's actually a "CLIMACTIC" chase if I'm reading the menu screen correctly, not a "Cinematic" chase.
  • edited April 2011
    He doesn't "recognize" George in 1955 at first only because he doesn't see him. But he does say "Biff!" when the only context he has are his appearance and the fact that he just said "Hey, McFly!"

The point, though, was that he later accidentally calls 1955 George "Dad...dad daddio".

Like I said, Trixie COULD be Sylvia. I'm just not convinced. There's no real evidence of it, except that (for the time being) Artie and Trixie are sorta-dating, and didn't Doc say back in episode 2 that George isn't supposed to be born until 1938? A lot can happen in seven years.
  • edited April 2011
    I think the "Marty against doc" thing is being blown out of proportion. I think that Doc takes Edna and shows her the future of the way she is in order for her to change her ways. I really want Clara and the kids to show up. =(
  • edited April 2011
    They won't show up. It's already confirmed in-game that, without Emmett being on his destined path to create the time machine in 1985, Clara Clayton dies in 1885 by falling into the ravine. Hence Jules and Verne don't exist either. And FCB doesn't realize that, nor would he care. He never knew them, so unlike Marty, he has no emotional attachment to any of them. His emotional attachment is to Edna. Which is part of the problem.
  • edited April 2011
    HeroicJay wrote: »
    The point, though, was that he later accidentally calls 1955 George "Dad...dad daddio".

I'm not sure what that has to do with his ability to recognize people. He's certainly spent enough time with him to get used to the idea that he's George McFly; he's just not used to referring to George by anything other than "Dad".
  • edited April 2011
    So far we know that FCB's intentions are to get Emmet and Edna Back together. At the end of the Episode he picks up Edna and probably reveals Marty's plan into separating the two. So she realizes that and tries to get back with emmet. However FCB also has a plan to change Emmet's view of science and sabotage his entry into the Expo using Edna (since he can't run into his past self...paradox stuff you know) . He succeeds and Edna returns to Emmets side having her lead him to another path as FCB intended when he said it in the teaser video. however since FCB has little knowledge of time travel (which marty points out in ep. 4 when FCB was walking around town not even knowing that running into his past self could cause a paradox) his meddling would have caused an effect that destroys his reality (the one where Edna is a mind altering bitch) and he begins to disappear (like the deleted scene where biff begins to disappear because he altered his own timeline. since he created this new delorean its beginning the proccess of being erased as well. not only that but the Doc's Journal with all his plans for the Delorean begin to Disappear as well since he destroys emmets interest in science. So there's a sense of urgency for Marty to either change emmets mind on science or use the delorean to travel back to 1986 before it disappears completely. however since the delorean is a bit busted it could fling him to the future...maybe 2011. Doc did mention he was visiting Marty in the year 2011 in ep 1 so that could fullfill the "future" part of the premise for Ep. 5. (a climactic chase in hill valley's past present and future)

this is as much as I can tell from the teaser video at the end of Ep 4.
  • edited April 2011
    Xaxir wrote: »
    I feel like the next episode will end the series once and for all. The way I see it happening, though it confounds how the DeLorean gets to Marty in the beginning, it that FCB shows Edna how terrible she becomes, and she realizes the error of her ways. Her and Emmett get back together and just live a simple life, thus preventing all the time travel from ever happening, and causing Marty to live his life like a normal teenager (though in the 'ideal' timeline). That dream he had at the beginning is the time flow catching up to him.

wow...thats an amazing theory....the reason the Delorean in the dream vanishes is because..Marty doesn't go on his journey after all (part 1,2, and 3 movies) ....."Doc" disappears because he never invents the time machine.....Marty may have memories of his adventures...but Doc won't..and no one else will. Maybe the final episode, the final scene, is Doc, saying goodbye to marty, and telling him...when he goes back to 1986.....the Emmet Brown there will have never met him....it will be a teary eyed goodbye.
  • edited April 2011
    wow...thats an amazing theory....the reason the Delorean in the dream vanishes is because..Marty doesn't go on his journey after all (part 1,2, and 3 movies) ....."Doc" disappears because he never invents the time machine.....Marty may have memories of his adventures...but Doc won't..and no one else will. Maybe the final episode, the final scene, is Doc, saying goodbye to marty, and telling him...when he goes back to 1986.....the Emmet Brown there will have never met him....it will be a teary eyed goodbye.

:eek:I hope not! That would easily rule out a second season anywhere down the road!
  • edited April 2011
    But remember, in episode one Doc says that failing at the expo was an important event in his life that helped him fuel his live of science, but FCB doesnt know that. Maybe FCB's plan will make young Emmett fail, and thus help the original timeline get back to normal.
  • edited April 2011
    I think the "Marty against doc" thing is being blown out of proportion. I think that Doc takes Edna and shows her the future of the way she is in order for her to change her ways. I really want Clara and the kids to show up. =(

I say again: He Can't.
    By the Standards of the BttF universe set up in BttF 2, if the Delorean leaves the Alternate 1985 they will travel into IT's future. So, here if FCB takes Edna forward from 1931 at this point, it will be a future where she and Emmet are not together, and not the Citizen Brown timeline, but not yet the "Real" timeline, due to the fact that Emmet has not won the Expo yet.

(also can I say how amazing it is that we have 3 versions of Doc Brown, and we have been given such an easy way to label them in Emmet, Doc and FCB. Great job on TellTales part, IMO)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.